Ask a question

Posted Mar 20, 2011
12:29:45 PM
AT&T to acquire T-Mobile

Interesting.

This can't help but be good news for the coverage in areas where both carriers have towers.

AT&T to acquire T-Mobile

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 2:17:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

so will at&t start using t mobile towers today/ will i see better coverage today?Smiley Surprised

Re: AT&T to acquire T-Mobilel t

2 of 10 (1,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 2:53:00 PM
(0)
Professor
No the FCC has to approve the purchase first, determine if any Cellular Market Areas (CMA) covered by both carriers would create a monopoly if the two merged, and order any divestment orders as necessary.

It could take over two years before the companies are considered one company.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: AT&T to acquire T-Mobile

3 of 10 (1,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 3:07:28 PM
(0)
Professor

nsayer wrote:

Interesting.

This can't help but be good news for the coverage in areas where both carriers have towers.

Yes, its troo.   Here's an additonal  aticle on the deal as reported from a local TV station 

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

4 of 10 (1,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 6:59:45 AM
(0)
Guru

coverage will improve, but sure rates will go up also.

5 of 10 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 11:06:14 AM
(0)
Master

jesusplay wrote:

so will at&t start using t mobile towers today/ will i see better coverage today?Smiley Surprised

NO.  It will be 12 months or more before you see any changes due to this merger.  The companies will still be run seperately for now.

6 of 10 (1,240 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 11:22:56 AM
(0)
Professor
Yep will be this time next year for us to see any real results of this acquision. Good results for us im sure. I took a sneek peek at Tmos forum. Talk about a HUGE HORNET NEST....they aint liking this one bit. Before anyone chimme, yes, they have the right to go elsewhere which apear most of them will be exercising that right.

7 of 10 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 4:56:16 PM
(0)
Professor

The question is .. to where ?

In many markets there will be:

A) Verizon Wireless (CDMA/LTE)

B) Sprint (CDMA/WiMAX)

C) AT&T (GSM/HSPA+/LTE)

In some areas there will be MetroPCS/Leap/USCC.  Each carrier has its good and bad.

I was an original AT&T Wireless customer (left VZW because of billing issues and dropped calls many years ago).  Back then AT&T Wireless was 'OK', but had great rates, free inbound SMS/MMS and the 'Canada package' which allowed for roaming into Canada/Puerto Rico for $9.99/month as an add on.

Cingular bought out AT&T - but then used the same AT&T Wireless network (L.A.) and sold off its PacBell Wireless network to T-Mobile (looks like it'll get it back).

I suspect that there will be a large split of customers before and after this is done (many are in contract).

I suspect that carriers will be out trashing AT&T to gather and possible T-Mobile customers that are out of contract.

8 of 10 (1,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 5:24:06 PM
(0)
Professor
Formrcanuck (gotta tel us the origin of your unique name)

Yep, your comment so true

9 of 10 (1,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 11:38:28 AM
(0)
Master

formercanuck wrote:

I suspect that there will be a large split of customers before and after this is done (many are in contract).

I suspect that carriers will be out trashing AT&T to gather and possible T-Mobile customers that are out of contract.

For at&t this merger seems to be about the additional spectrum first and foremost.  The extra customers are a bonus.  If past merger patterns repeat some customers will leave but the vast majority will stay put.

10 of 10 (1,126 Views)