AT&T wants to stall ics

Scholar

AT&T wants to stall ics

AT&T wants to stall ics because ics has a setting where you can set up your device to stop using data and not go over your limit
Message 1 of 19 (1,493 Views)
Explorer

Re: AT&T wants to stall ics

I can't imagine that to be true or else they wouldn't carry any phones with ICS, I'd think.

Message 2 of 19 (1,474 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

goingocean wrote:

I can't imagine that to be true or else they wouldn't carry any phones with ICS, I'd think.

That's true.  One X already has ICS out of the box, and Vivid has the ICS update.  And its easy for AT&T to instruct phone manufacturers to lock out features to their liking.  For instance, on the One X, they removed a lot of stock HTC apps (present on other versions of the One X), locked the default APN,  and removed the basic feature to switch off LTE and/or 3G.

So the OP's theory is likely not true.  AT&T has always been slow to release software updates.  This goes years back to old Windows Mobile days, for those of you that have been around here that long.

Message 3 of 19 (1,462 Views)
Explorer

It won't matter for me soon anyway - I just found out the the international version Galaxy Note is being released in PINK!  

So, I'll have the world's most perfect phone (for me) WITH the ICS update AND in PINK!  

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Message 4 of 19 (1,450 Views)

My understanding of the AT&T ICS Stall is several fold:

One is that ICS is by default, rooted.  AT&T is against any possibility to override their data settings.  A rooted phone would allow things like tethering that AT&T wants to charge a mint for. (which I think is redundant as you pay for data, then you have to pay extra to tether?? C'mon guys....)

The other is that ICS changes the game as for what is upported, how it is supported, and how calls are handled.  AT&T is usually slow in moving to such changes.  It also means that they would have to deal with user issues of wanting to upgrade their phones to suport ICS.

Lastly, the memory size and core CPU power needed to run ICS would make it a high end phone.  While many phones could run it, it would not run as smoothly as one would like.

Message 5 of 19 (1,438 Views)

ICS is NOT rooted by default.

Message 6 of 19 (1,437 Views)
Teacher

ICS works fine on my i717.  So the phone is not the issue.  I pay for tethering so thats not a valid reason.  It's got all the AT&T bloatware that it came with.  How bout someone that actually represents AT&T actually respond and everyone else keep their stupid hypothosis to them selves?  By that I mean who cares why u THINK AT&T is milking it.  You don't work for em, you don't know.  

Message 7 of 19 (1,422 Views)
Professor

SkeltonGoPhone wrote:

My understanding of the AT&T ICS Stall is several fold:

One is that ICS is by default, rooted.  AT&T is against any possibility to override their data settings.  A rooted phone would allow things like tethering that AT&T wants to charge a mint for. (which I think is redundant as you pay for data, then you have to pay extra to tether?? C'mon guys....)

The other is that ICS changes the game as for what is upported, how it is supported, and how calls are handled.  AT&T is usually slow in moving to such changes.  It also means that they would have to deal with user issues of wanting to upgrade their phones to suport ICS.

Lastly, the memory size and core CPU power needed to run ICS would make it a high end phone.  While many phones could run it, it would not run as smoothly as one would like.

This is all nonsense.  ICS is already running on a couple AT&T phones.

Message 8 of 19 (1,408 Views)
Scholar

Again AT&T from AT&Tfacebook wrote that the ICS update will be released in the coming months. You can read all about it here:
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22620&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=34101&mapcode=consumer
I checked the URL n saw that the announcement was announced on March 22, 2012. There written HTC Vivid™ will be the first U.S. smartphone to receive Ice Cream Sandwich as an update and the first to be issued by a wireless carrier. It will be followed by several other AT&T devices in the coming months. Now its June 2012. Coming months is not minimum satisfactory date or time frame
Thanx in Advance
Message 9 of 19 (1,388 Views)
Contributor

Really guys I don't want to be negative but honestly this is typical Att behavior. Look at there customer service ratings vs other carriers. I also took Att at their word for the millionth time and and bought a note expecting ICS soon after No ICS no date no nothing so I've accepted this company for what it is. I've been played for the last time by Att and Im cancelling my two accounts after over 10 years and will be going to another carrier. I stuck around because of my unlimited data plans but that turned out to be a scam also Ill sell my note on ebay to recover some value. Enough is enough. 1st and last post.
Message 10 of 19 (1,322 Views)
Employee

Enjoy not getting updates on time with [insert company here]

So many things go into play when pushing updates that yes it takes time. Root your phone and get it now, if you don't want to root it you don't really need ICS
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 19 (1,290 Views)
Former Employee

Or buy a Google Nexus device, I believe it's the surest way to get all updates right away.

Message 12 of 19 (1,237 Views)
Employee

Its the only way to.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 19 (1,231 Views)
Scholar

buy Nexus or still showing that ICS is building properly for Note or Skyrocket or SII divices are not The Excuses. SII and Skyrocket was in att Nov. 2011 n now June 2012. n those devices are the milestone in Smartphone world. In any type of business Customer handling and their satisfaction is the key to that business.
Message 14 of 19 (1,220 Views)
Scholar

T-Mobile just announced there release date for ics on the galaxy s2 on coming 11th June. check http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755
When is at&t gonna get ICS for SII, Skyrocket and Note??

Thanx in Advance
Message 15 of 19 (1,215 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.