Helpful Links

AT&T official iphone unlock

Teacher

AT&T official iphone unlock

Now, when apple is selling unlocked iphones in its stores and att is working on eating T-mobile, can we expect AT&T to release us from our misery and unlock our phones?

I am a quite happy at&t castumer and also a proud israeli. I live in the US but traveling to my home land every now and than and want to use my current phone or my unused old iphone 3g with my israeli sim card. It is not that I have something against jailbreaking and unlocking via a hack solution but i just don't want to get there,  I need my phone to work and do not want to void my warrenty.

Prove us that you like your customers and understand that there are more uses for an unlocked phone than just  moving to another phone service. Loosen the grip please, there is no need for it anymore.

thanks,

Yaron.

Message 1 of 74
Employee

Re: AT&T official iphone unlock

heres the problem. unlike other phones even if you had an unlock code for your iphone where would you input it to unlock the phone? the device doesnt have that option built into it like other phones do. there is no way at&t can help you unlock an iphone without jailbreaking it which we cant assist with anyways

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 74
Professor

If you want/need an unlocked iPhone, purchase one from Apple.

AT&T is under no obligation to provide the unlock service to existing iPhone users.

Message 3 of 74
Teacher

Do you ask me to buy another phone after I purchased at list 5 iPhones for my family for the past 4 years? This is rude to a point that I cannot even describe! You ask me to pay more because you do not want to change your policy?

Jfiz,
There is a possibility for AT&T to unlock the iphones. Apple has a very good system that the carriers can submit IEMIs and you get an unlocked phone in the next sync. blaming it on the iPhone because it doesn't have an unlock code is admitting one of the following:
1. AT&T thinks that the customers are stupid (or not using the Internet to check)
2. AT&T's approach is to do as little as it can for customers of another company, even (or especially) if they can never be it's customers or already AT&T's customers.

Any of the options are quite insulting as a customer. There are so many legitimate reasons for unlocking the phone and so little reasons for the lock, it's time to change the policy.
Message 4 of 74
Teacher

AT&T, please stop {word filter evasion} your customers -- we know better.

There is a well documented mechanism in place and carriers in other countries (such as O2 in UK) are already doing this for their customers. All AT&T needs to do is to submit an IMEI to Apple's database.  The next time iPhone connects to iTunes, Apple issues a new activation ticket that removes the carrier block, thus iPhone gets unlocked.

Everyone should know this -- it is AT&T that is unwilling to help its customers, not Apple. AT&T is just intentionally feigning ignorance.

Message 5 of 74
Expert

uminatsu wrote:

AT&T, please stop {word filter evasion} your customers -- we know better.

There is a well documented mechanism in place and carriers in other countries (such as O2 in UK) are already doing this for their customers. All AT&T needs to do is to submit an IMEI to Apple's database.  The next time iPhone connects to iTunes, Apple issues a new activation ticket that removes the carrier block, thus iPhone gets unlocked.

Everyone should know this -- it is AT&T that is unwilling to help its customers, not Apple. AT&T is just intentionally feigning ignorance.

so purchase the phone in other countries - as of right now the only unlocked US iphone is sold direct from Apple.

Just becasue you disagree with a companies policy, does not prove that the company is "feigning ignorance" - they are not required to give you an unlock code, that is a corporate policy - not "feigning ignorance.", you may not like or agree with it, but at the endof the day - deal with it

Message 6 of 74
Teacher

Fair enough. Only in the Land of the Free U S of A can AT&T be "not required to give you an unlock code". Maybe we should change the law, but whatever. I wonder how much money did the company spend lobbying.

Message 7 of 74
Former Employee

" you may not like or agree with it"

The funny thing is all this people DID agree with it by buying the phone in first place and signing a contract with AT&T, and now they're demanding some policy changes and whatnot...

Message 8 of 74
Teacher

Some people did not have a choice, a lot of people just did not know! when you come to the store they do not allways tell you that the phone is locked.

For me personally, i do live in the US. I do use at&t. the thing is that i also have an israeli phone line (orange) and i want to be able to use my old iPhone 3g with the old phone that is out of contract.

With every iphone that i bought i had to consider if this is what would make me pay a full price for the iphone and i decided not to. I know what it means and i had to accept the bitter part of the contract so I can enjoy using an iphone. in the past, when i visited israel, i used to jailbreak my phone but there is so many things involved in Jailbreaking and the iphone is slower and less stable. 

I allways knew what i am signing on and always knew what i don't like in the contract. In the past, I used to understand the reason for at&t's phone lock policy but now, after the competition is done and there is a way to buy unlocked phones in america, I find no reason for the unlock  There is no reason for for the bad part of the contract.

