Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 23, 2010
8:51:01 PM
View profile
AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

FYI for Verizon FIOS users out there.  After a day or so of playing around, calling AT&T tech support (nice guy, tried to be helpful), and reconfiguring my home network I got the microcell to come on-line.  

There's a bunch of network ports (not documented in the end-user manual) that need to be opened for the device to phone home and register.  Went into my Actiontec Router (Verizon - go with D-Link or even Cisco in the future), identified the microcell and put it into the DMZ.  The device came up in less than 15 minutes.

Good news - Got 5 bars in my house and am getting 2.4Mbps down and 48Kbps (?) up on my iPhone.  Bad news - can't get my wife's LG G500 to connect to the microcell.  

Hope this helps.

mrb 

FYI for Verizon FIOS users out there.  After a day or so of playing around, calling AT&T tech support (nice guy, tried to be helpful), and reconfiguring my home network I got the microcell to come on-line.  

There's a bunch of network ports (not documented in the end-user manual) that need to be opened for the device to phone home and register.  Went into my Actiontec Router (Verizon - go with D-Link or even Cisco in the future), identified the microcell and put it into the DMZ.  The device came up in less than 15 minutes.

Good news - Got 5 bars in my house and am getting 2.4Mbps down and 48Kbps (?) up on my iPhone.  Bad news - can't get my wife's LG G500 to connect to the microcell.  

Hope this helps.

mrb 

AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

45 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(45)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 12:21:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the info mrb. Where are you located?

Thanks for the info mrb. Where are you located?

Re: AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

2 of 46 (9,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 8:12:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jsteelm on Apr 25, 2010 at 8:14:27 AM

DMZ... hope your password is good

DMZ... hope your password is good

[ Edited ]
3 of 46 (9,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 8:15:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Boston, MA

Boston, MA

4 of 46 (9,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 8:17:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

Microcell has no user-side mgt interface/password.  It's a black box as far as ATT is concerned.  In fact they recommend you install it in "priority mode" which means between your home router and the carrier's broadband modem (an ONT in my case). 

Microcell has no user-side mgt interface/password.  It's a black box as far as ATT is concerned.  In fact they recommend you install it in "priority mode" which means between your home router and the carrier's broadband modem (an ONT in my case). 

5 of 46 (9,578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 8:26:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

did not know that because I don't have one.  Id rather not have a company charge me to provide them access to my network so they can charge me for usage more.

did not know that because I don't have one.  Id rather not have a company charge me to provide them access to my network so they can charge me for usage more.

6 of 46 (9,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 10:27:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Did you have to do anything else other than set the Microcell to be in the DMZ? Mine is in the DMZ and I am still having troubles.

Did you have to do anything else other than set the Microcell to be in the DMZ? Mine is in the DMZ and I am still having troubles.

7 of 46 (9,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 3:34:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Things to keep in mind:

1) Need to have GPS lock (solid green line) - won't register without it.

2) Your current location has to equal the location the unit was registered to.

3) ATT has to offer wireless services in your area.

4) Use the yellow ethernet cable to connect to the router.

5) Make sure the router is the first one behind the broadband modem/ONT.

6) Microcell uses DHCP.  Can't assign a static IP.  Identify it's DHCP address via the router and give it a permanent address lease.

7) Make sure this is the host IP in the DMZ.

My two issues were (2), (6) and (7).  This thing uses a handful of ports to do NAT-traversal via IPSEC.

Hope this helps.

Mike Brown

Things to keep in mind:

1) Need to have GPS lock (solid green line) - won't register without it.

2) Your current location has to equal the location the unit was registered to.

3) ATT has to offer wireless services in your area.

4) Use the yellow ethernet cable to connect to the router.

5) Make sure the router is the first one behind the broadband modem/ONT.

6) Microcell uses DHCP.  Can't assign a static IP.  Identify it's DHCP address via the router and give it a permanent address lease.

7) Make sure this is the host IP in the DMZ.

My two issues were (2), (6) and (7).  This thing uses a handful of ports to do NAT-traversal via IPSEC.

Hope this helps.

Mike Brown

8 of 46 (9,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 6:57:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

1) It's solid.

2) Not a problem either

3) Yup

4) Done

5) Not sure what you mean by this one -- the router IS the broadband modem and is connected to the ONT via Coax MOCA. Could you clarify? Its the FIOS branded actiontec.

6) Yes, its using DHCP

7) And I've assigned this host as the DMZ.

Despite the box being the DMZ and 'Block IP fragmentation' being unchecked, I still see two things in the routers security log which are a bit weird:

Apr 30 00:52:51 2010 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Default policy TCP 12.230.208.xxx:443->96.255.106.xxx:50601 on clink0 [repeated 2 times, last time on Apr 30 00:52:51 2010]

Apr 30 00:53:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Defragmentation failed Fragmented packet, packet exceeds: UDP Fragment 192.168.123.57->12.230.208.xxx offset: 1472 on clink0

Apr 30 00:53:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Defragmentation failed Fragmented packet, packet exceeds: UDP 192.168.123.57:4500->12.230.208.xxx:4500 on clink0

Both of those should be allowed through with my current settings....

Any thoughts?

1) It's solid.

2) Not a problem either

3) Yup

4) Done

5) Not sure what you mean by this one -- the router IS the broadband modem and is connected to the ONT via Coax MOCA. Could you clarify? Its the FIOS branded actiontec.

6) Yes, its using DHCP

7) And I've assigned this host as the DMZ.

Despite the box being the DMZ and 'Block IP fragmentation' being unchecked, I still see two things in the routers security log which are a bit weird:

Apr 30 00:52:51 2010 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Default policy TCP 12.230.208.xxx:443->96.255.106.xxx:50601 on clink0 [repeated 2 times, last time on Apr 30 00:52:51 2010]

Apr 30 00:53:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Defragmentation failed Fragmented packet, packet exceeds: UDP Fragment 192.168.123.57->12.230.208.xxx offset: 1472 on clink0

Apr 30 00:53:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Defragmentation failed Fragmented packet, packet exceeds: UDP 192.168.123.57:4500->12.230.208.xxx:4500 on clink0

Both of those should be allowed through with my current settings....

Any thoughts?

9 of 46 (9,427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 7:50:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

I run multiple wireless routers in my net.  Originally tried to hook up the microcell to one of the routers behind the Actiontec - no go because of port mapping issues.

Only thing I can think of is in the Actiontec a) make sure that MTU size is set to automatic (or try 1500), and b) enable universal plug in play UPnP.

Hope this helps.  Sure you'll get it to work eventually....

Mike B.

I run multiple wireless routers in my net.  Originally tried to hook up the microcell to one of the routers behind the Actiontec - no go because of port mapping issues.

Only thing I can think of is in the Actiontec a) make sure that MTU size is set to automatic (or try 1500), and b) enable universal plug in play UPnP.

Hope this helps.  Sure you'll get it to work eventually....

Mike B.

10 of 46 (9,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 7:52:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

One more thing.  Noticed you're hooked up to ONT via Moca.  That may also be an issue.  I had Ethernet on the ONT enabled when it was installed.  Planned on bypassing the Actiontec at some point in time....

One more thing.  Noticed you're hooked up to ONT via Moca.  That may also be an issue.  I had Ethernet on the ONT enabled when it was installed.  Planned on bypassing the Actiontec at some point in time....

11 of 46 (7,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 1:10:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I completley reset my router to default factory settings, then before I turned the MicroCell back on, added a static DHCP lease for its MAC on the router. Finally I added the IP I assigned to the MicroCell as the DMZ host. Those were the only settings I needed to change.

MicroCell is working great now.

Later I'll try to set it up without the DMZ setting and just forward the right ports. I'll report back here if I manage to pull it off.

I completley reset my router to default factory settings, then before I turned the MicroCell back on, added a static DHCP lease for its MAC on the router. Finally I added the IP I assigned to the MicroCell as the DMZ host. Those were the only settings I needed to change.

Later I'll try to set it up without the DMZ setting and just forward the right ports. I'll report back here if I manage to pull it off.

12 of 46 (7,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 10:55:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just installed my MicroCell, can't get it to work.

I get a GPS lock, but the antenna lights keep flashing.

Tried rebooting, same problem.

There are no mention of any special configuration required for use behind a router.

The "firewall specification" makes no mention of inbound or outbound, so I assume outbound.

As such I do not expect to have to make any network changes.

I'll call support before I fiddle with the firewall settings.

Smiley Sad

P.

I just installed my MicroCell, can't get it to work.

I get a GPS lock, but the antenna lights keep flashing.

Tried rebooting, same problem.

There are no mention of any special configuration required for use behind a router.

The "firewall specification" makes no mention of inbound or outbound, so I assume outbound.

As such I do not expect to have to make any network changes.

I'll call support before I fiddle with the firewall settings.

Smiley Sad

P.

13 of 46 (7,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2010 7:40:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

Try putting the Microcell in your router's DMZ - that worked for me.

Try putting the Microcell in your router's DMZ - that worked for me.

14 of 46 (7,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2010 9:11:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ptr727 on May 8, 2010 at 9:12:02 AM

I called support.

They asked me to power of the microcell and power of the router, then restart the router, then the microcell.

I did not have to make any configuration changes to the router.

And it worked.

P.

I called support.

They asked me to power of the microcell and power of the router, then restart the router, then the microcell.

I did not have to make any configuration changes to the router.

And it worked.

P.

[ Edited ]
15 of 46 (7,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2010 11:03:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Malibu Online!  Put the unit's IP address on the DMZ and we are good to go.  Took 15 minutes and we have 5 bars on six different phones.

Malibu Online!  Put the unit's IP address on the DMZ and we are good to go.  Took 15 minutes and we have 5 bars on six different phones.

16 of 46 (7,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 10:23:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

I tried to fiddle with my microcell for four days.  Called ATT several times, called Verizon, neither believes it's their problem.  There seem to be a problem with with traffic going back and forth between the ATT cell and Verizon's modem.  ATT tech support spent in total close to 2 hours trying to fix it.  Gotta return the cell and will probably get a contract going with Verizon wireless (they have excellent coverage here).

Peter

I tried to fiddle with my microcell for four days.  Called ATT several times, called Verizon, neither believes it's their problem.  There seem to be a problem with with traffic going back and forth between the ATT cell and Verizon's modem.  ATT tech support spent in total close to 2 hours trying to fix it.  Gotta return the cell and will probably get a contract going with Verizon wireless (they have excellent coverage here).

17 of 46 (6,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 5:52:04 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jefe on Jun 23, 2010 at 5:53:20 AM

Peter...can't blame you for switching to Verizon if they have better coverage, but two things I thought I'd mention.

1st, despite the OP's experiences, I had no trouble configuring either of 2 Microcells connected to the same FiOS Actiontec router with no special configuration of the router.

2nd, I noticed you have a V557 (if that's current).  I have a V557 too.  It was one of my favorite phones, now in its resting place in a drawer with a lot of other no-longer-in-use stuff. Out of curiosity I charged up the V557 and put my SIM card it in.   It won't connect to the Microcell.

The Microcell is 3G only and if I remember correctly the V557 was a pre-3G handset.  (I'm too lazy to look it up and confirm, but iPhones, Motorola Karma QA1, Razr V3xx all connect to either of my Microcells but the V557 will not.

FWIW.

edit:  Someone mentioned MOCA vs. Cat 5 to the Actiontec...again, FWIW, my Actiontec is connected to my ONT via coax.  I'm using the standard, plain vanilla, FiOS configuration.

Peter...can't blame you for switching to Verizon if they have better coverage, but two things I thought I'd mention.

1st, despite the OP's experiences, I had no trouble configuring either of 2 Microcells connected to the same FiOS Actiontec router with no special configuration of the router.

2nd, I noticed you have a V557 (if that's current).  I have a V557 too.  It was one of my favorite phones, now in its resting place in a drawer with a lot of other no-longer-in-use stuff. Out of curiosity I charged up the V557 and put my SIM card it in.   It won't connect to the Microcell.

The Microcell is 3G only and if I remember correctly the V557 was a pre-3G handset.  (I'm too lazy to look it up and confirm, but iPhones, Motorola Karma QA1, Razr V3xx all connect to either of my Microcells but the V557 will not.

FWIW.

edit:  Someone mentioned MOCA vs. Cat 5 to the Actiontec...again, FWIW, my Actiontec is connected to my ONT via coax.  I'm using the standard, plain vanilla, FiOS configuration.

[ Edited ]
18 of 46 (6,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 10:10:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

it says that the recommended MTU size needed for the Microcell is 1492 while the recommended MTU size for FIOS is 1500. (i definitely get faster speeds when my MTU is 1500)

could that be the culprit?

it says that the recommended MTU size needed for the Microcell is 1492 while the recommended MTU size for FIOS is 1500. (i definitely get faster speeds when my MTU is 1500)

19 of 46 (6,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 10:32:31 AM
(0)
Guru

areyesrn wrote:

Where does it say the recommended MTU is 1492?

My Actiontec Rev E MTU is set t default (Automatic) and that makes the MTU 1500.  So I doubt the default MTU of 1500 is the OP's problem.

areyesrn wrote:

Where does it say the recommended MTU is 1492?

My Actiontec Rev E MTU is set t default (Automatic) and that makes the MTU 1500.  So I doubt the default MTU of 1500 is the OP's problem.

20 of 46 (6,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 1:12:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

http://www.wireless.att.com/media/en_US/swf/3Gmicrocell/ATT3GMicroCell-Troubleshooting.pdf

page 6

I'm still waiting for my Microcell to connect to AT&T.  it's been abut 2 hours.  I set my fios router to the default configuration and added the Microcell ip to the DMZ

http://www.wireless.att.com/media/en_US/swf/3Gmicrocell/ATT3GMicroCell-Troubleshooting.pdf

page 6

I'm still waiting for my Microcell to connect to AT&T.  it's been abut 2 hours.  I set my fios router to the default configuration and added the Microcell ip to the DMZ

21 of 46 (5,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 1:37:41 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jefe on Jun 26, 2010 at 1:38:25 PM

Ah.  I guess I never found that MTU recommendation because I was lucky enough not to have to wade through the troubleshooting section.

I wonder what the rationale is for them recommending 1492 when it would have a negative effect on other uses, and when 1500 seems to work most of the time.

Good luck getting the green light to come on steady.

Ah.  I guess I never found that MTU recommendation because I was lucky enough not to have to wade through the troubleshooting section.

I wonder what the rationale is for them recommending 1492 when it would have a negative effect on other uses, and when 1500 seems to work most of the time.

Good luck getting the green light to come on steady.

[ Edited ]
22 of 46 (5,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 5:25:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

man...it's been like 4 days.

attempted about 10 disconnections/reactivations of the microcell on the microcell website

4 hard resets of both the fios router and the microcell

microcell in the DMZ

yet, the 5 bars light is still blinking.

any other ideas?

man...it's been like 4 days.

attempted about 10 disconnections/reactivations of the microcell on the microcell website

4 hard resets of both the fios router and the microcell

microcell in the DMZ

yet, the 5 bars light is still blinking.

any other ideas?

23 of 46 (5,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 5:55:03 AM
(0)
Guru

Think it might be time to exchange your Microcell for a another?   Maybe the unit you got is a dud?

BTW, just curious, where are you located?

Think it might be time to exchange your Microcell for a another?   Maybe the unit you got is a dud?

BTW, just curious, where are you located?

24 of 46 (5,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 8:34:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

There's some kind of outage going on for activations.  See a bunch of the threads here.  Rather than returning your unit, I'd advise to wait until tomorrow or whenever they get the activation issues on their servers cleared up.  

There's some kind of outage going on for activations.  See a bunch of the threads here.  Rather than returning your unit, I'd advise to wait until tomorrow or whenever they get the activation issues on their servers cleared up.  

25 of 46 (5,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 9:57:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

yeah, i just called AT&T.  that's what they told me.  they said there's an issue with the website and well as making calls on microcells who are connected.  They said they should be finished by monday...and if my microcell isn't connected by then to give them a call...

yeah, i just called AT&T.  that's what they told me.  they said there's an issue with the website and well as making calls on microcells who are connected.  They said they should be finished by monday...and if my microcell isn't connected by then to give them a call...

26 of 46 (5,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 9:58:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

I'm in Philadelphia, PA

I'm in Philadelphia, PA

27 of 46 (5,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 10:01:35 AM
(0)
Guru

Ok. 

Hopefully at&t will fix the problem everyone seems to be having tomorrow. 

Ok. 

Hopefully at&t will fix the problem everyone seems to be having tomorrow. 

28 of 46 (5,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2010 10:09:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

smashr wrote:

Where in the router configuration do you set the static DHCP leases? I tried forever to figure that out and could not. Right now I've had my router set to DHCP lease times of 9999 minutes which has filled up the DHCP table so much the router is almost unresponsive via admin now. Ugh.

Also, what is the DHCP name of the microcell? I didn't see anything stand out, but I do have a device I can't identify saying it's online (and has ports 22, 80, 8080 open but filtered... some hacker should figure out some spoofing and see if it can talk to itself)

smashr wrote:

Where in the router configuration do you set the static DHCP leases? I tried forever to figure that out and could not. Right now I've had my router set to DHCP lease times of 9999 minutes which has filled up the DHCP table so much the router is almost unresponsive via admin now. Ugh.

Also, what is the DHCP name of the microcell? I didn't see anything stand out, but I do have a device I can't identify saying it's online (and has ports 22, 80, 8080 open but filtered... some hacker should figure out some spoofing and see if it can talk to itself)

29 of 46 (5,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 6:49:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

ok...it works now after going to the website and reactivating.

guess the AT&T csr telling the truth...fior the first time.  LOL

ok...it works now after going to the website and reactivating.

guess the AT&T csr telling the truth...fior the first time.  LOL

30 of 46 (5,466 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments