Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 31, 2011
3:28:14 AM
View profile
ANDROID: Which Apps Do You Have

Share your android app experience with others.  Have you found the absolute must-have tool and recommend it to others? How about apps you sampled and would never install on your android phone? Looking for something that you can't find in the android market "or" amazon appstore?   Reply with your personal experience to the following bullet items and share any additional comments and thoughts.

Smiley MSN Emoticon alien bot 045.gifSmiley MSN Emoticon bot 192.gifSmiley MSN Emoticon space critter 047.gif

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)
400 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(400)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 4:14:00 AM
(0)
Professor

See!?

device-2011-09-15-060309.pngdevice-2011-09-15-060337.png

Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:

See!?

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: ANDROID: Which Apps Do You Have

331 of 401 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 4:43:37 AM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

See!?

WOW thats odd! I see what you are saying.  have you relogged back onto the market to see if an additional update was there?  I did last night and there was another one. I am guessing the developer hd to do a quick fix (ironic timing since your post).   

Also, what happens when you uninstall and roll back to a backup copy before the updates?

Better yet, what happens if you uninstall then reinstall direct from the market again?

Ann154 wrote:

See!?

WOW thats odd! I see what you are saying.  have you relogged back onto the market to see if an additional update was there?  I did last night and there was another one. I am guessing the developer hd to do a quick fix (ironic timing since your post).   

Also, what happens when you uninstall and roll back to a backup copy before the updates?

Better yet, what happens if you uninstall then reinstall direct from the market again?

332 of 401 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 4:46:34 AM
(0)
Professor
I will try uninstalling and reinstall later. I need to export all of my test results out of the application first. I don't change servers often so I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.
I will try uninstalling and reinstall later. I need to export all of my test results out of the application first. I don't change servers often so I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

333 of 401 (668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 4:50:50 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:52:16 AM

Yup, after seeing that white blank space where a scrolling list of server location should appear was an eyeopener. Anxious to see what the cause is and what resolves it. You are exporting your test results? You are keeping a running log of your speed tests? Ive been deleting them... I guess i should start saving/archiving them. thanks!

How are you exporting the log?  I can only see an email option (one by one)?

Yup, after seeing that white blank space where a scrolling list of server location should appear was an eyeopener. Anxious to see what the cause is and what resolves it. You are exporting your test results? You are keeping a running log of your speed tests? Ive been deleting them... I guess i should start saving/archiving them. thanks!

How are you exporting the log?  I can only see an email option (one by one)?

[ Edited ]
334 of 401 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 10:27:59 AM
(0)
Professor
Speedtest.net responded quickly to my email and and have notified me that a bug fix will be released on the Market shortly. :smileyhappy: :smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:
Speedtest.net responded quickly to my email and and have notified me that a bug fix will be released on the Market shortly. :smileyhappy: :smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:

335 of 401 (654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 10:32:17 AM
(0)
Professor
In the results tab, press menu and then export results to csv and email. It only grabs the top 100 results so if you have more you have to export the first 100, delete those 100 and export the next 100.

Rinse and repeat...

Yes I have started keeping a running excel file with my results. Both to see the differences in speeds vs connection and a chance to learn how to work with Office 2007 at home.
In the results tab, press menu and then export results to csv and email. It only grabs the top 100 results so if you have more you have to export the first 100, delete those 100 and export the next 100.

Rinse and repeat...

Yes I have started keeping a running excel file with my results. Both to see the differences in speeds vs connection and a chance to learn how to work with Office 2007 at home.

336 of 401 (653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 11:23:31 AM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
WOW! :smileyhappy: Talk about CLOUT! Somebody got some serious " pull" who I know, im not naming names! :smileywink: Please let me know when the modification hits the market! I too, will download the Android154 initiated update!

"Rinse and Repeat", haha, I likes! I will do just that right now!

Ann154 wrote:
WOW! :smileyhappy: Talk about CLOUT! Somebody got some serious " pull" who I know, im not naming names! :smileywink: Please let me know when the modification hits the market! I too, will download the Android154 initiated update!

"Rinse and Repeat", haha, I likes! I will do just that right now!

337 of 401 (651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 2:06:22 PM
(0)
Professor
I think it is available now Speedtest.net 2.0.5 version.
I think it is available now Speedtest.net 2.0.5 version.

338 of 401 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 2:19:07 PM
(0)
Professor
Great, Anndroid154! I am going to go give it a go! I cant wait to see your screenshots where its working for you!
Great, Anndroid154! I am going to go give it a go! I cant wait to see your screenshots where its working for you!

339 of 401 (642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 2:58:18 PM
(0)
Professor

Anndroid154! i see the updaet on the market as we speak (well, type).. I just read a very recent review whre someone is asking why so many updates... lol, i sent my review to follow up with saying i know someone who... and the developer followup was prompt, and accurate.    lemme know when you see my review on the product in the market!  

Anndroid154! i see the updaet on the market as we speak (well, type).. I just read a very recent review whre someone is asking why so many updates... lol, i sent my review to follow up with saying i know someone who... and the developer followup was prompt, and accurate.    lemme know when you see my review on the product in the market!  

340 of 401 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 3:01:13 PM
(0)
Professor
hmmm, looks like a 'rollback' to a prior copy of the app. i guess they pulled what ever update they made to it yesterday and placed a prior version out there to fix what your device revealed. let me know if whats out there now workes on your phone. hmmmm.
hmmm, looks like a 'rollback' to a prior copy of the app. i guess they pulled what ever update they made to it yesterday and placed a prior version out there to fix what your device revealed. let me know if whats out there now workes on your phone. hmmmm.

341 of 401 (714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 3:21:41 PM
(0)
Professor
I don't see your review yet.

I don't see your review yet.

342 of 401 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 3:29:54 PM
(0)
Professor
Hmmm, i wonder if online reviews gets posted later than reviews submited from the device? Let me log back on and see (ive downloaded from the computer this time instead of my phone). do you see a comment from an "alex" as recent as today asking why so many app updates?
Hmmm, i wonder if online reviews gets posted later than reviews submited from the device? Let me log back on and see (ive downloaded from the computer this time instead of my phone). do you see a comment from an "alex" as recent as today asking why so many app updates?

343 of 401 (709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 3:52:08 PM
(0)
Professor
"Data Thief" Alex?
"Data Thief" Alex?

344 of 401 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 4:26:16 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:27:17 PM

Yep, the rascal... no wait! Data Thief Alex is not me! lol, i posted after he did to  say i know somone who prompted the recent modification. u see it yet?

Yep, the rascal... no wait! Data Thief Alex is not me! lol, i posted after he did to  say i know somone who prompted the recent modification. u see it yet?

[ Edited ]
345 of 401 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 3:33:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Rico wanted me to post a great screenshot/screen capture app, so here it is. This is the one I use, and it works great. It's so incredibly simple to just tap the virtual camera lens on the upper left hand corner of my phone than to try and figure out how to to do it manually on my phone pressing the Home and Back buttons numerous times and failing miserably. :smileywink:

Here it is, everyone - Shortcut Screen Capture Free: https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.tomorrowkey.android.screencaptureshortcutfree&hl=en

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Rico wanted me to post a great screenshot/screen capture app, so here it is. This is the one I use, and it works great. It's so incredibly simple to just tap the virtual camera lens on the upper left hand corner of my phone than to try and figure out how to to do it manually on my phone pressing the Home and Back buttons numerous times and failing miserably. :smileywink:

Here it is, everyone - Shortcut Screen Capture Free: https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.tomorrowkey.android.screencaptureshortcutfree&hl=en

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

346 of 401 (689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 8:24:22 PM
(0)
Professor
Cool app WB! I will give this app a try muself! Soumds really nice!
Cool app WB! I will give this app a try muself! Soumds really nice!

347 of 401 (684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 11:08:41 PM
(0)
Mentor
I've got:

-Dam* You AutoCorrect...freakin' hilarious!
-Where's My Droid?
-Smart Transit
-Speed Test
-Zedge
-Live Profile (think BBM for Androids)
-YouTube Remote
-Mr Number (fantastic call blocker!)
-My Shopping List

And Angry Birds, of course! xD
I've got:

-Where's My Droid?
-Smart Transit
-Speed Test
-Zedge
-YouTube Remote
-My Shopping List

348 of 401 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 3:18:13 AM
(0)
Professor

KittySmurf wrote:
I've got:

-Where's My Droid?
-Smart Transit
-Speed Test
-Zedge
-YouTube Remote
-My Shopping List

Hi KittySmurf! Whats the first app? What does it do and do you have that link (hehe, got my interest by name alone).

Live Profile:

Ive  been looking for an app that will change certain settings throughout the day so that , say, during business hours, my phone will use a basic 'ringtone' like a simple office phone ringer instead of some of the "cheezy" ringtones i have (hehe)   and if i am in a meeting at a particluar time same time each day, like the profile to go silent, etc.

I am using Sound Manager (I see Anndroid154 has it too)  but it only adjusts the volume controls on a scheduled basis (but not profile driven to include ringtones, etc).

Mr. Number:

Does this app block calls that are "unknown"  or displayed "Private"?

KittySmurf wrote:
I've got:

-Where's My Droid?
-Smart Transit
-Speed Test
-Zedge
-YouTube Remote
-My Shopping List

Hi KittySmurf! Whats the first app? What does it do and do you have that link (hehe, got my interest by name alone).

Live Profile:

Ive  been looking for an app that will change certain settings throughout the day so that , say, during business hours, my phone will use a basic 'ringtone' like a simple office phone ringer instead of some of the "cheezy" ringtones i have (hehe)   and if i am in a meeting at a particluar time same time each day, like the profile to go silent, etc.

I am using Sound Manager (I see Anndroid154 has it too)  but it only adjusts the volume controls on a scheduled basis (but not profile driven to include ringtones, etc).

Mr. Number:

Does this app block calls that are "unknown"  or displayed "Private"?

349 of 401 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 2:52:54 PM
(0)
Professor

For the Database-type-geeks (like me!)

M E M E N T O

This is a portable database right on your android device! You can create multible databasees to store personal information such as collectibles, purchases , inventories, web links, even MP3! Collections and Ringtones.

You can set a password for  each database for protection!

I recently set up a custom database to track my Ringtones. I name the database, add fields, set the data types for each, even.  Entered my records including attaching the ringtone mp3 to each record entry.  Added a comment field and a auto datetimestamp when i created the ringtone and a date field that autofills when the record was entered to the database.

You can be very creative if you are the database kind. I plan to build a SpeedTest database, set up the approprioate fields to keep a log of my speed tests ! (inspired by none other than Anndroid154!!!)

Check it out:

memento1.JPG

memento2.JPG

For the Database-type-geeks (like me!)

M E M E N T O

This is a portable database right on your android device! You can create multible databasees to store personal information such as collectibles, purchases , inventories, web links, even MP3! Collections and Ringtones.

You can set a password for  each database for protection!

I recently set up a custom database to track my Ringtones. I name the database, add fields, set the data types for each, even.  Entered my records including attaching the ringtone mp3 to each record entry.  Added a comment field and a auto datetimestamp when i created the ringtone and a date field that autofills when the record was entered to the database.

You can be very creative if you are the database kind. I plan to build a SpeedTest database, set up the approprioate fields to keep a log of my speed tests ! (inspired by none other than Anndroid154!!!)

Check it out:

memento1.JPG

memento2.JPG

ANDROID APP: MEMENTO (Portable Database on your Android)

350 of 401 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 10:14:03 AM
(0)
Professor
That application looks interesting and I will keep it in mind if I ever need something like it.

This application also looks intriguing. I wish there was a free version, but the price isn't too bad.

http://m.androidcentral.com/android-app-review-spelling-bee
That application looks interesting and I will keep it in mind if I ever need something like it.

This application also looks intriguing. I wish there was a free version, but the price isn't too bad.

http://m.androidcentral.com/android-app-review-spelling-bee

351 of 401 (838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 10:32:18 AM
(0)
Professor
Youll be amazed at what a portable database can do. I have been looking for a way to do batch imports, or export comma or tab delimited columns but I guess cant have everything. This database app does just about what you would need for its compact portable size!

I have seen Spelling Bee flash across my Market Widget on the home screen! Nice. I too wish it was free.
Youll be amazed at what a portable database can do. I have been looking for a way to do batch imports, or export comma or tab delimited columns but I guess cant have everything. This database app does just about what you would need for its compact portable size!

I have seen Spelling Bee flash across my Market Widget on the home screen! Nice. I too wish it was free.

352 of 401 (843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 3:10:17 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:18:09 AM

I was online looking for a number to a company (not AT&T) and came across a site that had exactly what in needed!  I saw where they had an app advertised on their site but never checked it out in the Android Market until now.

GetHuman

gethuman1.JPG

Description:

This app provide a quick way to look up phone numbers and other shortcuts to get you to a person for companies you may have to reach! If

Cuts a lot of searching online for numbers, or being placed "on hold" for hours (sometimes even cut off) while someone transfers you from department to department.  This app may have the number you need and cuts out the wait.

Has shortcut codes to put you in touch with a real person (no more automated menu options to select over and over and..)

gethuman2.jpg             gethuman3.jpg     

Email and mailing info also available . 

Not bad for a free app!

freesign.jpg

I was online looking for a number to a company (not AT&T) and came across a site that had exactly what in needed!  I saw where they had an app advertised on their site but never checked it out in the Android Market until now.

GetHuman

gethuman1.JPG

Description:

This app provide a quick way to look up phone numbers and other shortcuts to get you to a person for companies you may have to reach! If

Cuts a lot of searching online for numbers, or being placed "on hold" for hours (sometimes even cut off) while someone transfers you from department to department.  This app may have the number you need and cuts out the wait.

Has shortcut codes to put you in touch with a real person (no more automated menu options to select over and over and..)

gethuman2.jpg             gethuman3.jpg     

Email and mailing info also available . 

Not bad for a free app!

freesign.jpg

Re: ANDROID: Which Apps Do You Have (GET HUMAN)

[ Edited ]
353 of 401 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 3:14:38 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 29, 2011 at 3:15:50 PM

RicoLX wrote:

COLOR NOTE 3.0

Interactive notes that lets you paste notes to your screen, or open the app to view and edit all notes.  HTML links supported as well as you can set a password on individual notes to "keep those prying eyes away from some juicy info (heh-heh)"

Click here to go to the market   or click the pic   below for a video demo!

colornote1.JPG

".. best of all!..........

freesign.jpg

Hey WB! how did that sticky-note widget work on your home screen?

RicoLX wrote:

COLOR NOTE 3.0

Interactive notes that lets you paste notes to your screen, or open the app to view and edit all notes.  HTML links supported as well as you can set a password on individual notes to "keep those prying eyes away from some juicy info (heh-heh)"

Click here to go to the market   or click the pic   below for a video demo!

colornote1.JPG

".. best of all!..........

freesign.jpg

Hey WB! how did that sticky-note widget work on your home screen?

Re: ANDROID APP: Color Note Interactive Notepad

[ Edited ]
354 of 401 (812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 6:49:44 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Oct 4, 2011 at 6:51:18 AM

I wonder whats a good data usage app in the market? I have the unlimited plan but want to see my daily usage just to compare to what att will be reporting in months to come, now that theyve thrown in a new twist around our necks to squeeze the unlimited plan out of our grabby hands.

Any suggestions?

I wonder whats a good data usage app in the market? I have the unlimited plan but want to see my daily usage just to compare to what att will be reporting in months to come, now that theyve thrown in a new twist around our necks to squeeze the unlimited plan out of our grabby hands.

Any suggestions?

Re: ANDROID APP: Color Note Interactive Notepad

[ Edited ]
355 of 401 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 4:19:17 PM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
I am going to check this application out more later. Very interesting!

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/12/seven-releases-notification-bar-changer-no-root-required/

Hey Anndroid154, have you checked into this Notification Bar Changer App yet?  Whats your recommendations?

(love that droid life site.. the splash colors on the main screen reminds me of 'chocolate covered cherries...mmm)

Ann154 wrote:
I am going to check this application out more later. Very interesting!

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/12/seven-releases-notification-bar-changer-no-root-required/

Hey Anndroid154, have you checked into this Notification Bar Changer App yet?  Whats your recommendations?

(love that droid life site.. the splash colors on the main screen reminds me of 'chocolate covered cherries...mmm)

356 of 401 (788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 2:35:52 AM
(0)
Professor

Thanks Anndroid154 for recommending this app!  I have been looking for an app that lets me crop  section or capture the entire web page in a browser!  You are a genius!!!

DOLPHIN SCREEN CUT

(require having Dolphin HD Browser installed)

dolphin screen cut.JPG

Thanks Anndroid154 for recommending this app!  I have been looking for an app that lets me crop  section or capture the entire web page in a browser!  You are a genius!!!

DOLPHIN SCREEN CUT

(require having Dolphin HD Browser installed)

dolphin screen cut.JPG

357 of 401 (780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 10:04:14 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Oct 8, 2011 at 10:07:41 AM

Ann(droid154) :

How do you like the Elixir App that you've installed and briefly commented on a few months ago ( See Message #62 )?  Does this app track data usage per app such as, say, if i used "Twitter" (which do do not) for a certain period, would Elixir track the amount of data used when this app is activated?  Or is this mainly a resource to track battery usage ?

ELIXIR

Ann(droid154) :

How do you like the Elixir App that you've installed and briefly commented on a few months ago ( See Message #62 )?  Does this app track data usage per app such as, say, if i used "Twitter" (which do do not) for a certain period, would Elixir track the amount of data used when this app is activated?  Or is this mainly a resource to track battery usage ?

ELIXIR

[ Edited ]
358 of 401 (761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 11:49:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
The screenshots for this app look like it would be something useful that I would like to use. I'll look for this in the Android Market.

The screenshots for this app look like it would be something useful that I would like to use. I'll look for this in the Android Market.

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

359 of 401 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 12:06:41 PM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

Me too, WB, i just downloaded and giving it a try! its got lots of info it feeds back to the screen , i mean LOTS.  will keep looking it over.  hey if you get to , post your analysis of it ok?

Wild Banchi wrote:

Me too, WB, i just downloaded and giving it a try! its got lots of info it feeds back to the screen , i mean LOTS.  will keep looking it over.  hey if you get to , post your analysis of it ok?

360 of 401 (753 Views)