AT&T USB Connect 881 problems with Leopard?

Contributor

AT&T USB Connect 881 problems with Leopard?

I assisted a friend of mine yesterday to get an AT&T USB Connect 881 from an AT&T corporate store. The rep was new, as she couldn't even figure out how to put in the SIM card, and after the fact of getting it we get home to find that she completely screwed up the billing by adding the $79.99 package onto my friend's account instead of the $59.99 one that she gets since she already has a voice plan. After getting the billing ordeal straightened out, we had some issues with getting the card setup on her Leopard Macbook. She plugged it in via USB and it failed to recgonize the device drivers. So we downloaded the Sierra Watcher program and it gave us a little trouble at first, but after a couple reboots it started working, but under roaming conditions. We ventured down the road a little and acquired a 3G signal, but every once in a while she will see her indicator light on the card go from green to red for about 15 seconds, and then back to green. Is there any problem with that? I would assume that the red light would indicate a problem, but I'm not sure. I just wanted to make sure she was not going to have any further issues with getting connected once I leave. She does mobile broadcasting with her iSight camera, so will AT&T get on to her about excessive data usage as well?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 7 (13,613 Views)
Former Moderator

Re: AT&T USB Connect 881 problems with Leopard?

ZeroPing wrote:
I assisted a friend of mine yesterday to get an AT&T USB Connect 881 from an AT&T corporate store. The rep was new, as she couldn't even figure out how to put in the SIM card, and after the fact of getting it we get home to find that she completely screwed up the billing by adding the $79.99 package onto my friend's account instead of the $59.99 one that she gets since she already has a voice plan. After getting the billing ordeal straightened out, we had some issues with getting the card setup on her Leopard Macbook. She plugged it in via USB and it failed to recgonize the device drivers. So we downloaded the Sierra Watcher program and it gave us a little trouble at first, but after a couple reboots it started working, but under roaming conditions. We ventured down the road a little and acquired a 3G signal, but every once in a while she will see her indicator light on the card go from green to red for about 15 seconds, and then back to green. Is there any problem with that? I would assume that the red light would indicate a problem, but I'm not sure. I just wanted to make sure she was not going to have any further issues with getting connected once I leave. She does mobile broadcasting with her iSight camera, so will AT&T get on to her about excessive data usage as well?

Thanks.

This might help.  Depending on the area the device could be drawing more than the 5.5v that a standard USB port can provide and the battery may be low.  Try leaving the device plugged in for a couple of hours to let it charge fully.  It should be noted though that a low battery will generally not affect your connectivity.

Message 2 of 7 (13,586 Views)
Tutor

I have the USBconnect 881 running on a Macbook Pro with Leopard.  I do not have the challenge you describe.  What have found is that if I do not phycically exit SierraWatcher and wait a couple of seconds to extract the card from the usb port, I get a kernel crash.

Message 3 of 7 (13,526 Views)
Former Moderator

usvi4me wrote:
I have the USBconnect 881 running on a Macbook Pro with Leopard.  I do not have the challenge you describe.  What have found is that if I do not phycically exit SierraWatcher and wait a couple of seconds to extract the card from the usb port, I get a kernel crash.

Did you just recently upgrade to Leopard?  I have found that users who upgrade to Leopard receive a Fatal Error (I know it's not the same as a kernel dump) if they did not uninstall their old Watcher and upgrade to version 2.0.4 or later. 
Message 4 of 7 (13,515 Views)
Tutor

Nope, this was a fresh install in Leopard.  Just received the 881U. Great card.
Message 5 of 7 (13,502 Views)
Contributor

Three months ago, I had a Sierra Data 875U, running on a MacBook with MAC O.S. 10.4. I never had connection problems - consistently connected to the 3G network, and experienced acceptable upload / download rates (300-500 kbps up, ~100 kbps down). Unfortunately, the modem and laptop were recently stolen, so I replaced them with a Sierra Data 881U (which is the new (and supposedly faster) version of the 875U), and a new MacBook, running Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard). With the new equipment, working from the SAME locations, I can almost NEVER connect to the 3G network, and even when I do, the data transfer rates are abysmal - 100 kbps down, and 50 up. I've spent HOURS on the phone with ATT technical support, but so far NO IMPROVEMENT. I'd prefer to fix the problem, but at this point, I'm ready to move to another provider - unfortunately, ATT wants to charge me $175 to cancel the contract.
Message 6 of 7 (12,815 Views)
Mentor

I used my card on my mac that has not been upgraded to leopard. Then I used it on a windows machine, and when I went back to the Mac it is now giving the "fatal error" message. I am using 2.0.4 of the watcher software. Any ideas?
droopy, W3JJC
Message 7 of 7 (12,006 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.