A recall that's not a recall.

Tutor

A recall that's not a recall.

A note to everyone who is hoping for a recall: THIS IS NOT A RECALL. THIS IS AN EXCHANGE. And a poor one at that.

An open letter to At&t in response to passing on your problems to your customers.

I have been with At&t since I have owned a cell phone. At&t has the best coverage everywhere that I use my phone so it was a no-brainer as a choice. The number of "free" phones with 2-year service was abundant as well. Any problems I had with my service were deftly handled by the customer service department to my great satisfaction. I have had wonderful service from At&t for two years.

So when it came time to either renew the contract or take my business elsewhere, the choice to me seemed obvious: stay with the great service I have had. So then came the decision of what phone to upgrade to. I wanted a texting phone but not a smart phone, preferably reasonably priced. At&t offered what was labeled the "At&t Quickfire." It even came in my favorite color: orange. After comparing the features to similar phones (the Pantech Slate, Samsung Propel, LG Vu) I decided to go with the phone offered under the name of the company that had given me such good service over the past two years: the At&t Quickfire.

When I received the phone it presented itself as everything I had hoped for out of the box. After a few days of attempting to customize the phone I quickly discovered that the phone was not all that I dreamed. The only two features that performed the way that I had expected were the keyboard and the reception (which was surprisingly nice). The first road block I ran into was with transferring files to the  phone. I attempted to use the same method that I had with my previous phone, the Nokia 602i, Bluetooth file transfer. Bluetooth file transfer does not exist on the Quickfire. The biggest was the touch screen. When I would click on "messaging" the phone would decide that I had in fact clicked "mobile email" or "IM" both of which start a data connection that I begin to get charged for as I mash the "end" button waaiting for the phone to respond (I don't have a data connection and I don't want one). I'm not going to list all of my problems with the phone, but will all of the dropped calls on full signal and a touch screed with more bugs than Windows Vista I was less than thrilled with the phone that At&t had sponsored and provided me with. I now set myself the task of trying to find out if there was anyway I could exchange the phone for another or get this phone to work.

I have spoken with 17 representatives in everything from tech support to customer service and in the stores trying to find someway to exchange this phone or get it to work. No one, no one, none of the representatives I spoke with mentioned anything about an exchange program. I finally heard about it in the customer forums about the Quickfire needing an update. This was also where I head about everyone else's problems with the phones and the fact that even though At&t put their name on the Quickfire, they had not made the phone themselves but had outsourced it's manufacturing to the lowest bidder, PCD, formerly UTStarcom. A mistake, a mistake that has now driven At&t to withdraw all of the Quickfire phones from their website and their stores. In addition to reports of the phone catching fire, At&t released a statement saying that the Quickfire no longer meets their "minimum performance requirements." I had to call and specifically ask about the exchange program (I asked about a recall and was quickly corected about my mistake). When I finnaly got to the point where the representative was going to mail me the new Samsung Propel she read me the terms of the exchange. The part that stuck with me the longest was when she said if I send At&t my phone and they decide later that I did not qualify for the exchange, I would be charged $210. $210 if my phone met At&t's "minimum performance" standards, which are apparently lower than most cell phone manufacturers but I guess that's how companies like Motorola and Nokia stay in business.

I have a confession to make here. My phone is not in perfect condition. I spilled a bit of water on the corner one time. I consider myself a tech-savvy person (if a bit clumsy) so my first reaction was to pull the battery and the SIM card out of the phone and allow it to dry. Unfortunately this means that it is quite possible that one of the numerous water damage detectors in the phone may have changed color, so there is a large chance that At&t will decide to charge me $210 for a phone that worked just as well before i dropped water on it as after. Another issue was that I was away at college when they shipped the phone to my house in another state so I was unable to get to the phone for over a month so I was outside the first 30 days for return or exchange.

I do not meet At&t's requirements to return a phone that they have determined is unsuitable for their new customers. I, as a returning customer am less valuable to them because I am locked into a contract for the next two years. I dont even want a phone that's worth as much as the Quickfire or the Propel. I would prefer the Pantech Slate. The Quickfire was $99 with 2-year contract, the Propel is $49 with 2-year contract and the Slate is $29 with 2-year contract. i would even pay the $29 for the Slate, but At&t wont let me. I am not a customer worth a new phone in exchange for At&t's mistake.

It was a massive mistake to release the Quickfire, and it is a mistake that should be covered by the company that made the mistake: At&t. It is not a problem that they should pass onto their customers who get stuck with a poorly designed phone that you put your name on. If you value your customers you should take responsibility for your mistakes as a company and reward the ones who stay with you for not canceling their contract and moving to another vendor who may treat them with more respect.

Signed

-A very dissatisfied customer.

