AT&T Xpress Mail is a Crock... Unable to Connect to Network Because I don't Have a Data Plan???

Contributor

AT&T Xpress Mail is a Crock... Unable to Connect to Network Because I don't Have a Data Plan???

[ Edited ]
For the past two months, I have been using my Blackjack II to access my Gmail through Xpress Mail without any issues. Just today, I started receiving error message S7111: Please check your data connection and try again.

After calling technical support, and speaking with a "knowledgeable and friendly" (aka, completely useless and rude woman named Vanessa), she said that I could not longer access my email because I don't have a data plan. Mind you, I was required to sign up for the UNLIMITED MEDIA NET PLAN when I purchased the phone, the service rep advised me that "things have changed," and now AT&T requires a separate data plan.

(Keep it courteous) is she talking about??? Naturally, I asked for a manager, and they were conveniently in a meeting at the time I called. My only consolation is to upgrade my media net plan (which apparently, no longer doubles as a data plan) or visit a location to escalate my issue.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Message Edited by scoobydoo on 03-28-2008 12:15:38 AM
Message 1 of 4 (4,214 Views)
Master

Re: ...Unable to Connect to Network Because I don't Have a Data Plan???

If you were on a MediaNet plan, that was the wrong data plan for your phone.  Sorry to say that poorly trained reps were a problem and many had sold Smartphone/PDA phones with the wrong data plan.  (Reports of a bad sales rep pop up occasionally, but not as much as it did when the Blackjacks first came out.)  It appears that AT&T is auditing accounts more often and so your account had probably been affected.

In any case, you do not need a data plan in order to have Xpressmail.  However, because the point of Xpressmail is to deliver your mail more quickly to your device, you will almost certainly be using a lot of data, which means that not having a data plan will probably be expensive.  So you can either have customer service set you to pay-as-you-go data, charged at $0.01/kB, (not recommended,) or you can sign up for one of the PDA data plans or Laptop Data Connect, which are the only plans that cover data used by your device.
Message 2 of 4 (4,210 Views)
Tutor

asatoran are you are you sure about that? I thought xpress mail is free only with an unlimited data plan/feature and 4.99 per mo without.
Message 3 of 4 (4,000 Views)
Highlighted
Master

darCal wrote:
asatoran are you are you sure about that? I thought xpress mail is free only with an unlimited data plan/feature and 4.99 per mo without.

Yes, AFAIK, that is correct. But a data plan is still not *required* AFAIK, although using Xpressmail without a data plan will probably mean very high data charges. So if the user is willing to pay, then they are free to do so. But they need to be careful about how their phone connects when getting their email. Since the point of Xpressmail is to retreive the email at any time, unless you have a Wi-Fi phone and are always near a Wi-Fi hotpot, your phone will connecting to the cellular data service a lot. Thus it is best to have an unlimited data plan if you have Xpressmail.
Message 4 of 4 (3,983 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support