Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 24, 2011
9:26:05 AM
AT&T marketing the iPhone 4s as a 4G phone

No this is not some rumor or hearsay taken from some third-party website--this is straight from AT&T's own webpage:

I guess if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...I guess since a 4G standard hasn't been ratified yet, looks like carriers are free to interpret it anyway they feel like; in AT&T's case, they feel that they can call the 4s a "4G" device simply because it is capable of HSPA+ speeds...

I should mention that I'm not trying to imply that AT&T is the only carrier guilty of such "gray-area" marketing tactics; however, it should also be noted that--at least for the moment--neither VZW nor Sprint are marketing their versions of the 4s as a 4G device...but since the carriers love to play "follow the leader", I would not be surprised if VZW and/or Sprint eventually follow suit.

AT&T fanboys, please feel free to chime in on what

No this is not some rumor or hearsay taken from some third-party website--this is straight from AT&T's own webpage:

I guess if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...I guess since a 4G standard hasn't been ratified yet, looks like carriers are free to interpret it anyway they feel like; in AT&T's case, they feel that they can call the 4s a "4G" device simply because it is capable of HSPA+ speeds...

I should mention that I'm not trying to imply that AT&T is the only carrier guilty of such "gray-area" marketing tactics; however, it should also be noted that--at least for the moment--neither VZW nor Sprint are marketing their versions of the 4s as a 4G device...but since the carriers love to play "follow the leader", I would not be surprised if VZW and/or Sprint eventually follow suit.

AT&T marketing the iPhone 4s as a 4G phone

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 9:32:48 AM
(0)
Guru

The ITU, which originally did not classify HSPA+ as a 4G technology, reversed that position in about-face late last year...

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/18/itu-reverses-its-decision-lte-wimax-and-hspa-are-now-4g/

I believe T-Mobile was the first to jump on the "HSPA+ is 4G technology" bandwagon.

The ITU, which originally did not classify HSPA+ as a 4G technology, reversed that position in about-face late last year...

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/18/itu-reverses-its-decision-lte-wimax-and-hspa-are-now-4g/

I believe T-Mobile was the first to jump on the "HSPA+ is 4G technology" bandwagon.

Re: AT&T marketing the iPhone 4s as a 4G phone

2 of 18 (853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 10:43:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

I thought it had always been merketed as a 4G, but on at&t only...

I thought it had always been merketed as a 4G, but on at&t only...

3 of 18 (806 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 10:53:33 AM
(0)
Former Employee

"AT&T fanboys, please feel free to chime in on what"

OK... Verizon and Sprint are not marketing iPhone 4S as a 4G phone because their networks are CSMA Rev. A 3G (that iPhone 4S supports) and AT&T is the only one with HSDPA or HSPA+.

OK... Verizon and Sprint are not marketing iPhone 4S as a 4G phone because their networks are CSMA Rev. A 3G (that iPhone 4S supports) and AT&T is the only one with HSDPA or HSPA+.

4 of 18 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 11:00:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

tonester wrote:

I'm nobody's fanboy, but Verizon's network is not capible of hspa+  .. so I doubt that they'll be advertizing iPhone 4S as 4G. 

tonester wrote:

I'm nobody's fanboy, but Verizon's network is not capible of hspa+  .. so I doubt that they'll be advertizing iPhone 4S as 4G. 

5 of 18 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 11:53:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

Just curious, my iPhone 3G says '3G' in the top left corner.  Does the iPhone 4s read '4g'?

Just curious, my iPhone 3G says '3G' in the top left corner.  Does the iPhone 4s read '4g'?

6 of 18 (765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 12:39:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

No iPhone reads "4G" anywhere on the display.

AT&T is the one marketing the device as "4G".  Apple has chosen to stay out of the debate over 4G.

No iPhone reads "4G" anywhere on the display.

AT&T is the one marketing the device as "4G".  Apple has chosen to stay out of the debate over 4G.

7 of 18 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 2:19:30 PM
(0)
Guru

AT&T is allegedly working with Apple to have iPhones say "4G" when connected to an HSPA+ network, as has been reported by Apple blogs.

AT&T is allegedly working with Apple to have iPhones say "4G" when connected to an HSPA+ network, as has been reported by Apple blogs.

8 of 18 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 5:09:18 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Oct 24, 2011 at 5:10:41 PM
Yes, this is not right for them to do, but AT&T will do anything they can to be the best. They should not indicate that the iPhone 4S has TRUE 4G LTE, but place an asterisk after the "4G" and at the bottom, type something such as,
"HSPA+ network being utilized. 4G LTE will come in the months. Not available in all areas."

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Yes, this is not right for them to do, but AT&T will do anything they can to be the best. They should not indicate that the iPhone 4S has TRUE 4G LTE, but place an asterisk after the "4G" and at the bottom, type something such as,
"HSPA+ network being utilized. 4G LTE will come in the months. Not available in all areas."

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

[ Edited ]
9 of 18 (688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 5:21:08 PM
(0)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:

HSPA+ and the version of LTE implemented by Verizon are acutally 3.9G so technically not even Verizon's 4G is really 4G.  LTE Advanced is the version of LTE that is truely 4G.  Since Verizon is doing it for their not 4G network, ATT is going to too.  The carriers are getting fast and loose with the definition.

So if it is not right for ATT to call it 4G, it is also not right for Verizon to call their LTE network 4G either.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Wild Banchi wrote:

HSPA+ and the version of LTE implemented by Verizon are acutally 3.9G so technically not even Verizon's 4G is really 4G.  LTE Advanced is the version of LTE that is truely 4G.  Since Verizon is doing it for their not 4G network, ATT is going to too.  The carriers are getting fast and loose with the definition.

So if it is not right for ATT to call it 4G, it is also not right for Verizon to call their LTE network 4G either.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 18 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 5:34:54 PM
(0)
Master
That is correct, youngjm. I understood it that way.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

That is correct, youngjm. I understood it that way.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

11 of 18 (408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 7:32:31 AM
(0)
Mentor
Apple uses the G for generation. The 3g is the third generation iphone and the 4g is the 4th generation iphone. Same way they do there ipods and such. Not sure why ATT does it though
Apple uses the G for generation. The 3g is the third generation iphone and the 4g is the 4th generation iphone. Same way they do there ipods and such. Not sure why ATT does it though

12 of 18 (379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 7:45:32 AM
(0)
Guru

jachmar15 wrote:

That may be the case with iPods, but not with iPhones.  They have been the iPhone, iPhone 3G (as in 3G cell network, as it was the second generation phone), iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S.

AT&T is promoting it as a 4G phone because the their HSPA+ network is now considered a 4G network and the iPhone can use it.  Pure marketing, but then again it always has been.

jachmar15 wrote:

That may be the case with iPods, but not with iPhones.  They have been the iPhone, iPhone 3G (as in 3G cell network, as it was the second generation phone), iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S.

AT&T is promoting it as a 4G phone because the their HSPA+ network is now considered a 4G network and the iPhone can use it.  Pure marketing, but then again it always has been.

13 of 18 (377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 7:45:45 AM
(0)
Guru

drumn_bass wrote:

Yeah, I discovered that fact sometime after I had posted my response; in any case, that pretty much proves that IMHO, AT&T has chosen to identify the iPhone 4s as a 4G device primarily for marketing purposes--i.e., trying to market their "version" of the iPhone 4s as being better than the ones offered by VZW and Sprint.

drumn_bass wrote:

Yeah, I discovered that fact sometime after I had posted my response; in any case, that pretty much proves that IMHO, AT&T has chosen to identify the iPhone 4s as a 4G device primarily for marketing purposes--i.e., trying to market their "version" of the iPhone 4s as being better than the ones offered by VZW and Sprint.

14 of 18 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 8:24:59 AM
(0)
Expert

tonester wrote:

drumn_bass wrote:

evidently there is something to the statement

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4s-speed-test-att-vs-verizon-vs-sprint-14188198/

SpeedTest.net comparison shows AT&T way ahead with a download speed of 0.65Mbps, Verizon with 0.26Mbps, and Sprint with 0.16Mbps. The tester claims that the results were similar no matter how he arranged the positions of the devices.

tonester wrote:

drumn_bass wrote:

evidently there is something to the statement

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4s-speed-test-att-vs-verizon-vs-sprint-14188198/

SpeedTest.net comparison shows AT&T way ahead with a download speed of 0.65Mbps, Verizon with 0.26Mbps, and Sprint with 0.16Mbps. The tester claims that the results were similar no matter how he arranged the positions of the devices.

15 of 18 (367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 5:44:50 PM
(0)
Master

jachmar15 wrote:

In this case for this discussion, we are referring to the 3G icon next to the wireless meter.  ATT and Apple are looking to have this changed to 4G when you are on HSPA+  even without that change, ATT is marketing the iPhone 4S as a 4G (network not generation) iphone.  Yes it is confussing.

jachmar15 wrote:

In this case for this discussion, we are referring to the 3G icon next to the wireless meter.  ATT and Apple are looking to have this changed to 4G when you are on HSPA+  even without that change, ATT is marketing the iPhone 4S as a 4G (network not generation) iphone.  Yes it is confussing.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

16 of 18 (343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 7:36:59 PM
(0)
Guru

youngjm wrote:

jachmar15 wrote:

And I at least would find it useful to have an indicator of some kind when on HSPA+, regardless of whether anyone believes that it should be considered 4G. Smiley Happy

youngjm wrote:

jachmar15 wrote:

And I at least would find it useful to have an indicator of some kind when on HSPA+, regardless of whether anyone believes that it should be considered 4G. Smiley Happy

17 of 18 (335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 9:57:23 AM
(0)
Professor

archermoo wrote:

My question is on AT&T's current 4G phones, do they have icons for 4G and 3G?  I ask this because on T-Mobile's 4G phones, both the 3G and 4G networks display the 4G icon on the phone.  It has been said that this is due to 3G and 4G really being the same network on HSPA+.

archermoo wrote:

My question is on AT&T's current 4G phones, do they have icons for 4G and 3G?  I ask this because on T-Mobile's 4G phones, both the 3G and 4G networks display the 4G icon on the phone.  It has been said that this is due to 3G and 4G really being the same network on HSPA+.

18 of 18 (310 Views)