Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Oct 8, 2011
5:19:21 AM
View profile
AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44824945/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/#.TpA-s0-RDoA

 

I'm a little surprised considering they didn't allow early upgrades as in the past, so fewer people were eligible for the lowest price.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44824945/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/#.TpA-s0-RDoA

 

I'm a little surprised considering they didn't allow early upgrades as in the past, so fewer people were eligible for the lowest price.

AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

692 views
42 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(42)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:43:58 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

21stNow wrote:
I was referring to the launch of the iPhone 4, as well.

 

Now, iPhone 4 contracts will expire and AT&T didn't allow for the mass early full upgrades, so contracts will not be "extended" today.  When the iPhone 4 users' contracts expire, those users now have a choice of two carriers to jump to.  I don't see how it makes sense for AT&T to not want to hold these people longer, if that were their reasoning in the past.  Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that AT&T should have allowed for early full upgrades.  I'm just saying that I don't understand their reasoning now, versus the past.


The bulk of those iPhone 4 contracts are set to expire between June and December, 2012, and they include the much higher ETF fee (with a much slower exhaustion rate), so folks won't be leaving before then. AT&T has no real incentive to effectively give them money to stay.

 

The 4S is an interstitial release. A placeholder, if you will. We're arguably on track for an iPhone 5 release in either June or October of 2012, so those contracts will be expiring just in time for the folks on them to get bright, shiny new iPhone 5's. By that time, AT&T will be much further ahead on its LTE rollout, so the incentive for customers to leave for verizon's LTE will have been diminished.


21stNow wrote:
I was referring to the launch of the iPhone 4, as well.

 

Now, iPhone 4 contracts will expire and AT&T didn't allow for the mass early full upgrades, so contracts will not be "extended" today.  When the iPhone 4 users' contracts expire, those users now have a choice of two carriers to jump to.  I don't see how it makes sense for AT&T to not want to hold these people longer, if that were their reasoning in the past.  Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that AT&T should have allowed for early full upgrades.  I'm just saying that I don't understand their reasoning now, versus the past.


The bulk of those iPhone 4 contracts are set to expire between June and December, 2012, and they include the much higher ETF fee (with a much slower exhaustion rate), so folks won't be leaving before then. AT&T has no real incentive to effectively give them money to stay.

 

The 4S is an interstitial release. A placeholder, if you will. We're arguably on track for an iPhone 5 release in either June or October of 2012, so those contracts will be expiring just in time for the folks on them to get bright, shiny new iPhone 5's. By that time, AT&T will be much further ahead on its LTE rollout, so the incentive for customers to leave for verizon's LTE will have been diminished.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

31 of 43 (268 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:46:04 AM
0
(0)
Teacher

hnzw_rui wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

Then when, like dww0311 said, apple discontinued the sole carrier contract and opened up to verizon,.. ahead of release, ATT started makeing sweet deals, working on network issues and so on to make it more feasible for customes to stay on. 

 

I can see the trend again, when theres no 'competition' , theres no need to "hear" the customers or do things to make the customer feel appreciated in a sense.   Only when there is a threat of losing customes does some ramp-ups occur.

 

I am not complaining about my services or device, but its not hard to see how things been functioning over the years.


Alas, that's true in practically every business. Monopolies rarely benefit the consumer. Phone exclusivity deals suck. I'd be much happier if they spent the money on improving service (better coverage, faster speed, lower rates) than with phone subsidies.


So true. You know FWIW, years ago ATT bundled off something they were unable to run - their wireless service. The resulting CINGULAR put in the hard work and dedication - turned it around - made it the second largest operator in a span if aust a few years.

 

Guess what - ATT looks back and says - hey - that was mine. Grabs it back and tries to run it like cingular did. If it was not for APPLE, I think ATT would have bundled thier wirelss a second time again. APPLE saved them.Period.

 

Now that they are no longer exclusive I see thsi impacting them a big way, esp. when it comes to treatung their higher spending customers this way.

 

ATT minions are here trying to shut people up by waving the contracts in their faces. Look at all the kudos - these are only being given to the posts that are about enforcing contracts.

 


hnzw_rui wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

Then when, like dww0311 said, apple discontinued the sole carrier contract and opened up to verizon,.. ahead of release, ATT started makeing sweet deals, working on network issues and so on to make it more feasible for customes to stay on. 

 

I can see the trend again, when theres no 'competition' , theres no need to "hear" the customers or do things to make the customer feel appreciated in a sense.   Only when there is a threat of losing customes does some ramp-ups occur.

 

I am not complaining about my services or device, but its not hard to see how things been functioning over the years.


Alas, that's true in practically every business. Monopolies rarely benefit the consumer. Phone exclusivity deals suck. I'd be much happier if they spent the money on improving service (better coverage, faster speed, lower rates) than with phone subsidies.


So true. You know FWIW, years ago ATT bundled off something they were unable to run - their wireless service. The resulting CINGULAR put in the hard work and dedication - turned it around - made it the second largest operator in a span if aust a few years.

 

Guess what - ATT looks back and says - hey - that was mine. Grabs it back and tries to run it like cingular did. If it was not for APPLE, I think ATT would have bundled thier wirelss a second time again. APPLE saved them.Period.

 

Now that they are no longer exclusive I see thsi impacting them a big way, esp. when it comes to treatung their higher spending customers this way.

 

ATT minions are here trying to shut people up by waving the contracts in their faces. Look at all the kudos - these are only being given to the posts that are about enforcing contracts.

 

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

32 of 43 (267 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:50:43 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

hpsb wrote:

Yep - bend the argument every way when it suits your point of view.

 

VZ contracts have always been known and so are ATTs and so are Sprints. ATT and VZ - tgether - removed unlimited plans. No surprises there either. Sure some may stick it out with ATT due to grandfathered plans - but it is not a show stopper.

 

As for whining - why are you whining FOR ATT ???

 

ATT will lose big time on this one IMO - welcome to that reality - and stop defending this losing position.


At the time, people didn't know what Verizon would offer with regard to iPhone contracts, so yes, at that time, it WAS an unknown. Nobody else but AT&T had ever offered the iPhone before.

 

I'm not whining for AT&T. I'm saying that it made a business decision to do something, once, that you now seem to believe yourself entitled to receive in perpetuity. AT&T doesn't make decisions based on what is best for you, and its stockholders (which includes me) would pummel it if it did.

 

It made sense from a business perspective for AT&T to offer early upgrades then. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective to do it now, so they aren't doing it. If you feel wronged by that and want to leave, knock yourself out. You'll go to another carrier who isn't going to give you an early upgrade either, and you'll find yourself exactly where you are now.

 

And as I said, if that appeals to you, knock yourself out. I don't think it will be the norm, all the close to launch day moaning and rending of garments notwithstanding.


hpsb wrote:

Yep - bend the argument every way when it suits your point of view.

 

VZ contracts have always been known and so are ATTs and so are Sprints. ATT and VZ - tgether - removed unlimited plans. No surprises there either. Sure some may stick it out with ATT due to grandfathered plans - but it is not a show stopper.

 

As for whining - why are you whining FOR ATT ???

 

ATT will lose big time on this one IMO - welcome to that reality - and stop defending this losing position.


At the time, people didn't know what Verizon would offer with regard to iPhone contracts, so yes, at that time, it WAS an unknown. Nobody else but AT&T had ever offered the iPhone before.

 

I'm not whining for AT&T. I'm saying that it made a business decision to do something, once, that you now seem to believe yourself entitled to receive in perpetuity. AT&T doesn't make decisions based on what is best for you, and its stockholders (which includes me) would pummel it if it did.

 

It made sense from a business perspective for AT&T to offer early upgrades then. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective to do it now, so they aren't doing it. If you feel wronged by that and want to leave, knock yourself out. You'll go to another carrier who isn't going to give you an early upgrade either, and you'll find yourself exactly where you are now.

