* * *AT&T REMOVES ANDROID APP RESTRICTIONS * * * 5/19 2011

Professor

* * *AT&T REMOVES ANDROID APP RESTRICTIONS * * * 5/19 2011

[ Edited ]

Finally!  You go!, Mamma Bell!

AT&T removes android applications restrictions  .  This CNN article refers to our very own ATT Wireless Forum , quoting some of you lucky dawgs comments regarding Amazon Appstore debut and how ATT would not allow us access. So the article says thanks goes actually to Amazon for pushing this change in policy. But Mama Bell, we still say thanks for losening the "choke hold" on us for so long.

Message 1 of 22 (1,435 Views)
Professor

Re: * * *AT&T REMOVES ANDROID APP RESTRICTIONS * * * 5/19 2011

Not to boast, but my trusty, 'right hand man' (left handed actually). Dell Streak could always load amazon apps and other sideloads. It wasnt caught in the ATT choke (whew!)

Message 2 of 22 (1,420 Views)
Master

They were sneaky and put the announcement in the Business Community. Smiley Sad

http://bizcommunity.att.com/t5/Android/Android-Application-Enablement/m-p/2350
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 22 (1,403 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Makes you wonder why they wouldnt make the announcement more visible to the wireless users in general. That was pretty sneaky. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 22 (1,401 Views)
Scholar

I gave myself the "Unknown Sources" checkbox awhile ago. But, kudos to ATT for finally removing this restriction. I bet this is one of many concessions ATT will make to grease the T-Mobile regulatory acquistion wheels.

Message 5 of 22 (1,372 Views)
Master

And to appease the the corporate users with their custom security Apps and Amazon.
Message 6 of 22 (1,367 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Thats who reeely pushd the action to unlock.... The big spenders... Corporations not going for the restrictions. My company is one of them. We have a few custom apps att had to allow. Can only imagine that compounded by large accounts.... Soooooo, in reality, us minions still dont amount to a handful of beens. We are just benefitting from the crumbs fell from the table.. Lol (kidding, but feels right just saying it) Smiley Very HappyRobot Indifferent

Message 7 of 22 (1,365 Views)
Master

Us minions count when you have to call the corporate IT department support line to ask for help with setting up the exchange email. Every single one of those support calls add up. When the bigwigs start looking at the costs associated with working around the restriction, the numbers probably added up to big numbers.
Message 8 of 22 (1,357 Views)
Professor

Are you referring to making corporate calls too AttSupport? Thats what i was talking about, us minions with personal wireless accounts not big enuff to influence the recent att decision, but, rather, we may get to benefit from att deciding to unlock for the sake of keeping larger accounts... Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 22 (1,355 Views)
Master

True, but there are users with their own personal accounts that get their company email on their phones. It still means a call to their company support for the setup. The IT person calls for help from the AT&T support.

Then there are users who have a personal line and a company assigned phone. Two phones. The company phone is still set up by the IT department support for exchange email sync, associated security software. A Sprint, Tmo or VZW might take X minutes to set up and if it takes 3X minutes (3 times longer) to download the drivers for sideloading through ADB or Android Central's Sideload Wonder Machine and add the software for an AT&T phone, the company IT could refuse to use AT&T android phones.
Message 10 of 22 (1,351 Views)
Professor

Ann(droid154), i agree 100%. Totally get the technical side of the picture too. Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 22 (718 Views)
Master

Now, RicoLX, aren't you glad you got TED iii instead of one of the AT&T branded ones. Smiley Wink

(BTW what does TED mean anyway?)
Message 12 of 22 (708 Views)
Professor

Oh BIG TIME! From day one, after simply turning it on, i was surprisingly liberated! ! ! No att bloat, none of that. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

TED-III ? You might wanna take a dare and venture over to the "CELL PHONE SIMETERY" ..or the "in memory of..." discussion. Watch out for that S.A.M.-II ! Oh, and I would keep an eye out for a ghost ryding around on a harley....

(...youve been warned....Smiley Wink )
Message 13 of 22 (705 Views)
Master

You'll have to resurrect those discussions first. I think they have gotten buried.

ATT is not the only one with bloat on their phones. I would love to uninstall the 131 mb game that is preinstalled on the Tbolt.
Message 14 of 22 (700 Views)
Professor

Here is the Link . Visit at your own risk.... Smiley Wink Yes, there are some Dell bloat, but fewer than and not nearly half of what i had on my att phones. Some of the dell stuff, i actually use.
Message 15 of 22 (696 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.