Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 5, 2010
1:48:53 PM
View profile
AT&T Phone Book - the online back up ..Anybody actually using this service?

I recently purchased a Samsung Captivate.  I like it, except for its inability to sync with my Outlook contacts and calendar.  Due to this downfall, I decided that I would utilize the online "AT&T Phone Book," so that all of the manually entered contacts would not disappear if the phone goes belly up. 

I set up the connection, it attempts to sync, but has not yet been able to do a full sync.  The first sync saved 164 contacts of the 322.  I asked technical support why I was getting "error code:500 details: network error" and they put me through  the usual verifications that my set up was correct (it is). They then thought it might need a new sim card (3G).  So I got one.  Still not syncing. 

In an effort to make certain all possible problems were not due to some software that I added during the first week, I completed a factory reset.  Still not syncing.  Now only 75 contacts have made it online.  Additionally, it seems to continuously attempt to sync - at least six times an hour.  I have shut down sync, disabled background usage, unchecked auto sync... but it still is making connections with the network multiple times an hour. 

Any suggestions?  I am not interested in purchasing the unlimited data plan just because this app isn't working.  Just wondering if anyone else is having similar issues with "AT&T Phone Book."

I recently purchased a Samsung Captivate.  I like it, except for its inability to sync with my Outlook contacts and calendar.  Due to this downfall, I decided that I would utilize the online "AT&T Phone Book," so that all of the manually entered contacts would not disappear if the phone goes belly up. 

I set up the connection, it attempts to sync, but has not yet been able to do a full sync.  The first sync saved 164 contacts of the 322.  I asked technical support why I was getting "error code:500 details: network error" and they put me through  the usual verifications that my set up was correct (it is). They then thought it might need a new sim card (3G).  So I got one.  Still not syncing. 

In an effort to make certain all possible problems were not due to some software that I added during the first week, I completed a factory reset.  Still not syncing.  Now only 75 contacts have made it online.  Additionally, it seems to continuously attempt to sync - at least six times an hour.  I have shut down sync, disabled background usage, unchecked auto sync... but it still is making connections with the network multiple times an hour. 

Any suggestions?  I am not interested in purchasing the unlimited data plan just because this app isn't working.  Just wondering if anyone else is having similar issues with "AT&T Phone Book."

AT&T Phone Book - the online back up ..Anybody actually using this service?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 3:21:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

Mine did not sync at fist. After about three days it starting working.  Give it a few days to start working if you just got the phone.  There are still times when it does not sync but I think it is a problem with the online service and not the phone.

Mine did not sync at fist. After about three days it starting working.  Give it a few days to start working if you just got the phone.  There are still times when it does not sync but I think it is a problem with the online service and not the phone.

Re: AT&T Phone Book - the online back up ..Anybody actually using this service?

2 of 3 (3,154 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 10:21:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

I had a similar issue and Tech support told me to make sure I was on 3G not Wifi, it finally worked.

I had a similar issue and Tech support told me to make sure I was on 3G not Wifi, it finally worked.

Re: AT&T Phone Book - the online back up ..Anybody actually using this service?

3 of 3 (3,109 Views)