Helpful Links

AT&T employees are liars!

Tutor

AT&T employees are liars!

I was a Verizon Wireless customer for 9 years and decided to switch to AT&T for the iPhone 4.  I called and spoke to someone about everything and I said to the person "Verizon has allowed me to upgrade my device every 12 months for just the price of the device on a 2 year contract... does AT&T do anything like this?"  The rep on the phone said "yes we do... in If you want to upgrade to a new iPhone after 12 months all you have to pay is the contract rate for the price and an activation fee (something like $15-20 she said)" and continued to process my iPhone 4 pre-order.

I called AT&T yesterday to ask them about when I can pre-order and the lady said "November 25th is when you can pre-order for the price of the device with a 2 year contract.  Before that date, there will be an additional $250 Early Upgrade Fee and an $18 activation fee charged as well."  After talking to her a little while longer she said "if you had a Premier account, I would be able to help you out!"  I told her that I DO HAVE A PREMIER ACCOUNT!!!  After looking through my account she realized that I DID have a premier account but wasnt able to help me without charging the $250 fee!

So, if you guys want an iPhone 4S with a better network (Sprint or Verizon, whichever you prefer), do what I am going to do.  Pre-order the iPhone 4S this Friday and port your AT&T number.  AT&T will cancel your account and you will be charged a $165 ETF fee...  Guess what?  I am going to be saving $85 by doing this!!!!

I recently started a company and just hired my first employee, and will need to be hiring 1-2 more employees probably by the end of the year.  I am going to be getting my employees phones for work and there is no way I am going to even consider AT&T.  So there you go AT&T, your lying employees lost you a personal account and at least one guarenteed business account.  I'm just gonna pay the $165 ETF and be done with you guys!

Message 1 of 52
Professor

Re: AT&T employees are liars!

you to.  have to fulfill 20 months of a 2 year contract.

Verizon has allowed me to upgrade my device every 12 months <--this is AT&T not Verizon,different companys different rules.

Message 2 of 52
Former Community Manager

Hi monaarts

I'm sorry you did not receive the correct information when you initially ordered your phone.

The standard upgrade period is 24 months, with that dropping to 20 months with AT&T Upgrade Advantage. There are many other factors that impact your upgrade eligibility. 

I am sorry to lose your business because of this but I wish you the best of luck in your new business venture. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 52
Tutor

Basically AT&T told me that my $100/month payment to them wasnt enough and that they value other customers better than me. 

Message 4 of 52
Tutor

I knwo this is AT&T and not Verizon, that is why I asked before I ordered the iPhone!

Message 5 of 52
Professor

yep 20 months of a 2 year contract. i pay good money to AT&T every month for 4 phones and i still have to wait the 20 months.

Message 6 of 52
Teacher

Ha I got you beat maybe. I've been an early iPhone adpater since the original came out. I have four lines total. I spend about 245 dollars monthly on these lines. I checked my eligibility and it's November 25th as well. I thought I had a premiere account but apparently not. You would think they might be a little flexible with their loyal customers. I've never been late on a bill and pY them hundreds a month and they push my upgrade back to the 25th of November. Wow. I can see Verizon as my future carrier after my contract is up. thanks ATT.
Message 7 of 52
Scholar

Wow so many of this same posts I just don't understand why Att can't push back the date for us by 1 month instead of telling us to wait a month. I would be happy if they at least allowed 1 account to upgrade early, but instead they are telling us to leave AT&T. Paying ETF is cheaper the upgrading. Insane!!!!!
Message 8 of 52
Professor

They are not telling anyone to leave. That's a choice people people may make just because they don't wait an extra month and a half. If people make that choice becasue they can't wait or are offended, and really believe things are better at Verizon, Sprint, etc, then they should go.

BTW, are Verizon or Sprint letting their customers upgrade early to get the 4S?
Message 9 of 52

@dwill05, Your question make sense in one regard but not in another. We are talking about iPhone to IPhone upgrades. Since Verizon didnt get the phone until January, I would assume they wouldn't allow anyone to upgrade, just as if I had bought my iPhone from AT&T in January I would assume to get preferential treatment. Since Sprint never had an iPhone, well, that's a moot point.
Message 10 of 52
Teacher

Actually the real issue is the fact that I was eligible for the upgrade but they decided to push back my upgrade for a month. Along with many others. That's just not right.
Message 11 of 52
Expert

graphite07 wrote:

you to.  have to fulfill 20 months of a 2 year contract.

Verizon has allowed me to upgrade my device every 12 months <--this is AT&T not Verizon,different companys different rules.

add to the fact that verizon dropped the 12 month upgrade ability from all but the top tier business accounts and those only if the authorized corporate agent orders the phone through the companies business portal

Message 12 of 52
Expert

dwill05 wrote:
They are not telling anyone to leave. That's a choice people people may make just because they don't wait an extra month and a half. If people make that choice becasue they can't wait or are offended, and really believe things are better at Verizon, Sprint, etc, then they should go.

BTW, are Verizon or Sprint letting their customers upgrade early to get the 4S?

Just looked on the verizon business portal, none of the Iphones that are on the account have had their upgrade dates changes, all of them are still late 2012

Message 13 of 52
Mentor

Why don't we wait till tomorrow to see if ATT changes their stance.  When I upgraded from the 3GS to the iPhone 4, I was able to upgrade early with a new 2 year contract, even though I had the 3GS for a year.  They didn't change the upgrade options until the day the pre-ordering began last year. 

I am not going to get my panties in a bundle until I go to order/upgrade tomorrow morning. 

Message 14 of 52
Professor

Typically, they put out an official notice that upgrades will be moved up. I'm thinking that unless there is an official announcement from ATT by the end of the day, it isn't going to happen.
Message 15 of 52
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support