Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 9, 2012
6:22:18 PM
AT&T's Shady Customer Service and Billing Practices
Edited by ShaunMN on May 9, 2012 at 6:29:52 PM

So, back in November of 2011, my wife and I changed the AT&T account from my name to hers as her employer had begun offering an AT&T discount.  Of course, this process was FAR more complicated than it should have been.  We had to go into the AT&T store to accomplish it, so we did.  Seems simple, but it wasn’t.  Of course we had to stop the account in my name and begin a new account in hers.  We went through this process, and were told what that balance was on my account which we had to pay prior to the transfer, which we did. 

Since that time, we’ve continued to pay every AT&T bill we’ve received in full, around $140 per month.  Flash forward to today, May 9, 2012.  I receive an EXTREMELY shady, downright rude call from a collection agency who wanted to know my social security number.  Apparently, AT&T had sent me to a collections agency for $40 that had remained on the previous account unpaid.   I spent nearly 40 minutes on the phone with AT&T customer service (35 of those minutes on hold), and explained the situation.  She agreed that the situation had been mishandled by AT&T and told me my charge would be eliminated and had an email generated to me confirming this.  About 2 hours later, I received a call from a DIFFERENT AT&T representative (Evan {personal content removed for safety} who left me a smarmy voice mail saying that the charges were valid and would not be eliminated after all.  I’m absolutely disgusted by this ridiculously unprofessional process!  We’ve paid thousands to AT&T over the years, and they are treating me so poorly over a $40 charge they THEMSELVES agreed should be rescinded.  A lot of competing companies out there and I’m looking.

So, back in November of 2011, my wife and I changed the AT&T account from my name to hers as her employer had begun offering an AT&T discount.  Of course, this process was FAR more complicated than it should have been.  We had to go into the AT&T store to accomplish it, so we did.  Seems simple, but it wasn’t.  Of course we had to stop the account in my name and begin a new account in hers.  We went through this process, and were told what that balance was on my account which we had to pay prior to the transfer, which we did. 

Since that time, we’ve continued to pay every AT&T bill we’ve received in full, around $140 per month.  Flash forward to today, May 9, 2012.  I receive an EXTREMELY shady, downright rude call from a collection agency who wanted to know my social security number.  Apparently, AT&T had sent me to a collections agency for $40 that had remained on the previous account unpaid.   I spent nearly 40 minutes on the phone with AT&T customer service (35 of those minutes on hold), and explained the situation.  She agreed that the situation had been mishandled by AT&T and told me my charge would be eliminated and had an email generated to me confirming this.  About 2 hours later, I received a call from a DIFFERENT AT&T representative (Evan {personal content removed for safety} who left me a smarmy voice mail saying that the charges were valid and would not be eliminated after all.  I’m absolutely disgusted by this ridiculously unprofessional process!  We’ve paid thousands to AT&T over the years, and they are treating me so poorly over a $40 charge they THEMSELVES agreed should be rescinded.  A lot of competing companies out there and I’m looking.

AT&T's Shady Customer Service and Billing Practices

[ Edited ]
1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2012 6:31:37 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

In efforts to avoid board clutter and confusion, we ask that you please refrain from cross and double posting. Please check here for responses to your inquiry. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

In efforts to avoid board clutter and confusion, we ask that you please refrain from cross and double posting. Please check here for responses to your inquiry. Thank you.

Re: AT&T's Shady Customer Service and Billing Practices

2 of 2 (588 Views)