AT&T putting the screws to loyal customers again

Teacher

AT&T putting the screws to loyal customers again

I've had the MediaMax 200 ($19.99) plan on my Palm Centro for almost 3 years, and have been a customer for DECADES. I recently upgraded to a Captivate and was told I could keep that plan.

Until today!!

Now AT&T switches my plan to 2Gig data ($25) and Text ($5) with no prior notification and after talking to a CS rep and his supervisor, they refuse to do anything. 

And here is their fabricated excuse...

For 3 years the AT&T system didn't realize my Centro was a smart phone and shouldn't have been eligible for the MediaMax plan.

But now that I have the Captivate (for 3 mothns with no problem mind you) it now recognizes it as a smart phone and switch my plan.

All I can say is BS!

It switched it because my previous plan was unlimited and cheaper and they want to treat customers like dirt.

I am posting this complaint anywhere and everywhere I can.

Message 1 of 43

Re: AT&T putting the screws to loyal customers again

Many ppl are confused with all of the information that comes with the phones now, there is much to read and understand.  I would suggest that you go to a store and ask someone to explain details that you may not understand yourself, or overlook on your bill.  I understand your frustration.  I too, get so frustrated when I call and so many of the ppl I talk to seem to know as little as I do, and I am left thinking why did I just spend an hour on the phone with this person, who knew as little as me.  I could have read and re read the bill itself, the internet threads, and gone to the store and talked to a tech myself.  I get frustrated at some of the ppl that they have trying to help you, but being incompetent in doing so.  I know they are sincere, and kind on the phone, but the last person I talked to did not come up wih a solution to my problem at all.  I ended up with no answer by the end of that evening, but finally the next day I did go to an atandt store and got an experienced person to help me.  I wasn't upset at them so much for trying to help me they did, just that they didn't know the answers to some of the questions involving the plans themselves.  One person didn't know that it cost more for a smartphone for the media, that I talked to.  One person didn't know how to help me with the mobile share.  I had clicked on it when I purchased my phone and agreed to the plan, thinking that it was covered in the data plan.  Turns out it isn't, it is 35 cents a pic or a certain amount per month.  The person I had on the phone put me on hold for over an hour to try to help me to figure out how to opt out of this.  They lead me through all kinds of places on my phone to try to  have me delete the icon which came with the phone, actually believing that this would fix my issue. (the online locker icon. I wondered why they hired someone who knew so little, but yet I knew he was trying to help me.  I just get frustrated at the level of incompetency and the long tutorials that come with the phones today.  I remember when a phone was just a phone, however and I guess if we want to have all of the conveniences of tiny computers, we should be willing to read and watch tutorials and educate ourselves on these devices.  lol 

For what its worth, as frustrating as it can be, I am happy to be living in a time when we can text, send pics, and do all kinds of amazing things with telephones.  Thanks ATANDT for putting up with all of us crazies and for trying hard to satisfy your customers.  I will go back to reading my bill and these threads too and TRY to eduate myself!  LOL

Message 16 of 43
Employee

Fred I am sorry about the expernce you had with the plan.

I do know for certian devices to work on the network correctly, they need the correct data plan such as a Blackberry and iPhone.   

The same thing would go for the Smartphones in order for the features to work correctly.    

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 43

I have the same issue. I have been a customer of att/bellsouth/cingular for more than 20 years. My Fiance and I have had a major problem with ATT wireless. I went in to an ATT store to upgrade. I was told by ATT (via web, phone customer service and face to face ATT rep) my plan would not change (IE my plan and price would be grandfathered to the new contract). For whatever reason we found that this was not possible. Of course were very disappointed to not be able to upgrade with the same plan as promised. Upon looking into the matter my account was changed without my authorization. And I now pay $15 dollars more per month than when I came into the store. The "customer (dis) service" rep (on the phone) stonewalled me and refused to fix the problem. In fact they refused to admit that they made a mistake and said that the increase in charges was a courtesy (yes, a courtesy). WHAT? I looked at the ATT website and it seems that these actions are in violation of the consumer code mandated by the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA). See code 1 and especially 3 and 7. Further promising grandfathering and not doing so is bad customer service. But changing my service without my authorization is not customer service. I am now embarrassed to say that all this time I have been loyal to and advocated for ATT. It seems ATT customer service is a contradiction and a paint over poo. If you have painted poop it is still poo.   

