Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Jun 15, 2011
12:46:32 PM
View profile
AT&T official iphone unlock
Edited by ymeiner on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:49:47 PM

Now, when apple is selling unlocked iphones in its stores and att is working on eating T-mobile, can we expect AT&T to release us from our misery and unlock our phones?

 

I am a quite happy at&t castumer and also a proud israeli. I live in the US but traveling to my home land every now and than and want to use my current phone or my unused old iphone 3g with my israeli sim card. It is not that I have something against jailbreaking and unlocking via a hack solution but i just don't want to get there,  I need my phone to work and do not want to void my warrenty.

 

Prove us that you like your customers and understand that there are more uses for an unlocked phone than just  moving to another phone service. Loosen the grip please, there is no need for it anymore.

 

thanks,

 

Yaron.

Now, when apple is selling unlocked iphones in its stores and att is working on eating T-mobile, can we expect AT&T to release us from our misery and unlock our phones?

 

I am a quite happy at&t castumer and also a proud israeli. I live in the US but traveling to my home land every now and than and want to use my current phone or my unused old iphone 3g with my israeli sim card. It is not that I have something against jailbreaking and unlocking via a hack solution but i just don't want to get there,  I need my phone to work and do not want to void my warrenty.

 

Prove us that you like your customers and understand that there are more uses for an unlocked phone than just  moving to another phone service. Loosen the grip please, there is no need for it anymore.

 

thanks,

 

Yaron.

AT&T official iphone unlock

[ Edited ]
68,807 views
73 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(73)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 7:57:28 AM
0
(0)
Professor

Apple Acolyte wrote:

Now that Apple is unlocking even AT&T provisioned iPhones just like fully unlocked ones in the event the fully unlocked ones are out of stock, I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before Apple Stores have the ability to unlock all AT&T iPhones in good standing. Now AT&T can no longer claim that it's impossible to unlock an AT&T iPhone because Apple Store employees are doing it at will according to Apple's new policy if customers pay the unsubsidized price for the phone! 

 

Stop treating iPhone customers like second class citizens, AT&T. I will drop my contract-free service and never buy another AT&T iPhone (or any other AT&T wireless handset) again if you don't rectify this problem very soon.

 

Thank you kindly for your consideration. 


Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.


Apple Acolyte wrote:

Now that Apple is unlocking even AT&T provisioned iPhones just like fully unlocked ones in the event the fully unlocked ones are out of stock, I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before Apple Stores have the ability to unlock all AT&T iPhones in good standing. Now AT&T can no longer claim that it's impossible to unlock an AT&T iPhone because Apple Store employees are doing it at will according to Apple's new policy if customers pay the unsubsidized price for the phone! 

 

Stop treating iPhone customers like second class citizens, AT&T. I will drop my contract-free service and never buy another AT&T iPhone (or any other AT&T wireless handset) again if you don't rectify this problem very soon.

 

Thank you kindly for your consideration. 


Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

61 of 74 (3,713 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 8:32:44 AM
0
(0)
Master

satchev wrote:

Apple Acolyte wrote:

Now that Apple is unlocking even AT&T provisioned iPhones just like fully unlocked ones in the event the fully unlocked ones are out of stock, I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before Apple Stores have the ability to unlock all AT&T iPhones in good standing. Now AT&T can no longer claim that it's impossible to unlock an AT&T iPhone because Apple Store employees are doing it at will according to Apple's new policy if customers pay the unsubsidized price for the phone! 

 

Stop treating iPhone customers like second class citizens, AT&T. I will drop my contract-free service and never buy another AT&T iPhone (or any other AT&T wireless handset) again if you don't rectify this problem very soon.

 

Thank you kindly for your consideration. 


Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.



There was an internal memo leaked this weekend stating that Apple Store employees can sell any ATT phone at Full price (price equal to unlocked iPhone price) as Equipment only and it will go through their system and activation servers as unlocked.  This can be done when their stock of unlocked iPhones for the requested model is not available in your Apple store.  

 

So, if you want to buy a discounted iphone or an iPhone at the non-contrat price, you are not yet entitled to have your iPhone unlocked even after some time period has elapsed.  For ATT to unlock their iPhones after some time period, they need a way to get that information to Apple's activation servers.  There is still no indication that this is available let alone a change in ATT's policy regarding iPhone unlocking.  It may change here soon.  

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

satchev wrote:

Apple Acolyte wrote:

Now that Apple is unlocking even AT&T provisioned iPhones just like fully unlocked ones in the event the fully unlocked ones are out of stock, I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before Apple Stores have the ability to unlock all AT&T iPhones in good standing. Now AT&T can no longer claim that it's impossible to unlock an AT&T iPhone because Apple Store employees are doing it at will according to Apple's new policy if customers pay the unsubsidized price for the phone! 

 

Stop treating iPhone customers like second class citizens, AT&T. I will drop my contract-free service and never buy another AT&T iPhone (or any other AT&T wireless handset) again if you don't rectify this problem very soon.

 

Thank you kindly for your consideration. 


Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.



There was an internal memo leaked this weekend stating that Apple Store employees can sell any ATT phone at Full price (price equal to unlocked iPhone price) as Equipment only and it will go through their system and activation servers as unlocked.  This can be done when their stock of unlocked iPhones for the requested model is not available in your Apple store.  

 

So, if you want to buy a discounted iphone or an iPhone at the non-contrat price, you are not yet entitled to have your iPhone unlocked even after some time period has elapsed.  For ATT to unlock their iPhones after some time period, they need a way to get that information to Apple's activation servers.  There is still no indication that this is available let alone a change in ATT's policy regarding iPhone unlocking.  It may change here soon.  

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

62 of 74 (3,704 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 8:58:47 AM
0
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

satchev wrote:

Apple Acolyte wrote:

Now that Apple is unlocking even AT&T provisioned iPhones just like fully unlocked ones in the event the fully unlocked ones are out of stock, I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before Apple Stores have the ability to unlock all AT&T iPhones in good standing. Now AT&T can no longer claim that it's impossible to unlock an AT&T iPhone because Apple Store employees are doing it at will according to Apple's new policy if customers pay the unsubsidized price for the phone! 

 

Stop treating iPhone customers like second class citizens, AT&T. I will drop my contract-free service and never buy another AT&T iPhone (or any other AT&T wireless handset) again if you don't rectify this problem very soon.

 

Thank you kindly for your consideration. 


Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.



There was an internal memo leaked this weekend stating that Apple Store employees can sell any ATT phone at Full price (price equal to unlocked iPhone price) as Equipment only and it will go through their system and activation servers as unlocked.  This can be done when their stock of unlocked iPhones for the requested model is not available in your Apple store.  

 

So, if you want to buy a discounted iphone or an iPhone at the non-contrat price, you are not yet entitled to have your iPhone unlocked even after some time period has elapsed.  For ATT to unlock their iPhones after some time period, they need a way to get that information to Apple's activation servers.  There is still no indication that this is available let alone a change in ATT's policy regarding iPhone unlocking.  It may change here soon.  



Assuming that mean any "ATT Iphone" - which any GSM Iphone is ATT, since they are still exclusive. Have never seen a Apple Store that carried anything but the Iphone


youngjm wrote:

satchev wrote:

Apple Acolyte wrote:

Now that Apple is unlocking even AT&T provisioned iPhones just like fully unlocked ones in the event the fully unlocked ones are out of stock, I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before Apple Stores have the ability to unlock all AT&T iPhones in good standing. Now AT&T can no longer claim that it's impossible to unlock an AT&T iPhone because Apple Store employees are doing it at will according to Apple's new policy if customers pay the unsubsidized price for the phone! 

 

Stop treating iPhone customers like second class citizens, AT&T. I will drop my contract-free service and never buy another AT&T iPhone (or any other AT&T wireless handset) again if you don't rectify this problem very soon.

 

Thank you kindly for your consideration. 


Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.



There was an internal memo leaked this weekend stating that Apple Store employees can sell any ATT phone at Full price (price equal to unlocked iPhone price) as Equipment only and it will go through their system and activation servers as unlocked.  This can be done when their stock of unlocked iPhones for the requested model is not available in your Apple store.  

 

So, if you want to buy a discounted iphone or an iPhone at the non-contrat price, you are not yet entitled to have your iPhone unlocked even after some time period has elapsed.  For ATT to unlock their iPhones after some time period, they need a way to get that information to Apple's activation servers.  There is still no indication that this is available let alone a change in ATT's policy regarding iPhone unlocking.  It may change here soon.  



Assuming that mean any "ATT Iphone" - which any GSM Iphone is ATT, since they are still exclusive. Have never seen a Apple Store that carried anything but the Iphone

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

63 of 74 (3,698 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 12:49:54 PM
0
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

satchev wrote:

Apple Acolyte wrote:

Now that Apple is unlocking even AT&T provisioned iPhones just like fully unlocked ones in the event the fully unlocked ones are out of stock, I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before Apple Stores have the ability to unlock all AT&T iPhones in good standing. Now AT&T can no longer claim that it's impossible to unlock an AT&T iPhone because Apple Store employees are doing it at will according to Apple's new policy if customers pay the unsubsidized price for the phone! 

 

Stop treating iPhone customers like second class citizens, AT&T. I will drop my contract-free service and never buy another AT&T iPhone (or any other AT&T wireless handset) again if you don't rectify this problem very soon.

 

Thank you kindly for your consideration. 


Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.



There was an internal memo leaked this weekend stating that Apple Store employees can sell any ATT phone at Full price (price equal to unlocked iPhone price) as Equipment only and it will go through their system and activation servers as unlocked.  This can be done when their stock of unlocked iPhones for the requested model is not available in your Apple store.  

 

So, if you want to buy a discounted iphone or an iPhone at the non-contrat price, you are not yet entitled to have your iPhone unlocked even after some time period has elapsed.  For ATT to unlock their iPhones after some time period, they need a way to get that information to Apple's activation servers.  There is still no indication that this is available let alone a change in ATT's policy regarding iPhone unlocking.  It may change here soon.  



Assuming that mean any "ATT Iphone" - which any GSM Iphone is ATT, since they are still exclusive. Have never seen a Apple Store that carried anything but the Iphone


Not sure what you are trying to clarify?????  But I am going to guess at your remarks and suggest that what the memo is referring to are the iphones sold with the the statement on the box that it is for the ATT network only.   As for any model, that would be the 16GB and 32GB models.

 

 

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

satchev wrote:

Apple Acolyte wrote:

Now that Apple is unlocking even AT&T provisioned iPhones just like fully unlocked ones in the event the fully unlocked ones are out of stock, I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before Apple Stores have the ability to unlock all AT&T iPhones in good standing. Now AT&T can no longer claim that it's impossible to unlock an AT&T iPhone because Apple Store employees are doing it at will according to Apple's new policy if customers pay the unsubsidized price for the phone! 

 

Stop treating iPhone customers like second class citizens, AT&T. I will drop my contract-free service and never buy another AT&T iPhone (or any other AT&T wireless handset) again if you don't rectify this problem very soon.

 

Thank you kindly for your consideration. 


Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.



There was an internal memo leaked this weekend stating that Apple Store employees can sell any ATT phone at Full price (price equal to unlocked iPhone price) as Equipment only and it will go through their system and activation servers as unlocked.  This can be done when their stock of unlocked iPhones for the requested model is not available in your Apple store.  

