Wireless Forums

Posted Feb 26, 2009
3:09:26 PM
View profile
APN Settings: wap.cingular or isp.cingular?
I've got a BlackBerry Bold with the Unlimited Blackberry Data plan (BIS, not BES, no tethering) and was wondering what I should be using for APN settings, wap.cingular or isp.cingular?  isp.cingular works better for me so I'd like to keep using it but I've noticed that it's shoing up as a separate line item on my bill (though at $0.00/KB) and I'd like to make sure that I won't be charged.
I've got a BlackBerry Bold with the Unlimited Blackberry Data plan (BIS, not BES, no tethering) and was wondering what I should be using for APN settings, wap.cingular or isp.cingular?  isp.cingular works better for me so I'd like to keep using it but I've noticed that it's shoing up as a separate line item on my bill (though at $0.00/KB) and I'd like to make sure that I won't be charged.

APN Settings: wap.cingular or isp.cingular?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 3:46:06 PM
(0)
Professor
You can use either one and should not receive additional charges, however some features may not work with isp.cingular.
You can use either one and should not receive additional charges, however some features may not work with isp.cingular.

Re: APN Settings: wap.cingular or isp.cingular?

2 of 11 (38,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 4:06:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

isp.cingular is for a Feature called Tethering only.  It may catch up with you that you are using an incorrect APN and do not have the correct feature on your account to enable use.  Therefore you may end up with charges @ .01/KB used.

wap.cingular is the default APN for Device Browsers and Unlimited Data Plans.  usage under this APN when you have an Unlimited Data Plan will not be billed extra.

isp.cingular is for a Feature called Tethering only.  It may catch up with you that you are using an incorrect APN and do not have the correct feature on your account to enable use.  Therefore you may end up with charges @ .01/KB used.

wap.cingular is the default APN for Device Browsers and Unlimited Data Plans.  usage under this APN when you have an Unlimited Data Plan will not be billed extra.

3 of 11 (38,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2009 9:07:18 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by jasonlitka on Feb 27, 2009 at 9:08:10 AM

Ok...  So I got two replies with two different answers...  That's pretty much what I got when I asked on CrackBerry as well.  The AT&T online chat reps don't know the answer and I've not been able to get through to the phone reps within the 20 minutes I have for lunch.

Not to be rude to the two users that replied, but can an AT&T rep chime in here and give me a straight answer?

Message Edited by jasonlitka on 02-27-2009 12:08:10 PM

Ok...  So I got two replies with two different answers...  That's pretty much what I got when I asked on CrackBerry as well.  The AT&T online chat reps don't know the answer and I've not been able to get through to the phone reps within the 20 minutes I have for lunch.

Not to be rude to the two users that replied, but can an AT&T rep chime in here and give me a straight answer?

Message Edited by jasonlitka on 02-27-2009 12:08:10 PM

[ Edited ]
4 of 11 (38,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2009 9:14:12 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Jgibson7 on Feb 27, 2009 at 9:14:36 AM

This is a customer forum and AT&T reps will not answer here.  Wabbit is correct in this case.  wap.cingular is the default APN for the AT&T data network.  isp.cingular is used for tethering and modem use only.  Additional charges may result without correct provisioning on the account.

Message Edited by Jgibson7 on 02-27-2009 09:14:36 AM

This is a customer forum and AT&T reps will not answer here.  Wabbit is correct in this case.  wap.cingular is the default APN for the AT&T data network.  isp.cingular is used for tethering and modem use only.  Additional charges may result without correct provisioning on the account.

Message Edited by Jgibson7 on 02-27-2009 09:14:36 AM

[ Edited ]
5 of 11 (38,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2009 9:26:26 AM
(0)
Contributor
"forums.wireless.att.com" with a title of "Wireless Forums from AT&T" doesn't exactly sound like a community forum.  If I had known it was, I wouldn't have bothered registering and asking the question as I've already got conflicting info from end-users.  Again, no disrespect intended, but I am only intersted in an answer directly from AT&T as this is my money on the line.  They sold me an "Unlimited" data plan and I've got applications that only work through isp.cingular, so if they intend to force me to upgrade to a tethering plan to use isp.cingular from my phone then I'm going to drop them for lying about what I can do with my "unlimited" plan.
"forums.wireless.att.com" with a title of "Wireless Forums from AT&T" doesn't exactly sound like a community forum.  If I had known it was, I wouldn't have bothered registering and asking the question as I've already got conflicting info from end-users.  Again, no disrespect intended, but I am only intersted in an answer directly from AT&T as this is my money on the line.  They sold me an "Unlimited" data plan and I've got applications that only work through isp.cingular, so if they intend to force me to upgrade to a tethering plan to use isp.cingular from my phone then I'm going to drop them for lying about what I can do with my "unlimited" plan.

