Posted Mar 31, 2011
3:28:14 AM
View profile
ANDROID: Which Apps Do You Have
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:06:16 AM

Share your android app experience with others.  Have you found the absolute must-have tool and recommend it to others? How about apps you sampled and would never install on your android phone? Looking for something that you can't find in the android market "or" amazon appstore?   Reply with your personal experience to the following bullet items and share any additional comments and thoughts.

Smiley MSN Emoticon alien bot 045.gifSmiley MSN Emoticon bot 192.gifSmiley MSN Emoticon space critter 047.gif

Share your android app experience with others.  Have you found the absolute must-have tool and recommend it to others? How about apps you sampled and would never install on your android phone? Looking for something that you can't find in the android market "or" amazon appstore?   Reply with your personal experience to the following bullet items and share any additional comments and thoughts.

Smiley MSN Emoticon alien bot 045.gifSmiley MSN Emoticon bot 192.gifSmiley MSN Emoticon space critter 047.gif

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

ANDROID: Which Apps Do You Have

[ Edited ]
400 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(400)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 3:48:51 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:52:29 AM

I hope I can learn new apps to grab from reading your experiences.   For me so far, its:

TRIED, LIKE & RECOMMEND 

ES File Explorer:

to manage folder content, move things around, edit, check application services running , etc.

ES Security Manager:

password protect the phone and password/lock selected apps from access by others

Antivirus Free: 

check apps being download and alert if they are clean or contain virus.

eTaskKiller:

easy way to view whats curently running in the background and kill items using too much memory

RingDroid:

Create custom ringtones, custom notifications, custom alarms from my mpg files.

PowerAmp

Equalizer tool that also displays album covers and info from tags you can enter foreach song

LauncherProPlus

Alternate landing screen and subsequent screen setup to display icons, customizable to your liking.

TV.com

stream tv episodes from networks like cbs,cw, showtime, cnet, classictv, etc. (free)

oh, and.....

NOT RECCOMMEND:

Business Calendar (free version): works only if you link it to a gmail online calendar. I just didnt want to do that

WISH LIST

• Calendar: i like to locate a calendar app that would allow me to enter bi-weekly recurring agendas
  • Screenshot app

I hope I can learn new apps to grab from reading your experiences.   For me so far, its:

TRIED, LIKE & RECOMMEND 

ES File Explorer:

to manage folder content, move things around, edit, check application services running , etc.

ES Security Manager:

password protect the phone and password/lock selected apps from access by others

Antivirus Free: 

check apps being download and alert if they are clean or contain virus.

eTaskKiller:

easy way to view whats curently running in the background and kill items using too much memory

RingDroid:

Create custom ringtones, custom notifications, custom alarms from my mpg files.

PowerAmp

Equalizer tool that also displays album covers and info from tags you can enter foreach song

LauncherProPlus

Alternate landing screen and subsequent screen setup to display icons, customizable to your liking.

TV.com

stream tv episodes from networks like cbs,cw, showtime, cnet, classictv, etc. (free)

oh, and.....

NOT RECCOMMEND:

Business Calendar (free version): works only if you link it to a gmail online calendar. I just didnt want to do that

WISH LIST

• Calendar: i like to locate a calendar app that would allow me to enter bi-weekly recurring agendas
  • Screenshot app

Re: ANDROID: Which Apps Do You Have

[ Edited ]
2 of 401 (2,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 9:39:45 AM
(0)
Professor
Now, RicoLX, do I have to type up my list again? There just so many applications on list I typed in the other thread.

As for the calendar request. The only way I know of to do the bi-weekly is through the gmail calendar. Besides having the calendar on google makes SOOO EASY to move to a new android phone.

Screen shot app requires superuser access (rooted phone)

SwiftKey keyboard rocks!
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:
Now, RicoLX, do I have to type up my list again? There just so many applications on list I typed in the other thread.

As for the calendar request. The only way I know of to do the bi-weekly is through the gmail calendar. Besides having the calendar on google makes SOOO EASY to move to a new android phone.

Screen shot app requires superuser access (rooted phone)

SwiftKey keyboard rocks!
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 401 (2,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 10:12:12 AM
(0)
Professor
I kinda thought screenshot required rooted. I havent bitten the bullet yet, you? Lol, that will be a task for you tocompile your list aagain sorry :smileyvery-happy:

You do have some I want to check out. Yep I really wanted a stand-alone calendar app but I guess linking to google is ok. So doing that provide a bi weekly function available on the google calender?
I kinda thought screenshot required rooted. I havent bitten the bullet yet, you? Lol, that will be a task for you tocompile your list aagain sorry :smileyvery-happy:

You do have some I want to check out. Yep I really wanted a stand-alone calendar app but I guess linking to google is ok. So doing that provide a bi weekly function available on the google calender?

