$50 Plan/How can you find out if your phone will work?

Contributor

$50 Plan/How can you find out if your phone will work?

I am wanting to start getting the $50 plan. I have had the $60 for several years now. Is there any place that I can go to that will tell me if my phone will work with the $50 plan.  All it says is "certain phones".  When I was on a regular plan....I had internet capability.  I don't want to get this plan and it not work on my phone.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
Scholar

Re: $50 Plan/How can you find out if your phone will work?

All GSM phones should work with the $50 unlimited plan. There's just the limitation that smarphones can't take advantage of the unlimited internet and would still need to add a data feature package if you need 3G data (it's optional so if your phone has wi-fi, you could just use that and not sign up for a data package). As for those considered smartphones, basically that's Android, Blackberry, iOS and Windows Phone 7 currently.

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks, I really appreciate it!!!

Message 3 of 4

hnzw_rui wrote:

All GSM phones should work with the $50 unlimited plan. There's just the limitation that smarphones can't take advantage of the unlimited internet and would still need to add a data feature package if you need 3G data (it's optional so if your phone has wi-fi, you could just use that and not sign up for a data package). As for those considered smartphones, basically that's Android, Blackberry, iOS and Windows Phone 7 currently.

Hnzw_Rui is absolutely right on all counts.

AT&T does not define explicitly "smartphone" on their Terms of Service.  But we deduced, by comparing "GoPhone" and  "SmartPhone/PDA" phones offered by the market, that the one and only distinguishing "smartphone" feature was the OS.

1.  If the OS is any of {Android, Apple iOS, BlackBerry OS, Windows Mobile 7} then it is a "smartphone"

2.  Otherwise, then it is a "proprietary OS", and considered not a smarphone.

So if your are using a Samsung or HTC running something other than (1) above, then you can use unlimited data under the $50-month unlimited talk/text/data plan.

Here is  the original thread on this: http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Lesson-Learned-When-is-a-Phone-a-Smartphone-under-PrePaid/m-p/28438...

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support