Helpful Links

AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

Tutor

AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

FYI for Verizon FIOS users out there.  After a day or so of playing around, calling AT&T tech support (nice guy, tried to be helpful), and reconfiguring my home network I got the microcell to come on-line.  

There's a bunch of network ports (not documented in the end-user manual) that need to be opened for the device to phone home and register.  Went into my Actiontec Router (Verizon - go with D-Link or even Cisco in the future), identified the microcell and put it into the DMZ.  The device came up in less than 15 minutes.

Good news - Got 5 bars in my house and am getting 2.4Mbps down and 48Kbps (?) up on my iPhone.  Bad news - can't get my wife's LG G500 to connect to the microcell.  

Hope this helps.

mrb 

Message 1 of 46
Tutor

Re: AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

Thanks for the info mrb. Where are you located?

Message 2 of 46
Tutor

DMZ... hope your password is good

Message 3 of 46
Tutor

Boston, MA

Message 4 of 46
Tutor

Microcell has no user-side mgt interface/password.  It's a black box as far as ATT is concerned.  In fact they recommend you install it in "priority mode" which means between your home router and the carrier's broadband modem (an ONT in my case). 

Message 5 of 46
Tutor

did not know that because I don't have one.  Id rather not have a company charge me to provide them access to my network so they can charge me for usage more.

Message 6 of 46
Tutor

Did you have to do anything else other than set the Microcell to be in the DMZ? Mine is in the DMZ and I am still having troubles.

Message 7 of 46
Tutor

Things to keep in mind:

1) Need to have GPS lock (solid green line) - won't register without it.

2) Your current location has to equal the location the unit was registered to.

3) ATT has to offer wireless services in your area.

4) Use the yellow ethernet cable to connect to the router.

5) Make sure the router is the first one behind the broadband modem/ONT.

6) Microcell uses DHCP.  Can't assign a static IP.  Identify it's DHCP address via the router and give it a permanent address lease.

7) Make sure this is the host IP in the DMZ.

My two issues were (2), (6) and (7).  This thing uses a handful of ports to do NAT-traversal via IPSEC.

Hope this helps.

Mike Brown

Message 8 of 46
Tutor

1) It's solid.

2) Not a problem either

3) Yup

4) Done

5) Not sure what you mean by this one -- the router IS the broadband modem and is connected to the ONT via Coax MOCA. Could you clarify? Its the FIOS branded actiontec.

6) Yes, its using DHCP

7) And I've assigned this host as the DMZ.

Despite the box being the DMZ and 'Block IP fragmentation' being unchecked, I still see two things in the routers security log which are a bit weird:

Apr 30 00:52:51 2010 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Default policy TCP 12.230.208.xxx:443->96.255.106.xxx:50601 on clink0 [repeated 2 times, last time on Apr 30 00:52:51 2010]

Apr 30 00:53:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Defragmentation failed Fragmented packet, packet exceeds: UDP Fragment 192.168.123.57->12.230.208.xxx offset: 1472 on clink0

Apr 30 00:53:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Defragmentation failed Fragmented packet, packet exceeds: UDP 192.168.123.57:4500->12.230.208.xxx:4500 on clink0

Both of those should be allowed through with my current settings....

Any thoughts?

Message 9 of 46
Tutor

I run multiple wireless routers in my net.  Originally tried to hook up the microcell to one of the routers behind the Actiontec - no go because of port mapping issues.

Only thing I can think of is in the Actiontec a) make sure that MTU size is set to automatic (or try 1500), and b) enable universal plug in play UPnP.

Hope this helps.  Sure you'll get it to work eventually....

Mike B.

Message 10 of 46
Tutor

One more thing.  Noticed you're hooked up to ONT via Moca.  That may also be an issue.  I had Ethernet on the ONT enabled when it was installed.  Planned on bypassing the Actiontec at some point in time....

Message 11 of 46
Tutor

I completley reset my router to default factory settings, then before I turned the MicroCell back on, added a static DHCP lease for its MAC on the router. Finally I added the IP I assigned to the MicroCell as the DMZ host. Those were the only settings I needed to change.

MicroCell is working great now.

Later I'll try to set it up without the DMZ setting and just forward the right ports. I'll report back here if I manage to pull it off.

Message 12 of 46
Contributor

I just installed my MicroCell, can't get it to work.

I get a GPS lock, but the antenna lights keep flashing.

Tried rebooting, same problem.

There are no mention of any special configuration required for use behind a router.

The "firewall specification" makes no mention of inbound or outbound, so I assume outbound.

As such I do not expect to have to make any network changes.

I'll call support before I fiddle with the firewall settings.

Smiley Sad

P.

Message 13 of 46
Tutor

Try putting the Microcell in your router's DMZ - that worked for me.

Message 14 of 46
Contributor

I called support.

They asked me to power of the microcell and power of the router, then restart the router, then the microcell.

I did not have to make any configuration changes to the router.

And it worked.

P.

Message 15 of 46
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support