Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 19, 2011
2:44:08 PM
View profile
* * *AT&T REMOVES ANDROID APP RESTRICTIONS * * * 5/19 2011
Edited by RicoLX on May 19, 2011 at 2:56:03 PM

Finally!  You go!, Mamma Bell!

AT&T removes android applications restrictions  .  This CNN article refers to our very own ATT Wireless Forum , quoting some of you lucky dawgs comments regarding Amazon Appstore debut and how ATT would not allow us access. So the article says thanks goes actually to Amazon for pushing this change in policy. But Mama Bell, we still say thanks for losening the "choke hold" on us for so long.

Finally!  You go!, Mamma Bell!

AT&T removes android applications restrictions  .  This CNN article refers to our very own ATT Wireless Forum , quoting some of you lucky dawgs comments regarding Amazon Appstore debut and how ATT would not allow us access. So the article says thanks goes actually to Amazon for pushing this change in policy. But Mama Bell, we still say thanks for losening the "choke hold" on us for so long.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

* * *AT&T REMOVES ANDROID APP RESTRICTIONS * * * 5/19 2011

[ Edited ]
21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2011 3:05:18 PM
(0)
Professor

Not to boast, but my trusty, 'right hand man' (left handed actually). Dell Streak could always load amazon apps and other sideloads. It wasnt caught in the ATT choke (whew!)

Not to boast, but my trusty, 'right hand man' (left handed actually). Dell Streak could always load amazon apps and other sideloads. It wasnt caught in the ATT choke (whew!)

Re: * * *AT&T REMOVES ANDROID APP RESTRICTIONS * * * 5/19 2011

2 of 22 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2011 5:32:00 PM
(0)
Master
They were sneaky and put the announcement in the Business Community. Smiley Sad

http://bizcommunity.att.com/t5/Android/Android-Application-Enablement/m-p/2350
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
They were sneaky and put the announcement in the Business Community. Smiley Sad

http://bizcommunity.att.com/t5/Android/Android-Application-Enablement/m-p/2350
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 22 (1,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 19, 2011 5:39:31 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on May 19, 2011 at 5:44:16 PM

Makes you wonder why they wouldnt make the announcement more visible to the wireless users in general. That was pretty sneaky. Smiley Sad

Makes you wonder why they wouldnt make the announcement more visible to the wireless users in general. That was pretty sneaky. Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]
4 of 22 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 9:43:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

I gave myself the "Unknown Sources" checkbox awhile ago. But, kudos to ATT for finally removing this restriction. I bet this is one of many concessions ATT will make to grease the T-Mobile regulatory acquistion wheels.

I gave myself the "Unknown Sources" checkbox awhile ago. But, kudos to ATT for finally removing this restriction. I bet this is one of many concessions ATT will make to grease the T-Mobile regulatory acquistion wheels.

5 of 22 (1,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 9:48:14 AM
(0)
Master
And to appease the the corporate users with their custom security Apps and Amazon.
And to appease the the corporate users with their custom security Apps and Amazon.

6 of 22 (1,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 10:12:05 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on May 20, 2011 at 10:14:23 AM

Thats who reeely pushd the action to unlock.... The big spenders... Corporations not going for the restrictions. My company is one of them. We have a few custom apps att had to allow. Can only imagine that compounded by large accounts.... Soooooo, in reality, us minions still dont amount to a handful of beens. We are just benefitting from the crumbs fell from the table.. Lol (kidding, but feels right just saying it) Smiley Very HappyRobot Indifferent

Thats who reeely pushd the action to unlock.... The big spenders... Corporations not going for the restrictions. My company is one of them. We have a few custom apps att had to allow. Can only imagine that compounded by large accounts.... Soooooo, in reality, us minions still dont amount to a handful of beens. We are just benefitting from the crumbs fell from the table.. Lol (kidding, but feels right just saying it) Smiley Very HappyRobot Indifferent

[ Edited ]
7 of 22 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 11:06:30 AM
(0)
Master
Us minions count when you have to call the corporate IT department support line to ask for help with setting up the exchange email. Every single one of those support calls add up. When the bigwigs start looking at the costs associated with working around the restriction, the numbers probably added up to big numbers.
Us minions count when you have to call the corporate IT department support line to ask for help with setting up the exchange email. Every single one of those support calls add up. When the bigwigs start looking at the costs associated with working around the restriction, the numbers probably added up to big numbers.

8 of 22 (1,334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 11:11:26 AM
(0)
Professor
Are you referring to making corporate calls too AttSupport? Thats what i was talking about, us minions with personal wireless accounts not big enuff to influence the recent att decision, but, rather, we may get to benefit from att deciding to unlock for the sake of keeping larger accounts... Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink
Are you referring to making corporate calls too AttSupport? Thats what i was talking about, us minions with personal wireless accounts not big enuff to influence the recent att decision, but, rather, we may get to benefit from att deciding to unlock for the sake of keeping larger accounts... Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

9 of 22 (1,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 11:35:12 AM
(0)
Master
True, but there are users with their own personal accounts that get their company email on their phones. It still means a call to their company support for the setup. The IT person calls for help from the AT&T support.

Then there are users who have a personal line and a company assigned phone. Two phones. The company phone is still set up by the IT department support for exchange email sync, associated security software. A Sprint, Tmo or VZW might take X minutes to set up and if it takes 3X minutes (3 times longer) to download the drivers for sideloading through ADB or Android Central's Sideload Wonder Machine and add the software for an AT&T phone, the company IT could refuse to use AT&T android phones.
True, but there are users with their own personal accounts that get their company email on their phones. It still means a call to their company support for the setup. The IT person calls for help from the AT&T support.

Then there are users who have a personal line and a company assigned phone. Two phones. The company phone is still set up by the IT department support for exchange email sync, associated security software. A Sprint, Tmo or VZW might take X minutes to set up and if it takes 3X minutes (3 times longer) to download the drivers for sideloading through ADB or Android Central's Sideload Wonder Machine and add the software for an AT&T phone, the company IT could refuse to use AT&T android phones.

10 of 22 (1,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 11:51:47 AM
(0)
Professor
Ann(droid154), i agree 100%. Totally get the technical side of the picture too. Smiley Wink
Ann(droid154), i agree 100%. Totally get the technical side of the picture too. Smiley Wink

11 of 22 (695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 2:40:58 PM
(0)
Master
Now, RicoLX, aren't you glad you got TED iii instead of one of the AT&T branded ones. Smiley Wink

(BTW what does TED mean anyway?)
Now, RicoLX, aren't you glad you got TED iii instead of one of the AT&T branded ones. Smiley Wink

(BTW what does TED mean anyway?)

12 of 22 (685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 2:59:14 PM
(0)
Professor
Oh BIG TIME! From day one, after simply turning it on, i was surprisingly liberated! ! ! No att bloat, none of that. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

TED-III ? You might wanna take a dare and venture over to the "CELL PHONE SIMETERY" ..or the "in memory of..." discussion. Watch out for that S.A.M.-II ! Oh, and I would keep an eye out for a ghost ryding around on a harley....

(...youve been warned....Smiley Wink )
Oh BIG TIME! From day one, after simply turning it on, i was surprisingly liberated! ! ! No att bloat, none of that. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

TED-III ? You might wanna take a dare and venture over to the "CELL PHONE SIMETERY" ..or the "in memory of..." discussion. Watch out for that S.A.M.-II ! Oh, and I would keep an eye out for a ghost ryding around on a harley....

(...youve been warned....Smiley Wink )

13 of 22 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 3:18:04 PM
(0)
Master
You'll have to resurrect those discussions first. I think they have gotten buried.

ATT is not the only one with bloat on their phones. I would love to uninstall the 131 mb game that is preinstalled on the Tbolt.
You'll have to resurrect those discussions first. I think they have gotten buried.

ATT is not the only one with bloat on their phones. I would love to uninstall the 131 mb game that is preinstalled on the Tbolt.

14 of 22 (677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2011 3:39:44 PM
(0)
Professor
Here is the Link . Visit at your own risk.... Smiley Wink Yes, there are some Dell bloat, but fewer than and not nearly half of what i had on my att phones. Some of the dell stuff, i actually use.
Here is the Link . Visit at your own risk.... Smiley Wink Yes, there are some Dell bloat, but fewer than and not nearly half of what i had on my att phones. Some of the dell stuff, i actually use.

15 of 22 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 12:21:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

So when is this option coming to my Atrix?

So when is this option coming to my Atrix?

16 of 22 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2011 7:15:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

Sideloading is coming to the Atrix this summer (possibly late June/July) along with the update to Gingerbread 2.3.3

Sideloading is coming to the Atrix this summer (possibly late June/July) along with the update to Gingerbread 2.3.3

17 of 22 (537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2011 7:45:20 AM
(0)
Professor
Theresva way to activate the EMList on the device that should get you to the unauthorized app setting. This works even on unrooted devices.
Theresva way to activate the EMList on the device that should get you to the unauthorized app setting. This works even on unrooted devices.

18 of 22 (534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 3:33:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Any info on this in relation to the Streak? As I understood it, the 'fake' 2.2.2 update that came out over a month ago locked the phone down again. I don't have too much faith ATT will follow through on this, beyond basic public policy.

Any info on this in relation to the Streak? As I understood it, the 'fake' 2.2.2 update that came out over a month ago locked the phone down again. I don't have too much faith ATT will follow through on this, beyond basic public policy.

19 of 22 (505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 3:40:15 PM
(0)
Professor
Diagoro, you still on 2.2 despite the update?.... pm me, might be able to walk u thru accesding the unauth app setting
Diagoro, you still on 2.2 despite the update?.... pm me, might be able to walk u thru accesding the unauth app setting

20 of 22 (503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 4:22:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

I haven't installed the recent update from ATT (icon still sits there). I heard it was primarily blot ware, so never bothered.....

I haven't installed the recent update from ATT (icon still sits there). I heard it was primarily blot ware, so never bothered.....

21 of 22 (490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 4:36:55 PM
(0)
Professor
You are right. Dont bother with that update. A coworker proceeded and now hes got glitches galore. Do you have LauncherPro installed?
You are right. Dont bother with that update. A coworker proceeded and now hes got glitches galore. Do you have LauncherPro installed?

22 of 22 (484 Views)