Helpful Links

AT&T marketing the iPhone 4s as a 4G phone

Guru

AT&T marketing the iPhone 4s as a 4G phone

No this is not some rumor or hearsay taken from some third-party website--this is straight from AT&T's own webpage:

iphone4s4g.jpg

I guess if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...I guess since a 4G standard hasn't been ratified yet, looks like carriers are free to interpret it anyway they feel like; in AT&T's case, they feel that they can call the 4s a "4G" device simply because it is capable of HSPA+ speeds...

I should mention that I'm not trying to imply that AT&T is the only carrier guilty of such "gray-area" marketing tactics; however, it should also be noted that--at least for the moment--neither VZW nor Sprint are marketing their versions of the 4s as a 4G device...but since the carriers love to play "follow the leader", I would not be surprised if VZW and/or Sprint eventually follow suit.

AT&T fanboys, please feel free to chime in on what

Message 1 of 18
Master

Re: AT&T marketing the iPhone 4s as a 4G phone

jachmar15 wrote:
Apple uses the G for generation. The 3g is the third generation iphone and the 4g is the 4th generation iphone. Same way they do there ipods and such. Not sure why ATT does it though

In this case for this discussion, we are referring to the 3G icon next to the wireless meter.  ATT and Apple are looking to have this changed to 4G when you are on HSPA+  even without that change, ATT is marketing the iPhone 4S as a 4G (network not generation) iphone.  Yes it is confussing.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 16 of 18

youngjm wrote:

jachmar15 wrote:
Apple uses the G for generation. The 3g is the third generation iphone and the 4g is the 4th generation iphone. Same way they do there ipods and such. Not sure why ATT does it though

In this case for this discussion, we are referring to the 3G icon next to the wireless meter.  ATT and Apple are looking to have this changed to 4G when you are on HSPA+  even without that change, ATT is marketing the iPhone 4S as a 4G (network not generation) iphone.  Yes it is confussing.

And I at least would find it useful to have an indicator of some kind when on HSPA+, regardless of whether anyone believes that it should be considered 4G. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
Professor

archermoo wrote:

And I at least would find it useful to have an indicator of some kind when on HSPA+, regardless of whether anyone believes that it should be considered 4G. Smiley Happy

My question is on AT&T's current 4G phones, do they have icons for 4G and 3G?  I ask this because on T-Mobile's 4G phones, both the 3G and 4G networks display the 4G icon on the phone.  It has been said that this is due to 3G and 4G really being the same network on HSPA+.

Message 18 of 18
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support