Ask a question

Posted Aug 11, 2009
    4:39:35 PM
    AT&T "unlocked" phone versus OEM "unlocked" phone

I travel to rural Africa frequentlyOutside of the capital city, I can not roamAlso, AT&T did not have a roaming data agreementSo I had purchased an OEM unlocked phone, a HTC brand.

Unfortunately, I damaged the phone last week and had to purchase replacementLuckily, I had never purchased a phone from AT&T and had no contract, so I opted for a contract phoneIt is a Samsung Jack, quad band PocketPC.

My question, if I just through the loops with AT&T to get it unlocked, will it be truly unlockedWhen I am in Africa, I use the phone to access the internet for emailNormally, I had to go into the internet connections setup to put in the African mobile company's access point and etcIt worked like a champWill I be able to change my internet connections setup on an AT&T unlocked phone?

AT&T "unlocked" phone versus OEM "unlocked" phone

10 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (10)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 12, 2009 8:21:28 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by ipk316 on Aug 12, 2009 at 8:23:57 AM

AT&T will unlock it but it will only be unlocked for 30 days. Other choice you have is to pay fee to have it permanently unlocked at http://www.gsmphonesource.com/ or other places if you google it.

Message Edited by ipk316 on 08-12-2009 08:23:57 AM

Re: AT&T "unlocked" phone versus OEM "unlocked" phone

[ Edited ]
    2 of 11 (5,455 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 12, 2009 12:55:32 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Normally, I stay about 60 days.  Will it stay unlocked until I return to the AT&T network?  Or crippled like a trial "unlocked" for 30 days?

3 of 11 (5,438 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 12, 2009 2:23:50 PM
    (0)
    Guru

WMCollins wrote:
    Normally, I stay about 60 days.  Will it stay unlocked until I return to the AT&T network?  Or crippled like a trial "unlocked" for 30 days?
    Actually 30 time limit applies only to the phones that was subsidized but if you paid full price it will have permanent unlock.

4 of 11 (5,431 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 12, 2009 6:11:21 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

They couldn't unlock my phone at all. Customer service told me they would do so but it would take up to 2 weeks. Nothing about fees or 30 day periods. After about ten days Tech support left me a message that they couldn't figure out how to unlock it at all. This is a Samsung phone on the list of supported devices and has "Cingular" on the front of it.

So I wouldn't count on anything at all until they actually do unlock it. If they can.

5 of 11 (5,423 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 12, 2009 6:51:58 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    Just Google "Unlock Samsung Jack" and you will find tons of places that will unlock it for small fee.

6 of 11 (5,415 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 12, 2009 7:39:18 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

WMCollins wrote:

I travel to rural Africa frequentlyOutside of the capital city, I can not roamAlso, AT&T did not have a roaming data agreementSo I had purchased an OEM unlocked phone, a HTC brand.

Unfortunately, I damaged the phone last week and had to purchase replacementLuckily, I had never purchased a phone from AT&T and had no contract, so I opted for a contract phoneIt is a Samsung Jack, quad band PocketPC.

My question, if I just through the loops with AT&T to get it unlocked, will it be truly unlockedWhen I am in Africa, I use the phone to access the internet for emailNormally, I had to go into the internet connections setup to put in the African mobile company's access point and etcIt worked like a champWill I be able to change my internet connections setup on an AT&T unlocked phone?

The main difference between AT&T unlocked phone and a similar OEM unlocked phone is in the branding. AT&T routinely removes useful features available in OEM firmware and adds their own applications that may be nothing more than another way of making money.

If you manage to get the subsidy unlock code from AT&T your phone will stay unlocked — there's no 30-day limit on that. There are however various restrictions on who is eligible to have their phone unlocked.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 11 (5,410 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 13, 2009 3:52:24 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    I can't speak to the Jack, but my unlocked Bold has been unlocked for more than 6 months.  I just popped a Rogers Canada SIM in it before posting this message and no problem.  It logged right on and connected to the network. 

8 of 11 (5,361 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 9, 2009 12:31:45 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Ok... so I'm new to out of the country "unlocking" issue...

Here's my situation...

I have an AT&T Tilt 6.1 and I'll be traveling to Egypt and Jordan in the next month.  I've been searching the forum and this thread seems to ask a couple of questions that I've had, but I'm still kind of lost.

I have the international plan set up... but the prices for the two countries that I'll be in are $2.69 a minute... and I'm trying to find something less expensive.

If I get AT&T to "unlock" my Tilt... am I to understand that I can buy a SIM card online from one of these places that sell them for like 30 bucks with "over 150 countries" and that should take care of my problem???

Thanks for your help in advance...

9 of 11 (4,860 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 9, 2009 12:48:00 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

The AT&T International Plans are your last resort!

First, you need to get your phone unlocked by AT&T or a responsible third party.

Second, I would wait to purchase a SIM when you are in the country.  I would think you are going to pay a higher premium for the mega-SIM card and they may not work in all places.  Also, AT&T international service is only available in major cities even at $2.69 per minute. 

I can only speak of countries in Africa but prepaid SIM cards are available everywhere.  Also, they you can ask the local which service is better.  Just like the US, reception is spotty out of the main cities.

Your Tilt should work OK for voice.  But accessing a data network requires some setting changes for the chosen cell company.

10 of 11 (4,857 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 11, 2009 6:08:15 PM
    (0)
    Professor

WMCollins wrote:

I never heard of a phone being unlocked for 30,60, days,..etc... Once a phone is unlocked it is unlocked. When you call customer service and tell them that you are travelling abroad and want to use a local SIM card, in most cases they will email you the unlock code within 24 hours, but at times you might even get it over the phone.

11 of 11 (1,169 Views)