 

So, if you want to buy a discounted iphone or an iPhone at the non-contrat price, you are not yet entitled to have your iPhone unlocked even after some time period has elapsed.  For ATT to unlock their iPhones after some time period, they need a way to get that information to Apple's activation servers.  There is still no indication that this is available let alone a change in ATT's policy regarding iPhone unlocking.  It may change here soon.  



Assuming that mean any "ATT Iphone" - which any GSM Iphone is ATT, since they are still exclusive. Have never seen a Apple Store that carried anything but the Iphone


Not sure what you are trying to clarify?????  But I am going to guess at your remarks and suggest that what the memo is referring to are the iphones sold with the the statement on the box that it is for the ATT network only.   As for any model, that would be the 16GB and 32GB models.

 

 

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

64 of 74 (3,647 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 10:00:53 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

Things can change on a dime as we all know, but I can tell you this. I spoke to the office of the president of at&t wireless today and I can tell you that at&t has no intention of unlocking any iphones. Now, my particular situation overseas, which I have never explained on this forum, is a case where my phone being able to roam freely on a wireless network is more a matter of safety than convenience. I explained it to them in detail and guess what? Didn't make a difference. 

 

In the end, at&t would rather lose you as a customer than unlock your iphone. Are they cutting off their nose to spite their face? Yes. Does it make any sense? No. History always repeats itself, and bad business is bad business. Company's pay for their bad business now, or they pay for it later, but they ALWAYS pay the price at some point in time.

 

I have had several people working on a way to go around at&t to get factory unlocks done, and I keep hearing that they are close. I am hoping that this method will work and that I can help others FOR FREE in the near future with their factory unlocking needs. Besides myself, there are others out there researching this same technology, and I am sure they are pretty close as well, so hang in there people.

 

As for my trip this year, I am not sure I will get this unlock in time, so I ended up buying an unlocked iPhone today from Apple. In doing so, I knew I could not whole heartedly stick an at&t sim in it. I can't tell you how good it felt to port my number out of at&t. It was like the day I traded in my daily driver for a hybrid. I just knew I was doing good. 

 

Sod off at&t. 

 

 

 

Things can change on a dime as we all know, but I can tell you this. I spoke to the office of the president of at&t wireless today and I can tell you that at&t has no intention of unlocking any iphones. Now, my particular situation overseas, which I have never explained on this forum, is a case where my phone being able to roam freely on a wireless network is more a matter of safety than convenience. I explained it to them in detail and guess what? Didn't make a difference. 

 

In the end, at&t would rather lose you as a customer than unlock your iphone. Are they cutting off their nose to spite their face? Yes. Does it make any sense? No. History always repeats itself, and bad business is bad business. Company's pay for their bad business now, or they pay for it later, but they ALWAYS pay the price at some point in time.

 

I have had several people working on a way to go around at&t to get factory unlocks done, and I keep hearing that they are close. I am hoping that this method will work and that I can help others FOR FREE in the near future with their factory unlocking needs. Besides myself, there are others out there researching this same technology, and I am sure they are pretty close as well, so hang in there people.

 

As for my trip this year, I am not sure I will get this unlock in time, so I ended up buying an unlocked iPhone today from Apple. In doing so, I knew I could not whole heartedly stick an at&t sim in it. I can't tell you how good it felt to port my number out of at&t. It was like the day I traded in my daily driver for a hybrid. I just knew I was doing good. 

 

Sod off at&t. 

 

 

 

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

65 of 74 (3,598 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 12:52:30 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Apple Acolyte on Jun 28, 2011 at 1:01:22 AM

satchev wrote:

Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.


 Haha, I know this is only my second post so you don't know me well, but I don't spread misinformation. If you want to check out my profile for one of my main forum accounts online, you can see it here. As for proof of the story I was referencing, reports are all over the web - like here for example.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that the only thing preventing AT&T from unlocking iPhones according to the same policy they have for every other phone manufacturer is its own choice, its own anti-customer decision. The GSM iPhone is no longer exclusive even in the US, and It's creating a lot of bad publicity and bad will that will cost AT&T much more than it woul cost the company to do the right thing.

 

If the report is correct that AT&T Wireless's top corporate management simply refuses to do the right thing by the customer in this area, I think a change in management needs to occur. Such shortsighted policies are indicative not merely of isolated poor decision making but of a much more troubling general trend of incompetenece.

 

AT&T: DO THE RIGHT THING BY YOUR IPHONE CUSTOMERS!


satchev wrote:

Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.


 Haha, I know this is only my second post so you don't know me well, but I don't spread misinformation. If you want to check out my profile for one of my main forum accounts online, you can see it here. As for proof of the story I was referencing, reports are all over the web - like here for example.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that the only thing preventing AT&T from unlocking iPhones according to the same policy they have for every other phone manufacturer is its own choice, its own anti-customer decision. The GSM iPhone is no longer exclusive even in the US, and It's creating a lot of bad publicity and bad will that will cost AT&T much more than it woul cost the company to do the right thing.

 

If the report is correct that AT&T Wireless's top corporate management simply refuses to do the right thing by the customer in this area, I think a change in management needs to occur. Such shortsighted policies are indicative not merely of isolated poor decision making but of a much more troubling general trend of incompetenece.

 

AT&T: DO THE RIGHT THING BY YOUR IPHONE CUSTOMERS!

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

[ Edited ]
66 of 74 (3,578 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 3:52:23 AM
0
(0)
Expert

Apple Acolyte wrote:

satchev wrote:

Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.


 Haha, I know this is only my second post so you don't know me well, but I don't spread misinformation. If you want to check out my profile for one of my main forum accounts online, you can see it here. As for proof of the story I was referencing, reports are all over the web - like here for example.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that the only thing preventing AT&T from unlocking iPhones according to the same policy they have for every other phone manufacturer is its own choice, its own anti-customer decision. The GSM iPhone is no longer exclusive even in the US, and It's creating a lot of bad publicity and bad will that will cost AT&T much more than it woul cost the company to do the right thing.

 

If the report is correct that AT&T Wireless's top corporate management simply refuses to do the right thing by the customer in this area, I think a change in management needs to occur. Such shortsighted policies are indicative not merely of isolated poor decision making but of a much more troubling general trend of incompetenece.

 

AT&T: DO THE RIGHT THING BY YOUR IPHONE CUSTOMERS!



Still says NOTHING about unlocking Iphones that have already been purchased prior to the Apple announcement.

 

"An Apple Store employee has to ring the phone at the checkout as "Device Only" and the system will unlock the phone. The customers will have to shell out $649 for 16GB and $749 for 32GB version."

 

So it still stands, pay full price at a apple store get a unlocked iphone, take you previously purchase locked iphone to a apple store, leave with the same phone still locked to ATT.The GSM phone is STILL exclusive in the US, the only other IPhone in the US is a CDMA - which is also locked to the provider and is not unlocked


Apple Acolyte wrote:

satchev wrote:

Interesting.... do you have any proof of this?  Otherwise you're just spreading mis-information.


 Haha, I know this is only my second post so you don't know me well, but I don't spread misinformation. If you want to check out my profile for one of my main forum accounts online, you can see it here. As for proof of the story I was referencing, reports are all over the web - like here for example.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that the only thing preventing AT&T from unlocking iPhones according to the same policy they have for every other phone manufacturer is its own choice, its own anti-customer decision. The GSM iPhone is no longer exclusive even in the US, and It's creating a lot of bad publicity and bad will that will cost AT&T much more than it woul cost the company to do the right thing.

 

If the report is correct that AT&T Wireless's top corporate management simply refuses to do the right thing by the customer in this area, I think a change in management needs to occur. Such shortsighted policies are indicative not merely of isolated poor decision making but of a much more troubling general trend of incompetenece.

 

AT&T: DO THE RIGHT THING BY YOUR IPHONE CUSTOMERS!



Still says NOTHING about unlocking Iphones that have already been purchased prior to the Apple announcement.

 

"An Apple Store employee has to ring the phone at the checkout as "Device Only" and the system will unlock the phone. The customers will have to shell out $649 for 16GB and $749 for 32GB version."

 

So it still stands, pay full price at a apple store get a unlocked iphone, take you previously purchase locked iphone to a apple store, leave with the same phone still locked to ATT.The GSM phone is STILL exclusive in the US, the only other IPhone in the US is a CDMA - which is also locked to the provider and is not unlocked

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

67 of 74 (3,566 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 4:21:34 PM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by dwill05 on Jun 28, 2011 at 4:23:45 PM

Glad to hear that people who already own iPhones are buying new unlocked ones from Apple. Buying the same product twice, that's the kind of business model that makes the shareholders happy. For those who think they are sticking it to AT&T by buying an unlocked phone, just remember if you wanted AT&T to unlock it so you could take it overseas, you weren't going to be paying AT&T anyway, so there's no great loss there. And if you do still plan to use it when in the US, you'll probably end up getting service from AT&T unless you really like T-mobile's EDGE speeds.

Seems like the arrival of unlocked phones has been a good deal for Apple (sell more phones, some even twice), no real change for AT&T, and a win/lose for consumers (finally get your unlocked phone, but you'll be paying for it, sometimes twice).

 

If people have a need for, and/or want to buy, unlocked phones, that's fine.  But, you really aren't sticking to AT&T.  You're just putting more money in Apple's pocket.  Something to consider.

Glad to hear that people who already own iPhones are buying new unlocked ones from Apple. Buying the same product twice, that's the kind of business model that makes the shareholders happy. For those who think they are sticking it to AT&T by buying an unlocked phone, just remember if you wanted AT&T to unlock it so you could take it overseas, you weren't going to be paying AT&T anyway, so there's no great loss there. And if you do still plan to use it when in the US, you'll probably end up getting service from AT&T unless you really like T-mobile's EDGE speeds.

Seems like the arrival of unlocked phones has been a good deal for Apple (sell more phones, some even twice), no real change for AT&T, and a win/lose for consumers (finally get your unlocked phone, but you'll be paying for it, sometimes twice).

 

If people have a need for, and/or want to buy, unlocked phones, that's fine.  But, you really aren't sticking to AT&T.  You're just putting more money in Apple's pocket.  Something to consider.

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

[ Edited ]
68 of 74 (3,510 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 7:33:16 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

dwill05 wrote:

Glad to hear that people who already own iPhones are buying new unlocked ones from Apple. Buying the same product twice, that's the kind of business model that makes the shareholders happy. For those who think they are sticking it to AT&T by buying an unlocked phone, just remember if you wanted AT&T to unlock it so you could take it overseas, you weren't going to be paying AT&T anyway, so there's no great loss there. And if you do still plan to use it when in the US, you'll probably end up getting service from AT&T unless you really like T-mobiles EDGE speeds.

Seems like the arrival of unlocked phones has been a good deal for Apple (sell more phones, some even twice), no real change for AT&T, and a win/lose for consumers (finally get your unlocked phone, but you'll be paying for it, sometimes twice).

 

If people have a need for, and/or want to buy, unlocked phones, that's fine.  But, you really aren't sticking to AT&T.  You're just putting more money in Apple's pocket.  Something to consider.


Wrong. You actually do pay at&t while you are gone, albeit at a lesser rate if you suspend service. You also take away their ability to rake you over the coals with their international rates they try to force on you by keeping the phone locked. People like my wife can get away with having a locked phone because she will hardly use it. Her phone will be off most of the time, so the international rates are no big deal. People like me, however, will save thousands vs using at&t, and we can keep all our normal apps and systems running without having to buy a cheap throw away. 

