Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 17, 2011
1:40:11 PM
View profile
AT&T's commitment to Android upgrades?

So what is AT&T's official position on upgrades to Android phones now?  My wife's Motorola Flipside, bought in November 2010, *finally* got upgraded from Android 2.1 to 2.2 in August 2011.  Where's 2.3?

I heard that AT&T had "commited" to 18 months of Android OS upgrades on all phones purchased in 2011.  But I'd like to see something official on that topic.

I'm strongly considering a Galaxy S2, but ONLY if I'm going to be seeing OS upgrades for at least a year after purchase.  Android "Ice Cream Sandwich" is just weeks away.  I don't want my state-of-the-art device to be obsolete less than a month after I buy it!

So what is AT&T's official position on upgrades to Android phones now?  My wife's Motorola Flipside, bought in November 2010, *finally* got upgraded from Android 2.1 to 2.2 in August 2011.  Where's 2.3?

I heard that AT&T had "commited" to 18 months of Android OS upgrades on all phones purchased in 2011.  But I'd like to see something official on that topic.

I'm strongly considering a Galaxy S2, but ONLY if I'm going to be seeing OS upgrades for at least a year after purchase.  Android "Ice Cream Sandwich" is just weeks away.  I don't want my state-of-the-art device to be obsolete less than a month after I buy it!

AT&T's commitment to Android upgrades?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 5:14:11 AM
(0)
Voyager

Actually ICS is coming out tonight so you will have an outdated phone before you even walk out the door. My wife's Galaxy Captivate upgrade to 2.2 took months and it just got 2.3. Those were just tweaks to the OS. Imagine how long it will take them to come out with a Major update like ICS. I have an Iphone 3GS and although I like the Galaxy S2, I'll wait for a high end phone with ICS to be released on AT&T's network, or go to Verizon. It will be less time than waiting for an upgraded OS.

Actually ICS is coming out tonight so you will have an outdated phone before you even walk out the door. My wife's Galaxy Captivate upgrade to 2.2 took months and it just got 2.3. Those were just tweaks to the OS. Imagine how long it will take them to come out with a Major update like ICS. I have an Iphone 3GS and although I like the Galaxy S2, I'll wait for a high end phone with ICS to be released on AT&T's network, or go to Verizon. It will be less time than waiting for an upgraded OS.

Re: AT&T's commitment to Android upgrades?

2 of 12 (1,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 10:54:49 AM
(0)
Master
This is about as official as it going to get.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

It is also highly unlikely that the Motorola Flipside is going to get an official Gingerbread (Android 2.3) update.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
This is about as official as it going to get.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

It is also highly unlikely that the Motorola Flipside is going to get an official Gingerbread (Android 2.3) update.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 12 (1,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2011 12:01:14 PM
(0)
Professor
Good reference, Anndroid154. I read it , atts commitment is apple pie
Good reference, Anndroid154. I read it , atts commitment is apple pie
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

4 of 12 (1,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 11:51:19 AM
(0)
Guru

Except for the iphone, if you get ONE update from at&t, consider yourself lucky.

Think about it.  Unless it is a security update, they don't want phones to be updated.  It goes against their

business model.  New phones with new software = upgrades.

Old phones with new software = No upgrades.

Except for the iphone, if you get ONE update from at&t, consider yourself lucky.

Think about it.  Unless it is a security update, they don't want phones to be updated.  It goes against their

5 of 12 (1,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 9:04:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

p51d007 wrote:

You don't get the update from AT&T. You get it from Apple. If you want quick updates, go with one of the Nexus phones so you can get your updates directly from Google. Both the Nexus One and Nexus S are slated to receive the update.

p51d007 wrote:

You don't get the update from AT&T. You get it from Apple. If you want quick updates, go with one of the Nexus phones so you can get your updates directly from Google. Both the Nexus One and Nexus S are slated to receive the update.

6 of 12 (1,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 2:33:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm very disappointed in AT&T. I've had my Samsung Infuse 4G for 2 months. It's been 3 months since they announced Gingerbread. It's been almost a year since Gingerbread's original release date.

I've had no interest in rooting my phone, but I'm getting tired of checking for a release notice every day.

I'm very disappointed in AT&T. I've had my Samsung Infuse 4G for 2 months. It's been 3 months since they announced Gingerbread. It's been almost a year since Gingerbread's original release date.

I've had no interest in rooting my phone, but I'm getting tired of checking for a release notice every day.

7 of 12 (1,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 4:09:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

I also find it very sad that ATT/Samsung continually point the finger at each other for lack of update.

It would be nice if one of the MODS would actually comment on these posts and let us know what is going on...this is, in my opinion the worst service that I have ever received from ATT (regarding OS updates).

My iPhone updated (what seemed like) all the time...very sad.

I also find it very sad that ATT/Samsung continually point the finger at each other for lack of update.

It would be nice if one of the MODS would actually comment on these posts and let us know what is going on...this is, in my opinion the worst service that I have ever received from ATT (regarding OS updates).

My iPhone updated (what seemed like) all the time...very sad.

8 of 12 (1,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 6:38:37 AM
(0)
Guru

bmgoodman wrote:

The Galaxy S2 has around 95% hardware commonality with the international variant (the I9100) - So if you're willing to go "unofficial" - it's going to see fairly frequent upgrades as porting I9100 improvements/updates to the I777 is VERY easy.

Note, this ONLY applies to the I777 - the upcoming Skyrocket is oddball hardware that is going to be in an even worse situation as far as updates.

AT&T keeps blaming Samsung, but all you have to do is look at the I9000 update rate and compare it to the Captivate update rate, and remember that the hardware of those two devices is 95% identical.  The I9000 got Gingerbread around when the Captivate got Froyo - AT&T blames Samsung but people on XDA have no problem taking I9000 updates to full functionality on the Captivate in only 1-2 weeks - So what's AT&T's excuse for a 6+ month delay when a bunch of hobbyists can beat them to the goal in 1-2 weeks?

bmgoodman wrote:

The Galaxy S2 has around 95% hardware commonality with the international variant (the I9100) - So if you're willing to go "unofficial" - it's going to see fairly frequent upgrades as porting I9100 improvements/updates to the I777 is VERY easy.

Note, this ONLY applies to the I777 - the upcoming Skyrocket is oddball hardware that is going to be in an even worse situation as far as updates.

AT&T keeps blaming Samsung, but all you have to do is look at the I9000 update rate and compare it to the Captivate update rate, and remember that the hardware of those two devices is 95% identical.  The I9000 got Gingerbread around when the Captivate got Froyo - AT&T blames Samsung but people on XDA have no problem taking I9000 updates to full functionality on the Captivate in only 1-2 weeks - So what's AT&T's excuse for a 6+ month delay when a bunch of hobbyists can beat them to the goal in 1-2 weeks?

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

9 of 12 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 4:13:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

When did AT&T samsung captivate got 2.3? I still have 2.2 in my device. Is there official release of gingerbread by AT&T? Please let me know. Thanks in advance

When did AT&T samsung captivate got 2.3? I still have 2.2 in my device. Is there official release of gingerbread by AT&T? Please let me know. Thanks in advance

10 of 12 (1,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 7:52:17 AM
(0)
Guru

dineshbaj wrote:

No official releases - if you want Gingerbread you need to run ported I9000 firmware.

dineshbaj wrote:

No official releases - if you want Gingerbread you need to run ported I9000 firmware.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

11 of 12 (650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 10:21:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

The Gingerbread is a lie.... Man Sad

The Gingerbread is a lie.... Man Sad

12 of 12 (615 Views)