7 yr AT&T customer Can't get a clear answer about Rate plan changes that may be more beneficial.

Tutor

7 yr AT&T customer Can't get a clear answer about Rate plan changes that may be more beneficial.

Hello Hopefully someone can enlighten/help me. I am a 75yo customer w/ 5 phones on my account, for more than 7yrs . I currently have the Family Talk 3000 min plan. I was recently told that this plan is no longer offered, and if I switch I cannot go back to that plan. I was advised several years ago to upgrade from our 1400min plan after incurring overages. The problem I am having is that when I View my usage online it shows that I barely use any of my plans 3000 min however no-one has been able to explain to me SO THAT I UNDERSTAND. How data usage and webbrowsing figure into that 3000 min figure, in order to determine if I could benefit from a lesser minute plan and possible increase my data plans instead. I have gotten 5 different answers from my 5 plus inquires both on the phone and live chat online.  I have 2 Iphones on the accont and 2 smart phones, everyone uses text except me. My bills are over $350.00  each month. But I am afraid of chancing going down to 2100 or 1400 plan then incurring huge overages which has happened to me twice since taking the advice of ATT reps. Misinformation. I originally had a 2100 plan then in review of my usage with an ATT rep on the phone I was told a 1400 plan would be sufficient because I was only using about 980 plan minutes per month. However when I changed I ended up with $174.00 overages, they said had to due with data usage, but the rep told me data usage calculations were not part of the 1400 min plan, and each time I am told something different. I cannot ever get a clear answer. The reps seem to be reading from a script on the online chat and perhaps language barriers prevent them from understanding SPECIFIC questions I have asked in attempts to clarify what I am being told, because their responses are in no way relevant to what I have asked and I get frustrated after spending 40min on the phone for some superficial one size fits all responses, that have in my past experience been completely wrong. How can I determine the best plan for all 5 phones in my group so as to avoid overages. From either data usage or phone call usage?

Message 1 of 10
Guru

Re: 7 yr AT&T customer Can't get a clear answer about Rate plan changes that may be more benefic

First, the 3000 minutes Family Plan is still available, I don't know why they told you it's not offered anymore.

Now, I would recommend you first to check the family plan minutes usage from the last months in your bills. Also, ask for the A-List feature that will let you add 10 phone numbers from any company to make calls to them totally free, without using your plan minutes, that way your minutes usage may decrease and it would be easier to reduce your monthly plan to a cheaper one.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 10
Scholar

Re: 7 yr AT&T customer Can't get a clear answer about Rate plan changes that may be more benefic

well... 3000R minutes are not offered but this rate plan still being avaialble... you can dial *646 to verify aprox min usage... what you mean about the data usage?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert

Data is totally separate from your minute plan. Your minute plan is talking on the phone.

Do you have a texting plan? You should have unlimited family texting for $30/month.

Data is accessing the internet, downloading programs and other things. Data plans are addons to the minute plan.

Each phone that uses data must have its own data plan or you pay by use which can be very expensive.

There are 2 data plans currently available. A 200mb plan for $15/month or a 2gb plan for $25/month. There used to be an unlimited data plan but it was discontinued. If you had it you could keep it.

Take your bill to a corporate store and have them review your account and determine the best plans for the best price.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
Professor

Virtual, not that I'm disagreeing but as I understood it they were no longer offering the 3000 min plan, but it was still a plan. I thought the UNL plans took over that area.

Message 5 of 10
Guru

UNSC_REACH wrote:

Virtual, not that I'm disagreeing but as I understood it they were no longer offering the 3000 min plan, but it was still a plan. I thought the UNL plans took over that area.

5 lines with 3000 minutes family plan:

One primary line of $140.00 + 4 secondary lines of $9.99 each one = $179.96

5 lines with Unlimited minutes family plan:

One primary line of $70.00 + 4 secondary lines of $49.99 each one = $269.96

It would be pretty unfair for the customers if they are practically forced to add an unlimited service and pay a lot more when they could be fine with a tiered minutes plan.

I already checked the plans, we are still offering the 3000 minutes family plan, he was just given incorrect information.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted

Virtual is correct the 3000 plan is still available.  $149.99: Primary ($140) and Secondary ($9.99) ll: 3000R/Unlimited M2M/UNW add min.25 cents also for Business and Dobson convert accounts.

I will recommend to the OP to get the 30 Unlimited Messages and for the iPhone the 15.00 200MB plan or the 25.00 2Gb plan.

Call back again to cust service and explain that you want to keep the  3000mins plan.

Message 7 of 10
Tutor

Thanks for all the replies, the replies somewhat gave me a frame of reference, to begin another discussion with Customer service or better yet The Corporate store that was suggested. When I attempted to upgrade to two Iphones when they were elgible for upgrades, I ran into a huge amount of trouble resulting in orders being cancelled 6 seperate times after allowing me to place orders on line and pay for them. I was given 5 different reasons that this happened. which is how the topic of my 3000min plan came up. I was told the order was cancelled becasue one of the phones was not yet eligible for upgrade although the screen and customer service on 3 diffrent occasions confirmed that it was. Secondly I was told it was becasue I tried to upgrade two phones at once in a single transaction and I needed to do them separatly. 3rd I was told that since the cancelled orders were not yet updated in AT & T system, it was acting as if I aready did my upgrade, and was told to wait 3 working days an retry. Three working days later I retried only to receive cancel notice again. I was told that I was given in correct time frame that it actually took 7 days to update in AT & T system. In 7 days I tried again, and you guessed it , cancelled again. at which time I was told that it was due to my outdated rate plan CODE., that since the rate plan was discontinued, a mgr had to change a code in the system.  I was then told that when they put in this code it would wipe out all my16,000 rollover minutes, however as a courtesy to me they would reinstate 5000 of them iof I called them back in 3 days and have them reinstate them.  Supposedly, after that a it would work, but i t was suggested that I go into and AT &T store to purchase due to all the problems I had. Unfortunatly the store still was unable to help me 3 days afterword, and when they called Customer service and had a 30min disscusion w/ them Even then they were told that the 3 of  the 5 previous attempts were still showing as upgrades, thus still unable to complete the upgrade. I gave up after that but as a result I  lost all but 5000 rollover minutes due to the code change that I was told was necessary? 

Message 8 of 10
Guru

bbqgirl5, sorry you had so many problems trying to upgrade.  If you have/had 16,000 rollover minutes, I think you have too many plan minutes.  Your bill sounds as if it is correct at around $350 for what you have; 2 iPhones, 2 other smartphones, their data plans and family texting.  If you lower your minutes to 1400 and sign up for the A List, I bet you'd be okay.  Can you take in your bill to a store and ask them to see what they think? 

My family shares 550 minutes among four people and we had over 1100 rollover last time I checked.  The 550 minutes is more than enough most months, and when it isn't the rollover minutes kick in for us.  You have nearly five and a half times the minutes we have and only one more phone.  3000 minutes seems like an awful lot unless some or all of the phones are used for business.

As mentioned earlier, check to see how much data those four phone are using-you might be able to change to the 200mb plan which is only $15 instead of $30 for unlimited.  I have the $15 plan for my iPhone and so far I have been fine.  If those four phones have access to wifi most of the time, having a limited data plan could work and you'd pay less.

Message 9 of 10
Professor

Good to know its still available, kudos to the two of you for researching that!

Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support