 

I'll say it again. Edge is not bad when I use it on my ipad from time to time, and I use more internet than most folks out there. Not as good as 3g, but still not bad unless you are streaming videos. For people that want to check emails and surf the web, it works fine and you can get unlimited voice, calling, and data from t-mobile at half the price of at&t who limits new data plans. So there is always a trade off. If you want/need to always be connected though, and don't want to pay hundreds of dollars a month in overages, and you don't have a grandfathered unlimited plan, Then t-mobile is for you.

 

If you are really crafty, you can find other options out there. 

 

In the future, there will be even more. Apple is even discussing other options in the future for iPhone users. In speaking with apple reps today, they were very aware of the chokepoint I have mentioned with regards to the chrome book program, and how it has really hurt that endeavor. Apple is too smart to let that happen to them, not to mention they know when they see an opportunity to provide a service and make an honest buck on it. 

 

As far as putting more money in Apple's pocket, I say gladly. Yeah, they sold their soul to the devil to get the iphone out there, but now that its clear who wears the pants in that relationship, not to mention their contract expiring, apple was quick to offer what they could to help people out that were in my situation. So they deserve the money in my book. Such is consumerism. Happily spend money with companies you like, and limit your involvement with those you do not. 


dwill05 wrote:

Glad to hear that people who already own iPhones are buying new unlocked ones from Apple. Buying the same product twice, that's the kind of business model that makes the shareholders happy. For those who think they are sticking it to AT&T by buying an unlocked phone, just remember if you wanted AT&T to unlock it so you could take it overseas, you weren't going to be paying AT&T anyway, so there's no great loss there. And if you do still plan to use it when in the US, you'll probably end up getting service from AT&T unless you really like T-mobiles EDGE speeds.

Seems like the arrival of unlocked phones has been a good deal for Apple (sell more phones, some even twice), no real change for AT&T, and a win/lose for consumers (finally get your unlocked phone, but you'll be paying for it, sometimes twice).

 

If people have a need for, and/or want to buy, unlocked phones, that's fine.  But, you really aren't sticking to AT&T.  You're just putting more money in Apple's pocket.  Something to consider.


Wrong. You actually do pay at&t while you are gone, albeit at a lesser rate if you suspend service. You also take away their ability to rake you over the coals with their international rates they try to force on you by keeping the phone locked. People like my wife can get away with having a locked phone because she will hardly use it. Her phone will be off most of the time, so the international rates are no big deal. People like me, however, will save thousands vs using at&t, and we can keep all our normal apps and systems running without having to buy a cheap throw away. 

 

I'll say it again. Edge is not bad when I use it on my ipad from time to time, and I use more internet than most folks out there. Not as good as 3g, but still not bad unless you are streaming videos. For people that want to check emails and surf the web, it works fine and you can get unlimited voice, calling, and data from t-mobile at half the price of at&t who limits new data plans. So there is always a trade off. If you want/need to always be connected though, and don't want to pay hundreds of dollars a month in overages, and you don't have a grandfathered unlimited plan, Then t-mobile is for you.

 

If you are really crafty, you can find other options out there. 

 

In the future, there will be even more. Apple is even discussing other options in the future for iPhone users. In speaking with apple reps today, they were very aware of the chokepoint I have mentioned with regards to the chrome book program, and how it has really hurt that endeavor. Apple is too smart to let that happen to them, not to mention they know when they see an opportunity to provide a service and make an honest buck on it. 

 

As far as putting more money in Apple's pocket, I say gladly. Yeah, they sold their soul to the devil to get the iphone out there, but now that its clear who wears the pants in that relationship, not to mention their contract expiring, apple was quick to offer what they could to help people out that were in my situation. So they deserve the money in my book. Such is consumerism. Happily spend money with companies you like, and limit your involvement with those you do not. 

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

69 of 74 (3,497 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2011 6:39:19 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pamelaz on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:20:44 AM

wingrider01 wrote:


Still says NOTHING about unlocking Iphones that have already been purchased prior to the Apple announcement.

 

So it still stands, pay full price at a apple store get a unlocked iphone, take you previously purchase locked iphone to a apple store, leave with the same phone still locked to ATT.The GSM phone is STILL exclusive in the US, the only other IPhone in the US is a CDMA - which is also locked to the provider and is not unlocked


{Please keep it courteous} - I never made any claim nor did I even insinuate that the recent news of Apple unlocking AT&T provisioned iPhone 4s means that Apple Stores are also now unlocking subsidized AT&T iPhones purchased now or in the past. I was merely pointing out that AT&T branded iPhones can now be unlocked by Apple Stores if bought at the unsubsidized price, which shows to be false the AT&T standard line that AT&T provisioned iPhones can never be unlocked. AT&T apologists in this thread have made that claim in this thread and elsewhere, and we now know it's a falsehood.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that, as opposed to what AT&T has claimed for years, AT&T provisioned iPhones can indeed be unlocked. We also know for a fact that AT&T treats iPhone owners as second class citizens by refusing to extend the very same policy that it extends [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. to owners of all other handsets - that they get unlocked after a period of good standing payment for AT&T monlthy service. Furthermore, we know that most if not alliPhone carriers internationally will unlock iPhones on their networks, so those who claim it would be too difficult for AT&T to unlock iPhones on its network is also a lie. AT&T is punitively discriminating against iPhone owners because it's apparently afraid that some or perhaps most iPhone owners won't remain in a forced relationship with AT&T if the company allows iPhones to be unlocked based on the same unlocking policy that applies to every other brand of phone.

