Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 20, 2010
3:56:30 PM
View profile
AT&T 4g

I understand that AT&T is be going to the 4g network so I was wondering if my samsung captivate be able to have the 4g service. And I was also wondering with new win7 phone be 4g on them or are they going be able to use the 4g as well.

I understand that AT&T is be going to the 4g network so I was wondering if my samsung captivate be able to have the 4g service. And I was also wondering with new win7 phone be 4g on them or are they going be able to use the 4g as well.

AT&T 4g

33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(33)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 4:13:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

AT&T is still rolling out 3G in major, as well as remote areas as of this time. Before they officially release 3G to pretty much every square inch of this country, 4G still has a long way to go. 3G comes before 4G, unfortunately. That's just the way it goes.

The Sprint EVO 4G's lookin' nice. I wish AT&T would hurry up with 3G, and later move onto 4G.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

AT&T is still rolling out 3G in major, as well as remote areas as of this time. Before they officially release 3G to pretty much every square inch of this country, 4G still has a long way to go. 3G comes before 4G, unfortunately. That's just the way it goes.

The Sprint EVO 4G's lookin' nice. I wish AT&T would hurry up with 3G, and later move onto 4G.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T 4g

2 of 34 (3,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 4:48:58 PM
(0)
Explorer

well I heared the AT&T 4g should be next year sometime

3 of 34 (3,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 5:28:51 PM
(0)
Guru

The term "4G" really doesn't mean anything accept to the marketing dept as a selling point it is purely 4th Generation and it encompasses other things like HSPDA WiMax ect 4G is just a term to sell something.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

The term "4G" really doesn't mean anything accept to the marketing dept as a selling point it is purely 4th Generation and it encompasses other things like HSPDA WiMax ect 4G is just a term to sell something.

4 of 34 (3,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 5:15:38 AM
(0)
Master

AT&T likely won't start rolling out 4G until late next year or 2012.  None of the phones that AT&T currently sells will be able to take advantage of that network.

RDBuck38 wrote:

AT&T likely won't start rolling out 4G until late next year or 2012.  None of the phones that AT&T currently sells will be able to take advantage of that network.

RDBuck38 wrote:

5 of 34 (3,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 5:19:32 AM
(0)
Master

And that would be wrong.  4G refers to fourth generation mobile technology, in this case Long Term Evolution or LTE.  It's not marketing speak, and it really does mean something.  HSPA, or High Speed Packet Access, can be considered an enhancement to UMTS, AT&T's 3G technology.  

The generations of mobile technology, while often building upon the prior generation, can be considered discrete.  While Sprint is exploring the use of ClearWire's WiMax for their 4G technology, Verizon is converging on the path with T-Mobile & AT&T in rolling out LTE.  That means that somewhere down the road, a phone that works on AT&T may also work on T-Mobile and Verizon (assuming, of course, that LTE is rolled out on complementary frequencies).

scooterjes wrote:

And that would be wrong.  4G refers to fourth generation mobile technology, in this case Long Term Evolution or LTE.  It's not marketing speak, and it really does mean something.  HSPA, or High Speed Packet Access, can be considered an enhancement to UMTS, AT&T's 3G technology.  

The generations of mobile technology, while often building upon the prior generation, can be considered discrete.  While Sprint is exploring the use of ClearWire's WiMax for their 4G technology, Verizon is converging on the path with T-Mobile & AT&T in rolling out LTE.  That means that somewhere down the road, a phone that works on AT&T may also work on T-Mobile and Verizon (assuming, of course, that LTE is rolled out on complementary frequencies).

scooterjes wrote:

6 of 34 (3,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2010 5:03:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

If I can find the article again I will reference it, but according to it Sprint's current 4G (mobile WiMax) isn't 'real' 4G technology, more like 3.9 to put it simply. It is much faster than the 3G you and I experience on AT&T, but does not actually meet the standard 4G technology requirements. It went on to say that most of the 3G network claims today are the same thing. Verizon's, and other's, 3G network actually falls short, or has up until recently, of the universal standard requirements, one of which being simultaneous calling and data usage. Supposedly AT&T can claim it has the 'fastest 3G network' because it's following the true standards, thus causing the longer implementation timeframe.

I can't speak for the full validity of the article, but it was very well written and referenced. Another good read on 3G/4G standards can be found on Wikipedia under "3G"

If I can find the article again I will reference it, but according to it Sprint's current 4G (mobile WiMax) isn't 'real' 4G technology, more like 3.9 to put it simply. It is much faster than the 3G you and I experience on AT&T, but does not actually meet the standard 4G technology requirements. It went on to say that most of the 3G network claims today are the same thing. Verizon's, and other's, 3G network actually falls short, or has up until recently, of the universal standard requirements, one of which being simultaneous calling and data usage. Supposedly AT&T can claim it has the 'fastest 3G network' because it's following the true standards, thus causing the longer implementation timeframe.

I can't speak for the full validity of the article, but it was very well written and referenced. Another good read on 3G/4G standards can be found on Wikipedia under "3G"

7 of 34 (3,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2010 8:27:19 AM
(0)
Scholar

Their 3G coverage needs work/help, much less jumping ahead to 4G.....

8 of 34 (3,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2010 12:25:59 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Nov 6, 2010 at 12:28:16 PM

diagoro wrote:

If you're speaking about ATT's 3G, I TOTALLY agree....let's get 3G straightened out FIRST!!!! It WOULD be nice to have a 3G symbol on my phone like it's SUPPOSED to instead of E...why do I have a 3G phone in the first place??? IMO, service has been taking a step backward, instead of moving ahead and getting better. These last few weeks, it has been TERRIBLE...hardly any 3G, missing phone calls (my phone DOESN'T even ring)!!!  I am SERIOUSLY considering moving to another carrier.... Smiley Indifferent

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

diagoro wrote:

If you're speaking about ATT's 3G, I TOTALLY agree....let's get 3G straightened out FIRST!!!! It WOULD be nice to have a 3G symbol on my phone like it's SUPPOSED to instead of E...why do I have a 3G phone in the first place??? IMO, service has been taking a step backward, instead of moving ahead and getting better. These last few weeks, it has been TERRIBLE...hardly any 3G, missing phone calls (my phone DOESN'T even ring)!!!  I am SERIOUSLY considering moving to another carrier.... Smiley Indifferent

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
9 of 34 (3,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 12:04:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

diagoro wrote:

ATTs 3G coverage is poor compared to Verizon.  You may find a few exceptions, but overall; ATT's 3G coverage is bad.  I hope they are not as slow rolling out 4G, as they are behind the curve already.

For those asking for my evidence; just compare the coverage map ATT provides themselves.  Or; travel with a friend who has Verizon.

diagoro wrote:

ATTs 3G coverage is poor compared to Verizon.  You may find a few exceptions, but overall; ATT's 3G coverage is bad.  I hope they are not as slow rolling out 4G, as they are behind the curve already.

For those asking for my evidence; just compare the coverage map ATT provides themselves.  Or; travel with a friend who has Verizon.

10 of 34 (2,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 1:12:52 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Nov 12, 2010 at 1:13:57 PM

cwrig wrote:

diagoro wrote:

would prefer to compare real world rather then marketing developed maps - verizon claims they have full coverage in Beaver Creek Co - real world is they don't, the verizon phone I carry sat in the suitecase all the time I was there with absolutley no coverage anywhere in the city. Sprint and ATT on the other worked had great coverage. Those phone's worked with with decent coverage. Don;t have to travel with someone that has a verizon phone, have a ATT, Verizon, Sprint and Irridium phone for when I travel

cwrig wrote:

diagoro wrote:

would prefer to compare real world rather then marketing developed maps - verizon claims they have full coverage in Beaver Creek Co - real world is they don't, the verizon phone I carry sat in the suitecase all the time I was there with absolutley no coverage anywhere in the city. Sprint and ATT on the other worked had great coverage. Those phone's worked with with decent coverage. Don;t have to travel with someone that has a verizon phone, have a ATT, Verizon, Sprint and Irridium phone for when I travel

[ Edited ]
11 of 34 (4,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 3:07:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

You will always be able to pick a spot where one carrier has signal and others do not.   My point was 3G coverage, which anyone with any knowledge of the carriers will agree ATT is severely lacking compared to Verizon.   If you dont agree with that, you have given yourself away.