4 of 401 (2,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 1:48:37 PM
(0)
Professor
You can't do the bi-weekly through the calendar app on the phone. Those kinds of appointments have to be done by using the web based version. Sorry. They would sync with the phone the same as the others.

I have one phone that is "tweaked" and I could use a screen shot app with, but I haven't gotten around to looking for an app. I want to learn to do use ADB and do the screen shots the right way. No time for it yet.
You can't do the bi-weekly through the calendar app on the phone. Those kinds of appointments have to be done by using the web based version. Sorry. They would sync with the phone the same as the others.

I have one phone that is "tweaked" and I could use a screen shot app with, but I haven't gotten around to looking for an app. I want to learn to do use ADB and do the screen shots the right way. No time for it yet.

5 of 401 (2,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 1:59:25 PM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

Yep, I was afraid of that (no bi weekly function).   I could on my trusty ole HTC Tilt2.  Set up bi weekly recurring alerts on the calendar for the entire year, but that may be a windows mobile function only (which id gladly give up and stick with android!!! :smileywink: )

Im with you on the tweaking/ rooting,etc. i simply dont have the time to take my phone offline long enough to do all that.  It supppose to not take too long to do, but i just havent had chance to read up enough.

I do want that screenshot capability though!! :smileyvery-happy::smileytongue:

Ann154 wrote:

Yep, I was afraid of that (no bi weekly function).   I could on my trusty ole HTC Tilt2.  Set up bi weekly recurring alerts on the calendar for the entire year, but that may be a windows mobile function only (which id gladly give up and stick with android!!! :smileywink: )

Im with you on the tweaking/ rooting,etc. i simply dont have the time to take my phone offline long enough to do all that.  It supppose to not take too long to do, but i just havent had chance to read up enough.

I do want that screenshot capability though!! :smileyvery-happy::smileytongue:

6 of 401 (2,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 5:49:03 AM
(0)
Professor

Any suggestons on a good Backup / Restore app in the Android market?

Any suggestons on a good Backup / Restore app in the Android market?

7 of 401 (2,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 7:35:02 AM
(0)
Professor
Depends on what you're looking for. An all in one (most likely a paid application) or a combination of some free ones to do the same job?
Depends on what you're looking for. An all in one (most likely a paid application) or a combination of some free ones to do the same job?

8 of 401 (2,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 7:44:27 AM
(0)
Professor
Free preferred but will purchase if it provide more than a free version does.
Free preferred but will purchase if it provide more than a free version does.

9 of 401 (2,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 8:50:08 AM
(0)
Professor
Heard of but have not used (a paid application) My Backup Pro

Free app combination
Backup of SMS > sms backup & restore - saves to sd card
There are others that send sms to an email address.
If you want mms messages to be backed up, you will have to go with a paid application.

Estrongs or Astro to backup your applications. Data and settings for the applications won't be saved (Backup Pro is supposed to do this)

Unsure about the call log if there is an individual application. I am sure that there is one out there. Lookout (antivirus app) will backup the call log and is what I currently use.

Anything else you want to backup that hasn't been mentioned?

Free app combination
If you want mms messages to be backed up, you will have to go with a paid application.

Estrongs or Astro to backup your applications. Data and settings for the applications won't be saved (Backup Pro is supposed to do this)

Unsure about the call log if there is an individual application. I am sure that there is one out there. Lookout (antivirus app) will backup the call log and is what I currently use.

10 of 401 (2,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 9:07:58 AM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

Free app combination

Hi Ann, sounds like that covers it.  I will try these and see which i like. definitly like to be my apps, I like Estrongs apps.

So you have  to 'root' you phone before you can physically backup anything on the actual handset itself, right? Then youd need a backup tool that works on rooted phones.

Ann154 wrote:

Free app combination

Hi Ann, sounds like that covers it.  I will try these and see which i like. definitly like to be my apps, I like Estrongs apps.

So you have  to 'root' you phone before you can physically backup anything on the actual handset itself, right? Then youd need a backup tool that works on rooted phones.

11 of 401 (1,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 9:21:12 AM
(0)
Professor
Rooted phones have a custom recovery that includes a nand backup. But essentially what you posted in the last part of your last post. The exact steps and process are more clearly explained on either xda developers or Android Central. I would start there if you want to go that route. I debated and read for over six months before I took the plunge with the one phone.

