AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

Tutor

AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

FYI for Verizon FIOS users out there.  After a day or so of playing around, calling AT&T tech support (nice guy, tried to be helpful), and reconfiguring my home network I got the microcell to come on-line.  

There's a bunch of network ports (not documented in the end-user manual) that need to be opened for the device to phone home and register.  Went into my Actiontec Router (Verizon - go with D-Link or even Cisco in the future), identified the microcell and put it into the DMZ.  The device came up in less than 15 minutes.

Good news - Got 5 bars in my house and am getting 2.4Mbps down and 48Kbps (?) up on my iPhone.  Bad news - can't get my wife's LG G500 to connect to the microcell.  

Hope this helps.

mrb 

Message 1 of 46 (10,490 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: AT&T 3G Microcell and Verizon FIOS

The FIOS Actiontec router (REV F) is the problem.

After a month of troubleshooting, replacing routers, dmzing, setting up port triggering, port forwarding, advanced filtering....Today I called verizon and had my ONT switched to ethernet.  Then replaced that router with an old Linksys router that I loaded DD-WRT on.  I reset everything to default on the DD-WRT router, then I connected my DIR-825 (DHCP turned off) router to that.  Did a few tests to check my ping and speed.  All was good.

So then I plugged the cat5 cable from my ATT 3G Microcell into the DIR-825 router(YES two routers deep).  And in the time it took me to login to the DDWRT router and to make sure that it gave the Microcell an IP, I received a text from ATT saying my microcell was successfully activated. 

These actiontec routers are complete junk... case closed!

Message 46 of 46 (2,017 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.