Helpful Links

AT&T Discriminate Unlimited data iPhone customers...

Teacher

AT&T Discriminate Unlimited data iPhone customers...

Is it me or does it seem like AT&T is discriminating their customers with the unlimited data plans on their iPhone?

From an article I've read, they will not be throttling their tiered customers since they can make money off of them.  However, for us unlimited customers, the quality of service (throttled/ aka crippled) will go down if we use what they deemed is too much.  If they were to throttle their tiered customers, then I would say things are fair.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

What are other people's thoughts?

Message 1 of 48
Master

Re: AT&T Discriminate Unlimited data iPhone customers...

Not all Unlimited Data users are using iPhones. I am sure there are Android, Symbian, Palm, and Windows Mobile smartphones in the mix.

I think it is fair that if Unlimited users are using an excessive amount of data (more than the average usage, which is 2GB), they should be receiving throttled data speeds. The speeds should not be so crippled that data cannot come through at all, but just at a slower pace so that not even MORE data is used on top of what was already used for the month.

Tiered customers on the 2GB plan should not be throttled because they are using the appropriate allotment set forth by the carrier. With Unlimited, there is no limit to what you can use, but it sure seems like there is, now. AT&T is slowly killing their Unlimited Data plans entirely.

However, customers using the Unlimited Data plan being throttled at 2GB or below is not fair at all. Once their amount exceeds 2GB is when I think throttling should start kicking in.

The point is, AT&T does not want heavy data users hogging bandwidth on their network. It's just not fair to everyone else, with some people using an exorbitant amount of data (10GB+) and then others using a few megabytes and up to 2GB.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 48
Expert

purplecow827 wrote:

Is it me or does it seem like AT&T is discriminating their customers with the unlimited data plans on their iPhone?

From an article I've read, they will not be throttling their tiered customers since they can make money off of them.  However, for us unlimited customers, the quality of service (throttled/ aka crippled) will go down if we use what they deemed is too much.  If they were to throttle their tiered customers, then I would say things are fair. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

no grounds - it is documented, sorry but contray to your belief they are not "discriminating" against iphone users, all unlimited plans - android, blackberry, smbain, window 7 mobile are feeling the punch.

Why should they throttle their tiered customers, they pay for what they use in overages, you don;t. The dodo known as unlimited data is on the way out, verizon has already dropped it and is enforcing caps on the grandfather unlimited plans and now it is being rumored by the 5th estate that Sprint will be dropping it when LTE / 4G hits - but then with sprint data transfer you always feel like you are throttled.

Message 3 of 48
Teacher

Tiered customers with a 2GB plan who uses 10GB will not be throttled. AT&T will charge them overage fees $10 per 1GB. They $80 additional revenue that they will pull in.

Hmmmm... Do you think they care about other customers? As long as you pay the extra, they don't give a rat's {word filter evasion} about how much data you're using. It's all about their pocket!

Message 4 of 48
Teacher

So yes, all unlimited customers are being discriminated. Since I'm posint on the iPhone forum and since I'm an iPhone user, I have explicitly mentioned iPhone unlimited customers. I'm paying for my unlimited data usuage. I signed up early enough so I can avoid the overages.

The message that at&t is saying is that they need to throttle their heavy users to keep the network free. Then they should throttle their tiered customers who are heavy users to keep the network free as well.
Message 5 of 48
Master

purplecow827 wrote:
The message that at&t is saying is that they need to throttle their heavy users to keep the network free. Then they should throttle their tiered customers who are heavy users to keep the network free as well.
You are right. I can agree with that.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 48
Highlighted
Scholar

The thing I find interesting is that purplecow827 does not seem to think 1.5GB in the first week of the billing cycle is a large amount of data.  That amount of data easily puts any user in the road to using at least 6GB of data per month which is a large amount of data over a month.

If all smartphone customers were using similar amounts of data, could you imagine how sloooooooooooow AT&T's network would become?  It would be practically unuseable.

Unlimited data has never meant that it cannot be throttled... AT&T still allows unlimited data, it is simply delivered more slowly to your device.

I really do not like the idea of any carrier throttleing data, but heavy data users should also pay for the data they use. 

While it would not eliminate or in any way have an affect on AT&T's decision to throttle heavy data users, maybe they should consider using Wi-Fi more often anytime it is available.  I can only imagine they are streaming music and video to hit those large data amounts, I really cannot fathom trying to watch lots of video over 3G.  For me, that quality is fine watching a YouTube video or two... but not more than that.

Message 7 of 48

I agree with you Ryan. This is from another post from purplecow827 and they wonder why they are being throttled:

"I'm a week into my billing cycle.I used 6Gb last month since I'm streaming Hulu, YouTube, and Pandora."
Message 8 of 48

purplecow827 wrote:
So yes, all unlimited customers are being discriminated. Since I'm posint on the iPhone forum and since I'm an iPhone user, I have explicitly mentioned iPhone unlimited customers. I'm paying for my unlimited data usuage. I signed up early enough so I can avoid the overages.

