Helpful Links

AT&T surprised I wanted an Xperia 10?

Contributor

AT&T surprised I wanted an Xperia 10?

My mother got me an Iphone for Xmas.

I wanted a Sony Xperia 10.

When she went to the AT&T store to try and switch it for me, the guy basicly told my mother the Xperia is significantly worse than the Iphone, and I should reconsider. I wasn't happy, but accepted the Iphone.

I only want to know 2 things, did I make the right decision,and why?

I have had Sony Ericsson phones for the past 6 years, my most recent being the w580. I enjoyed them and wanted to continue with Sony. Just curious if the guy behind the counter was being honest and truthful, or if he gets some sort of compensation for every iphone he sells.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. You guys rock!

Message 1 of 9

Re: AT&T surprised I wanted an Xperia 10?

I picked the X10 over the Iphone for one main reason and that was because of Android.  I have to admit I was very dissappointed to find that Android is extremely similar to the Iphone OS.  But after some research on the web i'm glad that i went with the X10.  If your the type of person who wants to be able to modify their phone you'll find that Android is the OS for you.  Of course you can jail break you Iphone, but Android was developed for people who like to mess with things.  Besides that you don't have to physically break into your phone to change the battery with the X10 like you have to with ALL of Apples products.  To each his own, but i'm glad i got my X10.

Message 2 of 9
Master

If you wanted the X10, I would have your Mom return to the store with you and exchange the iPhone for the X10, regardless of what an at&t salesperson may tell you about the relative merits of both phones. 

For one thing, it's just a matter of personal preferences; but I also would not be at all surprised if the store sales personnel receive a greater commission for selling an iPhone than they do any other device. Smiley Wink

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 3 of 9
Scholar

I agree with the above poster, get the phone you want and don't let them bully you into another phone. As far as which is better for you? It's a matter of what kind of experience you're looking for. I'm an Android fan, but some phones are not for everyone.

The iPhone offers a more polished user experience and everything is streamlined for you, somewhat making it easier for the everyday phone user. The phone is quick and responsive and has a beautiful display. It is locked to Apple's proprietary software (unless you jailbreak it) for the most part.

The SE Xperia X10 is an Android phone and therefore comes with all of the customizations a user could ask for (almost.) You can use it as a simple phone or you can delve in as deep as you want with rooting and developing. The Android OS is getting better with each release, but it's still not perfect. The X10 sorta brings out the imperfections a little bit more, especially right now since it's still waiting for it's update to OS version 2.1. Keep in mind that if you use Bluetooth to voice dial then it's not supported on 2.1 and older, so I don't think the X10 will ever see it. The X10 is a good phone with lots of potential, but some of the software (Sony/AT&T, not Android) has held it back... hopefully when the new update hits it will get better. That update has been promised for months now; let's hope it comes soon.

Message 4 of 9
Professor

das8nt wrote:

I agree with the above poster, get the phone you want and don't let them bully you into another phone. As far as which is better for you? It's a matter of what kind of experience you're looking for. I'm an Android fan, but some phones are not for everyone.

The iPhone offers a more polished user experience and everything is streamlined for you, somewhat making it easier for the everyday phone user. The phone is quick and responsive and has a beautiful display. It is locked to Apple's proprietary software (unless you jailbreak it) for the most part.

The SE Xperia X10 is an Android phone and therefore comes with all of the customizations a user could ask for (almost.) You can use it as a simple phone or you can delve in as deep as you want with rooting and developing. The Android OS is getting better with each release, but it's still not perfect. The X10 sorta brings out the imperfections a little bit more, especially right now since it's still waiting for it's update to OS version 2.1. Keep in mind that if you use Bluetooth to voice dial then it's not supported on 2.1 and older, so I don't think the X10 will ever see it. The X10 is a good phone with lots of potential, but some of the software (Sony/AT&T, not Android) has held it back... hopefully when the new update hits it will get better. That update has been promised for months now; let's hope it comes soon.

DAS8NT! I like your post.  I would rather have the X10 over the Iphone for some of the same reasons you listed.  I like to be able to customize and install or edit things without the restrictions of proprietary tools and software. I used to have a T-mobile Sidekick and it too was restricted to catalogs from the carrier (when i closed the account so went all the things ive bought; thought at least some of them were 'stand alone' apps i would like to have 'toyed' with even if the phone had no service)

Back to X10: I currently have an HTC Tilt 2 which is surprisingly more expensive than the X10, at least currently on att.com.  I am trying to get feedback from others who have had a Tilt 2 and switched to the X10 to see what features, you've gained with the X10 and what you may have lost when going with the X10?

Message 5 of 9
Professor

Why would you not want the iphone?  It is one of the best fashion accessories out there.

If, however, you choose to get a phone, I would choose the X10.  If it is what you want, I would insist on the exchange even if one salesman disagrees.  Actually, the last few times I have been in the at&t store, it seems the employees are moving off the iphones now.

Message 6 of 9

Smiley Indifferent Over this past weekend I was told by customer service from their tech support that the phone could be upgraded just by going to Sony Ericsson and down loading the upgrade and then go through the upgrade process. So my wife and I had decided to get two new phones by upgrading to the Xperia X10 and add two lines for my sons using two more X10s. Boys phones arrived Tue. and I went through the upgrade process. NO upgrade! Called customer support and then was told that the upgrade hasn’t been released yet to the AT&T customers as of yet. Smiley Indifferent

Last night I had called in to activate my wife’s and my phones. And the front line customer service person asked me if there was anything else he could do for me. LOL!!! So I asked when is 2.1 going to be released to the phone. He said it had. lol!! I tried to communicate to him that it had been released to the phone but not to AT&T. So he proceeded to get Sony on the phone to help with the upgrade. LOL!!! So they start going into the upgrade spill. I stopped them and told them I have done this and asked both of them if the update has been released to AT&T. (Sony) Hold please! LOL!!  (SONY) Yes, the 2.1 has NOT been released to AT&T and there is no date to be released. So I have 4 phones on 1.6. If I didn’t have family on AT&T I would have gotten the HTC EVO. NOT a satisfied customer!

AT&T Android phones.

HTC Aria (A6366) Shipped with & Current Ver. 2.1

Motorola Backflip (MB300) shipped with 1.5, Current Ver. 2.1

Samsung Captivate (i897) shipped with & Current Ver. 2.1

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 shipped with & Current Ver. 1.6

Buyer’s remorse is 30 days. Day one has started.

Message 7 of 9
Tutor

You are not lost yet. You can go to XDA Forums. Scroll down to the X10. Go to Android Development. Explore, learn, and have fun. 

Blue Sparks rom

Current Phone count:

Xperia X10 (Blue Spark V3 2.1 rom)

Iphone 3g (Jailbroke)

Samsung Strive

Samsung Mythic

Samsung Impression

Sony Ericsson w890i

LG Shine

Sony Ericsson W580

Message 8 of 9
Contributor

M wife's iPhone battery outperforms my Xperia 10 batter AND she watches netflix streaming often.  I can only make a handful of phone calls before my X10 battery poops out, usually by lunch time.

Not only have I followed forum suggestions to turn off accessories to the phone (wifi, mms, gps), but I don't even use them otherwise my battery is done within 2-3 hours.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support