 

And as I said, if that appeals to you, knock yourself out. I don't think it will be the norm, all the close to launch day moaning and rending of garments notwithstanding.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

33 of 43 (263 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:53:08 AM
0
(0)
Teacher

dww0311 wrote

The 4S is an interstitial release. A placeholder, if you will. We're arguably on track for an iPhone 5 release in either June or October of 2012, so those contracts will be expiring just in time for the folks on them to get bright, shiny new iPhone 5's. By that time, AT&T will be much further ahead on its LTE rollout, so the incentive for customers to leave for verizon's LTE will have been diminished.


That is the only sane reasoning you have tried to used here. However, I do not think ATT will be getting a full featured/higher spec IP5 - as Sprint will.

 

Arguably the $250 fees actually protects existing customers - but only if your basis is correct.

 

ATT cannot provide 3G at a consistent level of expectations. Forget LTE. ATT 3G sucks big time - I have 2 3G tech iPhones. All that talk about the fastest network nationwide shoudl be taken with a grain of salt.

 

I will go even further to venture that there is a reason why APPLE did not award the initial IP5 to ATT - they simply are unable to deliver (IMO). We can all Google APPLE's disappointment with service levels in the past.


dww0311 wrote

The 4S is an interstitial release. A placeholder, if you will. We're arguably on track for an iPhone 5 release in either June or October of 2012, so those contracts will be expiring just in time for the folks on them to get bright, shiny new iPhone 5's. By that time, AT&T will be much further ahead on its LTE rollout, so the incentive for customers to leave for verizon's LTE will have been diminished.


That is the only sane reasoning you have tried to used here. However, I do not think ATT will be getting a full featured/higher spec IP5 - as Sprint will.

 

Arguably the $250 fees actually protects existing customers - but only if your basis is correct.

 

ATT cannot provide 3G at a consistent level of expectations. Forget LTE. ATT 3G sucks big time - I have 2 3G tech iPhones. All that talk about the fastest network nationwide shoudl be taken with a grain of salt.

 

I will go even further to venture that there is a reason why APPLE did not award the initial IP5 to ATT - they simply are unable to deliver (IMO). We can all Google APPLE's disappointment with service levels in the past.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

34 of 43 (261 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:03:27 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Oct 9, 2011 at 11:04:48 AM

hpsb wrote:
ATT cannot provide 3G at a consistent level of expectations. Forget LTE. ATT 3G sucks big time - I have 2 3G tech iPhones. All that talk about the fastest network nationwide should be taken with a grain of salt.

I agree with this statement. Before releasing LTE, (a.k.a. TRUE 4G) AT&T should have seen to it to fully implement 3G in all possible areas of the country. It's the other carriers that boasted about having "4G networks", so AT&T jumped on the "4G" bandwagon quickly to make them seem more attractive to new and existing customers so that they would not be the only carrier left without a "4G network".

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy




hpsb wrote:
ATT cannot provide 3G at a consistent level of expectations. Forget LTE. ATT 3G sucks big time - I have 2 3G tech iPhones. All that talk about the fastest network nationwide should be taken with a grain of salt.

I agree with this statement. Before releasing LTE, (a.k.a. TRUE 4G) AT&T should have seen to it to fully implement 3G in all possible areas of the country. It's the other carriers that boasted about having "4G networks", so AT&T jumped on the "4G" bandwagon quickly to make them seem more attractive to new and existing customers so that they would not be the only carrier left without a "4G network".

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:



Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

[ Edited ]
35 of 43 (255 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:05:30 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

hpsb wrote:

That is the only sane reasoning you have tried to used here. However, I do not think ATT will be getting a full featured/higher spec IP5 - as Sprint will.

 

Arguably the $250 fees actually protects existing customers - but only if your basis is correct.

 

ATT cannot provide 3G at a consistent level of expectations. Forget LTE. ATT 3G sucks big time - I have 2 3G tech iPhones. All that talk about the fastest network nationwide shoudl be taken with a grain of salt.

 

I will go even further to venture that there is a reason why APPLE did not award the initial IP5 to ATT - they simply are unable to deliver (IMO). We can all Google APPLE's disappointment with service levels in the past.


What makes you believe that AT&T's LTE phone will be any different than Sprint's or Verizon's? LTE is LTE. All three carriers are rolling the exact same technology. Same base stations, same antenna configs,same technology. The only difference between them, at all, is the frequency band sets within the spectrum range. The phones will be exactly the same under the hood from a electronics standpoint. Same modem chip, same radios. 

 

The +$250 fee is fine for people that want to pay it. More power to them. AT&T gave them a reasonable alternative which allows them to get the phone that they want while protecting AT&T's bottom line. All of the moaning has risen up from folks who are subject to having to pay it, but don't WANT to pay it. They believe themselves to be entitled to get straight upgrade pricing along with everybody else, and are beside themselves that they didn't get it. That is unrealistic.

 

LOL, have you checked out Verizon's 3G alternative? If you think HSDPA is slow, test drive EV-DO Rev. A sometime. It's worse, and these new phones will just increase that disparity.


hpsb wrote:

That is the only sane reasoning you have tried to used here. However, I do not think ATT will be getting a full featured/higher spec IP5 - as Sprint will.

 

Arguably the $250 fees actually protects existing customers - but only if your basis is correct.

 

ATT cannot provide 3G at a consistent level of expectations. Forget LTE. ATT 3G sucks big time - I have 2 3G tech iPhones. All that talk about the fastest network nationwide shoudl be taken with a grain of salt.

 

I will go even further to venture that there is a reason why APPLE did not award the initial IP5 to ATT - they simply are unable to deliver (IMO). We can all Google APPLE's disappointment with service levels in the past.


What makes you believe that AT&T's LTE phone will be any different than Sprint's or Verizon's? LTE is LTE. All three carriers are rolling the exact same technology. Same base stations, same antenna configs,same technology. The only difference between them, at all, is the frequency band sets within the spectrum range. The phones will be exactly the same under the hood from a electronics standpoint. Same modem chip, same radios. 

 

The +$250 fee is fine for people that want to pay it. More power to them. AT&T gave them a reasonable alternative which allows them to get the phone that they want while protecting AT&T's bottom line. All of the moaning has risen up from folks who are subject to having to pay it, but don't WANT to pay it. They believe themselves to be entitled to get straight upgrade pricing along with everybody else, and are beside themselves that they didn't get it. That is unrealistic.

 

LOL, have you checked out Verizon's 3G alternative? If you think HSDPA is slow, test drive EV-DO Rev. A sometime. It's worse, and these new phones will just increase that disparity.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

36 of 43 (251 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:21:17 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Professor

hpsb wrote:


So true. You know FWIW, years ago ATT bundled off something they were unable to run - their wireless service. The resulting CINGULAR put in the hard work and dedication - turned it around - made it the second largest operator in a span if aust a few years.

 

Guess what - ATT looks back and says - hey - that was mine. Grabs it back and tries to run it like cingular did. If it was not for APPLE, I think ATT would have bundled thier wirelss a second time again. APPLE saved them.Period.

 

Now that they are no longer exclusive I see thsi impacting them a big way, esp. when it comes to treatung their higher spending customers this way.

 

ATT minions are here trying to shut people up by waving the contracts in their faces. Look at all the kudos - these are only being given to the posts that are about enforcing contracts.

 


AT&T would have been the number two carrier by number of subscribers, with or without the iPhone.  There are roughly 94 million AT&T customers now, with about 18 million of them being iPhone users.  If every iPhone user would not have been on AT&T with another phone, that number would have been 76 million.  If all 18 million iPhone users had gone to Sprint, with around 53 million customers, that would have brought Sprint to 71 million.  AT&T would still be number two and Sprint would have still been number three.  Any other combination of AT&T's iPhone users going somewhere else still leaves AT&T at number two.