Message 1 of 6 (6,299 Views)
Contributor

Re: A recall that's not a recall.

This is soooo funny.  I have never had such a run around like I have had over the last 4 days regarding anything, much less a cell phone.  The crappy part about it all is that it isn't even my phone...it is my daughter's, who was told 3 times by 3 different sales reps at 3 DIFFERENT locations that she needed to make the exchange.  An exchange that was set into motion by faulty connections concerning the phone and the charger...like a fire.  After she wrapped her mind around the hazzard, as well as the options, she made a replacement phone choice.  The kicker is when we called to do the exchange with the warranty department, they told me to NEVERMIND the hazzard...the manufacturer will be sending me a new charger within the next 30 days that won't start my kid on fire.  Basically also said the new phone wasn't even an option anymore, and to have a great day.  Huh???

We have been Cingular/ATT wireless customers for years, have 4 family members on our account, and spare no expense to have the service we desire.  The sales people at the remote store locations were helpful, but limited...the end result is weird, and I don't even know what else to say.

Message 2 of 6 (5,789 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a not-so-proud owner of a quickfire since Jan. 2009. I have had numerous problems that, in my opinion, have nothing to do with the charger. I have NEVER charged my phone the wrong way. However, it has gotten very hot. Before the phone started overheating when charging, I had problems with my phone reading the SD card. I also had problems with dropped calls with full signal bars. When I open the slider to text...touch the message icon, it acts like I touched the IM icon. The phone won't consistantly recognize data on the SD card so I cannotSmiley Sad1)send video of my boys to their Dad (who has been out of town working for the past 7 weeks) nor can I receive video of my husband for our boys;(2)listen to music because it won't read the SD card;(3)view photos on it because it won't read the SD card. It will consistantly recognize the video data in the PHONE memory but the moment it's saved to the SD card...the message says the SD card is "empty".This leaves me with very little memory to store data without use of the SD memory.

On top of all this I find out TODAY ...which happens to be over 30 days of ownership...about the recall. OH WAIT!!! According to the warranty department, there was never a recall. But when I was transferred to customer care's troubleshooting/technical department...one of the first things said to me--"Mrs.M******, are you aware of the recall on the quickfire?"  WELL is it me or is someone NOT taking responsibility to fix this issue. After the tech. guy informed me that I need another phone to replace my quickfire, I was transferred back to the warranty department to resolve the issue. And wouldn't you know...I was told again there is no recall. LOL!!! I was told that I could only get an exchange..quickfire for quickfire. Even though I paid $329.99 + tax for this phone. AND when I asked why in my right mind would I be expected to trade for another quickfire, the warranty rep. told me the phones and chargers had been fixed. So I asked,"why aren't the quickfires being sold in stores if the problems are fixed?" She answered, "the quickfires have been discontinued".  OK PEOPLE....apparently we all are supposed to just accept the fact that after two months of productive sales, the quickfire is being discontinued. And it's not considered a recall...how?????

For all those out there that would like a proper resolution...please email me <personal information removed> I am starting a petition to bring before the company AT&T and whatever proper authorities (court) so that the recall is made public.

Thanks and good luck,

A.merrill

Glen Rose, TX

Message Edited by Helmsman on 04-17-2009 11:06:05 PM
Message 3 of 6 (5,703 Views)
Scholar

LannMerr,

I agree completely, i accepted the QF for QF trade.  Got my phone yesterday (4/17/09), so far only minor glitches, but that is how my other one started.  I hardly think any of the touchscreen issues had anything to do with the charger (as most people with a semi-decent IQ) can figure out how a charger works.  I fully count on having to send this phone back in a month or so too.  And when I do i will not get off the phone until i have a phone of similar style and price (much like the LG Xenon, although it is $5 less than what I gave for the QF, i would be willing to let that slide  Smiley Happy)

Message 4 of 6 (5,684 Views)
Contributor

exactlyyyyyyyy how i feel. went through the same thing today. i click the message button and it hits im i hit reply and it hits delete. I call i go through the whole thing and finally after and hour and gong to the att store 20 minutes before i called in( and the man there told me they were dicontinued) i also accepted the new quickfire after arguing it wasnt the charger that i had a problem with...in 30 when it STILL doesnt work ill go to the store and do the trade there and get my lg xenon which the guy told me will work muchhhh better than this peice of crap phone. they should break the new shipment they have of them because they suck. Att reps are stupid and when i ask to talk to their supervisor it dissconected me. Next time i wont be so nice and ill call corp until i get my new phone. Let me know if you happen to get a new phone when this screws up.

Thanks,

Brie.

Message 5 of 6 (5,650 Views)
Highlighted
Former Moderator

My phone has been having problems....

KayCee53, your post has been moved to a new thead on Samsung Board for better exposure

Message 6 of 6 (4,016 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.