Message 18 of 43
Teacher

I think everyone is missing the point as well... AT&T and all other cell phone companies are competing more today then ever before... the latest phones... the cheapest plan... We all understand the issue if it ain't broke don't fix it idea, but we choose different equipment and AT&T cannot keep offering the same plans that they have in the past with a competitive market... In fairness yes YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD CORRECT INFORMATION>! However you also have 30 days of buyer’s remorse to return the equipment and revert back to what you were using. I hate it and I know it will happen again in the future with the unlimited data for the smartphones today... I am keeping my unlimited data as long as I can... 2 3 years from now though I know AT&T will push me off it... I have to accept that as they are my providers but I can say that I do not base my opinions on my service off of price... it is THE SERVICE ITSELF! I will pay 25$ to have good service in my area... I will pay 25$ more to have a smartphone were I can look at the internet email and so much more anytime... COST OF CONVIENCE. COST OF RELIABILITY.... SO DON'T base your ideas of a company or a service plan based off of issue out of your control... Instead find what you need be an educated consumer and pick what is right for you... Every >>> I MEAN EVERY Service provider has the same issues... the question is... does your phone work at home./// or were you use it most.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 43

What is the point? Cost of convenience? Cost of reliability? Was it convenient for att to raise my rates without my authorization? I guess it is for att. Is att giving me reliability by upping my charges without authorization/notice, saying I can be grandfathered when I can’t and shrugging me off when I feel I’ve been done wrong. FYI, I have no new contract, so the buyer’s remorse clause does not apply. I basically went to the att store looked into upgrading under the grandfather clause. Att said they would not let me. So after further investigation someone changed my account and my charges went up $15 per month for the same plan that I came in with. No new contract! No new equipment! THE SERVICE I PICKED, WITH AN EDUCATION, WENT AWAY. I understand that we are all capable of making mistakes. The rep today clearly made one and it should be rectified. All I’m asking is for att to put it back the way it was yesterday. I trust you pay for services that you can afford. During these times I operate on a tight budget. So I feel that additional $180 per year. With all due respect, I FEEL IT. DO YOU FEEL ME? I know you’re an employee and it is difficult to bite the hand that feeds you, but you have to acknowledge that policies are not always perfect. And sometimes the little small time customers need to be understood. In the past few years I have paid att more than $5000 and this is how att treats me. And I feel I’ve been dissed. DO YOU FEEL ME? So your logic states because the other service providers do att should do too. I thought att was distinguished amongst the other. That’s why I have been a customer for so long.  DO YOU FEEL ME? DOES ATT FEEL ME? It seems not...   

Message 20 of 43
Master

Sorry, but if you're found to have an improper feature attached to a device, AT&T CAN and WILL change it for you.  MediaNet and/or MediaMax plans have NEVER been authorized on smartphones.  If you had one of those features on one of those devices, you have been getting away with it.  

I understand it's a tough time for a lot of people.  I was un- and under-employed for a stretch last year, and I had to contemplate giving up my smartphone & the accompanying data plan for a while.

chewbaca1111 wrote:

I have the same issue. I have been a customer of att/bellsouth/cingular for more than 20 years. My Fiance and I have had a major problem with ATT wireless. I went in to an ATT store to upgrade. I was told by ATT (via web, phone customer service and face to face ATT rep) my plan would not change (IE my plan and price would be grandfathered to the new contract). For whatever reason we found that this was not possible. Of course were very disappointed to not be able to upgrade with the same plan as promised. Upon looking into the matter my account was changed without my authorization. And I now pay $15 dollars more per month than when I came into the store. The "customer (dis) service" rep (on the phone) stonewalled me and refused to fix the problem. In fact they refused to admit that they made a mistake and said that the increase in charges was a courtesy (yes, a courtesy). WHAT? I looked at the ATT website and it seems that these actions are in violation of the consumer code mandated by the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA). See code 1 and especially 3 and 7. Further promising grandfathering and not doing so is bad customer service. But changing my service without my authorization is not customer service. I am now embarrassed to say that all this time I have been loyal to and advocated for ATT. It seems ATT customer service is a contradiction and a paint over poo. If you have painted poop it is still poo.   

