Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 2, 2010
7:53:28 AM
View profile
A few Pantech Link questions

Is there a copy and paste function?  I have searched and found nothing.  Hopefully something as simple as this is available.

Is there a way to set your own downloaded ringtones as an alert tone?  I know how to set mp3's as a ring tone but cant figure out how to set as an alert.  While on the subject, I have set my ringtone by making my own mp3 and then putting it on the phone, however some of the mp3's I put on the phone will not give me an option ("set as ringtone" is blacked out and you cant highlight it) to set as the ringtone even though they were created in the same fashion as others that do allow the option.  What am I missing here?

Is there a way to automatically save pictures and videos to the memory card instead of the phone?  Its a minor hassle to have to move the files over, but a hassle none the less.

Is there a way to delete the pre-set apps that are on the phone?  The option to delete them is blacked out.

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.

Is there a copy and paste function?  I have searched and found nothing.  Hopefully something as simple as this is available.

Is there a way to set your own downloaded ringtones as an alert tone?  I know how to set mp3's as a ring tone but cant figure out how to set as an alert.  While on the subject, I have set my ringtone by making my own mp3 and then putting it on the phone, however some of the mp3's I put on the phone will not give me an option ("set as ringtone" is blacked out and you cant highlight it) to set as the ringtone even though they were created in the same fashion as others that do allow the option.  What am I missing here?

Is there a way to automatically save pictures and videos to the memory card instead of the phone?  Its a minor hassle to have to move the files over, but a hassle none the less.

Is there a way to delete the pre-set apps that are on the phone?  The option to delete them is blacked out.

A few Pantech Link questions

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2010 8:31:36 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by erichamion on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:34:35 PM

I'm not fully familiar with the Link, but some of these questions can be answered more generally

liv_rong wrote:

I don't know.

Is there a way to set your own downloaded ringtones as an alert tone?  I know how to set mp3's as a ring tone but cant figure out how to set as an alert. 

On some phones (like my Matrix, which is also by Pantech), you have to actually edit the profile to set the alert tone.  Go to Menu -> Settings -> Profiles, then press Edit and see what options are there

While on the subject, I have set my ringtone by making my own mp3 and then putting it on the phone, however some of the mp3's I put on the phone will not give me an option ("set as ringtone" is blacked out and you cant highlight it) to set as the ringtone even though they were created in the same fashion as others that do allow the option.  What am I missing here?

Check the size of the file.  Most phones require a ring tone to be less than 300 kB (that's the size of the file, not a bit rate of 300kbps).

Open the camera, then press Options.  Choose Settings -> Advanced -> Save Location.  You may need to also activate the video camera mode (Options -> Video Camera Mode) to set the same setting for video.

For most phones, there isn't unless you want to root or debrand your phone (which is completely unsupported).

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I'm not fully familiar with the Link, but some of these questions can be answered more generally

liv_rong wrote:

I don't know.

Is there a way to set your own downloaded ringtones as an alert tone?  I know how to set mp3's as a ring tone but cant figure out how to set as an alert. 

On some phones (like my Matrix, which is also by Pantech), you have to actually edit the profile to set the alert tone.  Go to Menu -> Settings -> Profiles, then press Edit and see what options are there

While on the subject, I have set my ringtone by making my own mp3 and then putting it on the phone, however some of the mp3's I put on the phone will not give me an option ("set as ringtone" is blacked out and you cant highlight it) to set as the ringtone even though they were created in the same fashion as others that do allow the option.  What am I missing here?

Check the size of the file.  Most phones require a ring tone to be less than 300 kB (that's the size of the file, not a bit rate of 300kbps).

Open the camera, then press Options.  Choose Settings -> Advanced -> Save Location.  You may need to also activate the video camera mode (Options -> Video Camera Mode) to set the same setting for video.

For most phones, there isn't unless you want to root or debrand your phone (which is completely unsupported).

Re: A few Pantech Link questions

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (2,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 12:53:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, I guess I should have bought a real phone... There's some real crappy apps, like this bogus "PicDial" that comes on the Link.  I'll bet you a dollar to a dime that it's the cause of all the text messaging contacts problems that users of the Pantech Link are encountering. The app is a blatant information grabber, and it doesn't even sync photos of friends with contacts.  I personally have never seen anything that came on an ATT phone that is this lame.

Yeah, I guess I should have bought a real phone... There's some real crappy apps, like this bogus "PicDial" that comes on the Link.  I'll bet you a dollar to a dime that it's the cause of all the text messaging contacts problems that users of the Pantech Link are encountering. The app is a blatant information grabber, and it doesn't even sync photos of friends with contacts.  I personally have never seen anything that came on an ATT phone that is this lame.

Re: A few Pantech Link questions

3 of 3 (1,330 Views)