AT&T adds additional charged to bill that we don't know of?

AT&T adds additional charged to bill that we don't know of?

I had my iPhone 3GS for 2 months now. First bill I was charged $180+ which includes, $10 100 international texts, $10 1000 texts, $15 data plan, $9.99 additional line, $36 activation fee, taxes and I don't know how it got to be $180+. Anyway, I was expecting around $45 for my total bill including taxes. Instead, I was charged $75.99 for subrscribing to wallpapers, ringtones and games. Which I never did. I called AT&T and told them I never subrscribed to anything. I found out that they just add stuff to your bill and sometimes without looking or noticing, we pay more than we should. Anyway, AT&T took off the $39.99 over charge off this months bill and last months bill too. They also blocked those number or subscription so I won't be charged again. That's why my first months bill was so high.

Question is, why do AT&T add stuff to your account or bill without informing you?
Message 1 of 9 (819 Views)
Expert

Re: AT&T adds additional charged to bill that we don't know of?

[ Edited ]

pink_khryztal wrote:
I had my iPhone 3GS for 2 months now. First bill I was charged $180+ which includes, $10 100 international texts, $10 1000 texts, $15 data plan, $9.99 additional line, $36 activation fee, taxes and I don't know how it got to be $180+. Anyway, I was expecting around $45 for my total bill including taxes. Instead, I was charged $75.99 for subrscribing to wallpapers, ringtones and games. Which I never did. I called AT&T and told them I never subrscribed to anything. I found out that they just add stuff to your bill and sometimes without looking or noticing, we pay more than we should. Anyway, AT&T took off the $39.99 over charge off this months bill and last months bill too. They also blocked those number or subscription so I won't be charged again. That's why my first months bill was so high.

Question is, why do AT&T add stuff to your account or bill without informing you?

ATT did not add those charges, when you went to the sites that allowed you to download "free" ringtones, wall papers games you accepted their terms - buried within all the text from the place you downloaded the free items from is a subscription statement that pretty much gave then the right to apply the charge to your phone bill every month, if you did not read the agreement form the "free" download company you missed it - in the game of the offers of "free" downloads for ringtones, wallpapers, etc there is no such thing, there are always strings attached. In the end you did authorize att to add those charges by agreeing to the 3rd party companies terms of service

Message 2 of 9 (806 Views)

The only place I download is through iTunes. I also read before downloading. I haven't registered to any 3rd party sites. I was being charged on the first month bill when I got the phone in the mid month of March.

Anyway, AT&T was nice enough to remove the charges on both of my bills. They also blocked the number or something so I won't be charged again.
Message 3 of 9 (800 Views)

[ Edited ]
I don't know, but the fact that you said...

pink_khryztal wrote:
They also blocked those number or subscription so I won't be charged again. 

...tells me you did indeed subscribe to those things.

Message 4 of 9 (792 Views)
Tutor

They did similar thing to my plan. If I hadn't noticed the charges, they would have pocketed all that EASY money. Guess how many customers ATT has fooled in that way. There are lot of people who have AutoPay and seldom care to look at their bills. Ever been able to understand an ATT bill? It is harder than my college Calculus.

Message 5 of 9 (787 Views)
Expert

pink_khryztal wrote:
The only place I download is through iTunes. I also read before downloading. I haven't registered to any 3rd party sites. I was being charged on the first month bill when I got the phone in the mid month of March.

Anyway, AT&T was nice enough to remove the charges on both of my bills. They also blocked the number or something so I won't be charged again.

ringtones are not free through Itunes - you pay Apple to get them, you don;t have to "register" at a 3rd party site to agree to the terms, they already have your mobile number and they send a standard notification about downloading the item - buried in the document is a little blurb that states by agreeing to this you will agree to the subscription cost.

Message 6 of 9 (781 Views)
Expert

yogesh81 wrote:

They did similar thing to my plan. If I hadn't noticed the charges, they would have pocketed all that EASY money. Guess how many customers ATT has fooled in that way. There are lot of people who have AutoPay and seldom care to look at their bills. Ever been able to understand an ATT bill? It is harder than my college Calculus.

It is NOT ATT that is keepoing the money - the 3rd party site bills you through your agreement to their buried terms, ATT just pass the charge from the 3rd party site on to you.

Message 7 of 9 (780 Views)

I haven't downloaded any music from iTunes. I just use iTunes for transfering my photos and videos to the computer or from the computer. Also, I only install free apps from the App Store.
Message 8 of 9 (763 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

pink_khryztal wrote:
I haven't downloaded any music from iTunes. I just use iTunes for transfering my photos and videos to the computer or from the computer. Also, I only install free apps from the App Store.

It's possible that whom ever had that phone number before you was subscribed to those service and had the line canceled without unsubscribing to the services.

Message 9 of 9 (745 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.