 

The kudos are given to posts about contracts because the contracts support the facts of this situation.  It is also what AT&T and every customer agreed to, willingly.  Now, the customers are whining about the same contract.  That is based on emotion, which is worthless in the business world.  Even if that emotion prompted some customers to leave AT&T, there are some emotional customers over at Sprint and VZW that will come to AT&T to take their place.  Most people are not willing to give up their cell phones.  They have to get service from some company, as most customers can't provide it for themselves.


hpsb wrote:


So true. You know FWIW, years ago ATT bundled off something they were unable to run - their wireless service. The resulting CINGULAR put in the hard work and dedication - turned it around - made it the second largest operator in a span if aust a few years.

 

Guess what - ATT looks back and says - hey - that was mine. Grabs it back and tries to run it like cingular did. If it was not for APPLE, I think ATT would have bundled thier wirelss a second time again. APPLE saved them.Period.

 

Now that they are no longer exclusive I see thsi impacting them a big way, esp. when it comes to treatung their higher spending customers this way.

 

ATT minions are here trying to shut people up by waving the contracts in their faces. Look at all the kudos - these are only being given to the posts that are about enforcing contracts.

 


AT&T would have been the number two carrier by number of subscribers, with or without the iPhone.  There are roughly 94 million AT&T customers now, with about 18 million of them being iPhone users.  If every iPhone user would not have been on AT&T with another phone, that number would have been 76 million.  If all 18 million iPhone users had gone to Sprint, with around 53 million customers, that would have brought Sprint to 71 million.  AT&T would still be number two and Sprint would have still been number three.  Any other combination of AT&T's iPhone users going somewhere else still leaves AT&T at number two.

 

The kudos are given to posts about contracts because the contracts support the facts of this situation.  It is also what AT&T and every customer agreed to, willingly.  Now, the customers are whining about the same contract.  That is based on emotion, which is worthless in the business world.  Even if that emotion prompted some customers to leave AT&T, there are some emotional customers over at Sprint and VZW that will come to AT&T to take their place.  Most people are not willing to give up their cell phones.  They have to get service from some company, as most customers can't provide it for themselves.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

37 of 43 (240 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 4:08:57 PM
0
(0)
Guru

hpsb wrote:

21stNow wrote:

But, 200,000 isn't a lot out of 94 million customers or 18 million current iPhone users.  That's 1% of current iPhone users that pre-ordered.


I agree that it is not a lot. I remember reading after pre-ordering the IP4 that in just one day 600,000 IP4 phones were ordered.

 

That stiff non negotiable $250 fee may have something to do with it.

 

 


600,000 was over the entire pre-order period last year.  Not just the first day.  The 200,000 on the other hand was just what AT&T sold in the first 12 hours this year.  Still not sure if that includes phones pre-ordered from Apple for use on AT&T or not.

 

AT&T doesn't seem particularly worried, as they are calling this "the most successful iPhone launch we've ever had".


hpsb wrote:

21stNow wrote:

But, 200,000 isn't a lot out of 94 million customers or 18 million current iPhone users.  That's 1% of current iPhone users that pre-ordered.


I agree that it is not a lot. I remember reading after pre-ordering the IP4 that in just one day 600,000 IP4 phones were ordered.

 

That stiff non negotiable $250 fee may have something to do with it.

 

 


600,000 was over the entire pre-order period last year.  Not just the first day.  The 200,000 on the other hand was just what AT&T sold in the first 12 hours this year.  Still not sure if that includes phones pre-ordered from Apple for use on AT&T or not.

 

AT&T doesn't seem particularly worried, as they are calling this "the most successful iPhone launch we've ever had".

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

38 of 43 (203 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 8:20:57 PM
0
(0)
Guru

Except that 600K figure wasn't just AT&T, it was across ALL carriers in the US, France, Germany, Japan & the UK...so 200K on AT&T alone in 12 hours is phenomenal.

 


hpsb wrote:

21stNow wrote:

But, 200,000 isn't a lot out of 94 million customers or 18 million current iPhone users.  That's 1% of current iPhone users that pre-ordered.


I agree that it is not a lot. I remember reading after pre-ordering the IP4 that in just one day 600,000 IP4 phones were ordered.

 

That stiff non negotiable $250 fee may have something to do with it.