You will always be able to pick a spot where one carrier has signal and others do not.   My point was 3G coverage, which anyone with any knowledge of the carriers will agree ATT is severely lacking compared to Verizon.   If you dont agree with that, you have given yourself away.

12 of 34 (4,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 3:54:57 PM
(0)
Expert

cwrig wrote:

Anyone with any cell phone expiernece will understand that NO carrier can provide 100 percent coverage in ANY area. If you believe any of the marketing hype and "coverage maps" over reality then there is the issue. Find that in my travels, there are sections where verizon state thay have coverage and they don't, sprint states they have coverage and they don't, att states they have coverage and they don't. Coverage maps are pretty pictures for the uninformed, which is why I issue specifc cell phones from specific companies depending on what territory they cover - in some cases and locations I will authorize multiple carriers phones for the employee;s that need them if they cover territories that the primary phone does not supply adequte service.

Currious - suspect you are making another wrong assumption with the statement "If you dont agree with that, you have given yourself away." but would like verification ebfroe I prove you wrong again. Exactly what are you impling? 

cwrig wrote:

Anyone with any cell phone expiernece will understand that NO carrier can provide 100 percent coverage in ANY area. If you believe any of the marketing hype and "coverage maps" over reality then there is the issue. Find that in my travels, there are sections where verizon state thay have coverage and they don't, sprint states they have coverage and they don't, att states they have coverage and they don't. Coverage maps are pretty pictures for the uninformed, which is why I issue specifc cell phones from specific companies depending on what territory they cover - in some cases and locations I will authorize multiple carriers phones for the employee;s that need them if they cover territories that the primary phone does not supply adequte service.

Currious - suspect you are making another wrong assumption with the statement "If you dont agree with that, you have given yourself away." but would like verification ebfroe I prove you wrong again. Exactly what are you impling? 

13 of 34 (4,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 7:50:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

You havnt proven me wrong; you have though failed to stay on topic.   One last time; my point was ATT's 3G coverage is Much worse than Verizon's 3G coverage.   If you have familiarity with the US carriers you will also know that.

You havnt proven me wrong; you have though failed to stay on topic.   One last time; my point was ATT's 3G coverage is Much worse than Verizon's 3G coverage.   If you have familiarity with the US carriers you will also know that.

14 of 34 (4,305 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2010 5:56:51 AM
(0)
Expert

cwrig wrote:

Actually I have a very extensive familiarity with carriers and cell phone tower technology considering it is wone of the mulititide of technologies, services, development and customer service divisions that my company deals with extensively on a day to day basis.

cwrig wrote:

Actually I have a very extensive familiarity with carriers and cell phone tower technology considering it is wone of the mulititide of technologies, services, development and customer service divisions that my company deals with extensively on a day to day basis.

15 of 34 (4,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2010 8:07:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

cwrig wrote:

If thats the case you know how bad ATT's 3G coverage is compared to Verizon's.  You also must know that the auction wins verizon got in 700Mhz makes rolling out 4g eaiser for them than ATT.   Ergo; It is likely that ATT will stay behind the curve for the next 2 years in 3G and 4G coverage.

wingrider01 wrote:

cwrig wrote:

If thats the case you know how bad ATT's 3G coverage is compared to Verizon's.  You also must know that the auction wins verizon got in 700Mhz makes rolling out 4g eaiser for them than ATT.   Ergo; It is likely that ATT will stay behind the curve for the next 2 years in 3G and 4G coverage.

16 of 34 (4,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2010 9:01:24 AM
(0)
Expert

cwrig wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

cwrig wrote:

Sorry but you are wrong, all you are doing is spouting marketing hype and personal opinion. 

Curious if you think that ATT 3G's network is so bad and you are carrying a converstaion on a ATT forum you must have an ATT phone, so if it is so bad - why exactly are you still here or are you a version user that decides to post on a better forum?

This is goingno where, hope you have a good day today and a beeter day tomorrow.

cwrig wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

cwrig wrote:

Sorry but you are wrong, all you are doing is spouting marketing hype and personal opinion. 

Curious if you think that ATT 3G's network is so bad and you are carrying a converstaion on a ATT forum you must have an ATT phone, so if it is so bad - why exactly are you still here or are you a version user that decides to post on a better forum?

This is goingno where, hope you have a good day today and a beeter day tomorrow.

17 of 34 (4,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2010 9:17:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

I had an att phone for years but when upgrading to a smartphone it became obvious as i travel the US that I was on ATT's edge 90% of the time.  I switched to verizon and now when i travel I am on 3G 90% of the time.  Huge difference.  You are the first person I have encountered (outside of a 17 year old ATT rep) that thinks otherwise.  It is common knowledge and well documented that ATTs 3G coverage is poor compared to Verizon.   It baffles me that you claim to be in the business and do not know this.

I had an att phone for years but when upgrading to a smartphone it became obvious as i travel the US that I was on ATT's edge 90% of the time.  I switched to verizon and now when i travel I am on 3G 90% of the time.  Huge difference.  You are the first person I have encountered (outside of a 17 year old ATT rep) that thinks otherwise.  It is common knowledge and well documented that ATTs 3G coverage is poor compared to Verizon.   It baffles me that you claim to be in the business and do not know this.

18 of 34 (4,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2010 1:18:27 PM
(0)
Expert

cwrig wrote:

nice try bubba - so you are a verizon customer, that explains a lot and makes things a lot more clearer. This holds as much water as the android outsells the iphone - same invalid logic.

From personal expierence I do not believe that you are on 3g 90 percent o the time with verizon, in fact I do not believe you have verizon signal 90 percent of the time let alon 3g, again personal expierence - which is why myself and my employees that travel are issues a cell phone from eavh major carrier for a 95 percent chance of having signal no matter where they are. Noce try at a age reference - you are wrong in that assumption also,3 for 3, nice score.

This is not worth my time anymore, you can believe what ever you want. 

cwrig wrote:

nice try bubba - so you are a verizon customer, that explains a lot and makes things a lot more clearer. This holds as much water as the android outsells the iphone - same invalid logic.

From personal expierence I do not believe that you are on 3g 90 percent o the time with verizon, in fact I do not believe you have verizon signal 90 percent of the time let alon 3g, again personal expierence - which is why myself and my employees that travel are issues a cell phone from eavh major carrier for a 95 percent chance of having signal no matter where they are. Noce try at a age reference - you are wrong in that assumption also,3 for 3, nice score.

This is not worth my time anymore, you can believe what ever you want. 

19 of 34 (4,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2010 9:17:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Nov 14, 2010 at 9:25:51 AM

cwrig wrote:

Obviously it depends on which area of the country you frequent, but it's my opinion that a large part of at&t's issue in broadly providing 3G coverage on a geographic basis is due to their lack of a native network footprint over much of the midwest.  You can see by looking at the GoPhone coverage maps that most of their coverage (in terms of geographic area) is provided by roaming partners, and not by at&t's own network.  And so I agree with your point - at&t will probably remain behind the curve in their ability to roll out new 4G technologies on a broad scale geographic basis as well.

I didn't personally realize what a difference this makes until a vacation (storm chasing) a couple of years ago that was centered in more rural areas of the southern midwest - I have both at&t post paid service and prepaid service.  The GoPhone rarely had coverage extending very far from the major interstates, while my post paid at&t "partner" coverage was generally fine.  And just a tidbit that I also found amusing on a more recent trip - Verizon's coverage extends at least 3 miles below the South rim of the Grand Canyon (Bright Angel trail-wise, not vertically speaking Smiley Very Happy ), whereas at&t's coverage in the area is pretty sparse - even on the rim.

Plus I've just seen too much anecdotal evidence from users having personal experience of both Verizon and at&t's service on a nationwide basis to not believe that Verizon does have a broader 3G coverage footprint.  However, for the moment at least, I've preferred to remain with the flexibility of using a GSM provider. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

cwrig wrote:

Obviously it depends on which area of the country you frequent, but it's my opinion that a large part of at&t's issue in broadly providing 3G coverage on a geographic basis is due to their lack of a native network footprint over much of the midwest.  You can see by looking at the GoPhone coverage maps that most of their coverage (in terms of geographic area) is provided by roaming partners, and not by at&t's own network.  And so I agree with your point - at&t will probably remain behind the curve in their ability to roll out new 4G technologies on a broad scale geographic basis as well.

I didn't personally realize what a difference this makes until a vacation (storm chasing) a couple of years ago that was centered in more rural areas of the southern midwest - I have both at&t post paid service and prepaid service.  The GoPhone rarely had coverage extending very far from the major interstates, while my post paid at&t "partner" coverage was generally fine.  And just a tidbit that I also found amusing on a more recent trip - Verizon's coverage extends at least 3 miles below the South rim of the Grand Canyon (Bright Angel trail-wise, not vertically speaking Smiley Very Happy ), whereas at&t's coverage in the area is pretty sparse - even on the rim.

Plus I've just seen too much anecdotal evidence from users having personal experience of both Verizon and at&t's service on a nationwide basis to not believe that Verizon does have a broader 3G coverage footprint.  However, for the moment at least, I've preferred to remain with the flexibility of using a GSM provider. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
20 of 34 (4,175 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 6:08:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

I travel a lot for my work. I have both AT&T and Verizon because I need to stay connected. From my personal experience, AT&T has better voice coverage and Verizon has MUCH better 3G data coverage. With AT&T, I'm lucky to get Edge in rural areas much less 3G. AT&T 3G coverage is horrible and Verizon works most of the time.

I travel a lot for my work. I have both AT&T and Verizon because I need to stay connected. From my personal experience, AT&T has better voice coverage and Verizon has MUCH better 3G data coverage. With AT&T, I'm lucky to get Edge in rural areas much less 3G. AT&T 3G coverage is horrible and Verizon works most of the time.

21 of 34 (1,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2010 6:38:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

AT&T definitely needs to do a LOT of work on 3G before thought of 4G starts.  I live in a pretty large city and my download speeds stink.  I am totally fed up with how horrible my service is.  Something like this needs to be fixed before any thought of LTE or whatever goes even one step further.

AT&T definitely needs to do a LOT of work on 3G before thought of 4G starts.  I live in a pretty large city and my download speeds stink.  I am totally fed up with how horrible my service is.  Something like this needs to be fixed before any thought of LTE or whatever goes even one step further.

22 of 34 (1,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 10:27:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have had both ATT and Verizon. I have had better service and lets drop calls with ATT.  I also travel with my company and my co-workers have Verizon and I have better reception than they have when we are away from home.  I don't know where you travel but you are right I have no good coverage in North Dakota or in Death Valley CA,  But anywhere in the rest of the US I have great service.  I like to surf the internet and make a phone call at the same time.  Try and do that on Verizon.

I have had both ATT and Verizon. I have had better service and lets drop calls with ATT.  I also travel with my company and my co-workers have Verizon and I have better reception than they have when we are away from home.  I don't know where you travel but you are right I have no good coverage in North Dakota or in Death Valley CA,  But anywhere in the rest of the US I have great service.  I like to surf the internet and make a phone call at the same time.  Try and do that on Verizon.

23 of 34 (1,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2010 11:42:33 AM
(0)
Guru

Well coverage/service quality varies from area to area so Joe from Washington may have excellent service whereas John from Nebraska may have no service at all.  Also another major factor is the phone some phones just have have a reputation for not very good antennaes.  There are so many factors involved that sure sometimes it is the service providers fault other times it's not.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Well coverage/service quality varies from area to area so Joe from Washington may have excellent service whereas John from Nebraska may have no service at all.  Also another major factor is the phone some phones just have have a reputation for not very good antennaes.  There are so many factors involved that sure sometimes it is the service providers fault other times it's not.

24 of 34 (1,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 6:27:47 AM
(0)
Scholar
ATT won't be getting 4G any time soon. No domestic carriers have true certified 4G LTE-Advanced or WirelessMAN-Advanced (802.16m) service.

True 4G service means being capable of between 100 Mbit/s and 1 Gbit/s down, depending on certain conditions, among other standards such as an IP-only packet switched network. This is not even close to what Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, or Clear are promoting as 4G.
ATT won't be getting 4G any time soon. No domestic carriers have true certified 4G LTE-Advanced or WirelessMAN-Advanced (802.16m) service.

True 4G service means being capable of between 100 Mbit/s and 1 Gbit/s down, depending on certain conditions, among other standards such as an IP-only packet switched network. This is not even close to what Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, or Clear are promoting as 4G.

25 of 34 (1,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 11:20:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I don't believe in this "Full Advanced 4G Network" claim as of right now. Sprint is said to have "the fastest 4G network", while on a T.V. commercial last night, T-Mobile claims to have the "LARGEST 4G network". (By the way, the commercial was lame, comparing a MyTouch 4G to the iPhone 4 and their different networks.)

Oh, and Verizon's latest claim is a LTE-4G network. Sure...

See, not sure what to believe. I just hope this whole 4G stuff doesn't cause that much of a hassle...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I don't believe in this "Full Advanced 4G Network" claim as of right now. Sprint is said to have "the fastest 4G network", while on a T.V. commercial last night, T-Mobile claims to have the "LARGEST 4G network". (By the way, the commercial was lame, comparing a MyTouch 4G to the iPhone 4 and their different networks.)

Oh, and Verizon's latest claim is a LTE-4G network. Sure...

See, not sure what to believe. I just hope this whole 4G stuff doesn't cause that much of a hassle...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

26 of 34 (1,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 11:38:49 PM
(0)
Employee

actually T-Mo's 4G is HSPA+ which AT&T already has and has out in the network in certain areas. So I'm not really sure why T-Mo is saying they have 4G while AT&T has the same network.

As far as WiMax and LTE not being 4G, officially they are NOW classified as 4G.....that's what happens when everyone calls their new networks 4G, you bend the rules and change them.....punks

actually T-Mo's 4G is HSPA+ which AT&T already has and has out in the network in certain areas. So I'm not really sure why T-Mo is saying they have 4G while AT&T has the same network.

As far as WiMax and LTE not being 4G, officially they are NOW classified as 4G.....that's what happens when everyone calls their new networks 4G, you bend the rules and change them.....punks

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

27 of 34 (1,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 10:22:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T will not provide you with information about "jailbreaking" your iphon4, because they want to keep your business. For those who wish to use both Verizon (or another provider) and their regular cell phone, it is not necessary to purchase another smart phone. You can modify your iphone4 to use another provider. After your initial contract with AT and T is over, you can switch. (They don't want you to know that).

Several things are necessary. You may need to first jailbreak your iphone. You can learn how to do this on youtube and other sources if you Google it. The newest Apple OS is more resistant to jailbreaking, but it is still possible. Second, you need to modify a SIM card and replace the one you have now. This is surprisingly easy, with a pair of scissors and a template to "fit" your iphone. You can trim any SIM card which will not damage the card, and once you get it installed in your iphone, you're up and running. You just go back and forth with the original SIM card...and your "trimmed" one.

You can also reverse jailbreak your iphone if you want to. Some SIM cards offer the ability to just insert the card without jailbreaking your iphone. Rebel Sim card is one such provider, but I don't have any experience with it.

You should look into services like LINE2, which is an excellent provider of an ADDITIONAL telephone number for your iphone, for a monthly charge. You can use it monthly (more expensive) or sign up for 6+ months (cheaper).  Line2 uses VOIP so you have to have an internet connection, but has a very clear signal for both sides, and very reasonable (or no additional) international rates.

If you travel a lot, I'd look into Line2 before you add an additional expensive service on AT%T to your iphone. It may have what you need...for much less...and even give you better options. (No, I don't work for either).

I'm not really sure that this post will remain on-line. I hope it helps.

sanjosemike

AT&T will not provide you with information about "jailbreaking" your iphon4, because they want to keep your business. For those who wish to use both Verizon (or another provider) and their regular cell phone, it is not necessary to purchase another smart phone. You can modify your iphone4 to use another provider. After your initial contract with AT and T is over, you can switch. (They don't want you to know that).

Several things are necessary. You may need to first jailbreak your iphone. You can learn how to do this on youtube and other sources if you Google it. The newest Apple OS is more resistant to jailbreaking, but it is still possible. Second, you need to modify a SIM card and replace the one you have now. This is surprisingly easy, with a pair of scissors and a template to "fit" your iphone. You can trim any SIM card which will not damage the card, and once you get it installed in your iphone, you're up and running. You just go back and forth with the original SIM card...and your "trimmed" one.

You can also reverse jailbreak your iphone if you want to. Some SIM cards offer the ability to just insert the card without jailbreaking your iphone. Rebel Sim card is one such provider, but I don't have any experience with it.

You should look into services like LINE2, which is an excellent provider of an ADDITIONAL telephone number for your iphone, for a monthly charge. You can use it monthly (more expensive) or sign up for 6+ months (cheaper).  Line2 uses VOIP so you have to have an internet connection, but has a very clear signal for both sides, and very reasonable (or no additional) international rates.

If you travel a lot, I'd look into Line2 before you add an additional expensive service on AT%T to your iphone. It may have what you need...for much less...and even give you better options. (No, I don't work for either).

I'm not really sure that this post will remain on-line. I hope it helps.

sanjosemike

28 of 34 (1,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

29 of 34 (1,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 5:15:09 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by aristizzle on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:18:22 PM

"AT&T will not provide you with information about "jailbreaking" your iphon4, because they want to keep your business. For those who wish to use both Verizon (or another provider) and their regular cell phone, it is not necessary to purchase another smart phone. You can modify your iphone4 to use another provider. After your initial contract with AT and T is over, you can switch. (They don't want you to know that)."

Yeah listen to the guy trying to void your warranty with apple. And I would love to see you jailbreak your phone and put in a Verizon SIM card. ROFL. Go do a bit more research mike, your leading people in the wrong direction...Verizon does not use SIM cards, Verizon uses completely different technology then AT&T. A phone on AT&T will NOT work on Verizon and vice versa.

Oh and 4g was announced today... expect 4g out in most cities by the end of the year. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/ces-at-t-steps-on-the-4g-gas-lines-up-android-phones-tablets/43207

"AT&T will not provide you with information about "jailbreaking" your iphon4, because they want to keep your business. For those who wish to use both Verizon (or another provider) and their regular cell phone, it is not necessary to purchase another smart phone. You can modify your iphone4 to use another provider. After your initial contract with AT and T is over, you can switch. (They don't want you to know that)."

Yeah listen to the guy trying to void your warranty with apple. And I would love to see you jailbreak your phone and put in a Verizon SIM card. ROFL. Go do a bit more research mike, your leading people in the wrong direction...Verizon does not use SIM cards, Verizon uses completely different technology then AT&T. A phone on AT&T will NOT work on Verizon and vice versa.

Oh and 4g was announced today... expect 4g out in most cities by the end of the year. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/ces-at-t-steps-on-the-4g-gas-lines-up-android-phones-tablets/43207

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

[ Edited ]
30 of 34 (1,180 Views)