It certainly isn't for everyone. You need to be willing to take responsibility for whatever happens if something goes wrong.
Rooted phones have a custom recovery that includes a nand backup. But essentially what you posted in the last part of your last post. The exact steps and process are more clearly explained on either xda developers or Android Central. I would start there if you want to go that route. I debated and read for over six months before I took the plunge with the one phone.

It certainly isn't for everyone. You need to be willing to take responsibility for whatever happens if something goes wrong.

12 of 401 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 9:34:53 AM
(0)
Professor
I am ok for now. Just thought that some apps work only if the phone has been rooted and most others for thegeneral android function. The only reason I wouldconsider rooting is if I want to have screenshot capability or if I wanted to remove a few items.

So, I am ok with unrooted
I am ok for now. Just thought that some apps work only if the phone has been rooted and most others for thegeneral android function. The only reason I wouldconsider rooting is if I want to have screenshot capability or if I wanted to remove a few items.

So, I am ok with unrooted

13 of 401 (1,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 9:40:31 AM
(0)
Professor
There are several applications for rooted only phones. They will say so in the description. Titanium Backup is one and the screen shot applications of course.
There are several applications for rooted only phones. They will say so in the description. Titanium Backup is one and the screen shot applications of course.

14 of 401 (1,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 11:22:58 AM
(0)
Professor

Yep, Titanium seem  to be the candidate for me once i plunge into the root-world.  I can see myself heading there soon. Thats the only way to rmove accuweather and a couple of Dell specific apps.

But for now, im still as happy as a  mud duck!

Yep, Titanium seem  to be the candidate for me once i plunge into the root-world.  I can see myself heading there soon. Thats the only way to rmove accuweather and a couple of Dell specific apps.

But for now, im still as happy as a  mud duck!

15 of 401 (1,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 11:09:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Rico, search for "Screen Capture Shortcut" in the Market.  This app will work on an unrooted phone.  Rumor has it that there is a way to do screenshots built into Froyo using the back and home keys, but we haven't been able to do this on purpose yet.  Many people have done it accidentally.

Rico, search for "Screen Capture Shortcut" in the Market.  This app will work on an unrooted phone.  Rumor has it that there is a way to do screenshots built into Froyo using the back and home keys, but we haven't been able to do this on purpose yet.  Many people have done it accidentally.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 401 (1,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2011 2:29:14 AM
(0)
Professor

Thanks 21stNow, i will do that this weekend!

happy.JPG

Thanks 21stNow, i will do that this weekend!

happy.JPG

17 of 401 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2011 5:17:59 AM
(0)
Professor
It doesn't work for an HTC Aria :smileysad:
It doesn't work for an HTC Aria :smileysad:

18 of 401 (1,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2011 7:55:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Is your Aria running Android 2.2? I think that Screen Capture Shortcut will only run on Android 2.2.
Is your Aria running Android 2.2? I think that Screen Capture Shortcut will only run on Android 2.2.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 401 (1,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2011 8:12:54 AM
(0)
Professor
Yep upgraded the weekend that the FroYo 2.2.2 update was released. When I tried to open the app to view any settings and to find out how it worked, it gave a message "this device is not supported" and went to the home screen.
Yep upgraded the weekend that the FroYo 2.2.2 update was released. When I tried to open the app to view any settings and to find out how it worked, it gave a message "this device is not supported" and went to the home screen.

20 of 401 (1,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2011 11:00:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Sorry about that. I saw this on the Vibrant forum and didn't realize it only works for the Galaxy series.
Sorry about that. I saw this on the Vibrant forum and didn't realize it only works for the Galaxy series.

21 of 401 (1,353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2011 11:07:09 AM
(0)
Professor
No prob. I tried it to. It must be for Galexy only like you stated.
No prob. I tried it to. It must be for Galexy only like you stated.

22 of 401 (1,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2011 11:16:39 AM
(0)
Professor

MyBackupPro (www.rerware.com)

I have installed MyBackupPro that allows you to backup to your SD Card and/or to an online repository thats password protected. I have run several at my SD Card level only and like the app.  Compared to the Dell  backup that came with the phone, this app works for both unrooted and rooted androids .  The Dell restore would constantly throw an error when i tested restoring a backup file.

You can download a free 100% fully functional (for 30 days) version from the Android Market .  Purchasing the app is very inexpensive .