Throttling is a way of keeping the data usage of those of us on unlimited plans under control.  They don't need to do that with the tiered users, since they are paying for the extra data that they use.

You do realize that increasing their capacity costs AT&T money, right?

Message 9 of 48

Discriminate - treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit (from m-w.com)

This may be tough to wrap your head around, but "individual merit" in this case is your data usage. AT&T has decided to make a distinction on the basis of "individual merit", which in this case is data usage, by discincetivizing people from using vast amounts of data on unlimited plans. If the situation were "fair", EVERY user would be paying based solely on the amount of data they were using. The fact that you still have an unlimited plan while other users have to pay by the GB isn't really "fair". 

purplecow827 wrote:

From an article I've read, they will not be throttling their tiered customers since they can make money off of them.  However, for us unlimited customers, the quality of service (throttled/ aka crippled) will go down if we use what they deemed is too much.  If they were to throttle their tiered customers, then I would say things are fair.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 10 of 48
Teacher

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Discriminate - treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit (from m-w.com)

This may be tough to wrap your head around, but "individual merit" in this case is your data usage. AT&T has decided to make a distinction on the basis of "individual merit", which in this case is data usage, by discincetivizing people from using vast amounts of data on unlimited plans. If the situation were "fair", EVERY user would be paying based solely on the amount of data they were using. The fact that you still have an unlimited plan while other users have to pay by the GB isn't really "fair". 

What if there are people using 6GB of data on a tiered plan?  Would that be consider excessive?  No.  Because AT&T is making money off of them.  Ummm...  In terms of data usage we should be categorized in the same group.

In the future, data consumption of individuals will continue to climb with better devices and richer content.  In the early 90's, PCs with a 5MB hard drives were considered to have a lot of data storage.  Today, this isn't the case.  And tomorrow will be another story.  I had the foresight for this and made sure to get the unlimited plan.

Is life fair?  No it's not.  But the unlimited data is a previlege for us early adopters.

What I'm saying is that AT&T is discriminating and penalizing the unlimited data users who fall in the 5%.  We are not just individuals.  We're a group.  There may be others that falls in the 5% but because they are on the tiered plan, they are left alone.  Wouldn't these people place load on the network as well?  Should they be throttled as well?  Regardless of paying or not, the same restriction should be placed across the board for all.

Message 11 of 48
Teacher

archermoo wrote:

Throttling is a way of keeping the data usage of those of us on unlimited plans under control.  They don't need to do that with the tiered users, since they are paying for the extra data that they use.

Yes.  And AT&T is alway adding new customers on a daily basis hence increasing revenue.

It is not in AT&T's interest to invest too much into their 3G network when LTE promises cable modem speeds is around the corner.  I wouldn't if I were a mobile service provider.  This is the reason why their network is so slow.

If AT&T were to throttle, they should also throttle the tiered users as well to keep things fair.  If the tiered customers can not use as much data due to the throttling, they would not have to spend as much either.  AT&T wouldn't make as much money but the network won't be as conjested either.

Message 12 of 48
Expert

purplecow827 wrote:

archermoo wrote:

Yes.  And AT&T is alway adding new customers on a daily basis hence increasing revenue.

It is not in AT&T's interest to invest too much into their 3G network when LTE promises cable modem speeds is around the corner.  I wouldn't if I were a mobile service provider.  This is the reason why their network is so slow.

If AT&T were to throttle, they should also throttle the tiered users as well to keep things fair.  If the tiered customers can not use as much data due to the throttling, they would not have to spend as much either.  AT&T wouldn't make as much money but the network won't be as conjested either.

you have a basic misunderstanding of the new limited plans, they have no need of being capped - they sign up to pay 15.00 per 200MB or 25.00 per 2gb, if a 2GB user goes over their limit they pay for an additional 2GB at the going price, new block of data for that period.

You need to understand the simple fact that a 2GB user pays for each any every overage, they tend to be a lot more conseritive in what they use over a grandfathered unlimited data plan user that never read teh fair use policy in their terms and feel they deserve everything with no consequences for their actions.

Bottom line - deal with the restriction that has been in the terms since day one of your agreement or more to sprint - the final remaining top 3 carrier that is still offering unlimted data (appears to be for a limited time AND a fair use policy is in effect)

ATT is acting within the letter of the terms. Personally would have throttled to 5GB and hard capped to email use only till next billing cycle

Message 13 of 48
Mentor

Then by that rationale, to keep things "fair" they should allow "unlimited" data to everyone Smiley Wink Also, they never said your speed was unlimited....just the data, which they are happy to provide albeit at a slower rate.

Message 14 of 48
Teacher

tilteddan13 wrote:

Then by that rationale, to keep things "fair" they should allow "unlimited" data to everyone Smiley Wink Also, they never said your speed was unlimited....just the data, which they are happy to provide albeit at a slower rate.

Personally, I think they should offer unlimited to everyone.

Going by what ATT says, most people will not go over 2GB of data usuage anyways. 

Message 15 of 48
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support