Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 12, 2011
11:53:48 AM
View profile
AT&T deducted all my balance

Not sure if this happened to anyone else before. But today I discovered all the balance of my prepaid account ($20+) was deducted and thus I could use my phone at all without getting it refilled. Checking the account history, I found all the amount was taken away three days ago with no apparent explanation (it only shows "Adjustment").

Called AT&T customer service, they could not figure it out after an hour of conversation (and on hold). It was a joke intially that they could credit me back with $1 (yes, one dollar) so that I can make/receive calls.

Of course, this is unacceptable. I insisted, and they credited me back with $7 and will do some research (they already researched for an hour while I was put on hold) and call me back next week with their finding.

I just told the srevice rep. that AT&T is sinking. They took away money  (at their will) without sending out a notifcation. And, when the time comes that we asked for our own money back to the account, they refused to do so.

BTW, I offered a theory to them. My balance won't expired until the 8th next month (december), and they took the money away on the 8th of this month. I suspected it was a comptuer error.

So, if you have not, you may want to check your account and see if you still have any money left.

Not sure if this happened to anyone else before. But today I discovered all the balance of my prepaid account ($20+) was deducted and thus I could use my phone at all without getting it refilled. Checking the account history, I found all the amount was taken away three days ago with no apparent explanation (it only shows "Adjustment").

Called AT&T customer service, they could not figure it out after an hour of conversation (and on hold). It was a joke intially that they could credit me back with $1 (yes, one dollar) so that I can make/receive calls.

Of course, this is unacceptable. I insisted, and they credited me back with $7 and will do some research (they already researched for an hour while I was put on hold) and call me back next week with their finding.

I just told the srevice rep. that AT&T is sinking. They took away money  (at their will) without sending out a notifcation. And, when the time comes that we asked for our own money back to the account, they refused to do so.

BTW, I offered a theory to them. My balance won't expired until the 8th next month (december), and they took the money away on the 8th of this month. I suspected it was a comptuer error.

So, if you have not, you may want to check your account and see if you still have any money left.

AT&T deducted all my balance

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2011 3:57:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Wish u good luck. I just checked that my bal is ok.
Wish u good luck. I just checked that my bal is ok.

Re: AT&T deducted all my balance

2 of 10 (302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2011 7:04:30 PM
(0)
Master
I checked my balance a few hours ago and I still have my $5.35.

Which rate plan are you currently on? You did not switch to the new $25/month plan, did you?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Which rate plan are you currently on? You did not switch to the new $25/month plan, did you?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

3 of 10 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2011 7:58:18 PM
(0)
Guru

That's one of the reasons I check my account balance on a regular basis, if there's something amiss I'm able to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.

That's one of the reasons I check my account balance on a regular basis, if there's something amiss I'm able to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.

4 of 10 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 4:08:18 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by just4info on Nov 13, 2011 at 4:09:41 AM

Wild Banchi wrote:

It's 10¢ per Minute Plan. I used texting most of the time. (I buy either 1000 or 200 texting messages each month).  

No, I did not swtich to anther plan.

Wild Banchi wrote:

It's 10¢ per Minute Plan. I used texting most of the time. (I buy either 1000 or 200 texting messages each month).  

No, I did not swtich to anther plan.

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 6:27:19 AM
(0)
Master
Okay. That's the same plan I'm on and the same thing I do. Smiley Happy

I just can't think of a legitimate reason why AT&T would deduct all of the money in your account. You do not have auto renewal set up for one of those text messaging plans, do you? I can't really think of any other feature that would subtract money from your account balance.

I just can't think of a legitimate reason why AT&T would deduct all of the money in your account. You do not have auto renewal set up for one of those text messaging plans, do you? I can't really think of any other feature that would subtract money from your account balance.

6 of 10 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 2:06:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wild Banchi wrote:

no auto renewal or anything that would setup to deduct money. (no voice call either). It was a complete wipeout of $23.XX from my account.

When I called AT&T, they were not able to figure it out either after an hour while I was on the phone. When i asked for supervisor, they asked me to wait for an available supervisor. Then, I sugegsted that please just credit me $7 for now (as i could use $5 to purchase 200 messages, plus a couple of dollars to make call),and the service rep. said she could do it if I don't need to speak to a supervisor. That is strange to me, but I did not want to wait any longer, and we reached the "deal".BTW, the service rep, wasn't rude or anything, and I think she wasn't so sure what to do or what she could do with her authority.

Luckily, this time I did not maintain more money in my account (only$23.XX left).

Wild Banchi wrote:

no auto renewal or anything that would setup to deduct money. (no voice call either). It was a complete wipeout of $23.XX from my account.

When I called AT&T, they were not able to figure it out either after an hour while I was on the phone. When i asked for supervisor, they asked me to wait for an available supervisor. Then, I sugegsted that please just credit me $7 for now (as i could use $5 to purchase 200 messages, plus a couple of dollars to make call),and the service rep. said she could do it if I don't need to speak to a supervisor. That is strange to me, but I did not want to wait any longer, and we reached the "deal".BTW, the service rep, wasn't rude or anything, and I think she wasn't so sure what to do or what she could do with her authority.

Luckily, this time I did not maintain more money in my account (only$23.XX left).

7 of 10 (268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 5:44:07 PM
(0)
Master
I honestly don't know how that could have happened. Either way, I would certainly be frustrated and I hope that this does not happen again to your nor anyone else.

I honestly don't know how that could have happened. Either way, I would certainly be frustrated and I hope that this does not happen again to your nor anyone else.

8 of 10 (258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 7:58:00 PM
(0)
Professor
Sure hope it will not happen to anyone else. Keeping a low balance is a great idea.
Sure hope it will not happen to anyone else. Keeping a low balance is a great idea.

9 of 10 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 11:52:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

Computer error?  Who do you think tells the computer what to do?  People.  

It does sound like the system could use improvement - to keep people from altering balances.  Are you listening AT&T?

Computer error?  Who do you think tells the computer what to do?  People.  

It does sound like the system could use improvement - to keep people from altering balances.  Are you listening AT&T?

10 of 10 (226 Views)