AT&T's discrimination between iPad data customers vs iPad data customer with wireless account

Contributor

AT&T's discrimination between iPad data customers vs iPad data customer with wireless account

I have iPad data plan from AT&T and I was planning to cancel it after completing the month. I called AT&T the day plan was suppose to expire and the executive told me that your account has been recharged and nothing can be done. She offered me that if I would have had an AT&T cellular account then she could give me credit for the $25 but as I don't have an AT&T mobile account so she can not do anything. So why AT&T is discriminating and not refunding my money if I do not have cellular service with AT&T.
Also, I never received any reminder or notification about the recharge and CSR refused to provide me with a copy of email if any notification was sent to me. I had service for just a month and I am really disappointed with the customer service and at&t policy. To me it is cheating on AT&T's part by not notifying the customers and recharging their prepaid accounts without any communication.
Message 1 of 13
Employee

Re: AT&T's discrimination between iPad data customers vs iPad data customer with wireless accoun

It must have been set to auto renew, there is am option to turn it off
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13
Master

Re: AT&T's discrimination between iPad data customers vs iPad data customer with wireless accoun

I don't see why you think AT&T is cheating you here. In the iPad's data Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you signed up, AT&T will continue to bill you each month until you log into your account and cancel the data plan yourself. This can be done right on the iPad itself. Also the rep is correct, there is really no way for AT&T to credit your account, as this is billed on a monthly basis. Once you close out the data account, there really is no where for AT&T to apply a credit, as an account doesn't exist anymore.
Message 3 of 13
Master

JFizDaWiz wrote:
It must have been set to auto renew, there is am option to turn it off
Where is this option to set "auto renew"? When I signed up for my iPad data plan, the only option that I saw was that I would continue to be billed each month until I canceled the data plan myself.
Message 4 of 13
Scholar

Dude... Being continued to be billed until you actually cancel is called auto-renew...
Message 5 of 13
Master

joeshmo2010 wrote:
Dude... Being continued to be billed until you actually cancel is called auto-renew...

I'm aware of what auto renew means. My point above was that there was no "option" for not having the data on auto renew. The member who I quoted said there was an option to turn it off.

Message 6 of 13
Contributor

I had this problem and it was not resolved satisfactorily.  I could not turn off the monthly billing from my iPad.  I had checked a week before my month expired and there was no way to opt out.  So I figure it would expire and then I would re-sign up.  

At the 30 day point I got billed again, so I decided to turn it off from my iPad.  There was no way to opt out on my iPad, only could I opt in.  

I called Apple they said call ATT.  I call ATT and explained the problem to CSR in Columbia, South America and they said they would call me back.  They never did.  So I went to the local ATT store and had them turn in off. I was on day 31.  They did not refund my cost and I have an ATT account on my phone.  Talk about feeling hosed.......... 

Message 7 of 13
Guru

Unless of course the OP purchased the iPad from ATT and they put it on a Postpaid Plan like they did mine.

It's near impossible to cancel since you can't create an online account from the iPad.

I ended up going to an ATT store and the agent took over 1 hour on the phone with ATT to get my plan cancelled.

GOOD LUCK

Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
Voyager

It's pretty easy to cancel an AT&T iPad contract directly from your iPad - you go into "Settings" and then select the "Cellular Data" tab.   From here choose "View Account" and enter the e-mail and password you used when you signed up for the service.  The details of your account appear and you select "Add Data or Change Plan" and then you select "Cancel Plan".

You can easily cancel your AT&T service in under a minute directly from your iPad - of course you'll still have any remaining time / data left on your plan but the service will not 'auto renew'...

Message 9 of 13
Contributor

Sorry but that answer is a CROCK!  AT&T seemed to find a way to TAKE our money for the data plan via a credit card.  But when it comes time for a refund they suddenly can't figure out how a CREDIT CARD works?

This is borderline fraud by AT&T.  They should be ashamed at how they treat their customers.  They are maximizing their revenue at the EXPENSE of their customers.

I would advise anyone who has canceled their data plan before all the data was used to do the following:

• Contact AT&T Customer Service and complain.
  • Contact your credit card company and dispute the charge
  • Contact the Better Business Bureau in your area and file a complaint  
  • Post on social media about your experience

If enough people do this, AT&T will have to address our concerns.

Message 10 of 13
Master

zenmast3r wrote:

Sorry but that answer is a CROCK!  AT&T seemed to find a way to TAKE our money for the data plan via a credit card.  But when it comes time for a refund they suddenly can't figure out how a CREDIT CARD works?

This is borderline fraud by AT&T.  They should be ashamed at how they treat their customers.  They are maximizing their revenue at the EXPENSE of their customers.

I would advise anyone who has canceled their data plan before all the data was used to do the following:

• Contact AT&T Customer Service and complain.
  • Contact your credit card company and dispute the charge
  • Contact the Better Business Bureau in your area and file a complaint  
  • Post on social media about your experience

If enough people do this, AT&T will have to address our concerns.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with you more here. AT&T doesn't force iPad customers to sign up for their data plans, either through postpaid in store set up or by going through the iPad itself. I think it's important when signing up for any kind of plan that involves either a short or long term commitment to fully read the TOS and not to continue signing up if there is something there that you don't agree with.
Message 11 of 13

Everyone knows that terms and conditions are written in legalese and that nobody reads them and almost nobody understands them. You are forced to accept them by clicking in order to get the result you need, i.e. activation of an app or phone or service. A true contract is agreed to by both parties and is a "meeting of the minds". In contract law, without a meeting of the minds there is no contract. That is the basis for contract law. You people have all been brainwashed by the corporations taking over America. You actually think that it's wrong for people to want to  have access to unlimited data and use it whatever way they like because it's supposed to be unlimited. You think that people should happily stand in line to pay through the nose for the same thing we've already paid for, such as tethering for data that we are paying for so that execs can get 24 million dollar paychecks and ATT can make 6 billion dollars a quarter in profits while people who don't have the capacity to understand what they are forced to click through get stuck. 

Message 12 of 13
Master

stevemcmahon40 wrote:

Everyone knows that terms and conditions are written in legalese and that nobody reads them and almost nobody understands them. You are forced to accept them by clicking in order to get the result you need, i.e. activation of an app or phone or service. A true contract is agreed to by both parties and is a "meeting of the minds". In contract law, without a meeting of the minds there is no contract. That is the basis for contract law. You people have all been brainwashed by the corporations taking over America. You actually think that it's wrong for people to want to  have access to unlimited data and use it whatever way they like because it's supposed to be unlimited. You think that people should happily stand in line to pay through the nose for the same thing we've already paid for, such as tethering for data that we are paying for so that execs can get 24 million dollar paychecks and ATT can make 6 billion dollars a quarter in profits while people who don't have the capacity to understand what they are forced to click through get stuck. 

I'm not brainwashed about anything and I also don't work for AT&T. As far as the iPads TOS there is absolutely nothing complicated or hard to understand about the billing process. Heck, even an 80 year old can understand it. My point is, once you hit the submit button, which by the way you are not "forced" to do as you put it, you have no room to complain later on just because you disagree with the way the iPads billing system works.

Message 13 of 13
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support