Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 1, 2009
4:39:43 PM
AT&T and Credit Score/History

Why does AT&T check credit history/score when opening a new account, require a $500 for someone without credit, but then not report to the credit agencies when I pay my bills on time? That upsets me greatly. I've had AT&T for over a year and this whole time I thought it was adding to my credit score. But apparently it does not.

If you don't care enough about my credit score to report when I pay my bills, then you should not care enough to check my credit when I open an account nor require a deposit if I lack a credit history. If there's someway I could sue you over this, I would. But I guess you're lucky with all your fine print and the fact that the government cares more about protecting companies with questionable practices than hard-working individuals.

Why does AT&T check credit history/score when opening a new account, require a $500 for someone without credit, but then not report to the credit agencies when I pay my bills on time? That upsets me greatly. I've had AT&T for over a year and this whole time I thought it was adding to my credit score. But apparently it does not.

If you don't care enough about my credit score to report when I pay my bills, then you should not care enough to check my credit when I open an account nor require a deposit if I lack a credit history. If there's someway I could sue you over this, I would. But I guess you're lucky with all your fine print and the fact that the government cares more about protecting companies with questionable practices than hard-working individuals.

AT&T and Credit Score/History

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2009 6:14:35 PM
(0)
Master

AT&T will actually report to the credit bureaus if your account is ever written off for bad debt.

Is that "caring enough"?

All wireless carriers will check credit, even if they don't report to the bureaus regularly, why?  Because people can run up thousands of dollars and then turn around and not pay their bill.  Its all about risk assessment.  Only way you're going to get around a credit check is to go prepaid, or get someone else to put the service in their name.

AT&T will actually report to the credit bureaus if your account is ever written off for bad debt.

Is that "caring enough"?

All wireless carriers will check credit, even if they don't report to the bureaus regularly, why?  Because people can run up thousands of dollars and then turn around and not pay their bill.  Its all about risk assessment.  Only way you're going to get around a credit check is to go prepaid, or get someone else to put the service in their name.

Re: AT&T and Credit Score/History

2 of 4 (3,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2009 1:39:06 PM
(0)
Guru
AT&T as well as the other cell carriers & even other business run credit evals to determine a possibility of how you'd do w/ their services if they accept you. The credit eval only determines the deposit but the companies don't put any missed payments, late payments, on time or even early payments to no one but it's for their billing system purposes. Imagine if they did & you called in for a bill extension although you make your payment it's still a late payment & that'd effect your credit rating & score. See what I mean. also even if you run up a bill w/ AT&T or anyone they don't report anything on your credit report or to the credit bureaus. They send your account to an outside collection agency to handle the collection of the debt & if you don't pay them (the collection agency) they report the account to the credit bureaus!!!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
AT&T as well as the other cell carriers & even other business run credit evals to determine a possibility of how you'd do w/ their services if they accept you. The credit eval only determines the deposit but the companies don't put any missed payments, late payments, on time or even early payments to no one but it's for their billing system purposes. Imagine if they did & you called in for a bill extension although you make your payment it's still a late payment & that'd effect your credit rating & score. See what I mean. also even if you run up a bill w/ AT&T or anyone they don't report anything on your credit report or to the credit bureaus. They send your account to an outside collection agency to handle the collection of the debt & if you don't pay them (the collection agency) they report the account to the credit bureaus!!!

3 of 4 (3,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2009 8:34:52 PM
(0)
Guru
My credit was trashed by my family running up bills on services they signed up for in my name, and I still had zero deposit when I signed up for new service with AT&T in May.

Difference must be, when I started making decent money, I made efforts to pay off these debts every time a collector offered me a huge discount on the outstanding balances I had nothing to do with.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
My credit was trashed by my family running up bills on services they signed up for in my name, and I still had zero deposit when I signed up for new service with AT&T in May.

Difference must be, when I started making decent money, I made efforts to pay off these debts every time a collector offered me a huge discount on the outstanding balances I had nothing to do with.

4 of 4 (3,780 Views)