AT&T now blaming Apple for early adopter upgrade mess

Teacher

AT&T now blaming Apple for early adopter upgrade mess

You have to read it to believe it.  Seriously AT&T, stop lying and provide transparency on exactly how the upgrade process works.

http://www.cultofmac.com/120848/att-blaming-apple-for-iphone-4s-upgrade-pricing-that-screws-loyal-ip...

BF
Message 1 of 29 (1,466 Views)
Professor

Re: AT&T now blaming Apple for early adopter upgrade mess

yozhbk wrote:
Pretty sure you are being dump, yes people will pay 165 rather then 250+18 per line. The 2 year is a contract cycle not upgrade cycle you are committing to the plan not a cell phone, why is the warranty on all phones only for a year not 2 ? Trust me if this is not fix by Att they will see impact, before it could of been brushed off, but not with other carriers that actually have higher customer satisfaction getting same phone, there will be red on next report, this already might be late since people are making up there mind and researching plans like me.

True, if money were the ONLY part of the equation, people would pay rather $165 than $250.  But, the cheapest option is to just wait a month or two for your upgrade date to come around and then pay nothing extra.  A lot of people would rather pay $0 than $165 or $250.

Message 16 of 29 (516 Views)
Scholar

Exactly money is not its the principal of having to wait 16 months and then being told wait 1.5 (really close 2 monhts)  more, when some people phones were berely hanging on already. 

See I`m ok with paying extra for 1 line, I did it last time. But paying $500 extra because they want us to wait another 2 months, for some random reason, while so many carriers have it now and its cheaper to get it there and plans cheaper just doent make sense to me.....

Message 17 of 29 (510 Views)
Guru

dwill05 wrote:
Maybe. But people who leave have to decide whether not being able to talk and use data at the same times is a big deal when they swap over to Verizon or Sprint. 

The only people who think that being able to talk and use data at the same time is a big deal are the pro-AT&T folks who love to constantly shill it as the big feature that distinguishes AT&T from the other carriers; I mean, millions of VZ smartphone users apparently don't think that simultaneous talk/data is a necessity. Seriously--would your smartphone experience be less enjoyable if you weren't able to surf the web on your smartphone while talking to your mother at the same time?

Don't get me wrong--simultaneous talk/data is a great feature, but it's not the make-or-break or must-have feature that some AT&T fanboys make it out to be.  Heck--look at how many folks purchased the first-gen iPhone even though there were other smartphones out there that were capable of 3G?

Message 18 of 29 (476 Views)

Ah, finally time for the delayed "But AT&T has to let me get a subsidized upgrade every 12 (or 15 this time) months, even though they told me up front that upgrades were every 20 months on a 2 year contract" threads.  I'll go get my popcorn...

Message 19 of 29 (472 Views)
Scholar

archermoo wrote:

Ah, finally time for the delayed "But AT&T has to let me get a subsidized upgrade every 12 (or 15 this time) months, even though they told me up front that upgrades were every 20 months on a 2 year contract" threads.  I'll go get my popcorn...

I kinda agree.  We all knew the rules when we signed up.  Upgrade discount every time your contract comes due.  Some times AT&T has let that slip, but we have no right to demand it.  Just because they've done it in the past doesn't mean they have to do it every time.  Knowing Apple I'm certain AT&T has had to pay through the nose for the iPhones, I'm not surprised they are being tight on additional deals.

Message 20 of 29 (467 Views)

tonester wrote:

dwill05 wrote:
Maybe. But people who leave have to decide whether not being able to talk and use data at the same times is a big deal when they swap over to Verizon or Sprint. 

The only people who think that being able to talk and use data at the same time is a big deal are the pro-AT&T folks who love to constantly shill it as the big feature that distinguishes AT&T from the other carriers; I mean, millions of VZ smartphone users apparently don't think that simultaneous talk/data is a necessity. Seriously--would your smartphone experience be less enjoyable if you weren't able to surf the web on your smartphone while talking to your mother at the same time?

Don't get me wrong--simultaneous talk/data is a great feature, but it's not the make-or-break or must-have feature that some AT&T fanboys make it out to be.  Heck--look at how many folks purchased the first-gen iPhone even though there were other smartphones out there that were capable of 3G?

It is a fairly important feature for me at least.  There have been a number of times that my wife has called me asking for help with directions while driving, and being able to keep her on the phone while I look things up for her has been very useful.  Not to mention calling friends to figure out where we want to meet for dinner, or what movie we want to go to.  Nice to be able to look those things up rather than hanging up, looking stuff up, calling back, repeat until decision is made.

That being said, there are a lot of more important decisions at the carrier level.  How good the service is in the areas you are most in is right up there at the top of the list.  If I had a problem with AT&T's coverage I'd have no problems switching to a different carrier.  Fortunately I don't.

Message 21 of 29 (534 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]

@youngjm -- {Please keep it courteous}  Apple does not LET their servers go down during an iPhone launch...its never happened.  Now AT&T servers have gone down, but never Apple.

Further, the dates ARE NOT spread out.  Launch date for Iphone 4 was 6-24-2011.  

11-24-2011 is Thanksgiving, stores are closed, yet this is when most upgrade dates for those that purchased iPhone4 at launch were pushed to by AT&T. (Exactly 17 months after iPhone4 purchase)

Apple is controlling, and I highly doubt they want their early adopter customers to wait an additional 42 days, then swamp their stores on Black Friday (11-25-2011)

Your argument does not hold water.  {Please keep it courteous}

BF
Message 22 of 29 (513 Views)
Scholar

My is 11/22 not 24.
Message 23 of 29 (437 Views)
Master

@brafly frOm personal experience ordering ny iPhone 4 from Apple, they were overwhelmed and their site definitely went down. During the iPhone 3G launch folks waited up to 72 hours fort their iPhones to be activated.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 24 of 29 (433 Views)
Expert

What if we're out of contract, just want a phone upgrade (keep existing plan, add data plan), how difficult will that be?  Already checked, all Family Talk phones are eligible for upgrades (including iPhones).

Message 25 of 29 (418 Views)
Scholar

If you all want to pay your ETFs to get the iPhone 4s on another carrier, that is your choice. But, what will you do when the 5 comes out, and you realize your new carrier also will not allow you to upgrade early? Jump THAT ship too? Verizon doesnt do it. Sprint doesnt do it. So I dont understand the fuss.
Message 26 of 29 (401 Views)

AT&T is the only carrier that offers early upgrades, so I believe once they realize when the iphone 5 comes out that they cannot upgrade to it, they will end up jumping ship on their new carrier and wasting more of their time/money instead of just saving themselves the pain of switching carriers for a phone that looks exactly the same as the iphone 4.

Message 27 of 29 (393 Views)
Scholar

Exactly. I know Sprint has no yearly upgrades anymore. And good luck on trying to upgrade a DAY before your eligibility date. They also raised their ETFs from 200 to. 350. So that'll be pretty costly for the ship jumpers when the 5 comes out.
Message 28 of 29 (380 Views)
Contributor

No, just ordered mine this morning for $199 for 16G and I have an old iphone 3 that is 3 years old.

Message 29 of 29 (331 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.