 

AT&T gives capitalism a bad name by behaving this way - punishing customers who want to have the freedom to use the iPhones they own, to be given the same rights as owners of all other cell phone brands sold by AT&T. And if you think about it, it's really dumb corporate policy in the extreme. If AT&T simply were to treat iPhone owners just like the owners of every other brand of phone locked to their network, then I can guarnatee you only a fraction of people would know and care about this issue. But because of AT&T's intransigence and anti-consumer practices, far more people are aware of the company's misdeeds in this area. In politics it's often said the cover-up is worse than the crime. I think a similar line of thought applies here. AT&T is absuing its iPhone customers, treating them very unfairly, and has been trying to cover up that abuse. Now the truth has come to light, but AT& T just doesn't want to budge and do the right thing. The only thing I can say to the company's credit is that it hasn't yet censored threads like this one and comments like mine, which reveal truths AT&T doesn't want the public to know. Maybe that shows that there's at least someone in the corporate chain who understand how wrong it is for AT&T to continue violating its iPhone customers in this fashion.

 

AT&T STOP ABUSING YOUR IPHONE CUSTOMERS. DO THE RIGHT THING AND EXTEND YOUR GENERAL UNLOCK POLICY TO THE IPHONE TO PUT THIS ISSUE TO REST!


wingrider01 wrote:


Still says NOTHING about unlocking Iphones that have already been purchased prior to the Apple announcement.

 

So it still stands, pay full price at a apple store get a unlocked iphone, take you previously purchase locked iphone to a apple store, leave with the same phone still locked to ATT.The GSM phone is STILL exclusive in the US, the only other IPhone in the US is a CDMA - which is also locked to the provider and is not unlocked


{Please keep it courteous} - I never made any claim nor did I even insinuate that the recent news of Apple unlocking AT&T provisioned iPhone 4s means that Apple Stores are also now unlocking subsidized AT&T iPhones purchased now or in the past. I was merely pointing out that AT&T branded iPhones can now be unlocked by Apple Stores if bought at the unsubsidized price, which shows to be false the AT&T standard line that AT&T provisioned iPhones can never be unlocked. AT&T apologists in this thread have made that claim in this thread and elsewhere, and we now know it's a falsehood.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that, as opposed to what AT&T has claimed for years, AT&T provisioned iPhones can indeed be unlocked. We also know for a fact that AT&T treats iPhone owners as second class citizens by refusing to extend the very same policy that it extends [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. to owners of all other handsets - that they get unlocked after a period of good standing payment for AT&T monlthy service. Furthermore, we know that most if not alliPhone carriers internationally will unlock iPhones on their networks, so those who claim it would be too difficult for AT&T to unlock iPhones on its network is also a lie. AT&T is punitively discriminating against iPhone owners because it's apparently afraid that some or perhaps most iPhone owners won't remain in a forced relationship with AT&T if the company allows iPhones to be unlocked based on the same unlocking policy that applies to every other brand of phone.

 

AT&T gives capitalism a bad name by behaving this way - punishing customers who want to have the freedom to use the iPhones they own, to be given the same rights as owners of all other cell phone brands sold by AT&T. And if you think about it, it's really dumb corporate policy in the extreme. If AT&T simply were to treat iPhone owners just like the owners of every other brand of phone locked to their network, then I can guarnatee you only a fraction of people would know and care about this issue. But because of AT&T's intransigence and anti-consumer practices, far more people are aware of the company's misdeeds in this area. In politics it's often said the cover-up is worse than the crime. I think a similar line of thought applies here. AT&T is absuing its iPhone customers, treating them very unfairly, and has been trying to cover up that abuse. Now the truth has come to light, but AT& T just doesn't want to budge and do the right thing. The only thing I can say to the company's credit is that it hasn't yet censored threads like this one and comments like mine, which reveal truths AT&T doesn't want the public to know. Maybe that shows that there's at least someone in the corporate chain who understand how wrong it is for AT&T to continue violating its iPhone customers in this fashion.

 

AT&T STOP ABUSING YOUR IPHONE CUSTOMERS. DO THE RIGHT THING AND EXTEND YOUR GENERAL UNLOCK POLICY TO THE IPHONE TO PUT THIS ISSUE TO REST!

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

[ Edited ]
70 of 74 (3,310 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2011 7:02:48 AM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by scoobydoo on Jul 3, 2011 at 8:16:08 AM

Apple Acolyte wrote:
 I was merely pointing out that AT&T branded iPhones can now be unlocked by Apple Stores if bought at the unsubsidized price, which shows to be false the AT&T standard line that AT&T iPhones can never be unlocked. AT&T apologists in this thread have made that claim too, and we now know it's a falsehood.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that, as opposed to what AT&T has claimed for years, AT&T provisioned iPhones can indeed be unlocked. 


Okay, are you really [please be courteous]

No one (that I have seen) has ever claimed it was impossible to unlock AT&T iPhones.  The statement has always been that AT&T will not unlock iPhones for any reason.

 

Now this is going to get technical... I hope you can keep up.

 

It has been known since the original iPhone that Apple could unlock iPhones, that is how ALL iPhones get unlocked.

It has been known since the orignail iPhone that some carriers offer unlocking, they do this by informing Apple of the IMEI number to unlock.

Logic would dicatate that Apple has had the ability to offer unlocked iPhones in the US since the original iPhone.

Logic also would dictate that Apple (who manages the unlock database) can unlock iPhones from any carrier anywhere in the world, if they choose to do so.

 

NONE of this indicates that AT&T has the ability to unlock iPhones.

I do not know the specifics of the details regarding unlocking iPhones.  However, I am intelligent enough to know that it is not done via email, there is some type of interface between the carrier and Apple (whether that is a dedicated system or a secure website who knows) that allows the carrier to authorize unlocking.  Nothing about the recent revelation of Apple unlocking AT&T locked new iPhones indicates that AT&T has that ability.