6 of 11 (38,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2009 9:59:27 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by youngjm on Feb 27, 2009 at 10:02:48 AM

jasonlitka wrote:

Call 611 from your phone and ask them.  As customers, we usually can sort out the right answer.   I usually place more credence on users here with more posts than I and/or demontrate a track record of having the right answers.

If you read the forum guidelines :  http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=announcements&message.id=1

The first few lines directly spell out that we are customers here:

Wireless Forums for AT&T - Usage Guidelines

AT&T provides these Wireless Forums (“Forums”) as a service to its users and customers, to help them exchange ideas, tips, information, and techniques related to our wireless services.

Message Edited by youngjm on 02-27-2009 01:02:43 PM
Message Edited by youngjm on 02-27-2009 01:02:48 PM

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

jasonlitka wrote:

Call 611 from your phone and ask them.  As customers, we usually can sort out the right answer.   I usually place more credence on users here with more posts than I and/or demontrate a track record of having the right answers.

If you read the forum guidelines :  http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=announcements&message.id=1

The first few lines directly spell out that we are customers here:

Wireless Forums for AT&T - Usage Guidelines

AT&T provides these Wireless Forums (“Forums”) as a service to its users and customers, to help them exchange ideas, tips, information, and techniques related to our wireless services.

Message Edited by youngjm on 02-27-2009 01:02:43 PM
Message Edited by youngjm on 02-27-2009 01:02:48 PM

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

[ Edited ]
7 of 11 (38,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2009 11:15:48 AM
(0)
Guru
I fyou have applications that work via isp.cingular, then you MUST have tethering.  As the only application I know of that uses this APN is tethering/ACM.  So thus no one lied, you just have some application not provided by AT&T that does not work unless you have the appropriate data plan.
I fyou have applications that work via isp.cingular, then you MUST have tethering.  As the only application I know of that uses this APN is tethering/ACM.  So thus no one lied, you just have some application not provided by AT&T that does not work unless you have the appropriate data plan.

8 of 11 (38,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2009 6:22:29 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Dream Rider on Feb 27, 2009 at 6:40:40 PM

HMMMM  I thoutght isp.cingular was used originally before wap.cingular was used. According to the rep I spoke to the additional billing issues were corrected a while ago.

check out this link

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Carrier_specific_APN/TCP_settings

Message Edited by Dream Rider on 02-27-2009 06:40:40 PM

HMMMM  I thoutght isp.cingular was used originally before wap.cingular was used. According to the rep I spoke to the additional billing issues were corrected a while ago.

check out this link

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Carrier_specific_APN/TCP_settings

Message Edited by Dream Rider on 02-27-2009 06:40:40 PM

[ Edited ]
9 of 11 (38,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2009 8:24:22 PM
(0)
Tutor
Has anybody discovered a solution to this? I am also needing the correct answer. I have a third party app that will only work with isp.cingular. I have an unlimited data plan and using BB 8110. According to the link Dream Rider posted, Blackberry make it very clear that BB users can now use isp.cingular without any problem. I am just cautious as I do not want to incur additional data charges.
Has anybody discovered a solution to this? I am also needing the correct answer. I have a third party app that will only work with isp.cingular. I have an unlimited data plan and using BB 8110. According to the link Dream Rider posted, Blackberry make it very clear that BB users can now use isp.cingular without any problem. I am just cautious as I do not want to incur additional data charges.

10 of 11 (36,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2009 11:51:40 AM
(0)
Mentor
Isp.cingular is only used for aircards and tethering phones. Outside of tethering all at&t phones use wap.cingular for standard internet access. While it is true you can configure your phone to use isp.cingular without the appropriate data plan beware that charges may apply sometime in the future.
Isp.cingular is only used for aircards and tethering phones. Outside of tethering all at&t phones use wap.cingular for standard internet access. While it is true you can configure your phone to use isp.cingular without the appropriate data plan beware that charges may apply sometime in the future.

11 of 11 (14,331 Views)