 

 




Except that 600K figure wasn't just AT&T, it was across ALL carriers in the US, France, Germany, Japan & the UK...so 200K on AT&T alone in 12 hours is phenomenal.

 


hpsb wrote:

21stNow wrote:

But, 200,000 isn't a lot out of 94 million customers or 18 million current iPhone users.  That's 1% of current iPhone users that pre-ordered.


I agree that it is not a lot. I remember reading after pre-ordering the IP4 that in just one day 600,000 IP4 phones were ordered.

 

That stiff non negotiable $250 fee may have something to do with it.

 

 




Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

39 of 43 (168 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 8:23:14 PM
0
(0)
Guru

See my previous post...AT&T is kicking tail & taking names. AT&T apparently sold out of pre-orders, Apple sold out, not sure about Verizon, but Sprint has 32 & 64GB iPhones available for pre-order (only 16GB sold out).

 


hpsb wrote:

dww0311 wrote:

hpsb wrote:

dww0311 wrote
It did that at the time because it made a business decision that writing off all that money on those contracts was worth what it got in return: all those folks were then locked into new two year contracts, with newly reset upgrade periods and ETF's, which served as a nice incentive for them not to jump ship for Verizon when it launched its iPhone.

Great reasoning! This reason absolutely does not apply this time. Right ....

 

Smiley Happy

 


You're correct. It doesn't apply this time. What those folks will experience with Verizon, and what their contracts terms will look like, is a known entity now. Verizon no longer offers unlimited data for new subscribers. There are no surprises. What would have been an emotional decision back then is a business decision now.

 

Essentially, AT&T has bent over backwards for several years and treated its iPhone customers differently (i.e. better) than it treats its other customers and better than the other carriers treat theirs.

 

It no longer has a reason to do that, and you're essentially whining that you want to continue being special. Welcome to reality.


Yep - bend the argument every way when it suits your point of view.

 

VZ contracts have always been known and so are ATTs and so are Sprints. ATT and VZ - tgether - removed unlimited plans. No surprises there either. Sure some may stick it out with ATT due to grandfathered plans - but it is not a show stopper.

 

As for whining - why are you whining FOR ATT ???

 

ATT will lose big time on this one IMO - welcome to that reality - and stop defending this losing position.




See my previous post...AT&T is kicking tail & taking names. AT&T apparently sold out of pre-orders, Apple sold out, not sure about Verizon, but Sprint has 32 & 64GB iPhones available for pre-order (only 16GB sold out).

 


hpsb wrote:

dww0311 wrote:

hpsb wrote:

dww0311 wrote
It did that at the time because it made a business decision that writing off all that money on those contracts was worth what it got in return: all those folks were then locked into new two year contracts, with newly reset upgrade periods and ETF's, which served as a nice incentive for them not to jump ship for Verizon when it launched its iPhone.

Great reasoning! This reason absolutely does not apply this time. Right ....

 

Smiley Happy

 


You're correct. It doesn't apply this time. What those folks will experience with Verizon, and what their contracts terms will look like, is a known entity now. Verizon no longer offers unlimited data for new subscribers. There are no surprises. What would have been an emotional decision back then is a business decision now.

 

Essentially, AT&T has bent over backwards for several years and treated its iPhone customers differently (i.e. better) than it treats its other customers and better than the other carriers treat theirs.

 

It no longer has a reason to do that, and you're essentially whining that you want to continue being special. Welcome to reality.


Yep - bend the argument every way when it suits your point of view.

 

VZ contracts have always been known and so are ATTs and so are Sprints. ATT and VZ - tgether - removed unlimited plans. No surprises there either. Sure some may stick it out with ATT due to grandfathered plans - but it is not a show stopper.

 

As for whining - why are you whining FOR ATT ???

 

ATT will lose big time on this one IMO - welcome to that reality - and stop defending this losing position.




Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

40 of 43 (167 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 3:26:24 PM
0
(0)
Teacher
Edited by hpsb on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:27:40 PM

archermoo wrote:
600,000 was over the entire pre-order period last year.  Not just the first day.  The 200,000 on the other hand was just what AT&T sold in the first 12 hours this year.  Still not sure if that includes phones pre-ordered from Apple for use on AT&T or not.

 

AT&T doesn't seem particularly worried, as they are calling this "the most successful iPhone launch we've ever had".



600,000 was the entire pre-order for ATT - whether via APPLE or ATT etc.

 

APPLE this time around has sold 1 million for all three combined - question is what was ATT's share from the APPLE website - 200,000 ? 

 

Yes - highest sale so far for APPLE - but across three providers, not one like last time. APPLE wins definitely. Don't know enough about ATT's situation.


archermoo wrote:
600,000 was over the entire pre-order period last year.  Not just the first day.  The 200,000 on the other hand was just what AT&T sold in the first 12 hours this year.  Still not sure if that includes phones pre-ordered from Apple for use on AT&T or not.

 

AT&T doesn't seem particularly worried, as they are calling this "the most successful iPhone launch we've ever had".



600,000 was the entire pre-order for ATT - whether via APPLE or ATT etc.

 

APPLE this time around has sold 1 million for all three combined - question is what was ATT's share from the APPLE website - 200,000 ? 

 

Yes - highest sale so far for APPLE - but across three providers, not one like last time. APPLE wins definitely. Don't know enough about ATT's situation.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

[ Edited ]
41 of 43 (164 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 3:31:24 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

AT&T sold on average 277 iPhones per minute during the first 12 hours of preorder. I'm sure it isn't complaining.

AT&T sold on average 277 iPhones per minute during the first 12 hours of preorder. I'm sure it isn't complaining.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

42 of 43 (157 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 3:47:26 PM
0
(0)
Guru
Edited by archermoo on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:48:00 PM

hpsb wrote:

archermoo wrote:
600,000 was over the entire pre-order period last year.  Not just the first day.  The 200,000 on the other hand was just what AT&T sold in the first 12 hours this year.  Still not sure if that includes phones pre-ordered from Apple for use on AT&T or not.

 

AT&T doesn't seem particularly worried, as they are calling this "the most successful iPhone launch we've ever had".



600,000 was the entire pre-order for ATT - whether via APPLE or ATT etc.

 

APPLE this time around has sold 1 million for all three combined - question is what was ATT's share from the APPLE website - 200,000 ? 

 

Yes - highest sale so far for APPLE - but across three providers, not one like last time. APPLE wins definitely. Don't know enough about ATT's situation.



From the apple numbers?  Dunno.  I do know that AT&T sold 200,000 iPhones in the first 12 hours, though I don't know if that is just from their own sales or if that includes sales made by Apple for them.  Whereas they sold 600,000 in the entire pre-order week last year.  And are calling this the most successful iPhone launch they've had.  So it sounds like it is going pretty well for them.


hpsb wrote:

archermoo wrote:
600,000 was over the entire pre-order period last year.  Not just the first day.  The 200,000 on the other hand was just what AT&T sold in the first 12 hours this year.  Still not sure if that includes phones pre-ordered from Apple for use on AT&T or not.

 

AT&T doesn't seem particularly worried, as they are calling this "the most successful iPhone launch we've ever had".



600,000 was the entire pre-order for ATT - whether via APPLE or ATT etc.

 

APPLE this time around has sold 1 million for all three combined - question is what was ATT's share from the APPLE website - 200,000 ? 

 

Yes - highest sale so far for APPLE - but across three providers, not one like last time. APPLE wins definitely. Don't know enough about ATT's situation.



From the apple numbers?  Dunno.  I do know that AT&T sold 200,000 iPhones in the first 12 hours, though I don't know if that is just from their own sales or if that includes sales made by Apple for them.  Whereas they sold 600,000 in the entire pre-order week last year.  And are calling this the most successful iPhone launch they've had.  So it sounds like it is going pretty well for them.

Re: AT&T says they sold 200,000 iPhone in 12 hours

[ Edited ]
43 of 43 (142 Views)
Share this post
Share this post