A Letter to ATT (Bricked Samsung)

Contributor

A Letter to ATT (Bricked Samsung)

ATT,

I recently had need for a smartphone for work.  I shopped around for a while and finally decided on the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket.  I have a rather large family, and they're all on Verizon, but I decided I would give AT&T a try.  I love the Samsung phone, and Android, of course I can only compare it to a vintage RAZR.

Today, I glanced over at my phone and there was a message that it needs to reboot to perform an update. I gladly accept, wondering if it could possibly be this much hyped ICS update.  My phone reboots to a white screen, displaying "SOFTWARE UPDATE", a progress bar, and "Loading...", and I stare waiting in anticipation, and waiting... but nothing happens.  10 minutes later the screen has not changed.  It's just stuck there, no progress, no update.  Thirty minutes later I finally give in and try rebooting, each reboot just brings it back to the same screen.

I prompty get ahold of AT&T support.  They run through a few steps and finally state they are going to set up an RMA.   The technician states they will send me a refurb.   REFURB?   This phone cost me $179 - 41 days ago.  So you kill my new phone.  I lose my data, I lose my $30 screen protector, and I get someones broken/repaired phone in return? 

The AT&T technician gives me the Samsung support number.  When I call Samsung, you know what they say?  We're sorry about your phone.  We will send you an email with shipping information to return the phone to us for free via UPS, will repair it, and will return the same phone to you.  So in the end, all I am out is my data. 

AT&T: The rest of my family will be warned to stay with Verzion, but I will highly recommend Samsung.

Sincerely,
Brad

Message 1 of 19 (3,305 Views)
Master

Re: A Letter to ATT (Bricked Samsung)

Entropy512 wrote:

On the UCKL2 and UCLB3 (odd, those Skyrocket firmwares match known Infuse releases too)

That is because Samsung uses the same firmware naming convension for all firmware releases:

UCKL2 ---> K is year of the build, L is month of the build, 2 is build number of the month. So it is the second build on Dec, 2011.

UCLB3 is 3rd build on Feb 2012.

Message 16 of 19 (2,780 Views)
Scholar

Seems like there are AT&T Stores all over the place.  I don't know if they are corporate owned or franchises, but it seems that AT&T should make it possible for customers to be able to just head over to the nearest one to take care of any problems or exchanges, regardless of whether it is company or individually owned.  I had an issue with a phone and called AT&T tech support for help.  I wanted to take it to a nearby AT&T store, but was told that I had to go back to the store where I originally bought the phone to exchange it.  Doesn't seem like good customer service policy to me.

Message 17 of 19 (2,766 Views)
Master

You can only exchange in retail stores if you are within 30 days. If you bought from AT&T corporate stores or AT&T site, you should be able to exchange at any AT&T corporate stores for a new phone within 30-day. 3rd party retailers are a different story because of the different deals and inventory systems I assume.

There are also separate AT&T device exchange center which exclusively deal with post 30-day warranty exchanges (refurb) and services. The CSRs there are trained to service/repair phones, not to make a sale.

Message 18 of 19 (2,765 Views)
Highlighted

foxbat121 wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

On the UCKL2 and UCLB3 (odd, those Skyrocket firmwares match known Infuse releases too)

That is because Samsung uses the same firmware naming convension for all firmware releases:

UCKL2 ---> K is year of the build, L is month of the build, 2 is build number of the month. So it is the second build on Dec, 2011.

UCLB3 is 3rd build on Feb 2012.

Yup, it's just not often that two US-based handsets on the same carrier both get releases on the 3rd build of Feb AND the 2nd build of December.

The only firmwares I've ever seen that were "official" but still triggered the custom binary counter were the very first Samsung ICS leaks for the I9100 (the first 2-3 XXKP* leaks) - I believe all XXLP* leaks have signed kernels.

Message 19 of 19 (2,732 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.