MyBackupPro (www.rerware.com)

I have installed MyBackupPro that allows you to backup to your SD Card and/or to an online repository thats password protected. I have run several at my SD Card level only and like the app.  Compared to the Dell  backup that came with the phone, this app works for both unrooted and rooted androids .  The Dell restore would constantly throw an error when i tested restoring a backup file.

You can download a free 100% fully functional (for 30 days) version from the Android Market .  Purchasing the app is very inexpensive .

ANDROID: Which Apps Do You Have (MyBackupPro)

23 of 401 (1,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2011 5:27:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I was finally able to download apps from the Android Market last night (over Wi-Fi), and I am very pleased and excited to finally be able to have them on my Android phone. Here is what I have...

Angry Birds

Angry Birds Rio

Angry Birds Seasons

Ant Smasher

Fruit Slice

Action Potato (:smileyvery-happy:)

Flashlight Professional (Awesome!)

As well as some awesome live wallpapers.

This is absolutely amazing. I never knew that Android could be this cool. I am so happy I have decided to go with an Android phone!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

I was finally able to download apps from the Android Market last night (over Wi-Fi), and I am very pleased and excited to finally be able to have them on my Android phone. Here is what I have...

Angry Birds

Angry Birds Rio

Angry Birds Seasons

Ant Smasher

Fruit Slice

Action Potato (:smileyvery-happy:)

Flashlight Professional (Awesome!)

As well as some awesome live wallpapers.

This is absolutely amazing. I never knew that Android could be this cool. I am so happy I have decided to go with an Android phone!

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

Re: ANDROID: Which Apps Do You Have (MyBackupPro)

24 of 401 (1,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2011 5:40:03 PM
(0)
Professor
Doesnt make your android fresh and new all over again? And the neatpart, you can add, change, redo, I mean good alternatives. I got some of yours apps. I leftout live wallpapers from my list
Doesnt make your android fresh and new all over again? And the neatpart, you can add, change, redo, I mean good alternatives. I got some of yours apps. I leftout live wallpapers from my list

25 of 401 (1,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2011 5:45:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Live wallpapers really are neat. I just downloaded this one particular one where there are the Android robots crawling and wiggling around all over the screen. You can ever change the colors of the Droids and the background. I also have this one that looks like a galaxy of stars - it fits my phone perfectly, as it is a part of the "Galaxy S" series. :smileywink:

I love how customizable Android is. It sure beats Apples iOS... :smileywink:

Live wallpapers really are neat. I just downloaded this one particular one where there are the Android robots crawling and wiggling around all over the screen. You can ever change the colors of the Droids and the background. I also have this one that looks like a galaxy of stars - it fits my phone perfectly, as it is a part of the "Galaxy S" series. :smileywink:

I love how customizable Android is. It sure beats Apples iOS... :smileywink:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

26 of 401 (1,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2011 5:54:46 PM
(0)
Professor
LOL that last comment WB! :smileyvery-happy:

Since they actually work on the Aria, I too have downloaded the Angry Birds trio. I'm terrible at getting a good score, but it is a good time waster.

Learning to like WeatherBug. The Weather Channel application was been disappointing lately. I had to try something different.
LOL that last comment WB! :smileyvery-happy:

Since they actually work on the Aria, I too have downloaded the Angry Birds trio. I'm terrible at getting a good score, but it is a good time waster.

Learning to like WeatherBug. The Weather Channel application was been disappointing lately. I had to try something different.

27 of 401 (1,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2011 5:56:26 PM
(0)
Professor
Oh man and android is much better tgan "sticky", freezy winmo too. Can yu paste the market link to the crawly androids? I also have the Galaxy of Stars! Cool that fit your phone series :smileyvery-happy:
Oh man and android is much better tgan "sticky", freezy winmo too. Can yu paste the market link to the crawly androids? I also have the Galaxy of Stars! Cool that fit your phone series :smileyvery-happy:

28 of 401 (1,324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2011 6:04:40 PM
(0)
Professor
And that accuweathers is reeking havoc. I will need to root to uninstall it.
And that accuweathers is reeking havoc. I will need to root to uninstall it.

29 of 401 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2011 6:10:56 PM
(0)
Professor
While live wallpapers are cool. I have read that they can add extra drain to the battery.

I found some wonderful static "android" wallpapers on Android Central forum.
While live wallpapers are cool. I have read that they can add extra drain to the battery.

I found some wonderful static "android" wallpapers on Android Central forum.

30 of 401 (1,317 Views)