Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 28, 2011
5:30:58 PM
View profile
ATT 3G and 4G South Florida Outage

It is absolutely ridiculous and completely unacceptable that you have a cellphone outage affecting 3 counties in South Florida.  What type of network is this?  What redundancies and contingencies do you have?  Do you realize how may customers use you as a lifeline?  What are we to expect during a real emergency like a Hurricane?

It is absolutely ridiculous and completely unacceptable that you have a cellphone outage affecting 3 counties in South Florida.  What type of network is this?  What redundancies and contingencies do you have?  Do you realize how may customers use you as a lifeline?  What are we to expect during a real emergency like a Hurricane?

ATT 3G and 4G South Florida Outage

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 5:46:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by pamelaz on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:31:16 PM

It happens {Please keep it courteous}

It happens {Please keep it courteous}

Re: ATT 3G and 4G South Florida Outage

[ Edited ]
2 of 10 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 5:49:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

It's not about Facebook, Twitter and social media.  Note of that is critical.  It's for the many customers that rely on ATT for critical communications.  Are you going to tell me that there is a single point of failure that will bring down the entire network in South Florida?  What type of network design is this?  Where are the contingencies?

It's not about Facebook, Twitter and social media.  Note of that is critical.  It's for the many customers that rely on ATT for critical communications.  Are you going to tell me that there is a single point of failure that will bring down the entire network in South Florida?  What type of network design is this?  Where are the contingencies?

3 of 10 (1,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 5:52:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

I agree with you 100% Jose... I am an IT administrator and know what you mean. wheres the redundancy at?? I hope we are getting reimbursed for the outage

I agree with you 100% Jose... I am an IT administrator and know what you mean. wheres the redundancy at?? I hope we are getting reimbursed for the outage

4 of 10 (1,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 8:06:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry att you NEED to step up your game… att service is poor and they have the highest rates out of any provider. att charge $140+ for unlimited everything, tmobile is just $80, sprint $110 and verizon $120..

plus their network speeds are slow due to over crowded bandwidth, and their 4G network is really an enhanced HSPA+ 3G network that they managed to get the ITU to loosen the definition of 4G so they could get it included as 4G… marketing.
this article is also good.
http://www.cellphonedoc.com/att-florida-outages/

Sorry att you NEED to step up your game… att service is poor and they have the highest rates out of any provider. att charge $140+ for unlimited everything, tmobile is just $80, sprint $110 and verizon $120..

plus their network speeds are slow due to over crowded bandwidth, and their 4G network is really an enhanced HSPA+ 3G network that they managed to get the ITU to loosen the definition of 4G so they could get it included as 4G… marketing.
this article is also good.
http://www.cellphonedoc.com/att-florida-outages/

5 of 10 (1,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 12:22:21 PM
(0)
Guru

Have you yourself CALLED AT&T to report he outage?

Have you yourself CALLED AT&T to report he outage?

6 of 10 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2011 3:13:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

and what if their cell phone is the only phone they have? More people are doing that these days.  Anyway, if an outage is affecting 3 counties I'm sure they know about it.  They're just notorious for not doing anything about it.  Or being incredibly slow to respond. 

and what if their cell phone is the only phone they have? More people are doing that these days.  Anyway, if an outage is affecting 3 counties I'm sure they know about it.  They're just notorious for not doing anything about it.  Or being incredibly slow to respond. 

7 of 10 (1,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 12:49:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

What really happened if it ONLY happened for an hour is either an outage or a software upgrade the engineers are doing across the country on the network to boost network voice and data capacity using the latest release and firmware.

What really happened if it ONLY happened for an hour is either an outage or a software upgrade the engineers are doing across the country on the network to boost network voice and data capacity using the latest release and firmware.

8 of 10 (1,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 12:50:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

Usually this stuff happens in the middle of the night. You just happened to notice it.

It's probably the HSPA+ switch-on which allows AT&T to DOUBLE VOICE CAPACITY USING THE SAME SPECTRUM.

Usually this stuff happens in the middle of the night. You just happened to notice it.

It's probably the HSPA+ switch-on which allows AT&T to DOUBLE VOICE CAPACITY USING THE SAME SPECTRUM.

9 of 10 (1,124 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 4:08:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm wondering if the issue has been corrected as I still have very spotting coverage (especially in locations where I got 5 bars I'm now picking up 1-2 bars with internet timing out frequently.

I'm wondering if the issue has been corrected as I still have very spotting coverage (especially in locations where I got 5 bars I'm now picking up 1-2 bars with internet timing out frequently.

10 of 10 (1,115 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments