Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2010
7:43:42 PM
A couple questions about upgrading..

I am thinking about upgrading 4 of the 5 phones on my account. One phone I do not want any longer, put the contract for that phone is not up until next month. The rest have been expired for some time.

So, if I upgrade 4 phones, can I still terminate the 5th phone after the contract is fully expired with that? Since I am upgrading with another 2 year commitment ..?

Also, do you get a new sim card when you upgrade? Also, can you get new numbers when upgrading as well? Or would you have to pay a fee for that?

Thanks for any information.

I am thinking about upgrading 4 of the 5 phones on my account. One phone I do not want any longer, put the contract for that phone is not up until next month. The rest have been expired for some time.

So, if I upgrade 4 phones, can I still terminate the 5th phone after the contract is fully expired with that? Since I am upgrading with another 2 year commitment ..?

Also, do you get a new sim card when you upgrade? Also, can you get new numbers when upgrading as well? Or would you have to pay a fee for that?

Thanks for any information.

A couple questions about upgrading..

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 6:32:23 AM
(0)
Employee

you can most definitely terminate the 5th line once the contract is up w/o penalty as each line has its own contract.  you do get a new sim when you upgrade but you dont get new numbers.  if you want a number change it is 36.00 per number changed

you can most definitely terminate the 5th line once the contract is up w/o penalty as each line has its own contract.  you do get a new sim when you upgrade but you dont get new numbers.  if you want a number change it is 36.00 per number changed

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: A couple questions about upgrading..

2 of 10 (210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 6:59:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

Do do they cancel the current sim cards at the time you ugrade, or do you have until you place the new sim cards in the phone and then the other sim cards are deactivated? Or how does that work exactly??

Do do they cancel the current sim cards at the time you ugrade, or do you have until you place the new sim cards in the phone and then the other sim cards are deactivated? Or how does that work exactly??

3 of 10 (206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 7:07:56 AM
(0)
Employee

when the new sim is activated the old sim automatically deactivates and once its deactivated, it cannot be activated again.

when the new sim is activated the old sim automatically deactivates and once its deactivated, it cannot be activated again.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 10 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 7:44:23 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by UNSC_REACH on Aug 16, 2010 at 7:44:59 AM

The phone number can be changed free of charge if its for harassment reasons. It can be changed at any time, but when its changed the plan for that phone line is prorated for all services.

The phone number can be changed free of charge if its for harassment reasons. It can be changed at any time, but when its changed the plan for that phone line is prorated for all services.

[ Edited ]
5 of 10 (197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 8:14:19 AM
(0)
Employee

yeah but if its prorated for that reason it actually doesnt change the charge, just the way it looks.  bc the old number will be credited for the time frame not used and the new number will be charged from the time frame its changed so they actually zero each other out.

yeah but if its prorated for that reason it actually doesnt change the charge, just the way it looks.  bc the old number will be credited for the time frame not used and the new number will be charged from the time frame its changed so they actually zero each other out.

6 of 10 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 8:43:47 AM
(0)
Professor

Correct, but doesnt the data and/or minutes for that line prorate? It wouldnt matter if its on a Family Talk, but if they have a data plan on thatl it will be prorated for the price and the data as well.

Correct, but doesnt the data and/or minutes for that line prorate? It wouldnt matter if its on a Family Talk, but if they have a data plan on thatl it will be prorated for the price and the data as well.

7 of 10 (185 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 10:05:40 AM
(0)
Guru

UNSC_REACH wrote:

Technically yes, but it's prorated on both sides to equal the same amount. For example the line was billed 30 dollars/month, and the first number was on the account for 14 days of the billing cycle and then changed, that would mean that the new number was on the account for sixteen days,  the bill would look like this

(original line) 123-555-5551 14.00 (14 days)

(new number) 123-555-5552 16.00 (16 days)=30.00

Data and messaging usage will PR the same way.  

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.

UNSC_REACH wrote:

Technically yes, but it's prorated on both sides to equal the same amount. For example the line was billed 30 dollars/month, and the first number was on the account for 14 days of the billing cycle and then changed, that would mean that the new number was on the account for sixteen days,  the bill would look like this

(original line) 123-555-5551 14.00 (14 days)

(new number) 123-555-5552 16.00 (16 days)=30.00

Data and messaging usage will PR the same way.  

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

8 of 10 (176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 10:14:23 AM
(0)
Professor

Thats what I thought, thanks for clarifying mightyjeeper!

9 of 10 (172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2010 11:25:33 AM
(0)
Guru

UNSC_REACH wrote:

Your welcome!

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.

UNSC_REACH wrote:

Your welcome!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

10 of 10 (162 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments