.AT&T has the WORST customer service in the world!

Contributor

.AT&T has the WORST customer service in the world!

My husband and I have been trying to get a new phone line installed at his mother's home next door to us for over 2 weeks now. They finally came out to put in the new line yesterday to her home but the order had been written up incorrectly at the ATT office so the tech had to do a patch to get it to work. As of today, her phone is no longer working. She is 88 years old and in poor health and at this point this is a SAFETY issue. We have spent about 4 hours total on the phone with AT&T in the past two weeks trying to get this done and we are totally in didbelief at their horrible inadequate customer service. We cannot reach anything but a phone tree that is the worst phone tree EVER, and when we finally explain what is going on they tell us it will be another 2 weeks before they can fix this. AT & T is the WORST company I've ever dealt with in my entire life and I guess they can get away with it since they are a monopoly. We were thinking of switching to ATT U-verse before this happened but that will never happen now. I'm also considering switching cell phone companies for my son and myself just so I won't have to deal with them again. I will tell everyone I see what horrible service we have had and hope that just the bad advertising will hurt them in ANY way. I realize that I am just one person, and it probably won't make a difference but I hope one voice will count for something. ATT, you should be ashamed that you are making an 88 year old woman wait so long to have phone service so that she can feel safe in her own home.

Message 1 of 17 (564 Views)
Scholar

Re: .AT&T has the WORST customer service in the world!

Sorry about your experience, but there are nightmare customer service and installation stories with every big company. Customer service in general is a huge world wide problem, long gone are the days of the customer is always right.

Bottomline: In this day and age I would not even consider customer service when shopping around for a provider of service since they all have there issues. Factor in the cost, features and quality and go for it.
Message 2 of 17 (519 Views)
Contributor

I totally agree!!! Every single time I have to contact them I am on the phone for at least an hour between the time it takes to wait for a CSR and the time it takes for the incompetent CSR to resolve the issue. Most times I have to call back another 2 times until my issue can be fully resolved. It is ridiculous! I am even a stay at home mother. I have no idea how people who work full time ever get the chance to spend this much time on one service.

I seriously have had it. I had to call in a few evenings ago to change my plan, dispute charges on my bill, and complain about the HORRIBLE service I have. EVERY single time I am on a call it drops me or worse yet, I can't even call out at times. This is a major problem for me since I do not have a landline phone and if I need to call out in the case of an emergency I could not. Tuesday night I called AT&T and immediately requested to speak with a manager. I was told by the CSR that the manager had too many calls already and he asked if I would "give him a chance". Feeling bad I did give him a chance, but we didn't get too far into the conversation when I became very annoyed. First of all, the guy was not able to speak English very well at all. I could barely understand what he was saying. He also told me something different than the other 100 CSR's I have spoken to in the past. This is EXACTLY why I requested to speak to a manager in the first place! He argued with me and/or found an excuse to make me continue my conversation with him even after the multiple times I asked to speak with a manager. You can forget about asking how to identify them or getting a number to their direct line in case they do not resolve your issue and you have to call back. This particular CSR did NOT know what he was doing as many times I had to correct the information he was telling me. Several times I had to be put on hold so he could go ask the supervisor who was entirely too busy to speak with me, yet had the time to relay information to his supervisee to relay to me. Thhis makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

I ultimately requested to downgrade my service. My bill was already overdue because AT&T has changed their website and I was unable to make a payment online because of their error. This CSR told me the change in my service would be backdated to my current bill and I would not be charged late fees. He instructed me to wait 24 hours before I attempted to make a payment online and assured me that my balance would reflect the downgrade.

Here it is over 48 hours from that phone call and my balance is still what it was 3 days ago! However, they didn't procrastinate on taking away every single rollover minute I had accumalated up untl that day (over 6,000 minutes!!!).

I have concluded that AT&T cellular service and customer service are not worth the price. My contract is up and I think I just might switch providers. I can only take so much.

Message 3 of 17 (496 Views)
Professor

kwinston wrote:
Sorry about your experience, but there are nightmare customer service and installation stories with every big company. Customer service in general is a huge world wide problem, long gone are the days of the customer is always right.

Bottomline: In this day and age I would not even consider customer service when shopping around for a provider of service since they all have there issues. Factor in the cost, features and quality and go for it.

wait a minute..... say WHAT?... did i hear correctly? did kwinston "Just" say,,,, 

No! kwinston, say it aint so:

http://forums.att.com/t5/General-Care-and-Support/Customer-Service-has-been-great-for-well-over-a-ye...

Message 4 of 17 (485 Views)
Scholar

You make it sound like my posts are contradicting, which they are not.

A huge company can have a excellent customer service department, but there still will be some horror story CS experiences.
Just because I have a thread about the excellent CS experience I have with a company does not mean I'm saying you should factor in customer service when shopping around for service. Please quit making assumptions, you seem to be real good at that.
Customer service with big companies like AT&T should not really factor into the equation unless they absolutely suck at it. ex: Magicjack; Probably one of the worst ones out there because you cannot call a live person and talk to them. IMO
Fact is that in this day and age, people can get most of their issues fixed with a google search or a customer based forum like this one. Calling a CS department is the last resort for me.
Message 5 of 17 (475 Views)
Professor

Oh, sadly, tbey certainly do suck at it, you're an oldtimer, you said you have been around pre intetnet.. Go online, how have you missed stjdies on best and worst customer services , and to narrow the field, among carriers? If we are taking the topic there and abandoning customer forum posting priviledges, according to studies and surveys.... The winner of the bad csr award goes to.... Yep.

I do appreciate good csr and know , from experience, when I need to excuse myself from a call and call back or go to a mgr. So, I can see where the bad reputation is coming from. And it doesnt seem that att is focusing on that facet , yet....
Message 6 of 17 (473 Views)
Scholar

45 is not an old timer, LOL Sorry, most people on this earth have been around pre internet. Look at surveys and AT&T is not even close to the worst for cellphone providers. JD Powers actually to my surprise has them ranked second behind Verizon. The only constant in many of the surveys I have seen is that Verizon is usually ranked #1 and the rest of the carriers trade spots.
Message 7 of 17 (467 Views)
Professor

JUST picking on you! Dont reach thru that monitor and pull my adams apple... What? ...i thought we were talking about surveys of best and worst customer service between carriers... Now you talking about provider level?... You sure u aint a tad older.... I hear things get fergittful when we ripe up...... Kidding!

I do like my sercvive with att. I chose att, not out of necessity but I wanted att. Im good with my services. When they address their front-line first-impression csr low grades, they will have higher ratings.... But until then... Its a roulette game when you must call, hopin fb u come away from the call still intact
Message 8 of 17 (466 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Let me go father back into my AT&T CS experience. What you have read so far is only the last 2 years, which has been very good, if not exceptional. IMO I was an AT&T customer pre-2005. By early 2005, I cut ties with AT&T entirely, dropped my landline, my wireless and even my AT&T Universal credit card because back then their CS truly sucked.
After that, for wireless I was then a happy cingular customer. Well then AT&T buys out Cingular and I'm once again an AT&T customer. I could not escape this company. lol Gradually during the remaining part of my contract AT&T's CS very slowly was improving, enough by contracts end to have me renew my contract and get an iphone.
AS time went by, the CS kept slowly improving and improving. by August of 2009, I switched to Uverse and the customer service keeps getting better and better. Say what you want, At&T is trying hard to improve their CS. Maybe it's more a regional thing, were certain regions are better than others.

Am I happy AT&T customer?   Now that I have a microcell that I'm not paying for, my dropped calls issue is a thing of the past, so yes I'm happy.  

Message 9 of 17 (465 Views)
Professor

Thats good history and a good track of acceptible csr experience. I think its not a regional thing but a draw of the cards who you get on tbe other end. Ive been with att since 2004 pre cingular... And have noticed different phases of support. I can say that att must know its a prob because they have over the last couple years incorporated their csr to ask from rate of 1 to 5 how the customer would rate them at the end of a call. ..... I have always rated 5....WAIT! I aint contradicted myself yet now.... Lemme explain... I never get to the rate portion of a call with a bad rep because by then i have called back and got someone else or finished the original call with the mgr...

Message 10 of 17 (456 Views)
Scholar

Yeah, but now in the last few months they call you back the next day to do an over the phone feedback things on your CS experience. This has happened the last 3 times I called. Just another thing they are doing to improve things.
Message 11 of 17 (376 Views)
Professor

Let me tell u, my services cant be any better!... Not to go into details or down memorylane.. Back when I I "had" to call and report 100% downgrade in calls, etc.. That so and so csr told me I never had servicez to begin with and shouldnt have it now and couldnt see what I was calling about..... Now...THAT was one happy csr wben her mgr got done. But thats behind me now..
Message 12 of 17 (376 Views)
Scholar

How long ago did that happen?

I don't really see something like that happening today. They may be fixing CS in my eyes, but now they need to work on how poorly they do their website upgrades. Even the new website sucks in general, it is still confusing and not streamlined enough. IMO
Message 13 of 17 (375 Views)
Professor

Exactly! I have had that call back on some recent items. Att IS hearing the concerns of customers and doing something about tbat frontline csr reputation afterall. If they keep this up, they will knock ole red V out of the sky
Message 14 of 17 (374 Views)
Professor

It happened in 2009. Three towers damaged, one rmaining got overworked.. Calls went from excellent to none... Att didnt know about two of the three. Thats why all of a sudden services degraded. One or two down, there was at least two to handle the traffic.. Calls were made, esxcallated tickets by several , me, neighbor and others I am sure. ... But when told tere are no towers and no services to begin with... I literally laughed out loud and asked the rep to look at my account one more time, payments, calls made, data upload,etc and rephrase her comment... She said again.. Never had services.. I would have been totally ok if she said, my error, let me see what we can do instead of sticking to that bogus rsponse... Mgr got earfull after that.. All the call did was made a matter worse..
Message 15 of 17 (371 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.