Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 20, 2010
3:56:30 PM
View profile
AT&T 4g

I understand that AT&T is be going to the 4g network so I was wondering if my samsung captivate be able to have the 4g service. And I was also wondering with new win7 phone be 4g on them or are they going be able to use the 4g as well.

I understand that AT&T is be going to the 4g network so I was wondering if my samsung captivate be able to have the 4g service. And I was also wondering with new win7 phone be 4g on them or are they going be able to use the 4g as well.

AT&T 4g

33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(33)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 9:04:49 AM
(0)
Master

You do realize that an AT&T-branded iPhone WON'T work on Verizon even if unlocked?  Verizon is a CDMA/EVDO carrier; AT&T uses GSM/UMTS.  AT&T phones that are unlocked will work on T-Mobile as 2G phones, since T-Mobile and AT&T use different 3G frequencies despite using the same technology.  AT&T and T-Mobile phones won't work at all on Verizon and Sprint, the nation's big CDMA carriers.

SANJOSEMIKE wrote:

AT&T will not provide you with information about "jailbreaking" your iphon4, because they want to keep your business. For those who wish to use both Verizon (or another provider) and their regular cell phone, it is not necessary to purchase another smart phone. You can modify your iphone4 to use another provider. After your initial contract with AT and T is over, you can switch. (They don't want you to know that).

Several things are necessary. You may need to first jailbreak your iphone. You can learn how to do this on youtube and other sources if you Google it. The newest Apple OS is more resistant to jailbreaking, but it is still possible. Second, you need to modify a SIM card and replace the one you have now. This is surprisingly easy, with a pair of scissors and a template to "fit" your iphone. You can trim any SIM card which will not damage the card, and once you get it installed in your iphone, you're up and running. You just go back and forth with the original SIM card...and your "trimmed" one.

You can also reverse jailbreak your iphone if you want to. Some SIM cards offer the ability to just insert the card without jailbreaking your iphone. Rebel Sim card is one such provider, but I don't have any experience with it.

You should look into services like LINE2, which is an excellent provider of an ADDITIONAL telephone number for your iphone, for a monthly charge. You can use it monthly (more expensive) or sign up for 6+ months (cheaper).  Line2 uses VOIP so you have to have an internet connection, but has a very clear signal for both sides, and very reasonable (or no additional) international rates.

If you travel a lot, I'd look into Line2 before you add an additional expensive service on AT%T to your iphone. It may have what you need...for much less...and even give you better options. (No, I don't work for either).

I'm not really sure that this post will remain on-line. I hope it helps.

sanjosemike

You do realize that an AT&T-branded iPhone WON'T work on Verizon even if unlocked?  Verizon is a CDMA/EVDO carrier; AT&T uses GSM/UMTS.  AT&T phones that are unlocked will work on T-Mobile as 2G phones, since T-Mobile and AT&T use different 3G frequencies despite using the same technology.  AT&T and T-Mobile phones won't work at all on Verizon and Sprint, the nation's big CDMA carriers.

SANJOSEMIKE wrote:

AT&T will not provide you with information about "jailbreaking" your iphon4, because they want to keep your business. For those who wish to use both Verizon (or another provider) and their regular cell phone, it is not necessary to purchase another smart phone. You can modify your iphone4 to use another provider. After your initial contract with AT and T is over, you can switch. (They don't want you to know that).

Several things are necessary. You may need to first jailbreak your iphone. You can learn how to do this on youtube and other sources if you Google it. The newest Apple OS is more resistant to jailbreaking, but it is still possible. Second, you need to modify a SIM card and replace the one you have now. This is surprisingly easy, with a pair of scissors and a template to "fit" your iphone. You can trim any SIM card which will not damage the card, and once you get it installed in your iphone, you're up and running. You just go back and forth with the original SIM card...and your "trimmed" one.

You can also reverse jailbreak your iphone if you want to. Some SIM cards offer the ability to just insert the card without jailbreaking your iphone. Rebel Sim card is one such provider, but I don't have any experience with it.

You should look into services like LINE2, which is an excellent provider of an ADDITIONAL telephone number for your iphone, for a monthly charge. You can use it monthly (more expensive) or sign up for 6+ months (cheaper).  Line2 uses VOIP so you have to have an internet connection, but has a very clear signal for both sides, and very reasonable (or no additional) international rates.

If you travel a lot, I'd look into Line2 before you add an additional expensive service on AT%T to your iphone. It may have what you need...for much less...and even give you better options. (No, I don't work for either).

I'm not really sure that this post will remain on-line. I hope it helps.

sanjosemike

Re: AT&T 4g

31 of 34 (4,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 5:16:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I read the details on Verizon's iPhone, and it WILL NOT be 4G compatible.  Will AT&T's 4G network be compatible with the iPhone4?

I read the details on Verizon's iPhone, and it WILL NOT be 4G compatible.  Will AT&T's 4G network be compatible with the iPhone4?

Will the iPhone work on the 4G network?

32 of 34 (4,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 5:21:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

fleadoctor wrote:

Nope, AT&T's iPhone 4 is 3G only. It will not receive a 4G signal. Besides, 4G isn't fully developed yet. The iPhone 5/4G will most likely get 4G, though, when it is released.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

fleadoctor wrote:

Nope, AT&T's iPhone 4 is 3G only. It will not receive a 4G signal. Besides, 4G isn't fully developed yet. The iPhone 5/4G will most likely get 4G, though, when it is released.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Will the iPhone work on the 4G network?

33 of 34 (4,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 7:16:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

fleadoctor wrote:

ATT is just starting to rollout their version of 4G network mid 2011.  It will be at least a year or more before their 4G network is usable.

fleadoctor wrote:

ATT is just starting to rollout their version of 4G network mid 2011.  It will be at least a year or more before their 4G network is usable.

Re: Will the iPhone work on the 4G network?

34 of 34 (4,051 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments