Helpful Links

AT&T employees are liars!

Tutor

AT&T employees are liars!

I was a Verizon Wireless customer for 9 years and decided to switch to AT&T for the iPhone 4.  I called and spoke to someone about everything and I said to the person "Verizon has allowed me to upgrade my device every 12 months for just the price of the device on a 2 year contract... does AT&T do anything like this?"  The rep on the phone said "yes we do... in If you want to upgrade to a new iPhone after 12 months all you have to pay is the contract rate for the price and an activation fee (something like $15-20 she said)" and continued to process my iPhone 4 pre-order.

I called AT&T yesterday to ask them about when I can pre-order and the lady said "November 25th is when you can pre-order for the price of the device with a 2 year contract.  Before that date, there will be an additional $250 Early Upgrade Fee and an $18 activation fee charged as well."  After talking to her a little while longer she said "if you had a Premier account, I would be able to help you out!"  I told her that I DO HAVE A PREMIER ACCOUNT!!!  After looking through my account she realized that I DID have a premier account but wasnt able to help me without charging the $250 fee!

So, if you guys want an iPhone 4S with a better network (Sprint or Verizon, whichever you prefer), do what I am going to do.  Pre-order the iPhone 4S this Friday and port your AT&T number.  AT&T will cancel your account and you will be charged a $165 ETF fee...  Guess what?  I am going to be saving $85 by doing this!!!!

I recently started a company and just hired my first employee, and will need to be hiring 1-2 more employees probably by the end of the year.  I am going to be getting my employees phones for work and there is no way I am going to even consider AT&T.  So there you go AT&T, your lying employees lost you a personal account and at least one guarenteed business account.  I'm just gonna pay the $165 ETF and be done with you guys!

Message 1 of 52
Scholar

Re: AT&T employees are liars!

It never ceases to amaze me how people will voluntarily sign a contract agreeing to anything, and then feel like they don't have to abide by it down the road when it becomes inconvenient.

AT&T owes you nothing more than what was promised in the contract that YOU signed and YOU obligated yourself to be bound by.

Message 46 of 52
Contributor

I just found out about this 20 month ordeal myself. I bought a 3gs in June 2009 and upgraded to iphone 4 in June of 2010. 12 month period with no problem. I went to get new 4s and was told I had to pay $649!! Doesnt make a lot of sense for a new non-att customer to walk in the door and pay $399 for a new 64g and I have to pay $649. I dont think a lot of people have found this out yet, but when they do, they are going to be irate, especially the ones who wait in line on the 14th for 10-12 hours only to find out they have to pay $250 more. I think everyone should go to all complaint boards and best of all the Better Business Bureau and leave a nasty letter. Every letter the BBB gets is forwarded to ATT. Hopefully with enough complaints, ATT will change this policy. They are going to lose a lot of customers, myself included.

Message 47 of 52
Scholar

toys4phil wrote:

I just found out about this 20 month ordeal myself. I bought a 3gs in June 2009 and upgraded to iphone 4 in June of 2010. 12 month period with no problem. I went to get new 4s and was told I had to pay $649!! Doesnt make a lot of sense for a new non-att customer to walk in the door and pay $399 for a new 64g and I have to pay $649. I dont think a lot of people have found this out yet, but when they do, they are going to be irate, especially the ones who wait in line on the 14th for 10-12 hours only to find out they have to pay $250 more. I think everyone should go to all complaint boards and best of all the Better Business Bureau and leave a nasty letter. Every letter the BBB gets is forwarded to ATT. Hopefully with enough complaints, ATT will change this policy. They are going to lose a lot of customers, myself included.

You weren't eligible for an upgrade when you upgraded. AT&T allowed you to upgrade early. When you did so, you reset your upgrade period. That reset upgrade period is still running now, so you aren't eligible for upgrade pricing. That your upgrade period would be reset when you chose to accept the early upgrade for the 4 was spelled out to you in the fine print which you didn't seem to have read. 

AT&T ran that early upgrade thing with the 4, most likely to lock customers into new contracts prior to the Verizon launch which it likely knew was coming down the pike, in order to retain those customers. It isn't doing it with the 4S, and it isn't something that you are entitled to.

If you choose to leave now, you'll be paying the early termination fee. That's entirely your choice, but don't blame them for giving you a nice deal that came with strings attached that you couldn't be bothered to read about before you agreed to it.

