Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 30, 2011
3:39:58 PM
AT&T you dissapoint me
Edited by jamileh on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:42:47 AM

I was on the phone for a whole hour just to get the Silent Update (OTA Update) for my Samsung captivate 2.2 non rooted

I called for the issue that the non market security block. Att released an update disabling the security to download third party apps.

A whole entire hour on the phone just to hear the words that I have to wait 72 hours to check if it was disabled but I know its not going to because att told me the exact same bull last week so you know what att I'm really starting a case on this cause your service is like talking to <keep it courteous>.

I was on the phone for a whole hour just to get the Silent Update (OTA Update) for my Samsung captivate 2.2 non rooted

I called for the issue that the non market security block. Att released an update disabling the security to download third party apps.

A whole entire hour on the phone just to hear the words that I have to wait 72 hours to check if it was disabled but I know its not going to because att told me the exact same bull last week so you know what att I'm really starting a case on this cause your service is like talking to <keep it courteous>.

AT&T you dissapoint me

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2011 8:36:01 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 30, 2011 at 8:38:51 PM

The push update is not update on demand.

The push update is not update on demand.

Re: AT&T you dissapoint me

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 5:03:50 AM
(0)
Adventurer

Try the online chat.  I got the update in a few through the online chat.

Try the online chat.  I got the update in a few through the online chat.

3 of 9 (616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 8:43:38 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

LuisAlvarez96 wrote:

Hello - I'm sorry you're having a problem with this update. If you'd like, I will have someone contact you directly to assist. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

LuisAlvarez96 wrote:

Hello - I'm sorry you're having a problem with this update. If you'd like, I will have someone contact you directly to assist. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 9 (601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 9:47:11 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Thylar on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:53:53 AM

So I am to understand that we need to contact AT&T to ask for the update to allow for non market apps? I was under the impression that it was a hotfix that would just happen, which it obviously hasn't for me.

Seeing as my two month old Captivate will no longer connect through USB to a computer or even connect to my wifi, and has the added benefit of the cache being too small to be particularly useful, I can't even root my phone (yes, I know it voids the warranty but since this is my second Captivate in less than a year, with the same problems I might add, and my original warranty runs out in about 2 months it was suggested to me as a possible solution for some of my problems). Non market apps would at least let me install the larger apps from an .apk file.

Where do I sign up to get the fix for this problem?

So I am to understand that we need to contact AT&T to ask for the update to allow for non market apps? I was under the impression that it was a hotfix that would just happen, which it obviously hasn't for me.

Seeing as my two month old Captivate will no longer connect through USB to a computer or even connect to my wifi, and has the added benefit of the cache being too small to be particularly useful, I can't even root my phone (yes, I know it voids the warranty but since this is my second Captivate in less than a year, with the same problems I might add, and my original warranty runs out in about 2 months it was suggested to me as a possible solution for some of my problems). Non market apps would at least let me install the larger apps from an .apk file.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 12:40:32 PM
(0)
Guru

Thylar wrote:

If the USB port is nonfunctional, you have a defective device, take it in for warranty support.

Thylar wrote:

If the USB port is nonfunctional, you have a defective device, take it in for warranty support.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

6 of 9 (374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 1:17:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Thylar on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:22:17 PM

I have once already. The same thing happened to the last phone. It will still charge through USB, it just won't let me do data transfer anymore. I always get that "...device has malfunctioned..." error. AT&T doesn't acknowledge the problem as a warranty issue. They say it is a driver problem, even though the phone used to connect just fine and then decided one day to not work anymore.

On a bright note, I did figure out how to get it to connect to my wifi again. Found it in another topic/forum. You have to use the AllShare app for some reason now. Apparently it is a AT&T Froyo 2.2 ROM problem, which means it will never get fixed...

Now if I could just get the sideloading fix done...

I have once already. The same thing happened to the last phone. It will still charge through USB, it just won't let me do data transfer anymore. I always get that "...device has malfunctioned..." error. AT&T doesn't acknowledge the problem as a warranty issue. They say it is a driver problem, even though the phone used to connect just fine and then decided one day to not work anymore.

On a bright note, I did figure out how to get it to connect to my wifi again. Found it in another topic/forum. You have to use the AllShare app for some reason now. Apparently it is a AT&T Froyo 2.2 ROM problem, which means it will never get fixed...

[ Edited ]
7 of 9 (370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:08:36 AM
(0)
Guru

Thylar wrote:

Have you tried the device with a different USB cable or a different PC?

Have you tried an alternative interface method?  All Samsung phones are multiprotocol devices - sometimes if the drivers are screwed up for one function, the drivers for another function work fine.  For example, does ADB (USB debugging) also fail?  (Google ADB or, on Windows, Droid Explorer for more details.)

Another thing to try would be an Ubuntu LiveCD - does USB storage work with that?  That takes drivers out of the picture, as Ubuntu has its own drivers.  The LiveCD can run straight from CD without ever installing to or touching your hard drive.

Thylar wrote:

Have you tried the device with a different USB cable or a different PC?

Have you tried an alternative interface method?  All Samsung phones are multiprotocol devices - sometimes if the drivers are screwed up for one function, the drivers for another function work fine.  For example, does ADB (USB debugging) also fail?  (Google ADB or, on Windows, Droid Explorer for more details.)

Another thing to try would be an Ubuntu LiveCD - does USB storage work with that?  That takes drivers out of the picture, as Ubuntu has its own drivers.  The LiveCD can run straight from CD without ever installing to or touching your hard drive.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

8 of 9 (314 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 1:47:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well, I have tried different computers and cables, though I can't try the stock cable anymore because mine died eight months in.

Putting my phone in USB Debugging mode generates the same "malfunctioned" error, but I haven't tried any other options. I will look into that this weekend. Thank you for the suggestions.

Well, I have tried different computers and cables, though I can't try the stock cable anymore because mine died eight months in.

Putting my phone in USB Debugging mode generates the same "malfunctioned" error, but I haven't tried any other options. I will look into that this weekend. Thank you for the suggestions.

9 of 9 (295 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments