AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

Professor

Re: AT&T rolling back upgrade eligibility in anticipation for new iPhone?

roxlie wrote:

A co-worker and I bought our 3gs phones on release day.  My account shows eligible upgrade as 11/07/2010.  Hers is eligible on 06/20/2010.

This could be because a difference of plans and/or features of the two accounts.

Message 16 of 50 (1,122 Views)
Scholar

My upgrade date shows 6/19/2010.

Whether or not I do will depend upon whether the 3G rollout for my area actually happens or it's just an AT&T sales guy's wishful thinking.

Message 17 of 50 (1,094 Views)
Expert

Upgrade last week for my Iphone was 11/20/2010

Upgrade today fpr my Iphone is 11/20/2010

No change

Message 18 of 50 (1,071 Views)
Teacher

I don't know about anyone else here, but personally, I have a family plan with 3 iphones on it and a dumbphone, totalling 280$ a month in bills. I was also one of the "few" who pre-ordered a 3GS. Add to that the fact I just bough a 4th iphone because my wife's was bricked (adding another 2 years to her contract of course) and I have to say that if I do not get the 6/20 eligibility date, I will absolutely cancel everything and move to another provider. I will do this not because I can't live without an iphone...quite the contrary...I will do it because I think it is offensive to me as a customer to have to wait until 2/21/11 to upgrade when people who pay 3x less can upgrade sooner. 

You do NOT play pick and choose with your customers. If customer A gets something because he bought an iphone early, then so should customer B, C, D and Z.  Note: I am, according to the site, eligible from 2/21/11 for iphone number 2 (3GS bought on 6/20) and it better change...

Message 19 of 50 (1,045 Views)
Master

I spoke with two of my friends that both own a different model of the iPhone, and one of them did have the upgrade date moved to the end of June, while the other one didn't. Because I paid full retail for the 3GS that I have now, I am already eligible to upgrade when the new iPhone comes out.

Message 20 of 50 (1,036 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if those who have their upgrade dates moved back have the 3G , as opposed to, the 3GS. As we all know, the new 4.0 OS version will have features that will only work on the 3GS and not the 3G (e.g. multi-tasking), so maybe AT&T and Apple want to give the opportunity to those with the 3G to upgrade the hardware so they can benefit from the new features.

UPDATE: I just read some other posts on the thread, and my conclusion is that people with earlier upgrades are just that. Upgrades are no longer based on times of hardware ownership, but on usage patterns, so I wonder what plans and how much money those who have early upgrades spend.

Message 21 of 50 (1,203 Views)
Master

Correct.  Its just another story that jumped the gun and posting an article before verifying the information.  Common nowadays with iPhone rumors.

UPDATE – AT&T writes:

There has been no change in policy around eligibility dates. Our existing policy aims to allow customers to upgrade to new devices as early as possible – exact timing is based on a variety of factors (length of contract, payment history, etc.) unique to each customer’s account. We constantly update our systems based on these factors, meaning some customers become eligible earlier than they anticipated.

Message 22 of 50 (1,150 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Planet-Ed is correct. There are only certain situations in which people are able to upgrade early this summer.

I got my upgrade date changed form 11/20 to 6/20 by changing my rate plan to the 900 minutes plan and adding unlimited SMS. This made my total services go from $85 to $120. A week after paying my first bill at this rate, my upgrade date changed to 6/20.

Want your upgrade date changed to? Pay AT&T more money per month and you too can upgrade this summer. Once I upgrade, I am changing my plans back to 200 SMS/450 minutes. I have no use for 900 minutes and unlimited SMS.

Message 23 of 50 (1,140 Views)
Scholar

That's not a bad plan in order to push your ungrade eligibilty up.  It's only what you spend on the primary line,  correct?  So,  if I make any changes to my wife's secondary line in our family talk plan,  her upgrade eligibilty will not be affected?  My line is currently eligible for an upgrade and I would like to push her eligibilty date up (her upgrade elgibility date is 2/21/2011),  so we both can get the new iPhone.

Message 24 of 50 (1,132 Views)
Scholar

You would need to upgrade her plan in order to push up her eligibility date. If you do it now, it's possible you can still get in on time for the release date of the new iPhone. As I said, mine changed about a week after I made the first payment on the new rate plan.

Message 25 of 50 (1,128 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

jimok82 wrote:

I don't know about anyone else here, but personally, I have a family plan with 3 iphones on it and a dumbphone, totalling 280$ a month in bills. I was also one of the "few" who pre-ordered a 3GS. Add to that the fact I just bough a 4th iphone because my wife's was bricked (adding another 2 years to her contract of course) and I have to say that if I do not get the 6/20 eligibility date, I will absolutely cancel everything and move to another provider. I will do this not because I can't live without an iphone...quite the contrary...I will do it because I think it is offensive to me as a customer to have to wait until 2/21/11 to upgrade when people who pay 3x less can upgrade sooner. 

You do NOT play pick and choose with your customers. If customer A gets something because he bought an iphone early, then so should customer B, C, D and Z.  Note: I am, according to the site, eligible from 2/21/11 for iphone number 2 (3GS bought on 6/20) and it better change...

You gotta be kidding, you want an exception for more than 8 months?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 26 of 50 (1,089 Views)
Scholar

I have the FamilyTalk Nation 450 plan, $39.99 for the primary line and $19.99 for the second line. It's an old grandfathered plan. Upgrading her plan would not have much of an impact on anything. I get 28% discount off the rate plan and iPhone plan on the primary line. I could change my plan to the Nation 550 FamilyTalk plan, but I see no benefit in doing that.
Message 27 of 50 (1,060 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

I just got off the phone with AT&T management (who were shocked at Virtual's post, not surprisingly)  and they explained the following, which I will try to paraphrase. 

Apple and AT&T have a contract which dictates the upgrade eligibility of an account, and this contract has not been changed. Primarily, the upgrade eligibility is based on payment history, which I have to assume includes the age of the account. The MRC, or monthy recurring charge, also plays a role. For those who are on family plans, it is the primary phone account that has the largest MRC, and as a result, it qualifies for better upgrade dates than the other lines, though there is no guarantee that this is true.

Virtual, this part is for you personally. I have been a customer care manager for a good number of years now, and I deal with angry customers all the time. I also deal with people such as myself who tend to feel that all customers are equal. Every company tries to claim this, but we all know it isn't true. Whether or not I am "entitled to NOTHING" is not your decision to make, and regardless of your signature/disclaimer, you are putting words in your employer's mouth....words which I feel are not true. 

Message 28 of 50 (1,020 Views)
Guru

Well, then don't post menacing posts that you will cancel your service if you don't get what you want. As I said, you're entitled to nothing just because you pay high bills or have OVER 9000 lines in your account. You got your elegibility date and it must be respected. If you can be offered an early upgrade, then it's your choice if to ask for it or wait for the upgrade date. If you get the exception to ask for the upgrade at an earlier date without extra charge, then go for it, but it's and it will never be correct to menace the company about cancelling your service just because you can't get what you want. It doesn't work like that.

And my post has nothing to do in regard of me being an AT&T employee, but just another forum regular.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 29 of 50 (1,006 Views)

jimok82 wrote:

I just got off the phone with AT&T management (who were shocked at Virtual's post, not surprisingly)  and they explained the following, which I will try to paraphrase. 

Apple and AT&T have a contract which dictates the upgrade eligibility of an account, and this contract has not been changed. Primarily, the upgrade eligibility is based on payment history, which I have to assume includes the age of the account. The MRC, or monthy recurring charge, also plays a role. For those who are on family plans, it is the primary phone account that has the largest MRC, and as a result, it qualifies for better upgrade dates than the other lines, though there is no guarantee that this is true.

Virtual, this part is for you personally. I have been a customer care manager for a good number of years now, and I deal with angry customers all the time. I also deal with people such as myself who tend to feel that all customers are equal. Every company tries to claim this, but we all know it isn't true. Whether or not I am "entitled to NOTHING" is not your decision to make, and regardless of your signature/disclaimer, you are putting words in your employer's mouth....words which I feel are not true. 

I dont work for AT&T and I think your demads are a joke and I am sure (contrary to what CS says) AT&T could care less if you leave.  That said, I hope you get your upgrade because it looks like the new iPhone is going to be sweet and would hate for your kids to miss out on it.  If that is in fact who you will get the upgraded phone(s) for.

Message 30 of 50 (1,005 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.