Helpful Links

AT&T wants to stall ics

Scholar

AT&T wants to stall ics

AT&T wants to stall ics because ics has a setting where you can set up your device to stop using data and not go over your limit
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 19
Professor

Re: AT&T wants to stall ics

JayBird357 wrote:
Really guys I don't want to be negative but honestly this is typical Att behavior. Look at there customer service ratings vs other carriers. I also took Att at their word for the millionth time and and bought a note expecting ICS soon after No ICS no date no nothing so I've accepted this company for what it is. I've been played for the last time by Att and Im cancelling my two accounts after over 10 years and will be going to another carrier. I stuck around because of my unlimited data plans but that turned out to be a scam also Ill sell my note on ebay to recover some value. Enough is enough. 1st and last post.

I suppose that you are not around to read this response, but I'll post it anyway.  I don't understand why you would leave AT&T due to Android updates.  AT&T was the first carrier to update a non-Nexus device.

I understand more than most people about wanting the latest and greatest phone technology.  I also act on this; I have three phones with ICS and could have a fourth if I chose to update it.  My point is that the phones work properly on Gingerbread.  ICS isn't fixing an issue that prevents the phone from working as it should. 

I can understand wanting the update.  But any carrier that you leave for will be just as slow or even slower than AT&T.  Unless you take the other suggestions of getting the international versions of the phones then using them on prepaid carriers.  That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

Message 16 of 19
Employee

Just root your phone and get it now
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 19

21stNow wrote:

JayBird357 wrote:
Really guys I don't want to be negative but honestly this is typical Att behavior. Look at there customer service ratings vs other carriers. I also took Att at their word for the millionth time and and bought a note expecting ICS soon after No ICS no date no nothing so I've accepted this company for what it is. I've been played for the last time by Att and Im cancelling my two accounts after over 10 years and will be going to another carrier. I stuck around because of my unlimited data plans but that turned out to be a scam also Ill sell my note on ebay to recover some value. Enough is enough. 1st and last post.

I suppose that you are not around to read this response, but I'll post it anyway.  I don't understand why you would leave AT&T due to Android updates.  AT&T was the first carrier to update a non-Nexus device.

I understand more than most people about wanting the latest and greatest phone technology.  I also act on this; I have three phones with ICS and could have a fourth if I chose to update it.  My point is that the phones work properly on Gingerbread.  ICS isn't fixing an issue that prevents the phone from working as it should. 

I can understand wanting the update.  But any carrier that you leave for will be just as slow or even slower than AT&T.  Unless you take the other suggestions of getting the international versions of the phones then using them on prepaid carriers.  That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

AT&T was the first carrier to update a non-Nexus device?

Their track record says otherwise.

Only North American carrier not to deploy Froyo to ANY devices in 2010

NINE month lag to deploy Gingerbread to the Captivate compared to I9000 - even though the Captivate had so few differences from the I9000 that it took community developers weeks to fully port the I9000 Gingerbread release.

AT&T is now at least two months behind on the I777, and so far their releases are full of bugs they have added compared to the I9100.  The I9100 and I777 are 99% identical - I had I9100 ICS firmwares fully working on I777 with the exception of NFC (oh wait, it doesn't work on any released I777 firmware anyway...) within a week of kernel source release.

AT&T claims that these delays are for the purposes of quality control, but that's utter B-S.  Look at the I777 - Users STILL have to use the horrifically broken UCKK6 firmware unless they void their warranty.  I777 users haven't even received a bugfix Gingerbread release to undo the utter crappiness that is UCKK6.

When my contract is over, I'm switching to Straight Talk unless AT&T is offering discounts for  BYOD users by then.  I am NOT paying a penalty of $25+/month for a subsidy I can't use.  (AT&T has not released an acceptable subsidized device since the I777, and I don't see this changing any time soon.)

Message 18 of 19
Highlighted
Professor

The HTC Vivid (an AT&T device) was the first device that I know of in the US to be updated to ICS.  In keeping with the title of the thread, that is the only Android version that I was referring to.

Edit:  I agree that AT&T should offer BYOD discounts.

Message 19 of 19
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support