AT&T sues Verizon Wireless over 3G ads:

Master

Re: VZ 3g map commercial

[ Edited ]

So long as the Verizon maps aren't overstated re: their EVDO coverage, I don't see anything misleading about the ads either.  I presume they used at&t's own published maps for their 3G coverage.

 

Personally, if I were a potential smartphone/PDA customer (and especially one who was going to have a mandatory $30/month data plan placed on my account - by either provider), then I'd want to know which company has better coverage for the more advanced option re: the service they are forcing down my throat.  Smiley Happy  It only adds insult to injury to force someone to take a data plan and then have the data service in that area be such that to a large degree they won't even use it. 

Message Edited by hme83 on 11-04-2009 07:06:13 AM
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 16 of 195 (672 Views)
Scholar

AT&T sues Verizon Wireless, calls map ad "misleading" but doesn't dispute accuracy

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=26884&tag=trunk;content

 

LOL so AT&T sues Verizon, but doesn't dispute that their 3G coverage STINKS.

 

The map is accurate.

Message 17 of 195 (676 Views)
Mentor

Re: AT&T sues Verizon Wireless, calls map ad "misleading" but doesn't dispute accuracy

LMAO att is so full of FAIL!!!!!
Message 18 of 195 (670 Views)
Scholar

Re: AT&T sues Verizon Wireless, calls map ad "misleading" but doesn't dispute accuracy

Message 19 of 195 (666 Views)
Scholar

Re: VZ 3g map commercial

[ Edited ]

While I never really believe any of the ads figuring they're all lying to some extent, I have to say that I don't see anything misleading in this ad. First, the coverage viewer link above does indeed show 3G coverage approximately in the same places as the map in the ad. Second, the ad clearly shows the person using the phone to watch a video — not to make calls. Raise your hand if you're able to watch a video over EDGE with any sort of satisfaction. My phone won't even start streaming in 2G mode. So whoever claims that the device can be used fully on the 2G network is wrong Smiley Wink


I agree, however it depends o how much attention one is actually paying. If you are like me nd brush it off as just another commercial, the fact that it is only depicting 3G, does not quite register in the brain. What does register, as it did with me is that there is much more RED than BLUE, automatically linking it to Verizon has way more coverage than AT&T. From that point, it can be misleading to some.

 

Just my 2 cents Smiley Happy

Message Edited by charlyee on 11-04-2009 11:19:27 AM
Message 20 of 195 (634 Views)
Professor

Re: VZ 3g map commercial

In that context, it is intentionally misleading.
Message 21 of 195 (597 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: VZ 3g map commercial

[ Edited ]

How is it misleading, the map is true, there is WAY more 3G coverage for Verizon than AT&T...and when 4G goes live on Verizon in a few months, it will be in the same areas as 3G....another step over AT&T.

 

AT&T is going to lose on this one unless they {Uncalled for comment edited - please keep it courteous} get it in gear.

Message Edited by Glomag on 11-04-2009 01:18:02 PM
Message 22 of 195 (595 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: VZ 3g map commercial


charlyee wrote:


I agree, however it depends o how much attention one is actually paying. If you are like me nd brush it off as just another commercial, the fact that it is only depicting 3G, does not quite register in the brain. What does register, as it did with me is that there is much more RED than BLUE, automatically linking it to Verizon has way more coverage than AT&T. From that point, it can be misleading to some.

 

Just my 2 cents Smiley Happy


I'm sure if I only registered colors of the map it would definitely play out in AT&T favor — to me red areas on the map always indicate trouble Smiley Very Happy I realize it comes from watching movies & playing video games, but there's nothing I can do about it Smiley Happy Oh and since I never see any ads on TV I'm much less accustomed to that genre Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 195 (583 Views)
Professor

Re: VZ 3g map commercial


hme83 wrote:

So long as the Verizon maps aren't overstated re: their EVDO coverage, I don't see anything misleading about the ads either.  I presume they used at&t's own published maps for their 3G coverage.