Message 48 of 52
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Considering the longest contract time is 24 months then it is month to month, the person you talked to might be a tab bit confused. Maybe they waited 32 months before a upgrade, know people that have done that. The latest that person would have to waint for a upgrade would be 24 months.

Not confused man. I decided to wait 32 months before using my available upgrade. This was my decision based on the release schedule of previous Apple products. I knew that if I upgraded in Sept. or Oct. last year (the first time I4 was readily available in my area), I would not be able to upgrade this year. I actually had to wait a few months longer than I thought because I was expecting a July release for this phone. Others decided that they were going to upgrade to the I4 for their very own reasons.

I, as well as those who jumped on board with the I4, knew the upgrade schedule as it was set forth in our contract. In the past, AT&T might have moved their upgrade dates up for customers, establishing a pattern. Similar to the pattern of June/July release dates for Apple and the iPhone. Just as I was wrong on the release date, these people who aren't able to upgrade now were wrong on AT&T's willingness to give them an early upgrade. I have no legitimate claim against Apple because they chose to alter, well in their rights, the release schedule of their product. Just as these people have no legitimate claim against AT&T because they now choose to adhere to their established contract terms, again, well within their rights.

This is not a matter of AT&T lying, mistreating customers or being a general meanie. I refuse to give sympathy to someone who had access to all the information and had every opportunity to read and understand the contract that they were signing, just like I did. My technical prowess might be in question here, but I am clearly ready, willing and able to live with the decisions I make. All I ask is for others to grow up and do the same.

Message 49 of 52
Expert

browski wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Considering the longest contract time is 24 months then it is month to month, the person you talked to might be a tab bit confused. Maybe they waited 32 months before a upgrade, know people that have done that. The latest that person would have to waint for a upgrade would be 24 months.

Not confused man. I decided to wait 32 months before using my available upgrade. This was my decision based on the release schedule of previous Apple products. I knew that if I upgraded in Sept. or Oct. last year (the first time I4 was readily available in my area), I would not be able to upgrade this year. I actually had to wait a few months longer than I thought because I was expecting a July release for this phone. Others decided that they were going to upgrade to the I4 for their very own reasons.

I, as well as those who jumped on board with the I4, knew the upgrade schedule as it was set forth in our contract. In the past, AT&T might have moved their upgrade dates up for customers, establishing a pattern. Similar to the pattern of June/July release dates for Apple and the iPhone. Just as I was wrong on the release date, these people who aren't able to upgrade now were wrong on AT&T's willingness to give them an early upgrade. I have no legitimate claim against Apple because they chose to alter, well in their rights, the release schedule of their product. Just as these people have no legitimate claim against AT&T because they now choose to adhere to their established contract terms, again, well within their rights.

This is not a matter of AT&T lying, mistreating customers or being a general meanie. I refuse to give sympathy to someone who had access to all the information and had every opportunity to read and understand the contract that they were signing, just like I did. My technical prowess might be in question here, but I am clearly ready, willing and able to live with the decisions I make. All I ask is for others to grow up and do the same.

first lets clear things up - this response was to what was spouted by yozhbk and not you. Thanks for verifying thee simple fact that is was YOUR choice and not ATT's doing

You are preaching to the choir with what you say - in this and every upgrade senario it is documented in the terms of service and the upgrade eligibilty document, previously ATT decided to give a perk to iphone users by allowing them to upgrade early, this time the decided not to - the threads indicate said users believe it is thier right to get the early upgrade and that att needs to do it again - this is the crux of the whole matter. ATT is doing nothing that is not in their terms, someone posted that verizon was allowing it - this is incorrect also that was obtained when they first got the iphone, they did not change the upgrade eligibility.

Message 50 of 52
Professor

wow to much Drama on here. no one has to upgrade if they do not want to. to some the Iphone4S is amazing device.

some want the iphone 5 with bigger screen. when the Iphone4 hit everyone wanted a different look becuase the 3GS style was getting old. now the 4S is coming out same style same Design. now people think ohh we just have another boring Iphone4. it has different hardware better camera and video. some do not  think that's enought to upgrade to the same ol boring looking Iphone4. 

why have a super long debate over another users wait time to upgrade?  or argue about the look of the 4S. if the Iphone4S is not what your looking for just wait until the next release. do not aruge about it or bash others. 

Message 51 of 52
Highlighted

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 52 of 52
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Additional Support