Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 24, 2011
6:36:17 PM
View profile
AT&T selection of Android devices..... mediocre at best?

I have been holding onto my upgrade since the iPhone 3gs.  I really do not want to get another iPhone.  I am frankly just tired of the same old boring operating system... It’s more like an app launcher then an actual user focused operating system.  

Is it just me or does it seem that AT&T is just deliberately not supplying its customers with high quality Android devices.  It is almost as if they somehow don't want any competition to the iPhone.  I mean the only top of the line Android is the GS2.  Although a great phone but where is the dual core HTC? What about a top of the line LG or Motorola (Atrix 2 is not top of the line)? There is none.  If you look at T-Mobile, Sprint, a Verizon they have ATLEAST one dual core/1 gig ram/4.3+ display phone from each major manufacturer each.  I also doubt if AT&T is even going to get the Galaxy Nexus.  

Is there any way to file complaints with AT&T to get better phones?  Like how Verizon customers did and now they have what seems to be an endless supply of top of the line Android phones.

If I can’t get AT&T to change I most deffenitly will be dropping AT&T and going to Verizon to get either the Motorola RAZR or Galaxy Nexus.  If only AT&T could bring these caliber of phones to its customers. 

I have been holding onto my upgrade since the iPhone 3gs.  I really do not want to get another iPhone.  I am frankly just tired of the same old boring operating system... It’s more like an app launcher then an actual user focused operating system.  

Is it just me or does it seem that AT&T is just deliberately not supplying its customers with high quality Android devices.  It is almost as if they somehow don't want any competition to the iPhone.  I mean the only top of the line Android is the GS2.  Although a great phone but where is the dual core HTC? What about a top of the line LG or Motorola (Atrix 2 is not top of the line)? There is none.  If you look at T-Mobile, Sprint, a Verizon they have ATLEAST one dual core/1 gig ram/4.3+ display phone from each major manufacturer each.  I also doubt if AT&T is even going to get the Galaxy Nexus.  

Is there any way to file complaints with AT&T to get better phones?  Like how Verizon customers did and now they have what seems to be an endless supply of top of the line Android phones.

If I can’t get AT&T to change I most deffenitly will be dropping AT&T and going to Verizon to get either the Motorola RAZR or Galaxy Nexus.  If only AT&T could bring these caliber of phones to its customers. 

AT&T selection of Android devices..... mediocre at best?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 9:21:44 PM
(0)
Scholar

Shifted331 wrote:

Just curious, why don't you consider the Atrix 2 high-end? It meets your dual core/1GB RAM/4.3" display criteria.

I do think the Galaxy Nexus will be available on AT&T - eventually...

Some rumored phones, alas, no idea if they'll actually see the light of day.

Motorola Dinara

HTC Holiday

Shifted331 wrote:

Just curious, why don't you consider the Atrix 2 high-end? It meets your dual core/1GB RAM/4.3" display criteria.

I do think the Galaxy Nexus will be available on AT&T - eventually...

Some rumored phones, alas, no idea if they'll actually see the light of day.

Motorola Dinara

HTC Holiday

Re: AT&T selection of Android devices..... mediocre at best?

2 of 12 (614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 4:53:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yea I have been watching those but I am saying the frequency is just not there.  Having 8 to 9 months between major launches is just not right.  

The Motorola Atrix 2 is just a minor upgrade.  AT&T gets the Atrix 2 Verizon gets Droid RAZR.  The Atrix 2 was not "top of the line" when it was released.  Other carriers are getting HD displays with 1.2-1.5 ghz dual core processors and we get a "refresher".  

What makes me frustrated is the fact that the Galaxy Nexus already passed through the FCC with all of the AT&T bands and is fully capable to be launched on AT&T's network with no changes on the GSM version.... So why would AT&T not just release it on time?

Yea I have been watching those but I am saying the frequency is just not there.  Having 8 to 9 months between major launches is just not right.  

The Motorola Atrix 2 is just a minor upgrade.  AT&T gets the Atrix 2 Verizon gets Droid RAZR.  The Atrix 2 was not "top of the line" when it was released.  Other carriers are getting HD displays with 1.2-1.5 ghz dual core processors and we get a "refresher".  