Message 21 of 43
Teacher

Well your absolutely right… I would not stand for it either but AT&T will go back up to 3 months (usually) for an issue and adjust appropriately. I am not sure I understand what you mean buy not having a contract but the 30 day policy is for any phone purchase.  Grandfathering a plan means giving you the service that equal’s the phone that you had previous… whether or not you were promised something is different and does not change the fact that you cannot be the exception to the rule. I hate having to say it that way to because it really does sound heartless.  If AT&T does it for one they would have to do it for all… and they can only offer now what is available as far as plans for the current phone… however if you go to a regular device non-Smartphone and since this issue just occurred you should be able to get that plan back.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 43

I understand company policy yet. The plan was added to a smart phone by an att employee, truly. So it was authorized. I didn't get away with anything. The error was on att not me. So why should I pay more for the same plan or for an error that att made? The plan I had on original equipment should not change without my authorization. this violates the CTIA code.

Message 23 of 43

My contract has expired ~1 year ago that's why the 30 day rule does not apply. Also, I have smart phone and a plan that I am happy with and I have been happy with for 3 years. And I agree with you, grandfathering me in with an upgrade to new smart phone and retaining the same plan as previous. However, I realized, along with att, that this upgrade is not a posibility. So I declined to upgrade. Simple enough? But someone with att removed my old data plan and now, with my old phone, I am paying $15 more per month. Someone made a mistake and I'm payig the price.   

Message 24 of 43
Highlighted

Oh yeah, justArep. Thanks for the change in tone. But remember if something sounds heartless, it probably is heartless. I just think that att should concider changing some of their policies for the sake of keeping customers. It is a simple claim that att makes to concider us, so concider us. I just holding them to it...

Message 25 of 43
Tutor

UNSC_REACH wrote:
tbessie, unfortunately it doesn't matter. As I've noted twice above, all customers were notified last year on the first page if their bill.

What other notification does one need?

Let me add a little bit of perspective to my original posting:

1. I've been a Cingular/ATT customer since 2002
  2. I was paying $115 a month for a 1000 minute national plan with "unlimited" data/messaging (even tho' we all know "unlimited" isn't unlimited in actuality, so ATT should NOT denote it as such - that is deceptive (yes, read the fine print, but it shouldn't be called unlimited then).
  3. I get almost NO reception in my apartment (sitting at the window, even)
  4. I get almost no reception in my whole neighborhood (very very spotty), despite it being in the middle of San Francisco (pretty much the geographical center).  Plenty of dropped calls all over San Francisco, as well.
  5. I bought a Microcell from AT&T (no monthly Microcell plan, so I'm paying for minutes using my own network bandwidth)
And now they want to charge me another $15 because I'm using a "smartphone", despite the fact that my data usage is about the same as before they decided to charge me more.  And the plan limits data usage even further, despite costing me more.

NOW... would you call of the above a "fair" situation?

If you're the sort who thinks "business is business, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else", you'd likely say it was quite fair.   Personally, I don't think such attitudes apply when dealing with companies as large as AT&T.  In any case, I would, indeed, go to another carrier, except for the fact that - being the technogeek I am - I happen to think GSM is better (because the SIM, not the phone, is tied to the network).  So I've only got 2 choices in the US if that's what I want to do.

As for the "notice" issue mentioned above - it would be nice if ATT had called/texted/emailed BEFORE they changed it, rather than telling me after the fact, whatever message they may've sent me in the past regarding policies.

I can't say as I know many people who read their bills - as well, I am on the paperless option right now, so it may have appeared on an online bill, which I probably didn't read.

That said, yes, you can always argue that they told me in some fashion at some time, and that's all that matters.  Given the bill-reading habits of the public at large, I think it would be better public relations for them to tell customers "At the beginning of the next billing cycle, we shall start charging you X because of Y" instead of it being immediate.

Anyway, them's my opinions on the matter. :-/

- Tim

Message 26 of 43
Expert

tbessie wrote:

UNSC_REACH wrote:
tbessie, unfortunately it doesn't matter. As I've noted twice above, all customers were notified last year on the first page if their bill.

What other notification does one need?

Let me add a little bit of perspective to my original posting:

1. I've been a Cingular/ATT customer since 2002
  2. I was paying $115 a month for a 1000 minute national plan with "unlimited" data/messaging (even tho' we all know "unlimited" isn't unlimited in actuality, so ATT should NOT denote it as such - that is deceptive (yes, read the fine print, but it shouldn't be called unlimited then).
  3. I get almost NO reception in my apartment (sitting at the window, even)
  4. I get almost no reception in my whole neighborhood (very very spotty), despite it being in the middle of San Francisco (pretty much the geographical center).  Plenty of dropped calls all over San Francisco, as well.
  5. I bought a Microcell from AT&T (no monthly Microcell plan, so I'm paying for minutes using my own network bandwidth)
And now they want to charge me another $15 because I'm using a "smartphone", despite the fact that my data usage is about the same as before they decided to charge me more.  And the plan limits data usage even further, despite costing me more.

NOW... would you call of the above a "fair" situation?

If you're the sort who thinks "business is business, and if you don't like it, go somewhere else", you'd likely say it was quite fair.   Personally, I don't think such attitudes apply when dealing with companies as large as AT&T.  In any case, I would, indeed, go to another carrier, except for the fact that - being the technogeek I am - I happen to think GSM is better (because the SIM, not the phone, is tied to the network).  So I've only got 2 choices in the US if that's what I want to do.

As for the "notice" issue mentioned above - it would be nice if ATT had called/texted/emailed BEFORE they changed it, rather than telling me after the fact, whatever message they may've sent me in the past regarding policies.

I can't say as I know many people who read their bills - as well, I am on the paperless option right now, so it may have appeared on an online bill, which I probably didn't read.

That said, yes, you can always argue that they told me in some fashion at some time, and that's all that matters.  Given the bill-reading habits of the public at large, I think it would be better public relations for them to tell customers "At the beginning of the next billing cycle, we shall start charging you X because of Y" instead of it being immediate.

Anyway, them's my opinions on the matter. :-/

- Tim

yes would call it fair, you want smartphone then pay for the data plan, look at the QMD devices these will use the normal media.net data plan and most of them can do the majority of what you want.

Message 27 of 43
Professor

I will repost my answer here:

Whether or not its "fair" is not the question. The fact of the matter is all customers were notified of the change, and had ample time to get ready. Every single customer that had service during the policy change had a notification on their bill. This was on page 1 of the August - September 2009 bill. Page 1.

Data Plan Requirements for Smartphones

An eligible data plan is required for Smartphones (including iPhone, Blackberry & PDA devices) per AT&T's Wireless Rate Plan Terms & Wireless Data Service Terms & Conditions at www.att.com/planterms. If you begin using a Smartphone after 09/05/09 without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account & bill you the proper monthly fee. See www.att.com/smartphoneplans for more info.

Message 28 of 43
Tutor

Ah, but I think in cases of large corporations with vast resources who are raking in large profits by charging more than necessary for substandard service on a reasonably small playing field, the concept of "fair" does, indeed come into it, notice or not.

It seems unfair to me that price of plan should have anything to do with the device, and more to do with the data used.  I have an unlocked device for which I paid full price, not subsidized by AT&T.  Why do they care what kind it is, if my data usage has not changed?  I say it's an unfair pricing model, and I'd be happy to see government regulation enter the picture to force usage-based models (or "unlimited" plans that were actually unlimited).  It appears to be to be more about a money-grab from ATT than about reasonable pricing models.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

- Tim

Message 29 of 43
Professor

I don't disagree that its not fair, I think the company has no right to force people to have the data plan. But the fact is they do, and I really don't care because I wouldn't have a iPhone without a data plan anyway.

The fact is, people have been saying its unfair since last year, and the policy hasn't changed. Its just gotten stricter, and on top of that more companies are adopting it.

Message 30 of 43
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support