AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

Teacher

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

A demand that customers are treated equally is not a joke. It is, in fact, a pretty valid demand if you ask me. Regardless, I do not want to comment on that because when people are angry they say what the usually would not say. Now, back to the point. 

 

Virtual, with all due respect, you are a little off in your view of how a business works. Business is meant to be mutually beneficial. I get what I need from you, you get what you need from me. I am absolutely in my right to want to leave if I cannot get what I want from you, just as you are within your right to leave me if you do not get what you want. 

 

If a customer is not in his right to leave because he cannot get a service, then a provider should not be allowed to terminate a customer for not paying...its the same thing. I know you will have some remark to this and I can't wait to here it...after all you are representing your employer in a wonderful way..

Message 31 of 50 (893 Views)
Guru

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?


jimok82 wrote:

A demand that customers are treated equally is not a joke. It is, in fact, a pretty valid demand if you ask me. Regardless, I do not want to comment on that because when people are angry they say what the usually would not say. Now, back to the point. 

 

Virtual, with all due respect, you are a little off in your view of how a business works. Business is meant to be mutually beneficial. I get what I need from you, you get what you need from me. I am absolutely in my right to want to leave if I cannot get what I want from you, just as you are within your right to leave me if you do not get what you want. 

 

If a customer is not in his right to leave because he cannot get a service, then a provider should not be allowed to terminate a customer for not paying...its the same thing. I know you will have some remark to this and I can't wait to here it...after all you are representing your employer in a wonderful way..


:facepalm:

 

Ok, let's go for parts.

 

1. All customers are treated as equal, this depending of the type of service they get, etc. What you want to do is to get an exception to upgrade way too early just to get the newest and most fancy phone to be released, that means you're getting a benefit that others can't or may not have, so your meaning of equallity goes to the trash.

 

2. Yes, you can cancel the day you want for the reason you want. It's OK to cancel your service if you don't get what you want, but what you're doing is menacing AT&T about cancelling your account if you're not let to upgrade the day you want. THAT'S what I'm talking about and the reason of why I laugh (yes, laugh) at you and all the people that feel that they're entitled to everything just because they got an iPhone.

 

You went totally off-topic, from asking for an early early upgrade just because you want an iPhone to thinking that AT&T won't let you cancel your account. Pay the ETF and cancel if you want, nobody is stopping you from doing that.

 

Also a reminder, usually no exceptions are applied for iPhone upgrade, at least now with the 3G and 3GS, you can only upgrade or early upgrade the date you're assigned. If you get an upgrade at an earlier date, then lucky you, enjoy your new phone, but as I told you, don't expect this will be like that always.

 

And as I told you, my opinions have nothing to do of being an AT&T agent. I'm a forum user, just like you or like all the other posters here, so don't involve my comentaries with my work as an agent.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 32 of 50 (877 Views)
Teacher

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

Ok Let's go for parts.

 

1. Being allowed to upgrade after 12 months when other customer are allowed to upgrade after 12 months sounds pretty equal to me. I am not asking to be allowed to upgrade "way to early" I am actually asking to be allowed to upgrade when other customers are being allowed to upgrade since, you know, that sounds a little....fair maybe?

 

2. Laugh away at those who (insert cliche here) "pay your salary." Again, you need to understand that being in this forum and posting as an employee is like being in the store and wearing a uniform. You have to present your employer in a respectable manner, even if you are off the clock. Would you say this if you were at the store you work? If yes, then you probably would have trouble keeping your job...if no, then you should probably remove the signature saying "I am an AT&T employee" 

 

Now, to the important part. Yes I would be very offended at the fact that some customers who bought 3GS phones are allowed to upgrade after 12 months, and I would not be allowed to do so. I am actually not so much offended for myself as I am for all users. AT&T does not need me and I definitely do not need AT&T, so this point is moot. 

 

Still however, it all boils down to the fact that, for some hidden and unknown reason, people's upgrade dates are being pushed up 6 months and not everyone is invited to this party. This is not a separation of customers based on the service because all of these customer have the same iphone service to a very large extent. 

 

Now..back to your laughing, which I hope your stomach muscles are not killing you by now.....all those people who feel that they are entitled to everything just because they have an iPhone are a completely different subject...what we are talking about here is that I feel that I should be treated the same as everyone else who has an iPhone. Is that wrong of me to think so? 

 

Have you ever seen a company that says to two different customers that bought the exact same thing on the exact same day under the exact same circumstances that customer A will get a discount and customer B will not?! What is the justification for that? Why would Customer B not be expected to be mad?

 

 

 

Message 33 of 50 (855 Views)
Guru

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

[ Edited ]

Let's just finish this, ok?

 

If AT&T approves the early upgrade for all iPhone customer, including you, then there's equallity. THAT'S what you're meaning at this moment.

 

If AT&T doesn't approve, it, but you menace about cancelling your account because they can't give you the upgrade date the day you want, then that's not equallity, that's just feeling entitled just because you got a certain device or want a certain device (in this case, the iPhone) or you think you pay enough to have it. THIS is what you referred in your first post: Give me the upgrade date I want or I'll cancel my account.

 

If AT&T does approve it, fine, go for it. If not, then wait until your elegibility date. PERIOD.

 

If you want to cancel if they don't give you the elegibility date you want, do it, nobody is denying you from doing it.

 

And again, my work has NOTHING to do with my commentaries, read the signature we have carefully, please.

 

Outta here, cya tomorrow.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 34 of 50 (847 Views)
Teacher

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

OK, we might declare peace after this round...

 

My first post does not state what you say it states. My first post states that I will cancel if AT&T does not give me the upgrade date that it is giving everybody else who got the same device at the same time. I do not feel comfortable being discriminated against for some unknown reason. If Bill, Joe and Tom only have to wait 12 months for the iPhones they bought on 6/20/09, then so should I, because my money is just as green as theirs. It is a completely different thing from the words you are trying to put in my mouth. I can care less when I get the phone, but what I can't get over is this separation of classes between people who for unknown reasons are getting their date changed, and other people who are not, when all of the people are covered by the exact same circumstance. 

 

I bothers me a lot that something like this happens...if this is being done, then it should be done in an open way, and it is not a coincidence that thousands of people are coming out and noticing the date has changed for them. 

 

Even if I were one of the people that gets the update date changed...it would still bother me. 

Message 35 of 50 (840 Views)
Professor

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

Enough with the back and forth.

Not everyone is getting the "bumped" upgrade date.

AT&T has made NO official statements.

 

None of us know if these supposed upgrade date changes are actually taking place, we can only take others at their word and hope they are being truthfull.

 

Message 36 of 50 (808 Views)

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

jimok82:

 

#1 Being allowed to upgrade early before the standard of 20 months into your 24 month agreement due to you pay more is just the incentive provided by MANY carriers not just AT&T. Although my money is just as green as yours & any other customers, I pay AT&T MORE GREEN therefore they'd allow more incentives to keep ME happy POINT BLANK. That's just the way business is done.

 

#2 We can laugh @ those who pay our salary (not being disrespectful @ all) due to the fact that's ABSOLUTELY the ONLY way we can deal w/ some of the problems and confusion customers cause. You laugh it off & keep it moving basically. While off the clock we can do whatever we pretty much want because we no longer HAVE TO REPRESENT our employer. If I wanna smoke or drink so be it. If I want to go to a bar or club so be it. AT&T can't deny those rights on the basis that they don't like them. Kinda like working for MACY's & shopping @ SEARS lmbo.

 

Although you're offended you are in GREAT company. There are many customers who are upset that Jim setup service last year w/ an iPhone 3GS & can upgrade after 12 months just because he pays more when they've had service since 1999. Although loyatly IS valued in today's economy MONEY TALKS!!! EVERYONE KNOWS this all too well. AT&T needs every customer so don't EVER feel unvalued.

 

As far as the UPGRADE DATE changes, everything is handled by a billing system. Software goes haywire. I guarantee those upgrade dates will be fixed & sure enough those customers will be complaining on the fourm their upgrade date was pushed back illegally. A few days ago Twitter's software went crazy & users could list ANYONE as a follower on their streams. The problem was fixed after NO ONE could show any followers for a while pretty much & after fixing it they can only ask that those who fraudulently added followers KINDLY remove them. Let's get real. Probably won't happen. things happen. You can call customer service but they're left outta the loop a lotta times & they take TONS of heat for things beyond their control. They're basically told (not really but probably) just take the complaints & getting cussed & keep it moving. If not, they have someone who's more than likely to take that job from them. In today's economy they'd keep that job most surely!!!

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 37 of 50 (792 Views)
Scholar

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

It is known how the uprades work, this is basically the bottom line.

 

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/upgrade-advantage.jsp

 

 

and in the small text it states  "Customer eligibility may vary based on credit history, payment history, payment status, customer type and other factors"

 

other factors  would include things that are part of the value of said account based on the above statment.

 

Also, even if our words do not represent ATT on these forums, it still represents the the employees as a whole who work for ATT and provide service to the customers. We should still be respectful on these forums.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 38 of 50 (770 Views)
Mentor

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

[ Edited ]

I thought you were eligible in 12 months if you paid over $100 a month for your phone plan not including data.  18 months for everything else.  Does anybody know if that's correct?  My upgrade date as been June 20, 2010 since I bought my Iphone 3GS on launch day last year.

Message 39 of 50 (717 Views)
Scholar

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

It's been answered already if you read all the posts in this thread.

Message 40 of 50 (712 Views)
Teacher

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

 


PhoneScoop wrote:

jimok82:

 

#1 Being allowed to upgrade early before the standard of 20 months into your 24 month agreement due to you pay more is just the incentive provided by MANY carriers not just AT&T. Although my money is just as green as yours & any other customers, I pay AT&T MORE GREEN therefore they'd allow more incentives to keep ME happy POINT BLANK. That's just the way business is done.

 

#2 We can laugh @ those who pay our salary (not being disrespectful @ all) due to the fact that's ABSOLUTELY the ONLY way we can deal w/ some of the problems and confusion customers cause. You laugh it off & keep it moving basically. While off the clock we can do whatever we pretty much want because we no longer HAVE TO REPRESENT our employer. If I wanna smoke or drink so be it. If I want to go to a bar or club so be it. AT&T can't deny those rights on the basis that they don't like them. Kinda like working for MACY's & shopping @ SEARS lmbo.

 


 

 

You are almost correct, but not entirely. I pay 250$ a month...which is, if you look at it, an iphone a month....Others pay 80-90 and get the upgrade date.

THAT is what is bothering me. If what you are saying were fully true then I should also have gotten the new upgrade date. 

Regardless, I don't want to act like a little kid right now so I will stop talking about it...but it is still odd that this is happening. Perhaps you are right that it is a glitch. 

 

In regards to what you are saying about the ability to say what you want when you are off the clock...again you are partially correct. In fact, this is the part that angers me the most. You are not looking at this professionally. If you are in an ATT uniform, for example, in a bar then everything is fine. If, however, you are in an ATT uniform in an ATT store, then you are still required to represent the company. You may tell a customer that you are not on the clock and will call someone else over, but you have to treat the customer with the same respect as when you are on the clock correct? This forum is an ATT company forum, therefore you, as an employee, need to either act as professional as you would when you are on the clock, or should remove the signature telling people you are an employee. 

 

I am not talking about you personally, but this is a matter of principle. I have seen employees in uniform, and off the clock, get fired for not helping a customer because when you are an employee of a company and you in that company's place of business...no customer is required to know whether or not you are off the clock..and there is no such thing as "I am an ATT employee in an ATT forum but what I say does not matter because I am just a normal user." You are not a normal user, you are a normal user that just so happens to be paid by ATT and trained by ATT, so you should at least pretend to respect the customers.

 

Again...not a personal attack..just a matter of principle.

 

In regards to laughing it off...I am the customer care manager of a 20M dollar dedicated server company so I completely understand you and I tell you that I would fire any of my people on the spot if they ever wrote something like what was written in this forum earlier. 

Message 41 of 50 (1,008 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

 

*Does not apply to iPhone Smiley Happy It says it in 4 places

lavitztyr wrote:

It is known how the uprades work, this is basically the bottom line.

 

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/upgrade-advantage.jsp

 

 

and in the small text it states  "Customer eligibility may vary based on credit history, payment history, payment status, customer type and other factors"

 

other factors  would include things that are part of the value of said account based on the above statment.

 

Also, even if our words do not represent ATT on these forums, it still represents the the employees as a whole who work for ATT and provide service to the customers. We should still be respectful on these forums.


 

Message 42 of 50 (1,007 Views)
Professor

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

 


jimok82 wrote:

 


PhoneScoop wrote:

jimok82:

 

#1 Being allowed to upgrade early before the standard of 20 months into your 24 month agreement due to you pay more is just the incentive provided by MANY carriers not just AT&T. Although my money is just as green as yours & any other customers, I pay AT&T MORE GREEN therefore they'd allow more incentives to keep ME happy POINT BLANK. That's just the way business is done.

 

#2 We can laugh @ those who pay our salary (not being disrespectful @ all) due to the fact that's ABSOLUTELY the ONLY way we can deal w/ some of the problems and confusion customers cause. You laugh it off & keep it moving basically. While off the clock we can do whatever we pretty much want because we no longer HAVE TO REPRESENT our employer. If I wanna smoke or drink so be it. If I want to go to a bar or club so be it. AT&T can't deny those rights on the basis that they don't like them. Kinda like working for MACY's & shopping @ SEARS lmbo.

 


 

 

You are almost correct, but not entirely. I pay 250$ a month...which is, if you look at it, an iphone a month....Others pay 80-90 and get the upgrade date.

THAT is what is bothering me. If what you are saying were fully true then I should also have gotten the new upgrade date. 

Regardless, I don't want to act like a little kid right now so I will stop talking about it...but it is still odd that this is happening. Perhaps you are right that it is a glitch. 

 

In regards to what you are saying about the ability to say what you want when you are off the clock...again you are partially correct. In fact, this is the part that angers me the most. You are not looking at this professionally. If you are in an ATT uniform, for example, in a bar then everything is fine. If, however, you are in an ATT uniform in an ATT store, then you are still required to represent the company. You may tell a customer that you are not on the clock and will call someone else over, but you have to treat the customer with the same respect as when you are on the clock correct? This forum is an ATT company forum, therefore you, as an employee, need to either act as professional as you would when you are on the clock, or should remove the signature telling people you are an employee. 

 

I am not talking about you personally, but this is a matter of principle. I have seen employees in uniform, and off the clock, get fired for not helping a customer because when you are an employee of a company and you in that company's place of business...no customer is required to know whether or not you are off the clock..and there is no such thing as "I am an ATT employee in an ATT forum but what I say does not matter because I am just a normal user." You are not a normal user, you are a normal user that just so happens to be paid by ATT and trained by ATT, so you should at least pretend to respect the customers.

 

Again...not a personal attack..just a matter of principle.

 

In regards to laughing it off...I am the customer care manager of a 20M dollar dedicated server company so I completely understand you and I tell you that I would fire any of my people on the spot if they ever wrote something like what was written in this forum earlier. 


 

But how much of that $250 (was $280 in a previous post) is for your line?  Upgrade eligibility is per line.  If you are paying $250/month for all 3 lines, so what?  How much are you paying for EACH line.  Each line will have it's own unique upgrade eligibility date.  Those dates may coincide if the lines were opened at the same time, have the same plan, and pay a similar amount each month. 

 

However, if it is a family plan, the main line will have an earlier upgrade date as it pays a larger portion of the bill each month.

 

Message 43 of 50 (996 Views)
Teacher

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

"However, if it is a family plan, the main line will have an earlier upgrade date as it pays a larger portion of the bill each month."

 

Yet another things that makes no sense, honestly. 

 

What makes the main line so....main? They are all identical...the money should theoretically be split evenly..

Message 44 of 50 (986 Views)
Teacher

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

[ Edited ]

Actually I know why this is the case. 

 

When you have a family plan, it is assumed you have an actual family. With the current setup, daddy's phone becomes eligible for an upgrade and then the kids and mommy get mad and they want new phones, but they are not eligible, so daddy gets to spend 600$ extra to buy those phones and ATT goes home happy knowing daddy now has 4 new phones and $600 less to feed the little brats with.

 

(Note: all the names and characters are completely fictional)

 

 

Message 45 of 50 (972 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.