Helpful Links

AT&T 4g

Explorer

AT&T 4g

I understand that AT&T is be going to the 4g network so I was wondering if my samsung captivate be able to have the 4g service. And I was also wondering with new win7 phone be 4g on them or are they going be able to use the 4g as well.

Message 1 of 34
Master

Re: AT&T 4g

AT&T is still rolling out 3G in major, as well as remote areas as of this time. Before they officially release 3G to pretty much every square inch of this country, 4G still has a long way to go. 3G comes before 4G, unfortunately. That's just the way it goes.

The Sprint EVO 4G's lookin' nice. I wish AT&T would hurry up with 3G, and later move onto 4G.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 34
Explorer

well I heared the AT&T 4g should be next year sometime

Message 3 of 34

The term "4G" really doesn't mean anything accept to the marketing dept as a selling point it is purely 4th Generation and it encompasses other things like HSPDA WiMax ect 4G is just a term to sell something.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 34
Master

AT&T likely won't start rolling out 4G until late next year or 2012.  None of the phones that AT&T currently sells will be able to take advantage of that network.

RDBuck38 wrote:

well I heared the AT&T 4g should be next year sometime

Message 5 of 34
Master

And that would be wrong.  4G refers to fourth generation mobile technology, in this case Long Term Evolution or LTE.  It's not marketing speak, and it really does mean something.  HSPA, or High Speed Packet Access, can be considered an enhancement to UMTS, AT&T's 3G technology.  

The generations of mobile technology, while often building upon the prior generation, can be considered discrete.  While Sprint is exploring the use of ClearWire's WiMax for their 4G technology, Verizon is converging on the path with T-Mobile & AT&T in rolling out LTE.  That means that somewhere down the road, a phone that works on AT&T may also work on T-Mobile and Verizon (assuming, of course, that LTE is rolled out on complementary frequencies).

scooterjes wrote:

The term "4G" really doesn't mean anything accept to the marketing dept as a selling point it is purely 4th Generation and it encompasses other things like HSPDA WiMax ect 4G is just a term to sell something.

Message 6 of 34
Scholar

If I can find the article again I will reference it, but according to it Sprint's current 4G (mobile WiMax) isn't 'real' 4G technology, more like 3.9 to put it simply. It is much faster than the 3G you and I experience on AT&T, but does not actually meet the standard 4G technology requirements. It went on to say that most of the 3G network claims today are the same thing. Verizon's, and other's, 3G network actually falls short, or has up until recently, of the universal standard requirements, one of which being simultaneous calling and data usage. Supposedly AT&T can claim it has the 'fastest 3G network' because it's following the true standards, thus causing the longer implementation timeframe.

I can't speak for the full validity of the article, but it was very well written and referenced. Another good read on 3G/4G standards can be found on Wikipedia under "3G"

Message 7 of 34
Scholar

Their 3G coverage needs work/help, much less jumping ahead to 4G.....

Message 8 of 34
Expert

diagoro wrote:

If you're speaking about ATT's 3G, I TOTALLY agree....let's get 3G straightened out FIRST!!!! It WOULD be nice to have a 3G symbol on my phone like it's SUPPOSED to instead of E...why do I have a 3G phone in the first place??? IMO, service has been taking a step backward, instead of moving ahead and getting better. These last few weeks, it has been TERRIBLE...hardly any 3G, missing phone calls (my phone DOESN'T even ring)!!!  I am SERIOUSLY considering moving to another carrier.... Smiley Indifferent

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 9 of 34
Scholar

diagoro wrote:

ATTs 3G coverage is poor compared to Verizon.  You may find a few exceptions, but overall; ATT's 3G coverage is bad.  I hope they are not as slow rolling out 4G, as they are behind the curve already.

For those asking for my evidence; just compare the coverage map ATT provides themselves.  Or; travel with a friend who has Verizon.

Message 10 of 34
Expert

cwrig wrote:

diagoro wrote:

ATTs 3G coverage is poor compared to Verizon.  You may find a few exceptions, but overall; ATT's 3G coverage is bad.  I hope they are not as slow rolling out 4G, as they are behind the curve already.

For those asking for my evidence; just compare the coverage map ATT provides themselves.  Or; travel with a friend who has Verizon.

would prefer to compare real world rather then marketing developed maps - verizon claims they have full coverage in Beaver Creek Co - real world is they don't, the verizon phone I carry sat in the suitecase all the time I was there with absolutley no coverage anywhere in the city. Sprint and ATT on the other worked had great coverage. Those phone's worked with with decent coverage. Don;t have to travel with someone that has a verizon phone, have a ATT, Verizon, Sprint and Irridium phone for when I travel

Message 11 of 34
Scholar

You will always be able to pick a spot where one carrier has signal and others do not.   My point was 3G coverage, which anyone with any knowledge of the carriers will agree ATT is severely lacking compared to Verizon.   If you dont agree with that, you have given yourself away.

Message 12 of 34
Expert

cwrig wrote:

You will always be able to pick a spot where one carrier has signal and others do not.   My point was 3G coverage, which anyone with any knowledge of the carriers will agree ATT is severely lacking compared to Verizon.   If you dont agree with that, you have given yourself away.

Anyone with any cell phone expiernece will understand that NO carrier can provide 100 percent coverage in ANY area. If you believe any of the marketing hype and "coverage maps" over reality then there is the issue. Find that in my travels, there are sections where verizon state thay have coverage and they don't, sprint states they have coverage and they don't, att states they have coverage and they don't. Coverage maps are pretty pictures for the uninformed, which is why I issue specifc cell phones from specific companies depending on what territory they cover - in some cases and locations I will authorize multiple carriers phones for the employee;s that need them if they cover territories that the primary phone does not supply adequte service.

Currious - suspect you are making another wrong assumption with the statement "If you dont agree with that, you have given yourself away." but would like verification ebfroe I prove you wrong again. Exactly what are you impling? 

Message 13 of 34
Scholar

You havnt proven me wrong; you have though failed to stay on topic.   One last time; my point was ATT's 3G coverage is Much worse than Verizon's 3G coverage.   If you have familiarity with the US carriers you will also know that.

Message 14 of 34
Expert

cwrig wrote:

You havnt proven me wrong; you have though failed to stay on topic.   One last time; my point was ATT's 3G coverage is Much worse than Verizon's 3G coverage.   If you have familiarity with the US carriers you will also know that.

Actually I have a very extensive familiarity with carriers and cell phone tower technology considering it is wone of the mulititide of technologies, services, development and customer service divisions that my company deals with extensively on a day to day basis.

Message 15 of 34
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support