Helpful Links

AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

Tutor

AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

FYI for Verizon FIOS users out there.  After a day or so of playing around, calling AT&T tech support (nice guy, tried to be helpful), and reconfiguring my home network I got the microcell to come on-line.  

There's a bunch of network ports (not documented in the end-user manual) that need to be opened for the device to phone home and register.  Went into my Actiontec Router (Verizon - go with D-Link or even Cisco in the future), identified the microcell and put it into the DMZ.  The device came up in less than 15 minutes.

Good news - Got 5 bars in my house and am getting 2.4Mbps down and 48Kbps (?) up on my iPhone.  Bad news - can't get my wife's LG G500 to connect to the microcell.  

Hope this helps.

mrb 

Message 1 of 46
Tutor

Re: AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

Malibu Online!  Put the unit's IP address on the DMZ and we are good to go.  Took 15 minutes and we have 5 bars on six different phones.

Message 16 of 46
Contributor

I tried to fiddle with my microcell for four days.  Called ATT several times, called Verizon, neither believes it's their problem.  There seem to be a problem with with traffic going back and forth between the ATT cell and Verizon's modem.  ATT tech support spent in total close to 2 hours trying to fix it.  Gotta return the cell and will probably get a contract going with Verizon wireless (they have excellent coverage here).

Peter
Message 17 of 46
Guru

Peter...can't blame you for switching to Verizon if they have better coverage, but two things I thought I'd mention.

1st, despite the OP's experiences, I had no trouble configuring either of 2 Microcells connected to the same FiOS Actiontec router with no special configuration of the router.

2nd, I noticed you have a V557 (if that's current).  I have a V557 too.  It was one of my favorite phones, now in its resting place in a drawer with a lot of other no-longer-in-use stuff. Out of curiosity I charged up the V557 and put my SIM card it in.   It won't connect to the Microcell.

The Microcell is 3G only and if I remember correctly the V557 was a pre-3G handset.  (I'm too lazy to look it up and confirm, but iPhones, Motorola Karma QA1, Razr V3xx all connect to either of my Microcells but the V557 will not.

FWIW.

edit:  Someone mentioned MOCA vs. Cat 5 to the Actiontec...again, FWIW, my Actiontec is connected to my ONT via coax.  I'm using the standard, plain vanilla, FiOS configuration.

Message 18 of 46
Teacher

it says that the recommended MTU size needed for the Microcell is 1492 while the recommended MTU size for FIOS is 1500. (i definitely get faster speeds when my MTU is 1500)

could that be the culprit?

Message 19 of 46
Guru

areyesrn wrote:

it says that the recommended MTU size needed for the Microcell is 1492 while the recommended MTU size for FIOS is 1500. (i definitely get faster speeds when my MTU is 1500)

could that be the culprit?

Where does it say the recommended MTU is 1492?

My Actiontec Rev E MTU is set t default (Automatic) and that makes the MTU 1500.  So I doubt the default MTU of 1500 is the OP's problem.

Message 20 of 46
Teacher

http://www.wireless.att.com/media/en_US/swf/3Gmicrocell/ATT3GMicroCell-Troubleshooting.pdf

page 6

I'm still waiting for my Microcell to connect to AT&T.  it's been abut 2 hours.  I set my fios router to the default configuration and added the Microcell ip to the DMZ

Message 21 of 46
Guru

Ah.  I guess I never found that MTU recommendation because I was lucky enough not to have to wade through the troubleshooting section.

I wonder what the rationale is for them recommending 1492 when it would have a negative effect on other uses, and when 1500 seems to work most of the time.

Good luck getting the green light to come on steady.

Message 22 of 46
Teacher

man...it's been like 4 days.

attempted about 10 disconnections/reactivations of the microcell on the microcell website

4 hard resets of both the fios router and the microcell

microcell in the DMZ

yet, the 5 bars light is still blinking.

any other ideas?

Message 23 of 46
Guru

Think it might be time to exchange your Microcell for a another?   Maybe the unit you got is a dud?

BTW, just curious, where are you located?

Message 24 of 46

There's some kind of outage going on for activations.  See a bunch of the threads here.  Rather than returning your unit, I'd advise to wait until tomorrow or whenever they get the activation issues on their servers cleared up.  

Message 25 of 46
Teacher

yeah, i just called AT&T.  that's what they told me.  they said there's an issue with the website and well as making calls on microcells who are connected.  They said they should be finished by monday...and if my microcell isn't connected by then to give them a call...

Message 26 of 46
Teacher

I'm in Philadelphia, PA

Message 27 of 46
Guru

Ok. 

Hopefully at&t will fix the problem everyone seems to be having tomorrow. 

Message 28 of 46
Tutor

smashr wrote:

I completley reset my router to default factory settings, then before I turned the MicroCell back on, added a static DHCP lease for its MAC on the router. Finally I added the IP I assigned to the MicroCell as the DMZ host. Those were the only settings I needed to change.

MicroCell is working great now.

Later I'll try to set it up without the DMZ setting and just forward the right ports. I'll report back here if I manage to pull it off.

Where in the router configuration do you set the static DHCP leases? I tried forever to figure that out and could not. Right now I've had my router set to DHCP lease times of 9999 minutes which has filled up the DHCP table so much the router is almost unresponsive via admin now. Ugh.

Also, what is the DHCP name of the microcell? I didn't see anything stand out, but I do have a device I can't identify saying it's online (and has ports 22, 80, 8080 open but filtered... some hacker should figure out some spoofing and see if it can talk to itself)

Message 29 of 46
Teacher

ok...it works now after going to the website and reactivating.

guess the AT&T csr telling the truth...fior the first time.  LOL

Message 30 of 46
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support