Right now, when i look at the future, i am going to stay with att seing it is the only network that my iphone is working on (T-mobile 3g cannot work with the iphone. i need 3g), but 4g days are comming and lte will probably be the dominant technology in the world. if even one company in israel is changing to LTE, I am going to move to verison so fast that i will leave burnmarks on the road.

I have to remind you that until a year and a half ago there was no other options to get an iphone. you might say, so why did you buy an iphone and i will answer immidietly - because i wanted an iphone. i did not want att, i did not have a choice.

I have my old iphone that i paid $200 + $30/month for two years which means i payed $920 for my old iphone and the internent. I am paying $200 + $40/month for my iphone4 and in my openion. it is more than enough for att to understand that they are getting enough money from me. I am obligated for at list another year and they can step to my direction and unlock my old unused phone. its not there's, its mine!

All we are asking is to change a small part of the policy. Do not unlock phones that are under contract, that is fine by me. please unlock the phones that are out of contract.

Message 9 of 74
Teacher

in a way, AT&T is like this fuzzled up brother of the bride in the hangover movies. you do not really want to invite him over, you know he is trouble but you are going to marry his sister (apple and GSM iphone) and there was no real choice for you here.

if i want a fully functioning GSM 3G iphone, i do not have a choice but entering ATT into the party. oh boy, i allways knew it means trouble...
Message 10 of 74

JFizDaWiz wrote:
heres the problem. unlike other phones even if you had an unlock code for your iphone where would you input it to unlock the phone? the device doesnt have that option built into it like other phones do. there is no way at&t can help you unlock an iphone without jailbreaking it which we cant assist with anyways

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

All AT&T needs to do is send an update to Apple's IMEI data base to unlock the phone.  The next time the phone connects to iTunes and updates the firmware the phone will be unlocked.  Apple contols the lock / unlock,  AT&T or any other carrier that sells subsidized iPhone can instruct Apple to unlock a particular phone.

Message 11 of 74
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

All AT&T needs to do is send an update to Apple's IMEI data base to unlock the phone.  The next time the phone connects to iTunes and updates the firmware the phone will be unlocked.  Apple contols the lock / unlock,  AT&T or any other carrier that sells subsidized iPhone can instruct Apple to unlock a particular phone.

ATT does not have to do anything - the company policy is they do not unlock the phones - want a unlocked one - buy it from Apple, the only other carrier in the US that sells the Iphone is on CDMA - and they do not unlock the iphone or any other phone they carrier either

Message 12 of 74
Teacher

Wingrider,
You know what is beautiful abut AT&T's policy? It is only a policy. It is not set in stone and can be changed. We are not talking about a book in the old testament, it is only att's policy. I understand that AT&T does not HAVE TO do anything but the company definitely CAN do something about this issue.

On the other hand, maybe we will meet in court and then there is a chance that the customers can void the apple-AT&T contract. This will make AT&T to HAVE TO change the policy.

Another thing. If you are not intending to buy us a sim free iPhone, please stop asking us to buy one. You sound ignorant like Marie Antoinette - if there is no unlock, buy a new iPhone.

The thing is that by the way that you react to the posts proves that you do not have a lot of knowledge in the technical issue. Verizon does not have to unlock the phone because any other CDMA carrier can take the phone and register it to it's network. In CDMA the problem is not the company that you bought the phone from but the company that you are moving to.
Message 13 of 74
Highlighted
Scholar

It's the same old story that you see hundreds (nay, thousands) of times posted on this site. Someone decides that they have an absolute Constitutional right to have their iPhone unlocked because a) they bought it at full price; b) the contract is over or c) AT&T is a greedy, corporate monster that only wants the posters first born child and all of their money.

I suggest you go to your boss and tell him that now that you have worked for him for 1, 2, 5, 10 months, years, whatever it's time that you no longer paid for health insurance, or any other perk that you have, and he is a greedy [please be courteous] if he doesn't do exactly what you want. Just don't let the door hit you in the [please be courteous] as he throws you through it.

That is the same reasoning you are using to demand that AT&T give you what you want, regardless of the contract you signed and the agreement you made when you first bought the phone.

Grow up!

Message 14 of 74
Teacher

Smalcom, as I told you in another post, you will not succeed to demonize me by using this kind of approach.

Business interest is not above all and the us is not a business anarchy.

Customers have rights. Big corporations can be wrong.

The fact that there are tousends of complains should raise some concerns in AT&T's headquarters.

I also hope that after you will work in a company for more then five, ten... Years, your benefits will be improved and you will not find yourself stuck with the same package you started with. If you are stil getting payed the same as you did, quit your job and find a new one because 1. It says that you are not good in what you are doing 2. It means that the company is riding on your back like a very well trained horse.
Message 15 of 74
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support