What makes me frustrated is the fact that the Galaxy Nexus already passed through the FCC with all of the AT&T bands and is fully capable to be launched on AT&T's network with no changes on the GSM version.... So why would AT&T not just release it on time?

Re: AT&T selection of Android devices..... Mediocre at best?

3 of 12 (602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 8:31:24 PM
(0)
Guru

Sometimes I think if at&t had its way, they would sell only iphones, ipads, and ipods.

IF they do release an android device, it's 6-9 months late, crippled, and updates?  Forget it.

Sometimes I think if at&t had its way, they would sell only iphones, ipads, and ipods.

IF they do release an android device, it's 6-9 months late, crippled, and updates?  Forget it.

4 of 12 (534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 7:42:30 AM
(0)
Guru

p51d007 wrote:

Yup.  I came VERY close to switching back to Verizon when my contract was up.

p51d007 wrote:

Yup.  I came VERY close to switching back to Verizon when my contract was up.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

5 of 12 (529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 3:13:27 PM
(0)
Master
The Samsung Galaxy S II is very nice. That's what I would go with.

The Samsung Galaxy S II LTE (it is a different phone, yes) will be available this Sunday. The same goes for the HTC Vivid, a new smartphone that AT&T and HTC have renamed instead of the Holiday.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

The Samsung Galaxy S II LTE (it is a different phone, yes) will be available this Sunday. The same goes for the HTC Vivid, a new smartphone that AT&T and HTC have renamed instead of the Holiday.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

6 of 12 (500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 7:17:43 AM
(0)
Guru

Wild Banchi wrote:

Unless someone's in an LTE service area with grandfathered unlimited data - I'd recommend the non-LTE variant.  Smaller, thinner, better CPU/GPU, high commonality with the international version.

Wild Banchi wrote:

Unless someone's in an LTE service area with grandfathered unlimited data - I'd recommend the non-LTE variant.  Smaller, thinner, better CPU/GPU, high commonality with the international version.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

7 of 12 (495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 9:22:41 AM
(0)
Master
If a person is in an LTE area, they can eat through data very quickly.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
If a person is in an LTE area, they can eat through data very quickly.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

8 of 12 (490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 12:56:11 PM
(0)
Guru

That too - if you don't have an unlimited plan, another good reason to avoid an LTE phone.  If you have an app (like the AP Mobile widget on the GS2) that eats data in the background without you knowing it, an LTE phone will blow through that allotment faster.

That too - if you don't have an unlimited plan, another good reason to avoid an LTE phone.  If you have an app (like the AP Mobile widget on the GS2) that eats data in the background without you knowing it, an LTE phone will blow through that allotment faster.

9 of 12 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 1:11:24 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Nov 4, 2011 at 1:14:54 PM
The Samsung Galaxy S II is very nice. That's what what I would go with

I know, I'm just informing the OP of more choices to choose from. Personally, I would go with the original Galaxy S II instead of the LTE model. The original also seems a bit more high-end to me as well.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

The Samsung Galaxy S II is very nice. That's what what I would go with

I know, I'm just informing the OP of more choices to choose from. Personally, I would go with the original Galaxy S II instead of the LTE model. The original also seems a bit more high-end to me as well.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

[ Edited ]
10 of 12 (482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 8:20:26 AM
(0)
Guru

I stick with AT&T, since 90% of the people I talk to (family mostly) is on at&t, so when it's "upgrade"

time, I just bite the bullet and buy one off Amazon, Ebay etc, unlocked and uncrippled.

I stick with AT&T, since 90% of the people I talk to (family mostly) is on at&t, so when it's "upgrade"

time, I just bite the bullet and buy one off Amazon, Ebay etc, unlocked and uncrippled.

11 of 12 (281 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 7:10:02 PM
(0)
Professor

Since you're willing to go the Amazon route, the GSM Galaxy Nexus is available.  Expansys and Negri Electronics have them for a slightly lower price.

Since you're willing to go the Amazon route, the GSM Galaxy Nexus is available.  Expansys and Negri Electronics have them for a slightly lower price.

12 of 12 (249 Views)