 

Sorry, but at some point Apple_Acolyte you need open your eyes and check out the reality that the rest of us live in.


Apple Acolyte wrote:
 I was merely pointing out that AT&T branded iPhones can now be unlocked by Apple Stores if bought at the unsubsidized price, which shows to be false the AT&T standard line that AT&T iPhones can never be unlocked. AT&T apologists in this thread have made that claim too, and we now know it's a falsehood.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that, as opposed to what AT&T has claimed for years, AT&T provisioned iPhones can indeed be unlocked. 


Okay, are you really [please be courteous]

No one (that I have seen) has ever claimed it was impossible to unlock AT&T iPhones.  The statement has always been that AT&T will not unlock iPhones for any reason.

 

Now this is going to get technical... I hope you can keep up.

 

It has been known since the original iPhone that Apple could unlock iPhones, that is how ALL iPhones get unlocked.

It has been known since the orignail iPhone that some carriers offer unlocking, they do this by informing Apple of the IMEI number to unlock.

Logic would dicatate that Apple has had the ability to offer unlocked iPhones in the US since the original iPhone.

Logic also would dictate that Apple (who manages the unlock database) can unlock iPhones from any carrier anywhere in the world, if they choose to do so.

 

NONE of this indicates that AT&T has the ability to unlock iPhones.

I do not know the specifics of the details regarding unlocking iPhones.  However, I am intelligent enough to know that it is not done via email, there is some type of interface between the carrier and Apple (whether that is a dedicated system or a secure website who knows) that allows the carrier to authorize unlocking.  Nothing about the recent revelation of Apple unlocking AT&T locked new iPhones indicates that AT&T has that ability.

 

Sorry, but at some point Apple_Acolyte you need open your eyes and check out the reality that the rest of us live in.

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

[ Edited ]
71 of 74 (11,113 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2011 7:13:02 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

satchev wrote:

Apple Acolyte wrote:
 I was merely pointing out that AT&T branded iPhones can now be unlocked by Apple Stores if bought at the unsubsidized price, which shows to be false the AT&T standard line that AT&T iPhones can never be unlocked. AT&T apologists in this thread have made that claim too, and we now know it's a falsehood.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that, as opposed to what AT&T has claimed for years, AT&T provisioned iPhones can indeed be unlocked. 


 

NONE of this indicates that AT&T has the ability to unlock iPhones.

I do not know the specifics of the details regarding unlocking iPhones.  However, I am intelligent enough to know that it is not done via email, there is some type of interface between the carrier and Apple (whether that is a dedicated system or a secure website who knows) that allows the carrier to authorize unlocking.  Nothing about the recent revelation of Apple unlocking AT&T locked new iPhones indicates that AT&T has that ability.



Just for the record,  AT&T certainly does have the ability to notify Apple to unlock a particular device.

 

AT&T has chosen to not participate, and that is certainly their prerogative.

 

Logic would dictate that you should not make up answers if you don't have the facts.

 


satchev wrote:

Apple Acolyte wrote:
 I was merely pointing out that AT&T branded iPhones can now be unlocked by Apple Stores if bought at the unsubsidized price, which shows to be false the AT&T standard line that AT&T iPhones can never be unlocked. AT&T apologists in this thread have made that claim too, and we now know it's a falsehood.

 

We now know for an absolute fact that, as opposed to what AT&T has claimed for years, AT&T provisioned iPhones can indeed be unlocked. 


 

NONE of this indicates that AT&T has the ability to unlock iPhones.

I do not know the specifics of the details regarding unlocking iPhones.  However, I am intelligent enough to know that it is not done via email, there is some type of interface between the carrier and Apple (whether that is a dedicated system or a secure website who knows) that allows the carrier to authorize unlocking.  Nothing about the recent revelation of Apple unlocking AT&T locked new iPhones indicates that AT&T has that ability.



Just for the record,  AT&T certainly does have the ability to notify Apple to unlock a particular device.

 

AT&T has chosen to not participate, and that is certainly their prerogative.

 

Logic would dictate that you should not make up answers if you don't have the facts.

 

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

72 of 74 (11,106 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2011 7:49:42 AM
0
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pamelaz on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:26:06 AM

satchev wrote:

Okay, are you really [please be courteous]


No one (that I have seen) has ever claimed it was impossible to unlock AT&T iPhones.  The statement has always been that AT&T will not unlock iPhones for any reason.

 

Now this is going to get technical... I hope you can keep up.

 

It has been known since the original iPhone that Apple could unlock iPhones, that is how ALL iPhones get unlocked.

It has been known since the orignail iPhone that some carriers offer unlocking, they do this by informing Apple of the IMEI number to unlock.

Logic would dicatate that Apple has had the ability to offer unlocked iPhones in the US since the original iPhone.

Logic also would dictate that Apple (who manages the unlock database) can unlock iPhones from any carrier anywhere in the world, if they choose to do so.

 

NONE of this indicates that AT&T has the ability to unlock iPhones.

I do not know the specifics of the details regarding unlocking iPhones.  However, I am intelligent enough to know that it is not done via email, there is some type of interface between the carrier and Apple (whether that is a dedicated system or a secure website who knows) that allows the carrier to authorize unlocking.  Nothing about the recent revelation of Apple unlocking AT&T locked new iPhones indicates that AT&T has that ability.

 

Sorry, but at some point Apple_Acolyte you need open your eyes and check out the reality that the rest of us live in.


[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate and Courteous].

 

The AT&T line isn't, as you claim, that it "will not unlock iPhones for any reason." Rather, the official line is, "iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract." You can find that on AT&T's official answer page to the unlock question, lest you doubt me. Those two statements are very different. Yours assets that AT&T claims it will not unlock iPhones, whereas AT&T's true statement on the topic clearly states that "iPhone cannot be unlocked," not that AT&T won't do it but that it cannot be done whatsoever (implicitly due to a technical barrier). Do you understand that distinction?

 

{Please keep it courteous}

 

I also want to point out to you that in failing to debate me you seem to need to erect strawman arguments that I have never made. You're telling me nothing new that iPhone unlocking can be done based on the IMEI code in Apple's database being modified to unlock state. Weeks ago a third party gained access to that database and for a steep fee was unlocking iPhones, which then showed up as unlocked when next synched or restored through iTunes. Apple has the power to do this, but unlocks are usually initiated through carriers.

 

I never claimed that AT&T can't unlock iPhones locked to its network, so you incorreclty attribute that claim to me. I stated that others have made that claim in AT&T's defense and that, moreover, AT&T itself implies that iPhones cannot be unlocked. We both know that's untrue. We both know that Apple Stores can now unlock even AT&T branded, AT&T provisioned iPhones provided that they're sold at the unsubsidized price.

 

So what are we arguing about here? We've both agreed that AT&T simply doesn't want to unlock iPhones, not that it's impossible to do so. Btw, I never once said anything about unlocks being handled over email; I don't what made you try that rhetoric against me, but it's funny that you have to pull things out of thin air in mounting a defense of AT&T against my arguments.

 

It seems to me that you're arguing for arugment's sake, trying and failing to impugn my technical knowledge to cover up for AT&T's failed policy in this regard. You're a corporate shill who has run out of valid arguments to make on behalf of your your paymaster. You're the blind one who is out of touch with reality if you think you've succeeded in arguing against me in any respect. You're also severely under-equipped to engage in a battle of wits with me. (And thank you to wireless-user for aiding my argument.)

 

AT&T: DO THE RIGHT THING BY YOUR IPHONE CUSTOMERS: EXTEND YOUR STANDARD UNLOCK POLICY.


satchev wrote:

Okay, are you really [please be courteous]


No one (that I have seen) has ever claimed it was impossible to unlock AT&T iPhones.  The statement has always been that AT&T will not unlock iPhones for any reason.

 

Now this is going to get technical... I hope you can keep up.

 

It has been known since the original iPhone that Apple could unlock iPhones, that is how ALL iPhones get unlocked.

It has been known since the orignail iPhone that some carriers offer unlocking, they do this by informing Apple of the IMEI number to unlock.

Logic would dicatate that Apple has had the ability to offer unlocked iPhones in the US since the original iPhone.

Logic also would dictate that Apple (who manages the unlock database) can unlock iPhones from any carrier anywhere in the world, if they choose to do so.

 

NONE of this indicates that AT&T has the ability to unlock iPhones.

I do not know the specifics of the details regarding unlocking iPhones.  However, I am intelligent enough to know that it is not done via email, there is some type of interface between the carrier and Apple (whether that is a dedicated system or a secure website who knows) that allows the carrier to authorize unlocking.  Nothing about the recent revelation of Apple unlocking AT&T locked new iPhones indicates that AT&T has that ability.

 

Sorry, but at some point Apple_Acolyte you need open your eyes and check out the reality that the rest of us live in.


[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate and Courteous].

 

The AT&T line isn't, as you claim, that it "will not unlock iPhones for any reason." Rather, the official line is, "iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract." You can find that on AT&T's official answer page to the unlock question, lest you doubt me. Those two statements are very different. Yours assets that AT&T claims it will not unlock iPhones, whereas AT&T's true statement on the topic clearly states that "iPhone cannot be unlocked," not that AT&T won't do it but that it cannot be done whatsoever (implicitly due to a technical barrier). Do you understand that distinction?

 

{Please keep it courteous}

 

I also want to point out to you that in failing to debate me you seem to need to erect strawman arguments that I have never made. You're telling me nothing new that iPhone unlocking can be done based on the IMEI code in Apple's database being modified to unlock state. Weeks ago a third party gained access to that database and for a steep fee was unlocking iPhones, which then showed up as unlocked when next synched or restored through iTunes. Apple has the power to do this, but unlocks are usually initiated through carriers.

 

I never claimed that AT&T can't unlock iPhones locked to its network, so you incorreclty attribute that claim to me. I stated that others have made that claim in AT&T's defense and that, moreover, AT&T itself implies that iPhones cannot be unlocked. We both know that's untrue. We both know that Apple Stores can now unlock even AT&T branded, AT&T provisioned iPhones provided that they're sold at the unsubsidized price.

 

So what are we arguing about here? We've both agreed that AT&T simply doesn't want to unlock iPhones, not that it's impossible to do so. Btw, I never once said anything about unlocks being handled over email; I don't what made you try that rhetoric against me, but it's funny that you have to pull things out of thin air in mounting a defense of AT&T against my arguments.

 

It seems to me that you're arguing for arugment's sake, trying and failing to impugn my technical knowledge to cover up for AT&T's failed policy in this regard. You're a corporate shill who has run out of valid arguments to make on behalf of your your paymaster. You're the blind one who is out of touch with reality if you think you've succeeded in arguing against me in any respect. You're also severely under-equipped to engage in a battle of wits with me. (And thank you to wireless-user for aiding my argument.)

 

AT&T: DO THE RIGHT THING BY YOUR IPHONE CUSTOMERS: EXTEND YOUR STANDARD UNLOCK POLICY.

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

[ Edited ]
73 of 74 (11,100 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2011 8:12:02 AM
0
(0)
Former Moderator

This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. 

 




Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions". This will help other users find this information too!!


Scoobydoo

This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. 

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

74 of 74 (11,081 Views)
Share this post
Share this post