AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

Professor

AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44824945/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/#.TpA-s0-RDoA

I'm a little surprised considering they didn't allow early upgrades as in the past, so fewer people were eligible for the lowest price.

Message 1 of 43 (739 Views)
Professor

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

But, 200,000 isn't a lot out of 94 million customers or 18 million current iPhone users.  That's 1% of current iPhone users that pre-ordered.

Message 2 of 43 (707 Views)
Master

I would say that 200,000 iPhone 4S's sold in 12 hours for just pre-orders alone is pretty good. Imagine how many will be sold when the phone is officially released. I'm sure the figures are going to be a lot higher!

On another note, I still find it odd that Sprint will now offer the iPhone. I guess it just seems unlikely that they would consider it. For me, it's going to be more difficult to distinguish which carrier iPhone owners have, considering AT&T's exclusivity is done and Verizon and now Sprint will be in the mix.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 43 (681 Views)
Professor

i guess within the period of "hours' it may seem a lot , but as 21st analysis shows, its 1% of all iphoners at att!. Still, this is more that BIG RED or Sprint has sold in the same span of time.  And like WB said "this is only pre orders, imagine the numbers when its actually instock and ordered right off the shelves"...

Message 4 of 43 (675 Views)
Scholar

I'll be interested to see how the iPhone does with Sprint. They screwed over a lot of people to get this coveted phone. Employees included.
Message 5 of 43 (637 Views)
Scholar

Thatsmyname wrote:
I'll be interested to see how the iPhone does with Sprint. They screwed over a lot of people to get this coveted phone. Employees included.

I think that in the end, Sprint is screwing itself.

It reportedly had to commit to buying some 30+ million iPhones from Apple, so it remains to be seen whether or not it can move all of them or be left holding the bag for the ones it couldn't put into the hands of customers.

Beyond that, it just lost its largest arguing point against the AT&T/T-Mobile merger. It's hard to argue that Sprint is locked out of the market and won't be able to compete (as Sprint has been arguing in its merger opposition) when it just got argubly the hottest phone on the market.

Message 6 of 43 (621 Views)

I wonder if the 200,000 are just phones sold through AT&T's system, or if that includes phones sold by Apple for use on AT&T's network.  I didn't see anything in the article that mentioned phones sold by Apple.

Message 7 of 43 (601 Views)
Professor

dww0311 wrote:

Thatsmyname wrote:

I think that in the end, Sprint is screwing itself.

It reportedly had to commit to buying some 30+ million iPhones from Apple, so it remains to be seen whether or not it can move all of them or be left holding the bag for the ones it couldn't put into the hands of customers.

Beyond that, it just lost its largest arguing point against the AT&T/T-Mobile merger. It's hard to argue that Sprint is locked out of the market and won't be able to compete (as Sprint has been arguing in its merger opposition) when it just got argubly the hottest phone on the market.

Yep, i agree too, and so do many more. If Sprint doesnt move these 30+million (i think ive read that same article), they will be left holding the bag.  Not to mention, having to do something to recoop their losses.  Sprint has not make many good moves over the years.... looks like their 'jumping on the iphone apple cart'  will be nails that seal their coffin tight!

Message 8 of 43 (582 Views)
Master

archermoo wrote:

I wonder if the 200,000 are just phones sold through AT&T's system, or if that includes phones sold by Apple for use on AT&T's network.  I didn't see anything in the article that mentioned phones sold by Apple.

That's a very good question. Like the article reads, I would assume that AT&T alone sold 200,000 of them on their own, without combining Apple's totals as well. But it very well could be a combined sum of AT&T and Apple's sales.

Message 9 of 43 (581 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]
Sprint is a carrier dominated by Android phones. I would guess that many of Sprint's smartphone users are Android users. I don't think the iPhone will be a hit amongst the Sprint customers anyway because they've been "deprived" for so long that they have reverted to Android as their "home land".

Message 10 of 43 (576 Views)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:
Sprint is a carrier dominated by Android phones. I would guess that many of Sprint's smartphone users are Android users. I don't think the iPhone will be a hit amongst the Sprint customers anyway because they've been "deprived" for so long that they have reverted to Android as their "home land".

Sprint has lost customers in every quarter over the past few years, arguably to other carriers having the iPhone and Sprint not having it. Granted, Sprint's weird mix of technologies, oddball network and the death of Nextel is driving some of that, but mostly I think that folks are leaving Sprint to get something that Sprint can't give them.

So, in an odd way, Sprint really had no choice but to offer the iPhone. The terms that it agreed to in order to get it are where it screwed itself. Heck, even their CEO told their board that Sprint expects to lose money on the deal through 2014.

A year or two, this might have saved Sprint, but at this point I think it's too little too late. They are circling the drain.

Message 11 of 43 (426 Views)
Scholar

Yep. This was a last ditch effort for Sprint, I think. I don't see an onslaught of AT&T and Verizon customers switching to Sprint. Certainly, some will switch. Hoenestly, I think they will regret it. The network is shoddy, at best. Theyve done away with all their Premeiere perks, doubled upgrade fees, and forget about ever upgrading early. you will wait your 20 or so months (and not a day less) and you will like it. I wonder how long it will be before they discontinue unlimited data for 10$. Not long, I'm sure.
Message 12 of 43 (411 Views)
Professor

Thatsmyname wrote:
Yep. This was a last ditch effort for Sprint, I think. I don't see an onslaught of AT&T and Verizon customers switching to Sprint. Certainly, some will switch. Hoenestly, I think they will regret it. The network is shoddy, at best. Theyve done away with all their Premeiere perks, doubled upgrade fees, and forget about ever upgrading early. you will wait your 20 or so months (and not a day less) and you will like it. I wonder how long it will be before they discontinue unlimited data for 10$. Not long, I'm sure.

I think Sprint is toast too... No new customers... two bad deal breakers... they will drop unlimitted becuase for sure their network will not handle the iphone traffic.... what do they have to attract anyone? they tried the nexttel walkie-talkie type scenario but that didnt catch on at all..... yup...toast..

Message 13 of 43 (396 Views)
Scholar

And they now offer home phone service. Welcome to 1982.
Message 14 of 43 (363 Views)
Scholar

I should say also... This home phone service can be used anywhere... You lug around the tower thing, and you can get calls no matter where you are. So...like a CELL PHONE!?
Message 15 of 43 (362 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.