Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 4, 2009
12:28:46 PM
View profile
AT&T to charge a $35 restocking fee if you return a phone in first 30 days
I was just at an AT&T store and found out that you can no longer try a new phone for 30 days and return it without being charged a $35 restocking fee. I guess too many people were trying phones out and returning them with minor scratches, etc and they could not be sold as new phones.
I was just at an AT&T store and found out that you can no longer try a new phone for 30 days and return it without being charged a $35 restocking fee. I guess too many people were trying phones out and returning them with minor scratches, etc and they could not be sold as new phones.

AT&T to charge a $35 restocking fee if you return a phone in first 30 days

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2009 12:33:29 PM
(0)
Master

That's too bad.  Smiley Sad    Another case of a few bad apples ruining the whole bunch.

That's too bad.  Smiley Sad    Another case of a few bad apples ruining the whole bunch.

Re: AT&T to charge a $35 restocking fee if you return a phone in first 30 days

2 of 18 (2,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2009 1:14:36 PM
(0)
Master
what happens if your phone is only thirty five dollars? You basically return the thirty five dollar phone... to purchase another device.. and spend the money to return it..lol..
what happens if your phone is only thirty five dollars? You basically return the thirty five dollar phone... to purchase another device.. and spend the money to return it..lol..

3 of 18 (2,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2009 3:14:57 PM
(0)
Professor
I thought it was 10% restocking fee?

4 of 18 (2,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2009 4:03:25 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Eileen89 on Oct 4, 2009 at 4:09:29 PM

Doppler808 wrote:

It used to be 10%, however, as of a few months ago, AT&T changed it to a flat $35 fee on all wireless devices except the iPhone. Per AT&T's web site; 
  • A 10% restocking fee applies to all iPhone purchases, except where prohibited. The 10% restocking fee does not apply If the device was purchased without AT&T service (device only sale) and returned unopened.
  • Message Edited by Irish Rose on 10-04-2009 07:09:29 PM

Doppler808 wrote:

It used to be 10%, however, as of a few months ago, AT&T changed it to a flat $35 fee on all wireless devices except the iPhone. Per AT&T's web site; 
  • A 10% restocking fee applies to all iPhone purchases, except where prohibited. The 10% restocking fee does not apply If the device was purchased without AT&T service (device only sale) and returned unopened.
  • Message Edited by Irish Rose on 10-04-2009 07:09:29 PM

[ Edited ]
    5 of 18 (2,554 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2009 4:07:02 PM
    (0)
    Master

guandalf wrote:
    I was just at an AT&T store and found out that you can no longer try a new phone for 30 days and return it without being charged a $35 restocking fee.

This  is AT&T's  return policy. 

guandalf wrote:
    I was just at an AT&T store and found out that you can no longer try a new phone for 30 days and return it without being charged a $35 restocking fee.

6 of 18 (2,553 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2009 4:23:05 PM
    (0)
    Professor

Irish Rose wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Yep. Like I said... $35, unless you have an iPhone and then it is 10% within the first 30 days.

Irish Rose wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Yep. Like I said... $35, unless you have an iPhone and then it is 10% within the first 30 days.

7 of 18 (2,546 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2009 4:37:55 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    Don't you like people who abuse the system?

8 of 18 (2,541 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2009 4:57:32 PM
    (0)
    Professor

Doppler808 wrote:

Not sure how you can abuse the system when you are charged $35 when you return a phone?

Doppler808 wrote:

Not sure how you can abuse the system when you are charged $35 when you return a phone?

9 of 18 (2,535 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2009 5:01:56 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    Exactly Smiley Happy before I know of a few people who go through 3-4 phones a month and cancel their contract and ended up not paying a cent.
    Exactly Smiley Happy before I know of a few people who go through 3-4 phones a month and cancel their contract and ended up not paying a cent.

10 of 18 (2,533 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2009 5:05:44 PM
    (0)
    Professor

Doppler808 wrote:

Oh. I always thought the 30 days courtesy was only for a single phone, and once your return/exchange you are stuck with the new one. Even today at the store, they told me I could do only once exchange.

Doppler808 wrote:

Oh. I always thought the 30 days courtesy was only for a single phone, and once your return/exchange you are stuck with the new one. Even today at the store, they told me I could do only once exchange.

11 of 18 (2,159 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 4, 2009 5:18:37 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    I think it may vary between areas. Hawaii at times are way to lax when it comes to policies.
    I think it may vary between areas. Hawaii at times are way to lax when it comes to policies.

12 of 18 (2,153 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 5, 2009 2:54:02 PM
    (0)
    Master

The exchange policy does only allow you to exchange once in 30 days.  If you don't like the second phone you try, well you're out of luck.  As we all know, Hawai'i is different!

guandalf wrote:

Doppler808 wrote:

The exchange policy does only allow you to exchange once in 30 days.  If you don't like the second phone you try, well you're out of luck.  As we all know, Hawai'i is different!

guandalf wrote:

Doppler808 wrote:

13 of 18 (2,128 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 5, 2009 3:03:32 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    I think it's due to the fact we are on a small island. If you are a tourist we know. If you live on the island chances are we know you or your family. It's a small island and pretty scarey. Meet a girl, exchange numbers, then see her at a family party. Then you have to ask yourself, "Are we related?" I think that's one of the reason it kinda lax here since chances are we know you or someone related to you lol
    I think it's due to the fact we are on a small island. If you are a tourist we know. If you live on the island chances are we know you or your family. It's a small island and pretty scarey. Meet a girl, exchange numbers, then see her at a family party. Then you have to ask yourself, "Are we related?" I think that's one of the reason it kinda lax here since chances are we know you or someone related to you lol

14 of 18 (2,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 5, 2009 4:13:52 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    When did this change? I've exchanged phones twice in the last 2 years  and never had to pay a thing.
    When did this change? I've exchanged phones twice in the last 2 years  and never had to pay a thing.

15 of 18 (2,121 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 5, 2009 4:17:52 PM
    (0)
    Master

ddclark94 wrote:

The restocking fee just recently increased, however, before that, there was still a fee for returning a phone within the 30 day trial period. If you weren't charged, you got a Rep. who wasn't following through with what the return policy was.

ddclark94 wrote:

The restocking fee just recently increased, however, before that, there was still a fee for returning a phone within the 30 day trial period. If you weren't charged, you got a Rep. who wasn't following through with what the return policy was.

16 of 18 (2,118 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 5, 2009 5:33:00 PM
    (0)
    Professor

Irish Rose wrote:

ddclark94 wrote:

I wonder if stores that are franchises have more freedom as opposed to corporate stores?

Irish Rose wrote:

ddclark94 wrote:

I wonder if stores that are franchises have more freedom as opposed to corporate stores?

17 of 18 (2,110 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 6, 2009 2:27:02 AM
    (0)
    Master

guandalf wrote:

You have a valid point here. Most 3rd party stores will have their own return policy, so it is possible to purchase a phone from a non corporate store, and not have any return fee at all, or a lower fee at least.

guandalf wrote:

You have a valid point here. Most 3rd party stores will have their own return policy, so it is possible to purchase a phone from a non corporate store, and not have any return fee at all, or a lower fee at least.

18 of 18 (2,100 Views)