 

Personally, if I were a potential smartphone/PDA customer (and especially one who was going to have a mandatory $30/month data plan placed on my account - by either provider), then I'd want to know which company has better coverage for the more advanced option re: the service they are forcing down my throat.  Smiley Happy  It only adds insult to injury to force someone to take a data plan and then have the data service in that area be such that to a large degree they won't even use it. 

Message Edited by hme83 on 11-04-2009 07:06:13 AM

While I live in a ROBUST 3G area, I agree with you 100% here, get your network coverage area to speed (3G) then mandate the service fee! If I ever moved to a non 3G area you can bet I would sport a Razor (no data plan) and a iPod touch, or seek a Carrier that will give me the full service I pay for. 

 

Message 24 of 195 (565 Views)
Scholar

Re: VZ 3g map commercial

[ Edited ]

dmapr wrote:

I'm sure if I only registered colors of the map it would definitely play out in AT&T favor — to me red areas on the map always indicate trouble Smiley Very Happy I realize it comes from watching movies & playing video games, but there's nothing I can do about it Smiley Happy Oh and since I never see any ads on TV I'm much less accustomed to that genre Smiley Wink


Since I don't spend my spare time watching movies and playing video games, I can not relate to that color scheme Smiley Very Happy What does register in me is BLUE is COLD and RED is WARM, based on that Verizon would definitely be the winner in my books. Smiley Happy.

 

IMHO, majority of casual cellphone users see that comparison and come to the conclusion that Verizon is the coverage leader, I really don't think the "3G" registers in them. I first became aware of this commercial back in early October, I wonder what took AT&T so long to react to it. Smiley Very Happy 

Message Edited by charlyee on 11-04-2009 01:39:41 PM
Message 25 of 195 (581 Views)
Professor

Re: AT&T sues Verizon Wireless, calls map ad "misleading" but doesn't dispute accuracy


elrondius wrote:

coming from a guy who said in one of his first few posts, to other people who cried about coverage.... I have "great" coverage, and you complain about the iPhone and what it doesn't do. Seems like you are just a troll and like to get people all worked up.
Message 26 of 195 (575 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: VZ 3g map commercial


charlyee wrote:

 

Since I don't spend my spare time watching movies and playing video games, I can not relate to that color scheme Smiley Very Happy What does register in me is BLUE is COLD and RED is WARM, based on that Verizon would definitely be the winner in my books. Smiley Happy.

 

IMHO, majority of casual cellphone users see that comparison and come to the conclusion that Verizon is the coverage leader, I really don't think the "3G" registers in them. I first became aware of this commercial back in early October, I wonder what took AT&T so long to react to it. Smiley Very Happy 


I imagine living in California and living in Illinois gives people different perspectives on whether warm or cold is the winner Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 195 (576 Views)
Scholar

Re: VZ 3g map commercial

[ Edited ]

dmapr wrote:

 

I imagine living in California and living in Illinois gives people different perspectives on whether warm or cold is the winner Smiley Wink


I will have to agree with that, even though I don't live in Illinois Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by charlyee on 11-04-2009 02:40:53 PM
Message 28 of 195 (564 Views)
Guru

Re: VZ 3g map commercial

When i saw the ad for the first time i thought

 

1)att just doesnt have the coverage that verizon does.

2)3g didnt really stick in my mind just overall network

3)att has less coverage than just about any carrier known to man from the looks of the map.

 

 

 

So for me the first time i saw it i guess you could say it misled me but then the 3g aspect kicked in. I was thinking wow att coverage cant be that small. I get coverage almost everywhere i go and 3g is pretty good too.

Message 29 of 195 (563 Views)
Scholar

Re: VZ 3g map commercial

what i shake my head at is the fact they show an accurate 3G only map for AT&T, yet the map that flashes up for themselves includes their 1X and 3G coverage and they think that people are so stupid that they do not recognize it.  it angers me against verizon for assuming i am that dumb and gullible, so no matter what they might offer me to switch to their junk network i wouldn't. 
Message 30 of 195 (551 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.