AT&T now blaming Apple for early adopter upgrade mess

Highlighted
Teacher

AT&T now blaming Apple for early adopter upgrade mess

You have to read it to believe it.  Seriously AT&T, stop lying and provide transparency on exactly how the upgrade process works.

http://www.cultofmac.com/120848/att-blaming-apple-for-iphone-4s-upgrade-pricing-that-screws-loyal-ip...

BF
Message 1 of 29
Professor

Re: AT&T now blaming Apple for early adopter upgrade mess

Brafly wrote:

You have to read it to believe it.  Seriously AT&T, stop lying and provide transparency on exactly how the upgrade process works.

http://www.cultofmac.com/120848/att-blaming-apple-for-iphone-4s-upgrade-pricing-that-screws-loyal-ip...

How do you know this article isn't correct?

Message 2 of 29
Professor

some one post the price after they do preorder friday!!  then the forums will know the price.

Message 3 of 29
Professor

Are you saying that you don't believe the prices posted on Apple's website?

Message 4 of 29
Professor

not after reading the prices the artical had posted. 449$ for  16GB 

Message 5 of 29

Better to say, you actually believe an article on a 2nd tier (at best) blog? And why did the writer believe what a lowly CSR said .....

Either way its a Marketing Nightmare for Apple and AT&T if they don't decide to post up some sort of retraction/clarification. To be honest though neither will suffer much from this, the people who are affected are not big stock share holders.
Message 6 of 29
Scholar

It'll be a big chunck of family plans that will leave. They will feel it.....
Message 7 of 29
Professor

Maybe. But people who leave have to decide whether not being able to talk and use data at the same times is a big deal when they swap over to Verizon or Sprint. Also, whether their coverage is at least as good. It may be worthwhile for some, and not for others. People have to decide whether going elsewhere really is better. Threatening to leave on the spur of the moment is one thing, but ultimately, people will have to decide whether the pros and cons of the other services are worth it in the end.

Personally, I doubt many people will leave just over having to wait a month or two to upgrade if they have already been using the phone 4 for a year and a half. People claimed that millions of people would flock to Verizon when they finally for the iPhone and AT&T would collapse on it's own greed. That didn't happen that, and I doubt it will happen now, but that's just my opinion. We'll have to see.
Message 8 of 29
Professor

yozhbk wrote:
It'll be a big chunck of family plans that will leave. They will feel it.....

Really???? You honestly think a lot of people will ETF out at $165~ per line (assuming contracts were started June/July 2010) to go to another carrier, sign a new 2yr contract and pay a minimum of $199 for a new 4S?

That's just dumb.

They are not eligible for an upgrade based on the terms of the contract they signed.  No one is being hurt here.  If you do not want a contract, buy the phone at full price.

If you want the newest/latest/greatest before being eligible for full discount, take advantage of the early upgrade price.

Otherwise, wait the 1-4 months or however long it is until you are fully eligible.

Just stop acting like [please be courteous]

Message 9 of 29
Scholar

Pretty sure you are being dump, yes people will pay 165 rather then 250+18 per line. The 2 year is a contract cycle not upgrade cycle you are committing to the plan not a cell phone, why is the warranty on all phones only for a year not 2 ? Trust me if this is not fix by Att they will see impact, before it could of been brushed off, but not with other carriers that actually have higher customer satisfaction getting same phone, there will be red on next report, this already might be late since people are making up there mind and researching plans like me.
Message 10 of 29
Former Moderator

Hi folks, let all remember to keep it courteous please. Thank you Smiley Happy

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 11 of 29
Former Employee

Message 12 of 29
Master

In many ways this makes sense.  For the iPhone 4 launch, the servers got slammed.  By spreading out renewals based on the users bills, they can delay the full impact of all the orders.  Apple is a very controlling company and want to control that experience and having their servers go down is not good.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 13 of 29
Professor

Graphite, my point was that everyone's upgrade eligibility is different, therefore different people will pay different prices. That screenshot in the article showed the upgrade eligibility for the author. If you put in your information, it could be different and should be accurate for you.
Message 14 of 29
Professor

21stNow wrote:
Graphite, my point was that everyone's upgrade eligibility is different, therefore different people will pay different prices. That screenshot in the article showed the upgrade eligibility for the author. If you put in your information, it could be different and should be accurate for you.

ok got it.   i need to check my upgrade price. my bill is pass  due will be paid friday.  so i can find out  how much.

Message 15 of 29
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support